FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Difference between Flat Hit and Drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference between Flat Hit and Drive
    Posted: 04/07/2013 at 8:00am
Ever since I started playing TT, I've been confused with these two terminologies, flat hit and drive. The two strokes can produce similar results and look similar. Just now, I had a light bulb moment. 

Flat hit = no follow through.
Drive = follow through. 

You're welcome!
Sponsored Links

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2013 at 8:10am
 nah my flat hits  only stop because my arm is connected to my body, I think drives are a bit more cupped and flat hits are more like a slap
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2013 at 8:14am
Much ado about nothing...

The names of strokes is not as important as being able to do them...

Flat hit means that the center of the ball is contacted usually at the center of the racket face without imparting spin.  A fast flat hit can be called a smash or a drive.

A drive is any kind of stroke intended to impart lots of speed on the ball.  You can have a smash or a loop drive, the loop drive having more of a topspin element than a smash.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2013 at 8:21am
A flat hit implies the blade angle was purely open, there's plenty of follow through.

A drive is a flat hit with angled blade face.

A loop drive is a flat plane loop.

A pure loop is a more vertical stroke

Edited by bluebucket - 04/07/2013 at 8:22am
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2013 at 11:35am
Thanks - these terms also used to confuse me. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2013 at 11:53am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

A flat hit implies the blade angle was purely open, there's plenty of follow through. 
I like NextLevel's definition better because it implies hitting through the center of the ball.
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2013 at 12:02pm
I think it's a bit silly to worry about the minute details such as this...but if we must.
Flat hit usually implies very little spin is imparted and the bulk of your power goes into accelerating the ball.
Drive usually means any stroke where you make solid contact (driving through the ball). Spin can be imparted.

I would say flat hit is a sub-type of drive, just like loop-drive is a sub set of drive.

But to me a drive distinguishes a stroke from a brush stroke.

Also keep in mind that strokes are not so clear cut and easily categorized. It's not like you define 5 categories of strokes and everything in table tennis can be decomposed neatly into these 5 categories. Rather names were given so that we can intelligently talked about common shot types.

E.g when I say flat hit you know that I'm talking about a stroke that produces a ball that is very fast but has lower spin. When I say drive I'm talking about a stroke that favors speed over spin.
When I'm talking about counter-hit I'm talking about a stroke that capitalizes on the incoming speed and spin to generate a speedy well paced ball with less effort.
..and we can go on and on and on.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2013 at 12:20pm
A non-native English speaking coach would just call all those attacking shots "loops"...

I don't know, seems kind of silly trying to split hairs on these strokes.  Almost as silly as describing the sound the racket makes when hitting the ball.  "click", "clack", "zip", "ping", "pong"...
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2013 at 12:48pm
I always thought a flat hit does not put spin on the ball but takes advantage of whatever spin is on it, if any; example: on a dead ball a flat hit is your typical smash; on a backspin ball a flat hit takes advantage of the underspin to make the ball pass the net as quickly as possible before the spin makes it dive on the table. On a topspin ball, a flat hit is...a mistake LOL (unless it is hit at the very top and very hard; still...it is such a hard shot -a gamble- there is always something better to do).

A drive is simply a slight topspin ball made by a regular swing.

ANY SHOT IN TT SHOULD HAVE FOLLOW THROUGH the only exception being the drop shot (e.g returning a short serve with much underspin or on that long ball sent from far behind by the opponent); but even on that we could have something called "reverse follow through". 

It's a nice discussion subject: should we consider as a rule to always have a follow through in a stroke and call it a reverse follow through when it's a drop shot? Maybe it's pushing a bit, no pun intended. The idea is to consider passive and dangerously out of control not to have any.

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2013 at 2:38pm
Drive just means moderate speed. Like counter-drive, loop drive.
I like these terms for loop varieties.
Slow Loop (high spin, low speed), Loop drive (medium spin, medium spin), Loop kill (low spin, high speed).
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2013 at 5:10pm

+1
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2013 at 7:28pm
A flat hit is a smash. Basically a hit over the table. It's what TT players did right up until sponge became popular. Sponge introduced the element of a smash with spin to keep the ball on the table. Magnus effect if you like. 
So coaches needed to distinguish between the old smash or slap from the new stroke involving spin. Thus the term 'drive' was introduced. 
But in the sixties, those dastardly Japanese came up with a new stroke which involved putting enormous amount of topspin from way off the table. It was not a smash and it was not a drive so someone coined the term 'loop'. Actually loop was used long before but it became attached to this off the table heavy topspin shot.
As time went on different coaches from different countries referred to loop and drive interchangeably. Thus the confusion in terminology.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2013 at 9:35pm

+2 Good definitions, Bluebucket. I agree mostly. Definition #3 is a lil ambiguous.
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic