Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Tibhar Evolution FX-P

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vihito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vihito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Tibhar Evolution FX-P
    Posted: 01/11/2013 at 3:26pm
Today I received my new Tibhar Evolution FX-P rubber.I'll write down my impressions* of the rubber.

1. Packaging
 I wouldn't normally do a review on the packaging, but indeed this one is really intriging. On the front you can see the logo and model name + many words written in Japanese (it may be the same). You can see the sticker that tenergy has, but it says 2.1-2.2 in stead of only 2.1(like Tenergy). It has the ITTF logo as well as the JTTA approval.
    On the back it has the usual "cheap talk", interesting thing is it's written in 8 languages Shocked. The languages are Japanese, Corean, Chinese, English, German, French, Spanish and Russian. This has to do something with the rubber production*, because there is no label "made in Japan" on the packaging or on the rubber itself. There is a new sign "RPS - red power sponge technology" and "Pro Tension - maximum grip". Surprisingly on the back you can see the ITTF number of the rubber. 
    Sponge thicknesses: [~1.7/1.8]  [~1.9/2.0]  [~2.1/2.2]
    Sponge hardness: [~JPN 30.0-31.5]  [~EUR 39.1-41.1]
    Spin: [JPN-11.0]  Speed: [JPN-12.5]

2. Bare rubber
   After removing the packaging you can see that the sponge is extremely porous, and is NOT the same color as Tenergy. When pressing with finger to 05, FX-P feels very soft, a little bit softer that O5FX. The rubber has a strange smell that I couldn't recognise at first, but when I got home I remembered the exact same smell of the Tibhar Geniuses that I bought 2 years ago.*

3. Feel
   When I hit a few balls with the rubber, I instantly felt the super strong catapult efect. If you are looking for a rubber that "kicks", this is it. It passes Tenergy or any other ESN product in that term. The FX-P version is very soft, but extremely grippy ! Doing a heavy topspin against underspin is just unbelievable easy, the ball goes right into the sponge, even if you go for a short stoke.The sound is so loud, that it reminds me of a fresh glued rubber in the speed glue times. This is the ESNrubber that I find the closest to a speed glued rubber.

4. Throw
   The throw is lower than 05, even lower than 64. But when you do a topspin the ball bounces really low to your opponent, and that is something I like.

5. Control
   The overall control isn't the rubber's power. Compared to 05 and 64 it lacks control and has a worse shorter game. 

6. Spin
   Spin is good, I'll say somewhere between 05 and 64, over the table I prefer it when doing a banana flick, but the short game kind of equalises it with the tenergy family. Interesting that when you go to long and medium distances the sponge acts like a spring and punches the ball with alot of power. 

7. Speed 
   More thant 05, equal or slightly more that 64, but again, less control.

So to come to an end let me answer some questions myself.

Is this a tenergy replacement ? I would say no. Some player might like it, some may not. It has very good characteristics, but they still can't achieve the tenergy feel.
Is it like the other ESN rubbers ? Not quite. In my oppinion this series of rubbers are one level higher than other products (Rasant, Blufire e.t.c.)
Will I recommend this rubber ? Yes, definitely. This will replace my T64 from the backhand and I'll encourage anyone who is intrigued by the review to buy it.

*I have tested the rubber for 4-5 hours on a BTY Viscaria blade (with T05 on the other side) only on the backhand, it does not suit my forehand due to hardness and throw.
*I do not claim that I know and do not assume where is the location of rubber production.

Edited by Vihito - 01/11/2013 at 4:54pm
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2013 at 4:28pm
Great review, good info, many thanks.  The low throw definitely sounds interesting . 

How is the weight? As heavy as T05?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Vihito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vihito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2013 at 4:49pm
I don't have a scale. Just by playing I can say it's about the same, or a tad bit less.
If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to asnwer them.
I'll write more tomorrow.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2013 at 5:20pm
Sounds like a very soft and very springy rubber with lots of catapult - horrible rubber, by my standards. Embarrassed
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2013 at 5:24pm
i think control can be fixed by getting the harder versions. Dang.. i need to try it.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Vihito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vihito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2013 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

i think control can be fixed by getting the harder versions. Dang.. i need to try it.

I'm considering buying the MX-P for the forehand. I'm just not used to buying things I don't really need.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2013 at 3:45pm
How would you think this rubber would perform harder sponge? (EL-P)
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2013 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Great review, good info, many thanks.  The low throw definitely sounds interesting . 

How is the weight? As heavy as T05?

Weight is same as T64 so just a bit less than T05 but as usual it can depend on the sheet you get I guess. 

The throw is not low, it is lower than T64 but it doesn't mean it's actually really low. 
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2013 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

MX-P has more control and is less bouncy but it is way harder because it's harder than T05 and FX-P is softer than T64FX so you can imagine the difference. 
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2013 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

How would you think this rubber would perform harder sponge? (EL-P)

EL-P does not only have harder sponge but also different pimple structure, which I don't know if it is harder or softer because I didn't try it yet. Here it says it is more elastic whatever that means: http://www.tabletennis11.com/eur_eng/tt-rubber-tibhar-evolution-el-p#.UPHm3CcakhE

"EVOLUTION EL-P is the most elastic rubber of the EVOLUTION rubber series. EL-P with its medium sponge perfectly fits in between the harder MX-P or MX-S and the softer FX-P and thus completes the EVOLUTION series. The selected pimple geometry of the elastic EL-P does not even come close to the other EVOLUTION versions in terms of spin and speed. Very precise and powerful strokes can be realised at half distance or at the table. EVOLUTION EL-P: chosen by most of the Topspin players for whom the MX version is too hard and the FX version too soft, however putting the emphasis on rotation and power."

Edited by ttping85 - 01/12/2013 at 5:45pm
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2013 at 5:46pm
Really great review by the way!!! ClapClapClap
redyborde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redyborde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2014 at 1:12am
Any more opinions about this rubber?
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2014 at 4:10am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Sounds like a very soft and very springy rubber with lots of catapult - horrible rubber, by my standards. Embarrassed

yup, i can pretty much scratch this off my EJ to do list.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2014 at 11:16am

haha JimT likes hitting through the ball a lot and such rubbers are his cup of tea for that.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2014 at 11:22am
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

yup, i can pretty much scratch this off my EJ to do list.

Among the tensor rubbers of this hardness it is the least springy one with lots of control. 
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2014 at 11:26am
FX-P is an FX rubber, but it doesn't play as soft as any FX mushy rubber I have ever used. Aurus has a very hard sponge, but the rubber doesn't play anywhere near its hardness rating. It is all due to the topsheet, very supple like new leather on a new sheet.

FX-P is like a juicier Aurus. Better on loop to loop rallies, better in creating heavy spin on opening loops, better in blocking through the ball, better in soft touch topspin defense.

On a stiff and fast blade, this is a great FH rubber. I would never say that about an FX rubber, ever. This thing does not play soft. Just like T05, you should use a positive stroke to get what you like outta this thing.

One measure of the spin is how fast the spin dips the ball down away from opponent at mid-distance.

When I loopdrive with Aurus, the ball goes long enough to opponent, the opponent can generally be under pressure, but still execute a retrieve or fish. With FX-P, the ball dips earlier and more suddenly. This troubles my opponents a lot more, who are used to me using Aurus on the same blade. Close to the table FX performs well for me, whether it is blocking the ball, making a soft topspin return to those wide FH balls or pocket jam shots, and my openers are loaded.

I am obviously very happy with either Aurus or FX-P, both rubbers are right up my alley.
Dorje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 8:05am

I agree with everything what BH-Man said and with almost nothing what Vihitos impressions of FX-P rubber is.

For me Tibhar FX-P is love hate relationship because I like everything about how it performs when you play with it, but there is a catch.

I hate this rubber because is highly boosted and it changes its playability week after week. It is also not durable enough for its price. Edges like to crumble. Topsheet loses grip significantly after one month. It also shrinks very much after some time. So for me it is not worth it. 

I can see that this is not a problem for sponsored professionals who can change to the new rubber very often, but for hobby players there are more reasonable rubbers out there.

Timo Boll Spirit An

Fh: Joola Rhyzm Max red

Bh: Tibhar Aurus Max black
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Dorje Dorje wrote:

I agree with everything what BH-Man said and with almost nothing what Vihitos impressions of FX-P rubber is.

For me Tibhar FX-P is love hate relationship because I like everything about how it performs when you play with it, but there is a catch.

I hate this rubber because is highly boosted and it changes its playability week after week. It is also not durable enough for its price. Edges like to crumble. Topsheet loses grip significantly after one month. It also shrinks very much after some time. So for me it is not worth it. 

I can see that this is not a problem for sponsored professionals who can change to the new rubber very often, but for hobby players there are more reasonable rubbers out there.

That is the main reason I don't use the Evolution series.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 3:30pm
Nice review. How much does it weigh? It seems to be a great rubber for my type of game style but in my experience Tibhars older rubbers have been a bit to heavy for my taste. 
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Fehrplay Fehrplay wrote:

Nice review. How much does it weigh? It seems to be a great rubber for my type of game style but in my experience Tibhars older rubbers have been a bit to heavy for my taste. 

I don't have a scale and I have not handled a lot of modern tensors.  Just by feel from taking the rubber out of package and gluing to blade, FX-P is easily the heaviest rubber I have handled, and I was only handling a 1.7 fx-p.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 6:06pm
 Tuco, my FX-P cut is 47 grams. Inspirit runs a lot higher. It was 50 grams on my Genote cut.

Edited by BH-Man - 09/19/2014 at 6:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic