Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[VIDEO UPDATE] XIOM TAU I REVIEW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have switched to a red Xiom Tau on the FH for the time being.

I generally agree with the original poster.  I like the rubber quite a bit and it does have a rock hard sponge.  I did not find it unduly sensitive to incoming spin, but it is a spiny rubber, so the incoming spin grabs the topsheet if you play passively.  I tend to have fairly aggressive game and impart my own spin whenever possible.  If you do that, Tau is actually fairly forgiving. 

Good that you should mention that. I agree, Tau's sensitivity comes out on more passive, slower shots like serve reception and passive blocks but when actively looping and driving it seems to be able to better handle incoming spin and even seems to work with the spin to produce a higher quality shot.

Just to update everyone, my Tau is still holding very strong. I'm telling you guys, if the logo said DHS instead of Xiom everyone would be going insane LOL

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2013 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I'm telling you guys, if the logo said DHS instead of Xiom everyone would be going insane LOL

So true! LOLLOLLOL
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
jatienza930 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jatienza930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2013 at 11:51pm
nice review! Clap
BTY TBS FL
T05
T64

My Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56638&KW=jen&title=jatienza930-buy-sell-feedback
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2013 at 8:28am
Sounds like Tin Arc?
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2013 at 10:18am
I would like to know how this Tau rubber compares to Haifu Whale 2 Red Sponge rubber ?
Shifter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2013 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by kickass kickass wrote:

Sounds like Tin Arc?

Well, I've only briefly hit with a friend's Tin Arc. There are a few similarities but they feel very different. Tau offers more in performance and feels better. Tin Arc is also a little softer.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2013 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

I would like to know how this Tau rubber compares to Haifu Whale 2 Red Sponge rubber ?

As I've stated earlier, I've never used any Grip-S or Haifu rubber before. Hopefully, someone who has tried both would be able to chime in and help.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 2:40am
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

There are some similarities between the Whale 2 and Tau.  They generally encourage similar playing style.  Tau, to me, is a little spinnier on attacking low underspin balls, while Whale 2 is a little better at driving through spin.

Away from the table, Tau seems to have more top end speed with similar spin.  It is an odd effect since on slower shots Tau has short(ish) dwell time, while on harder shots the dwell is a little longer than expected, so I can really make the ball spin on big loops.

Keep in mind that I have tried a few sheets of Whale 2 and they were quite dissimilar from each other.  The best Whale 2 sheet I had was fairly close to Tau, while the rest of them were rather different.

I ultimately gave up on Haifu rubbers fo rthe same reason I gave up on DHS: inconsistency.  If DHS or Haifu could come up with asimialr rubber formulation and produce it consistently in a commercially available product, I would be playing with it rather than turning toward more expensive rubbers like Tau.
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 3:01am
Excuse me, where can you buy Tau, and at what price?
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 3:22am
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

Excuse me, where can you buy Tau, and at what price?

The above links from decoi are good sources. However, seguso, Bluefire M2 and Tau are very different rubbers. They require different strokes and different timing.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 1:11pm
I was asked in a PM to compare Tau against DHS rubbers.

Tau is somewhere between TG3 Neo and H3 Neo in terms of playing characteristics, but with a little more speed and a little more dwell time on harder shots.  DHS rubbers are a little stickier, or at least commercial versions are.  Provincial H3 I played with a while back seemed to have similar level of tack to Tau.  I have not spent enough time with National team H3 to know how they compare.

Tau has nicely high throw on brushing contact, similarly to H3 Neo, but at higher speeds the throw is a little lower while retaining spin.

Back when I played with chinese rubbers, I liked H2 Neo the most, so Tau is, in essence, a replacement for that.  It has similar enough feel with a little more dynamics.  It blocks a little better than than H2 Neo.  It pushes a little worse: H2 Neo has extra tack that helps with aggressive pushes.  Looping over the table is similar, with Tau being a touch more forgiving.  Driving underspin is similar, although H2 produced flatter and lower bounce shots that were harder to return.  Tau is a little more forgiving, so I can make for a bit more variation with it though.  Counterlooping is much easier with Tau (not sure why).  Driving through spin was easier with H2 Neo, I think.  With Tau, it is a lot more controllable to use the incoming spin for an effortless counterloop: cover the ball and follow through; the ball ends up super loaded and hops all over the place.

Bottom line: pure power game was a little easier with H2 Neo.  With Tau, I can still play my power game, but it is easier to take a little pace off and hit some nasty angles.  With Tau it is also easier for me to make a slow spinny loop that almost double bounces on the opponent's side of the table.  I have been working on that shot as a variation for my 3rd ball attack and Tau is unusually good for it, despite its speed reserves.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Counterlooping is much easier with Tau (not sure why).

It's the sponge. The sponge is one of the highest quality sponges I've ever had the pleasure of using. Like you said, close to the table it has that Chinese style dwell and away from the table it has surprising dwell time considering it's extreme hardness. In fact, on hard shots away from the table I'm reminded of Tenergy in regards to that sinking feeling I described in my review.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 4:32pm
Great stuff Koshkin. Did you boost or speed glue your DHS rubbers?
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

Great stuff Koshkin. Did you boost or speed glue your DHS rubbers?

I used back in the glue days.

The rubbers I mentioned were all Neo versions and I did not alter them in any way.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 5:48pm
Just to update, I've received a PM requesting more information on the control of Tau. Here is what I replied with:

For spin:
H3=10
Tau=10
Vega China=9

For speed:
H3=9 (close to the table) and 4 (away from the table)
Tau= 9 (both close and away from the table)
Vega China= 8 (both close and away from the table)

I think it's difficult to designate how much control there is overall for any rubber so let me clarify the control for several different strokes.

When receiving serves, the control is kind of low. Receiving a serve is more passive compared to most other strokes and on passive strokes it is more sensitive to spin. So I would say H3 (non-neo untuned) has more control receiving serves, followed by Vega China, then Tau. However, in terms of capability of performing more active serve reception strokes (flicks, over the table loops, etc) Tau equals H3.

On more active strokes, Tau's a winner. Close to the table the control equals H3 and away from the table Tau far exceeds H3. The sponge is one of the highest quality I have ever used. Vega China while overall quite good compared to eurojap rubbers, is a bit worse than H3 and Tau over the table.

Control on sidespin loops is also amazing with Tau easily better than H3, followed by Vega China.

H3 is the best at chopping, followed Vega China. Tau is awful at chopping. Don't chop with Tau unless it's out of desperation and no other stroke can get the ball back.

I hope this helps. Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 6:14pm
About the speed, is it as slow as H3 in low and medium speed stuff?. Of the three tacky tensors I've only used Thors which is faster than H3 everywhere by quite a long way yet the speed difference as with all rubbers at full power isn't much. If Thors was a little harder and stiffer and slower in the low gears then it would be perfect, granted it was still overall better than H3 but was definitely improvable

Edited by bluebucket - 04/26/2013 at 6:17pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

About the speed, is it as slow as H3 in low and medium speed stuff?. Of the three tacky tensors I've only used Thors which is faster than H3 everywhere by quite a long way yet the speed difference as with all rubbers at full power isn't much. I always though if Thors was a little harder and stiffer and slower in the low gears then it would be perfect

Well Tau definitely has more gears than Thor's. I would say Tau is equally as capable as H3 on those close to the table lower end strokes and much more capable away from the table.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 6:30pm
It's the newest generation tensor topsheet is it? (the really grainy one)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 7:02pm

It's the newest generation tensor topsheet is it? (the really grainy one)

I'm not sure what you mean by tensor topsheet. The topsheet looks a lot like H3 neo's topsheet.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 7:53pm

Are you sure this rubber peaks at T05 speed? It seems like this rubber is a whole notch slower on most passive strokes.

How is Tau on the TBS? Would is suit fast carbon blades or more allround 5 plys?

Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 8:07pm
Yes, definitely. It at least peaks at T05 speed. I'm not sure if it's a bad match with your blade but I'm surprised that someone who is boosting their Tau doesn't see this. Also, yes it is at least whole notch slower on passive strokes. Tau is a Chinese style rubber and isn't as automatic as Tenergy is on passive strokes.

I personally love how it feels on my TBS, I can say that carbon blades are a match but I'm not familiar enough with other blades to say if it will or will not work well.

Edited by GeneralSpecific - 04/26/2013 at 8:07pm
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 8:37pm
Sounds like its made from a totally different mix of rubber then if its like H3. So its totally flat and smooth then? Compared to your bluefire. Obviously with a 57 degree sponge it'll have a top speed beyond a medium hard rubber like t05, that's a no brainer. I'm going to try it, its a good excuse to change to a 7 ply for more accurate counter loop and backhand
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 8:58pm

Sounds like its made from a totally different mix of rubber then if its like H3. So its totally flat and smooth then? Compared to your bluefire. Obviously with a 57 degree sponge it'll have a top speed beyond a medium hard rubber like t05, that's a no brainer. I'm going to try it, its a good excuse to change to a 7 ply for more accurate counter loop and backhand

I'm looking at it closely and comparing the 2 right now. Tau has some "grain" to it but its grain is considerably more fine in comparison to my Bluefire's grain which are much more noticeable.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 9:40pm
Looking at images of H3 and H3 neo topsheets on google images (since I don't have a new sheet of H3 around) is helping to confirm that the topsheets look very similar. They both have this very fine grain and look quite different from the bluefire topsheet and tenergy topsheet.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 1:57am
arrghh, GeneralSpecfic, come on man! I just got semi-settled with Juic 999 Turbo, and now this review is making me itch for a try with Tau! This is all your fault Tongue

Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 10:22am

Originally posted by Benigma Benigma wrote:

So you say that Tau is as fast as tenergies? 

Yes I do.
 Tau produces definitely less speed than Tenergy rubber.

tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 10:27am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Thanks for the review. Can you see Tau as a replacement of Grips Europe?? Could you compare to it??
 Grips Europe is more sticky, it is easier to open with first topspin and play against defensive player.  I spent less effort with Grips Europe for attack and giving spin to the ball. Tau is faster,  easier to play from the long distance. For me they are different rubbers.

Edited by tabletennis11 - 04/27/2013 at 10:31am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by tabletennis11 tabletennis11 wrote:

Originally posted by Benigma Benigma wrote:

So you say that Tau is as fast as tenergies? 

Yes I do.
 Tau produces definitely less speed than Tenergy rubber.

In my opinion, it produces at least as much speed if not more on loop drives (like a boosted Hurricane) and less speed on everything else (like a boosted hurricane).
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by tabletennis11 tabletennis11 wrote:

Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Thanks for the review. Can you see Tau as a replacement of Grips Europe?? Could you compare to it??
 Grips Europe is more sticky, it is easier to open with first topspin and play against defensive player.  I spent less effort with Grips Europe for attack and giving spin to the ball. Tau is faster,  easier to play from the long distance. For me they are different rubbers.

Thanks for the info :)
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic