FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

NEXY Calix II (Calix 2) and Qabod reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 12:17pm
Does anybody want to get rid off a Qabod FL blade? 
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 12:29am
Don't ask Hyundai TTC owner/operator wife for the Qabod I left at that club to test. She will turn into a tiger at any hint of someone trying to make her part with that blade with Calibra LT. It is a setup perfect for her fast driving attacking game. Her Amulart is getting little use these days.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2013 at 5:41pm
Is someone ready for trade - my Nexy Calix for Nexy Calix 2 ? 
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

In repairing a crack (I am hell on blades) I had to remove the handle. Like most blades, Calix is hollow in the handle. I filled the hollow space with hide glue to make it much heavier and balance lower to handle. result was real good. REALLY pleased. Calix II already had great control, but weight at mid 80s grams was way too light for me. Weight with rubbers before mod was low 180s grams. Weight after mod was 205 grams, simply a sweet weight.

Bat played faster on my fast loops, still had great control on the slower swings. Overall, a better feel for me, but personally, I feel the ball better with a heavier bat, many others do not feel this way and many do not like heavy bats for using BH. I am opposite I guess.

This heavy version of Calix II is now my favorite bat and the Qabod is at Hyundai TTC for others to test. Loved how Qabod played away from table re-looping, just a joy, but overall control of Calix II has me hooked and I like how it plays faster on my strong shots.
Slightly OT: how did you remove the handle in a clean way?

I used my wife's artist's putty knife to slowly get under the top of the blade handle. The putty knife is very thin and can get under the handle easily. Problem is, one must be very careful and work slowly a little at a time to get under and STAY under the handle. it takes some time and work to do it slowly and avoid splintering the handle. If one works slow and steady only a mm at a time, it works fine.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Slightly OT: how did you remove the handle in a clean way?

I used my wife's artist's putty knife to slowly get under the top of the blade handle. The putty knife is very thin and can get under the handle easily. Problem is, one must be very careful and work slowly a little at a time to get under and STAY under the handle. it takes some time and work to do it slowly and avoid splintering the handle. If one works slow and steady only a mm at a time, it works fine.

I see. So it's purely mechanical. Thought you'd found a way to loosen the glue.
I'll have to try that on an old Butterfly blade that I love, except for the handle. The handle was so heavily modified that it's not resembling the original anyway...
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
mg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2014 at 10:22am
Tested the Calix II with Gewo Reflexx Speed (black max) and Tibhar 5Q (red max), didn't like the combo that much especially on the FH-side. 
I had a second session with the Calix II. Like I said the first 2 hours were a bit of a dissapointment because the rubbers I have chosen (Reflexx Speed black max and 5Q red max) didn't feel that good especially the Gewo rubber (which is actually a good one) on the FH-side. The blade offers a nice direct feeedback and is definitely OFF, quite fast when you hit hard. For some reason I had problems getting enough spin on the ball and shots were often too long, only blocking was OK. It's true that I played for a first time after a 5-week break but it just didn't feel right.
So I decided to change the strategy and put a new H3 Neo (commercial) 2.15 black max on the FH and a lightly used Sigma Euro red max on the BH. This setup felt much better, I gained enough control on the FH-side and the spin was there, BH-shots also worked better because the Sigma is harder than the 5Q and I prefer harder rubbers (and I am a rather BH-oriented player). I didn't have any serious issues and adjusted quite fast to this setup, although I can't say that was able to play my best after such a short time. Overall I can say that Calix II offers a nice build quality (and it should be like that given the price), FL handle feels good and gluing/taking off rubbers is easy and safe (no idea if the blade was sealed by its owner). Still I would't buy one to play it, it's just not what I expected it to be. I would like to thank arg0 for giving me the chance to test the blade.
My feedback:

http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47297&title=mg-feedback
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 11:25pm
those are sister blades

http://boudour.com/mttn/clx2-qbd

bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 10:16am
Thank Slevin for link to 2-3 yrs old topic.

Anyone tried them with Poly balls?
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
bptse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bptse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2015 at 10:10am
Hi new poster here, I thought I'd put my review of the Calix II here.

The Nexy Calix II is a very beautiful and well-crafted paddle with a very intentional/unique design. I am really impressed with the love that the owner and designer puts into his brand and how he writes out his thought process and descriptions of all Nexy products. It’s great marketing. Being a guy that buys local and supports this type of smaller business owner I was so excited to own and use this paddle. My Calix II CP weighs below average at 78 grams. I tested the paddle with my father, who happened to also get a Calix II CP (85 grams) of his own to test. He is an 80 year old mostly defensive player with long pips and current KY bluegrass games gold medal winner. I am a close to midrange penhold attacker from both sides. I decided to put Yasaka Rising Dragon Red Max FH and a used sheet of Skyline 2 Neo Max on the BH. This setup currently weighs 179 grams. The handle feels really comfortable in the hand and not too head heavy with the hand resting open FH. I plan on switching to a softer and lighter/thinner BH rubber to get the weight down although I play quite well with hard and even tacky rubbers on my RPB. The paddle is quite thin around 5.4 mm and the burnt mahogany outer gives the paddle a nice premium look. The carbon core gives the paddle a big sweet spot and you can really tell as contact felt powerful and easy through the ball, producing a nice sound as well.

Speed – The paddle is definitely OFF but not overpoweringly so. Close range power is smooth and easily achieved whether flicking or active blocking or countering. Flat shots are deadly. Mid distance away from the table power is very good and balls easily placed.

Spin – The dwell time for this paddle is very nice helping with open loops or full loops. Even over the table power with spin can easily be achieved. My backhand short loops and flicks a couple of feet from the net were impressive. On serves backspin and wrist serves seemed to have more spin than usual. 

Control – switching between bh and fh shots are easily executed. Playing short around the net the paddle really shines whether it be with soft or aggressive strokes. Switching gears from pushing to high spin and flick shots felt beautiful. The paddle really excels in control for being an offensive paddle; and with the carbon, it still feels more like an all wood blade. Placement of shots are like throwing perfect darts.

Counter and blocks – it takes minimal effort blocking passively or actively. There are no vibrations felt in the exchange. Countering topspin with this paddle gives you an advantage.

Match play – The paddle can really finish points close to the table, from around the net and normal close range. RPB against my father or club opponents really shined. I could produce high amounts of spin countering low balls to my reverse backhand. Some counters looked like a corkscrew through the air. I had comments from many opponents about the backhand. BH loops require proper technique. FH loops came quite easy for me. More serves than usual were winners. Mixing speeds and spin were a delight. My forearm was a bit sore the next day but I did play 4.5 hours with very little rest. Overall I had the self-reliance to play better than average.

Summary:

Calix 2 seems like a looper’s blade but it executes very well with short compact and aggressive shots, whether flat or with added spin and it can slow down and play soft shots equally as impressive. The throw angle is about medium and speed very fast but the blade never feels out of control. Perhaps it’s the dwell time combined with all the attributes of this paddle that really gives you an added level of confidence executing your strokes. The paddle is great for my forearm and wrist turning. I think my RPB will really improve with this blade. In comparison to my YEO (FH Clippa, BH Tenergy 80) the speed is slightly faster with much more control. Looping is easier and blocking about the same. In comparison to my Palio Cat (FH H3 neo, BH Yasaka Rakza Soft) the speed obviously is much much faster and control a bit below. I think people wanting to spend money on a quality paddle that is different from everyone else’s, from a smaller “Indie” company if you will, would be very happy with this paddle. If you are a penholder that attacks from both sides you won’t be disappointed. I really can’t wait to build up time with this paddle for the next year.

Update: I’ve since started using andro rasant powergrip to the paddle (although I originally wanted to use a softer rubber on the BH). Both Andro and Yasaka plays very nicely on both the FH and BH. The andro plays very fast with lots of rotation. Noticeably faster and "spinnier" than any rubber I’ve ever used.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2015 at 12:24am
bptse... glad you and dad like 'em. For me, this was the best blade with my mod to the handle out of all the blades i ever modded.

A friend of mine tried out my test bat Calix II in Boston and loved it, he got one and when he broke it in a freak accident, he flashed the BAT SIGN high into the sky, called the mayor of Gotham City, and declared a national emergency until he could get one shipped to him. 

Seriously though, he REALLY likes the feel at impact and the sense of control for his kind of bang impact.
bptse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bptse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2015 at 10:12am
Hey, thanks for reading! That's a funny way to tell a tragic story about your friends paddle. I enjoyed reading everyone's reviews on all the Nexy products. It was like a freak coincidence or shear destiny that I won a chance to try the Calix 2 out. I had already read everything I could on all Nexy's test reviews. While researching blades I marked the C2 as a dream paddle for the future as I really don't have $170 and a wife's forgiveness to spend that much on a blade. It was soon after that one day I was bored and went to look at Nexy's webpage specials and noticed the paddle was $0 and you could add it to your cart and it was marked Facebook special. Well of course I immediately went to Facebook and noticed they were giving away 4 paddles to test. Anyway I loved reviewing the paddle and if anyone on here wanted to pass a different test paddle along for another review I would be glad to test it and post reviews wherever I can and send it back. This kind of stuff is really fun for me. To me this is the only way these paddles and brand can get any exposure to regular people looking for a good product before they either spend their hard earned money or can get their hands on them.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2015 at 10:32am
you have 3 posts. It takes more than just a paragraph and 3 posts for someone to ship you a blade that you MIGHT just keep for yourself.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
bptse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bptse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2015 at 1:54pm
I agree; I wasn't even thinking. I guess it is quite optimistic and naive of me to think of someone being so trusting. The only reason I posted on here was because someone at Nexy named DaLim Park asked that I send them a link to an online review so I put one here and what would fit on TTDB.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic