FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tear Mender in Singapore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tear Mender in Singapore
    Posted: 01/14/2013 at 2:25am
To those forum member who are living in Singapore, please let me know where I can buy tear mender in Singapore.
Thank you.

Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Sponsored Links

Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 10:24am
It is not available in Sg.
I love cheap and good blades that suit my game...
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 10:33am
can't you find/order it from Amazon.com or Ebay?
Anderni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 10:46am
 Find out what tear mender is (water based latex cement?) and you should be able to find an equivalent in a hardware or general or crafts store.   

Edited by Anderni - 01/15/2013 at 10:47am
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 9:44pm
I am hearing bad news Cry.
Tiehwen, it is strange but true, tear mender is the second item that Amazon cannot deliver to Indonesia. The first refused item was wind chime !
I don't know what is the reason, but they refused to send it even when I tried to give them an address in Singapore. The only thing I have bought from Amazon without any problem are CDs.
Anderni, I try to avoid water based glue, therefore I am looking fore tear mender. Water based glue for table tennis is easy to find here.

Edited by aeoliah - 01/15/2013 at 9:45pm
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2013 at 7:15am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

Anderni, I try to avoid water based glue, therefore I am looking fore tear mender. Water based glue for table tennis is easy to find here.

Well, I'm not sure why you avoid water-based glues, but in that case you would have been disappointed anyway.  That's because Tearmender is very similar to the water-based latex glues that table tennis companies sell.  It is white, smells exactly the same, behaves pretty much the same -- although if you dilute it 80 parts Tearmender:20 parts water before using it, I find it comes off of blades and rubbers somewhat easier.  Also that keeps it from drying too fast.  (Thanks to debraj for providing that important hint for how to best use this product, it helps a lot).  The main advantages?  Price and instant availability.  It is much much cheaper, and at least in US, you can buy it at pretty much any hardware store.  Also, when diluted, tends to come off rackets and rubbers a little bit easier than say, Butterfly glue or Donic Vario glue.  But basically it is the same type of stuff and it has been around forever.  TT companies just jacked up the price because it was for TT.

Edited by Baal - 01/16/2013 at 7:19am
Anderni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2013 at 7:31am

Yep. What I meant was that if you go to a hardware store in Singapore and ask for water-based latex cement/adhesive, they will probably have something very similar to tear mender or indeed TT WBG, but cheaper.

more info: http://www.phoenixtabletennisclub.org/index.php?sitelg=en&p=art&article_id=7 maybe you can find the CopyDex mentioned in this article.

Edited by Anderni - 01/16/2013 at 7:34am
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2013 at 5:21am
Hi Baal, The Tear Mender i have in mind is not water based, so it should be not possible to dilute it with water.

Hi Anderni, problem is I don't want water based glue. However if I cannot find what I want, then I would have to buy it. They are readily available in the local table tennis shop.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

debbieg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2013 at 11:03am
Good news! Tear Mender is available in Singapore from me! :)

http://www.fantasticfindonline.com/products/tear-mender
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2013 at 9:16pm

Hi Baal, The Tear Mender i have in mind is not water based, so it should be not possible to dilute it with water.

Hi Anderni, problem is I don't want water based glue. However if I cannot find what I want, then I would have to buy it. They are readily available in the local table tennis shop.

Wow, now I'm not sure what exact product you are looking for.  Tear Mender is a white water-based latex glue manufactured since 1932 (or so they claim) by " Val-A Chicago, Inc.". Their website is  http://www.tearmender.com/ and you can even follow them on Twitter -- which I suppose someone would do if they have no life whatsoever.  It is quite similar to the glues sold by TT companies.   I am pretty sure there is no other product by the same name.  I couldn't find one by searching for a little while.  Interestingly, I learned that some people use it for training the ears of puppies.  I'm not sure what that means.  I'm not a puppy but speaking for myself, my ears are just fine and don't need training. 
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2013 at 9:28pm

You might be looking for rubber cement? Tear mender is water based.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2013 at 9:37pm
Yes, I am guessing he is thinking of rubber cement?  Definitely not water-based and should be easy to find.

Back, in the day, one of my friends made a pretty nasty speed glue by mixing rubber cement with lighter fluid and some other solvent.  It was a diabolical brew that stank like the river Styx, but boy, did it ever have sound on his blade!

Edited by Baal - 01/31/2013 at 9:39pm
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2013 at 10:33pm
Ouch ! So Tear Mender is water based. Then I am not interested. Thanks for all the informations !
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic