Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Why single-ply Hinoki blade is so special?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

If there is a limit on the total thickness of the paddle, with 1-ply Hinoki blade being 9 to 10 mm thick, one has to be careful to choose rubber/sponge's thickness in order to stay within the limit.

To my knowledge, there is no such limit. Your blade can be as thick or big as you like, however, making it to big might become a problem as most rubbers sheets aren't that much bigger then a "regular" paddle.
The holy grail
Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 8:54pm
Yes there is no limit on total thickness... my own blade is 17mmm thick, and that's without rubbers!Big smile

One issue is that the handles become thicker too, which you may or may not like. Weight is an issue too, so unless it's a really light wood, most blades would become too heavy.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

If there is a limit on the total thickness of the paddle, with 1-ply Hinoki blade being 9 to 10 mm thick, one has to be careful to choose rubber/sponge's thickness in order to stay within the limit.

To my knowledge, there is no such limit. Your blade can be as thick or big as you like, however, making it to big might become a problem as most rubbers sheets aren't that much bigger then a "regular" paddle.
================================

You may very well be right. 
I saw some videos (ITTF sanctioned events), the umpires were using some kind of gadget to measure player's paddle's thickness.  (Many of you must have seen that also.)

*** So they measure the paddle's thickness, but they can not reject the paddle from the measurement.

Edited by skip3119 - 03/20/2013 at 9:56pm
skip3119
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 10:49pm
single ply hinoki is amazing for JPen, great touch, feel and power when you need it, the reason for the cost is that i guess because the Hinoki they use is old and selected carefully and also the demand for high quality hinoki, also less sinlge ply hinoki blades are sold when you compare with 5ply etc.  . i have a Xiom Athen Platinum RSM Special T64, what a blade to play with, also have Cypress-S with Spinart. 
when i used Single ply for shake hand, it did not go well. too thick and not good for my BH flick. i am not entirely sure what it is but it just did not feel right for me.
RSM Special Platinum T64
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2013 at 1:25am
I am currently experimenting the Xiom Axelo because I am out of a shoulder injury and I want to put the ball away without going 100%. It looks like I do best with it killing or gently redirecting with in mind a kill next shot; nothing in between. The pushing game is of course awful. I place the 1-ply hinoki blades in the same category no matter the grip: we kill the ball or we redirect it; above all we avoid pushes. 1-ply fast soft blades will work that way but that's not necessarily the way a player learnt to play starting with a sh/5ply all wood grip. It's all about balance (her again! Wink) between what's best to do with the blade we choose and what's the best blade for what we really want to do. LOL

I like the saying: "the wise man speaks because he has something to say and the fool does because he has to say something" (Plato).

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2013 at 3:11am

Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

================================

I saw some videos (ITTF sanctioned events), the umpires were using some kind of gadget to measure player's paddle's thickness.  (Many of you must have seen that also.)

*** So they measure the paddle's thickness, but they can not reject the paddle from the measurement.

Actually, they just mearure the thickness of the coverings (rubbers), which must be no more than 4 mm each. To my knowledge, there is no limit to the thickness of the blade.

Nittaku Miyabi is a reasonably priced 9mm Kiso Hinoki blade, however it is shakehand FL only.

Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2013 at 4:59am

The gadget they use is to measure the rubbers thickness and to see that the surface is flat/even.
The holy grail
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2013 at 6:36am
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I couldn´t agree more. I have a Speed 90 shakehand and it is very fun to play, very fast and soft. But for some reason I can´t win with it. When I go back to carbon blade, or even to slower Hurricane Hao, my results improve a lot. 
I would compare single-ply shakehand blades to the Mini Coopers. There´s no car that brings more fun to drive but you can´t win any race with it.

Ummm, tell that to Ryu Seung Min, Kim Taek Soo, and many more 1 ply Jpens champs? LOL
You should learn to read. I´m talking about single-ply shakehand blades.
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2013 at 10:59am

Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

I couldn´t agree more. I have a Speed 90 shakehand and it is very fun to play, very fast and soft. But for some reason I can´t win with it. When I go back to carbon blade, or even to slower Hurricane Hao, my results improve a lot. 
I would compare single-ply shakehand blades to the Mini Coopers. There´s no car that brings more fun to drive but you can´t win any race with it.

Ummm, tell that to Ryu Seung Min, Kim Taek Soo, and many more 1 ply Jpens champs? LOL
You should learn to read. I´m talking about single-ply shakehand blades.

Notice I SAID JPENS champs as opposed to your comment about shakehand and the LOL icon. Stop being so serious.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2013 at 4:51pm
Saw a picture of a 1-ply Hinoki (on this website, but not this thread), left-side is much darker than the right side.  Can that happen with one piece of wood?  (Or, may be two pieces of wood glued together?)
===============================

Update (revised):  My guess is that it can happen with one piece of wood.

Edited by skip3119 - 03/21/2013 at 5:46pm
skip3119
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2013 at 9:09pm
Too much tension in this thread, here's some Kokutaku Jpens for your viewing pleasure Smile

Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2013 at 11:30pm
@eves,
long time no see & finally you appear outta your long long hibernation...
I repost your pics. just to soothe some poor angry souls here...

everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2013 at 11:44pm
thanks tiehwen, ya in and out of hibernation. Big smile
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2013 at 12:58am
Poor angry soul >> poor two faced-scumbag-wanna be forum police-no life, soul Big smile LOL

PS: Nice jpens! Thumbs Up

Edited by dual700 - 03/22/2013 at 12:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic