tabletennis11.com

What do you think of XIOM?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you think of XIOM?
    Posted: 01/26/2013 at 7:50pm
Korean TT manufacturer XIOM made quite an impact on the TT equipment market a few years back, with a spectecular website, fancy packaging, detailed descriptions and charts, and a full range of equipment rivalling many other top products on the market. It seemed to be the talk of the TT forums too, where you'd see another thread about XIOM surface just about every day.
Talk has settled down quite a bit, although they continue to come up new products.
For those of you that have tried their stuff, do you think they as good (or better) as other brands? What do you think are some of the best products to date?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2013 at 7:57pm
Stradivarius is a decent blade (TB-ALC is better IMHO) and they market a bunch of standard issue ESN rubbers of various sorts.  Nothing exceptional about the rubbers compared to the ones sold by Donic, Joola, Andro et al.  The build quality of the blades is very high and they are moderately priced compared to BTY at least (on average about 60% of the price for stuff made of comparable materials).  Their blades tend to be fairly light weight.  Handle shape is always an issue for me, often kind of flat and thin.  Many of their composite blades are far too stiff, thick and fast -- at least for awhile they were like that.  Axelo, Ignito for example, almost unplayable.   I haven't tried their latest ones  (Zetro whatevers or the infinite series of Hayabusa blades) because the previous ones I had tried were pretty disappointing.  I wanted very much to like them, but didn't. The new ones do seem to be getting more buzz.  One thing about them is that they introduce and discontinue new blades faster than any other major maker.  They have always tried to make it sound very "scientific" with glitzy graphs and websites that take forever to load.  At the very beginning all their blades had egg-shaped heads because of "science" and then suddenly they were all discontinued except for the Strad -- which was redesigned with a normal shaped head.

Edited by Baal - 01/26/2013 at 8:08pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2013 at 8:03pm
I think XIOM is following Butterfly model: high end awesome quality well finished blades; performing rubbers. 
I am happy they are catching  (or have caught) up with Butterfly because I believe it will put pressure on prices to become more reasonable.
About blades: I thought first the Stradivarius then the Zetro Quad and finally the Hayabusa series of blades definitely made them at the top on par with Butterfly; I am convinced they are there to stay.
I am not knowledgeable at all about their rubbers as I only tried a few of theirs.
I am definitely a fan of their blades and I cant wait the next series this summer, announced to me by the head of the development division of XIOM a couple weeks ago when I asked about the composition of the Hayabusa series (I had no answer as it's top secret Cry).

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2013 at 8:10pm
Definitely anything that would tend to force prices down would be a good thing.  
jatienza930 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jatienza930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2013 at 8:57pm
I owned a Xiom Axelo once and I was amazed at the quality of the plies and the finish of blade. Its just too bad that I dont like the handle shape otherwise I would keep it. Performance wise its as fast as they say it is, just a tad slower than the SC. Its the price to quality ratio thats so nice about xiom products. Clap
BTY TBS FL
T05
T64

My Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56638&KW=jen&title=jatienza930-buy-sell-feedback
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2013 at 9:00pm
They do a good esn rubber. The blades are very good and well built, problem with them is the default Korean handle which is worthless and one of the worst handles on the market in a market full of crapy handles. So thats a deal breaker for me

Edited by bluebucket - 01/26/2013 at 9:02pm
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2013 at 9:08pm
I actually find it very annoying the Asian manufacturers continue building handles that only fit one race of humans. Imagine a suit company that made all different size and style jackets.... and only size extra small arms on all of them..
Wyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2013 at 9:19pm
Personally I am a big fan of Xiom. Although I only own one of their blades, (solo) I am very impressed with the craftsmanship of the blade. As opposed to Baal, I feel that Xiom has nice fat handles (maybe I have small hands?). I personally like the handle on my solo as much as I like the legend handle on my rosewood. In terms of their rubbers, I feel they're a great value for the money. I am big fan of the vega series of rubbers (tried pro, euro, china) and sigma and omega series. Admittedly, I agree there are better rubbers, but I am hard pressed to find such a good rubber for $33, like vega. Overall I love what Xiom is doing by putting out a great product for a great price.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2013 at 9:30pm
A bunch of their blades are at least as good as Butterfly's or Stiga's etc.

Also their lines of Vega and Omega rubbers are pretty good and not very expensive. I myself like Omega IV Asia a lot. But Vegas and O4 Europe have very good reputation as well.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2013 at 11:25pm
not impressed.. their rubbers are just mostly rebadge of german rubbers. Blades look fancy but they don't have anything that are considered signature blades of other well established brands.
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2013 at 11:28pm
The first Xiom blade I ever tried was V1, but didn't quite like it because of thickness, but then I tried Stradivarius and I've been hooked ever since. I played with Yasaka and Donic mostly before that, but when I decided to try a carbon blade, Yasaka only offered few which I didn't quite like and Donic didn't have any appealing non senso carbon blades that I liked either.

I think Xiom made a great progression forward, but just like any growing company it is still learning how to get a bigger piece of the market. For blades, quality wise, I think its on top along with Butterfly and Nittaku. Price wise they are better than both. Selection wise, I like their smaller selection. Seems many other brands offer many types of equipment of identical kind with different names or very minimal differences. Xiom on the other hand has very specific choices.

Regarding Xiom handles, I didn't like the handles at first either. I used anatomic handles most of the time by other brands, but as I got to using Stradivarius more often, I got more comfortable and actually have an easier time adjusting to any other blade handles.

Rubber wise, I am not 100% sold on Xiom. The biggest problem I have is a confusing large selection of varying kinds of rubbers and the multitude of sponges offered. The Pro/Elite/Asia/ and whatever other convention is somewhat difficult to understand. For me I have to go back and review each characteristic since I can't recall which one has more spin and speed ratio. Price wise, the rubbers also come off a bit more expensive than Donic counterparts, so Donic has remained my #1 choice for rubbers.

I do however, look forward to further products, offerings, accessories, and expansion by Xiom. I think the brand will continue growing.

Back to table tennis...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2013 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Wyo Wyo wrote:

Personally I am a big fan of Xiom. Although I only own one of their blades, (solo) I am very impressed with the craftsmanship of the blade. As opposed to Baal, I feel that Xiom has nice fat handles (maybe I have small hands?). I personally like the handle on my solo as much as I like the legend handle on my rosewood. In terms of their rubbers, I feel they're a great value for the money. I am big fan of the vega series of rubbers (tried pro, euro, china) and sigma and omega series. Admittedly, I agree there are better rubbers, but I am hard pressed to find such a good rubber for $33, like vega. Overall I love what Xiom is doing by putting out a great product for a great price.

Maybe not your hands, maybe they made a fat handle on the Solo?  I've never seen one of those so can't comment.  Strad, Axelo, Ignito handles all pretty thin (in flare, I've never seen their straight -- thin in the axis that is perpendicular to the blade face).  Several people have commented on this.  The manufacturer with the antidote to this is Tibhar.  Distinctly larger handles.   

Edited by Baal - 01/26/2013 at 11:44pm
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2013 at 11:47pm
Leshxa brought up a lot of good points so instead of just say the same thing others have said, I'd just like to add my input to some of his points. 

Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

I think Xiom made a great progression forward, but just like any growing company it is still learning how to get a bigger piece of the market. For blades, quality wise, I think its on top along with Butterfly and Nittaku. Price wise they are better than both.

I absolutely agree with all of the above. I have nothing to add but only express my agreement to stress this point, as I think it's important.

Selection wise, I like their smaller selection. Seems many other brands offer many types of equipment of identical kind with different names or very minimal differences. Xiom on the other hand has very specific choices.

It's a well known fact in behavioral sciences, neuroeconomics, and good ol' business marketing that, although people like a certain amount of choices, TOO MANY choices results in a greater deal of dissatisfaction. There is a threshold at which people can no longer be satisfied with any purchase/selection they make because with so many choices they have that constant nagging feeling of "the grass is always greener on the other side". I am almost completely convinced that the TT market know this fact of human psychology and exploit it quite effectively... and hence the market flooded with blade and rubber choices that vary very little between models and subsequent generations. 

Regarding Xiom handles, I didn't like the handles at first either. I used anatomic handles most of the time by other brands, but as I got to using Stradivarius more often, I got more comfortable and actually have an easier time adjusting to any other blade handles.

I preferred their older FL handles as they were much larger than now. The current generation of blades have handles like so many other companies out there--which is to say, way too small. I do, however, love their ST handles. Very comfortable. 

Rubber wise, I am not 100% sold on Xiom. The biggest problem I have is a confusing large selection of varying kinds of rubbers and the multitude of sponges offered. The Pro/Elite/Asia/ and whatever other convention is somewhat difficult to understand. For me I have to go back and review each characteristic since I can't recall which one has more spin and speed ratio. Price wise, the rubbers also come off a bit more expensive than Donic counterparts, so Donic has remained my #1 choice for rubbers.

XIOM rubbers, IMO, are no better or worse than all the other ESN rubbers out there. I'm kinda "done" with ESN rubbers so... I really don't care much about what they offer in this regard anymore.

I do however, look forward to further products, offerings, accessories, and expansion by Xiom. I think the brand will continue growing.

I absolutely agree. I just hope they try to innovate a bit more (especially in the rubber department) rather than just branding the most recent generation of ESN rubber. I know they recently released a non-ESN rubber. I'd be interested in trying that. 

On the whole, their quality (even on their made in China blades) is as good or better than any company out there. I hope they continue to grow. 

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
SteveWAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveWAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 12:31am
I used the Xiom Zeta Max Red European version for about 1 year, and loved the rubber and the $35.00 price I was getting it for,  but now its not imported into US anymore and my last order had to come from Australia via Ebay.
So I gave up on it and switched to Tenergy 05 FX.
But I would still be w/Xiom Zeta if the source had not dried up, the rubber is excellent for Power and Control. Will Henzel gave a very positive review on it couple years back 
Steve
Steve Adams Foster City, CA.

My Email
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 12:54am
havent tried any of the blades .

rather pleased with rubber price and performance, low point would be the strength of the rubber, rather easy to break
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 1:45am
XIOM blades are beauties (tried seven of them). Good solid feel in contradistinction to most Andro and TSP blades. Wide ST handles are very comfortable. Rubbers are excellent (tried 8 models) but seem too fragile. Tau however looked sturdy. Musa has to be speed glued in order to perform.
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 2:21am
Best straight handles in the business. And I think their rubbers are very good bang for the buck.
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 5:04am
i like the Zetro Quad and V1 Quad blades, the Hinoki Carbon are too fast like the Schlager Carbon. 
agree about the rubbers, good price for performance. I still prefer my Nittaku Wooden blades
RSM Special Platinum T64
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 5:12am
the older xiom blades such as the aria and amadeus are my favorites. too bad they dont make these blades anymore

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 5:23am
I recently sold my last XIOM rubber and gave up on them and not buying any more. Vega, Omaga, Sigma, ... euro, pro, asia.. they all have this sponge feel on contact that i find very unpleasant. Like they used a kitchen sponge.

The blades are really pretty and good deal at their price points but if you are looking for the best you have to go to Bty anyway.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 6:54am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Vega, Omaga, Sigma, ... euro, pro, asia.. they all have this sponge feel on contact that i find very unpleasant. Like they used a kitchen sponge.

SO you don't get this 'sponge' feel with other ESN rubbers?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 8:55am
Most of the other soft ESN rubbers are just popcorns.
watchski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 9:16am
Its hard to beat the Hayabusa Series.  There is a lot of thread's on that blade.   I am selling one here..   (in the FS Section).  but check out the gorgeous craftmanship.  
I believe Xiom makes amazing blades.   
Xiom Hayabusa Z+   
Here are the pictures:
https://plus.google.com/photos/111938578827382898143/albums/5837978487237598833?authkey=CN2J2LXs64qfjwE

The Hayabusa Z+ is a world-class light weight racquet made of 5 plies of exquisite hard wood and 2 plies mico-thin Zephylium polymer layers. Superb drive offense with a sharper feel! New Power-Blade.

The Hayabusa Z+ is designed to perform at the highest level. Made from the perfect balance of pristine hardwood, combined with two perfectly placed ultra thin layers of Zepheylium carbon polymer mesh, the Hyabusa Z+ is a high performance blade engineered to perfection. 

The Hayabusa Z+ produces a sharp feel upon ball contact coupled with flexibility to create outstanding spin and drive. The result a unique outstanding extra ball force, leveraged spin and sufficient ball feel.

Layers: Hard Wood 5 Carbon 2

Blade Type: Offensive

Thickness: 5.7 mm

Weight: 86.5 grams

Xiom is proud to present its new HAYABUSA models. After years of research and painstaking manufacturing and empirical testing, the engineers at Xiom have unleashed the next generation of wood blades, designed to perform for you at the highest level. The groundbreaking construction and unprecedented vibration mechanism define these racquets.

Superbly engineered by combining the best hardwoods layers with the perfect mix of Zephyllian carbon mesh polymer make these blades the best produced on the planet today!

Blades:
Ross Leidy (Nemesis)
Ross Leidy (Canxan)
Ross Leidy (Rapscallion)
Infinity VPS

Rubbers:
Nittaku S-1
Tenergy 80FX 1.9mm
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 9:42am
For what it's worth, Xiom is the incarnation of the old Champion brand. Around 2004 they decided they want to penetrate the high end table tennis equipment market and as it stands, it's much harder to convince people your old dusty Champion is the new high-end Champion - hence the name change. Not that it matters at our end, just an interesting fact.
watchski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 10:01am
Interesting. It makes me not like it quite as much.   I agree.  it wouldn't be as successful if it was still the "old champion" brand.   Marketers are smart.    
Blades:
Ross Leidy (Nemesis)
Ross Leidy (Canxan)
Ross Leidy (Rapscallion)
Infinity VPS

Rubbers:
Nittaku S-1
Tenergy 80FX 1.9mm
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 10:16am
I like very much the Sigma rubbers. I use Sigma I and II Pro and can't be happier. Recently I tried Sigma I Euro and I am even more impressed. I don't agree that they are the same as the rest ESN rubbers(e.g. Bluefire M1,1Q,5Q)Very different actually with more Japanese feel than the typical ESN
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 10:34am
I think the future is good for Xiom. One thing they need to do is to stop manufacturing Omega 3- and only offer modern rubbers to the general public. They need to stick to what they're good at, super fast ESN rubbers, not SP's and only LP's once they have the experience. My advice to Xiom is to keep making new rubbers, and stop manufacturing old rubbers, since that way, Xiom has already caught up with Butterfly. The problem is that not ALL of their products are of Butterfly quality, only some notable ones, Hayabusa, Strad and Omega/Vega/Sigma series.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 10:36am
Xiom rubbers are very good. My favorites are Xiom Omega IV Asia and Omega Europa. Like Kolev said they feel different from other ESN rubbers. They are more durable and feel more japanese.
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

The problem is that not ALL of their products are of Butterfly quality, only some notable ones, Hayabusa, Strad and Omega/Vega/Sigma series.

The list can be significantly extended. All Xiom blades I tried are top notch. Beside Zetro Quad and Strad I currently use, I speak about Extreme S, Ignito and Strato. Tau is very good and quite close resembles Chinese rubbers at their best, Musa is a great BH rubber, Zava short pips are actually very nice to play with. My son uses Xiom backpack and I see how comfortable and stylish it is. So, if Xiom will continue doing what they are doing now and keep their prices reasonable, they indeed should have bright future Smile
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Vega, Omaga, Sigma, ... euro, pro, asia.. they all have this sponge feel on contact that i find very unpleasant. Like they used a kitchen sponge.

SO you don't get this 'sponge' feel with other ESN rubbers?
absolutely not. All xiom rubbers have a unique sponge feel. To contrast it with the touch that Tenergy or Tenzone or Rhyzm have, those three feel like the topsheet and the sponge is one homogenous material that feels like soft elastic rubber. The XIOM rubbers feel different, i feel the sponge more than the topsheet and if feels not rubber-like but kitchen sponge like. I am not criticizing them in any way though, it is really a matter of personal preference. The highest player in our club, a 2350, uses Sigma and his style is beatutiful looping, so i know the rubber is good enough for sure. Many other good players use it too. 

It is just a personal preference. I gave up on koto outer layers as well. Don't like. I know all top pros use Koto for outer plies because it has better control than limba, but I am addicted to limba and can't help it. May be if i crack 2000 one day i won't need the dwell time of limba any more and can move to Koto. And Xiom, who knows :)
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic