Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What produces a solid feeling to a blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What produces a solid feeling to a blade?
    Posted: 11/05/2012 at 12:17pm
Blades can be described as solid or hollow. I personally like blades with solid feeling.

Is it hardness, stiffness, types of wood, and/or types of synthetic materials? And of course, thickness of each layer, and of the whole blade?
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2012 at 12:35pm
Balsa makes blades hollow. In many cases carbon has the same effect. Sound rubbers make them hollow, Yinhe makes them hollow, etc. Not exploiting these and similar factors makes the blades solid.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2012 at 1:50pm
i believe blade mass helps to produce a solid feeling. My Darker Speed 90 is pretty solid altough it is a hinoki 1-ply wood. But I also have a Spintech Phenom which is thick (7.5mm) and it is solid as well.
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2012 at 1:56pm
Yes, you are correct on all counts, everyone has their own preferences hence you'll see some preferring along with blade composition...''weight".
You can either do some research and EJing till you find a good setup hopefully with the research EJing won't be too costly.

It also help to try others blades for a few hours which i think is best ...most players i hope have such consideration to share as there is no real secrets in any sport just practice.
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2012 at 2:53pm
Only two aspects that I can think of.

Firstly it's the amount of vibration. The less vibration there is the more solid a blade would feel.

Secondly, it's the weight. The heavier a set up is, the more solid it will feel.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2012 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by loop+loop loop+loop wrote:

Secondly, it's the weight. The heavier a set up is, the more solid it will feel.
Not necessarily. My Spinech Phenom is very light (72g) and is super solid.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2012 at 10:30am
Less vibration usually means more hollowness.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2012 at 10:41am
Timo boll spirit has no vibration and is not hollow at all.

You need core from strong wood for a solid feeling. Ayous and Koto are strong woods.. i don't know all of them. Balsa is the worst possible core that one can pick for a blade. Most donic blades have balsa core and feel dead and hollow. 

Get any of the Timo Boll series blades, they have very strong core. 

Xiom Zetro Quad is a very interesting blade. It has no vibration but is somewhat elastic, and very fast, and you would expect it to feel like a strong core, but it almost feels like balsa. I can't feel any core in that blade. It is like you play with blade with 9 plies of the same thickness that are just glued together
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2012 at 12:18pm
Thanks to everyone for your insights.

Of two blades, which one feels more solid:

first one: hardness increases from outside to inside (soft outer layers, core being hardest),
second one: hardness decreases from outside to inside (hardest outer layers, core being softest)? 

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2012 at 1:38pm
This is a difficult question.  To keep things simple, the mode of vibration - which is composed of a natural frequency with a corresponding mode shape -  of a blade looks to be the x factor here.  Any blade can have an infinite number of modes, and the first and second modes are of particular interest here as the frequencies of which usually fall within the vibrotactile range(~1000Hz) of the human hand.  Most if not all properties listed by the OP plus headsize, damping and so on interact with each other in a complex way to define the modes.

Speaking from past experience, stiffer, thicker and/or heavier blades tend to feel more solid.  For example, many people have reflected that Stiga blades on the lighter side usually feel hollow and vibrate more.  Personally I have tried an Ebenholz VII weighing in the upper 90s that felt very solid and a Rosewood VII in the low to mid 90s that although not as stiff as the former still vibrated way less than an Offensive NCT in the low 90s.  There are exceptions to that, however.  People have reported the first few batches of the Rosewood XO are very light(most come in the low 80s), yet still feel solid during play.  For synthetic blades from Butterfly, the Arylate fiber seems to provide much higher damping than other fibers.  Anyone who has owned one knows well enough, those blades don't vibrate much even when hit off-center really hard and any residue vibrations induced die out very quickly.

Edited by zeio - 11/06/2012 at 1:41pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2012 at 1:45pm

Edited by assiduous - 11/06/2012 at 2:09pm
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2012 at 1:47pm
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2012 at 2:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic