Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[VIDEO UPDATE] XIOM TAU I REVIEW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [VIDEO UPDATE] XIOM TAU I REVIEW
    Posted: 04/13/2013 at 4:10pm
As regular forum members may know, I've had extensive use of Palio Thor's and Xiom Vega China and have reviewed both of them. They both are excellent rubbers. I'm here now to tell you that Xiom Tau I is even better.

Having said that, I'm not saying there is nothing negative about this rubber. Xiom Tau is NOT a high control rubber at all and I also find it to be quite sensitive to incoming spin. Choppers and allrounders please stay away from Tau. This is a rubber that is meant for pure forehand offensiveness. Tau is fast, really fast. The first 48 hours it was Tenergy 64 fast. After that point it plateaus at something a little faster than Tenergy 05.

The topsheet is a little tackier than Vega China. I would say about as tacky as H3 Neo's topsheet. It's capable of lifting the ball for at least 1 second where Vega China could lift it about half a second.

Serves are excellent. It's really very good at being able to provide dead ball serves that look like backspin. Of course serves can be really spinny also. What I'm trying to say is that serving offers a ton of variability with slight alterations. Really great.

Smashes are great for a Chinese rubber but of course Eurojap rubbers are better at it.

Drives to me are interesting. I find flat driving a little difficult to keep consistent. However, simply add a little spin to your driving and the effect is superb.

Looping backspin is fantastic. Even against decent backspin, with a fast enough arm motion I'm able to loop it consistently and can keep it low with tons of spin that shoots forwards.

Counter-looping is unparalleled. Here is it's specialty (and the reason most people are looking for Chinese style tensors). Xiom Tau is THE best counterlooping Chinese style rubber ever produced as of the time of this writing. It is equal to a speedglued H3 Neo provincial/national and you don't have to reglue it all the time. I can't even imagine how amazing it would play speed glued for those who do that. While counterlooping, despite the extremely hard sponge (probably at least 42 degrees DHS scale), when engaged there is this almost "sinking" feeling to it that feels oh so good.

Side-spin looping with Tau is perfect. When I used Palio Thor's I really enjoyed it's tremendous side-spin and I was a little disappointed when Vega China seemed to have lost that. Xiom Tau has brought it back. The trajectory it provides is wicked and very difficult for your opponent to predict.

Blocking was pretty good. Again, it is sensitive to spin but that sinking feeling with the sponge comes into play during blocks which seems to help provide a little more quality to them.

In a nutshell, Xiom Tau I is H3 Neo Provincial/National speedglued with just as much spin and at least as much speed. I would even recommend it above H3 because the sheets are more consistent, you don't have to constantly speed glue, and it's available for about $45.

Xiom Tau is an excellent sequel to tacky tensors. I'll compare it to the way software is released.

Palio Thor's is the alpha, Xiom Vega China is the improved beta, and Xiom Tau is the final product.

Each iteration has improved and seems to have built off from the last. I Hope Tau II and Tau III do not screw up the formula. I don't think they will but only time will tell.

Feel free to ask any questions. Thank you for reading and watching the highlight video.

Direct link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpGDP6TcCmA

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Sponsored Links

crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2013 at 7:12pm
since when do euro rubbers smash better than hard chinese?

also is it really as tacky as H3?

Edited by crackfst - 04/13/2013 at 7:13pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2013 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by crackfst crackfst wrote:

Since the Chinese National team started twiddling to their eurojap backhand rubber for smashing.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2013 at 7:16pm

also is it really as tacky as H3?

No, H3 is a little tackier. It has tackiness similar to H3 Neo.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2013 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Since the Chinese National team started twiddling to their eurojap backhand rubber for smashing.

well to be fair their pro version tenergies are probably slightly harder than the commercial version(of course still softer than their forehands),

but much harder than the average euro/jap rubber, which i find inferior in terms of smashing, when compared to H2 or TG3 for example
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2013 at 7:29pm

well to be fair their pro version tenergies are probably slightly harder than the commercial version(of course still softer than their forehands),

but much harder than the average euro/jap rubber, which i find inferior in terms of smashing, when compared to H2 or TG3 for example

I never said anything about hardness related to smashing, only rubber style. I would imagine something like Bluefire M1 and Evolution MXP to be amazing at smashing all while having a harder sponge.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2013 at 7:32pm
yeah i guess the spin sensitivity must have been the reason why flat smashes and drives didnt work out too well
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2013 at 7:36pm
Yes that seems to make sense. Fortunately flicks work quite well.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Benigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2013 at 11:45pm
So you say that Tau is as fast as tenergies? 
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 2:11am
Thanks for the review. Can you see Tau as a replacement of Grips Europe?? Could you compare to it??
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Benigma Benigma wrote:

So you say that Tau is as fast as tenergies? 

Yes I do.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 2:13am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Thanks for the review. Can you see Tau as a replacement of Grips Europe?? Could you compare to it??

Sorry I've never used any Grip S rubber or any Haifu rubber before.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 2:34am
interesting, did you try red or black?
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 3:05am
I'm using black.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 6:05am
Thanks for the excellent review. How about the weight of the Tau?
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 12:01pm
Sorry, I don't have any access to scales. I can only say that it feels a little lighter that Bluefire M2.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 1:05pm
You say it's 42 degrees DHS scale? That sounds REEALLYY hard. How difficult is it to engage the sponge? If it's too hard, that would make distance-loops more difficult and somewhat flatter...

Edited by 128YinYang - 04/14/2013 at 1:06pm
Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by 128YinYang 128YinYang wrote:

You say it's 42 degrees DHS scale? That sounds REEALLYY hard. How difficult is it to engage the sponge? If it's too hard, that would make distance-loops more difficult and somewhat flatter...

Well I squeezed my friend's 40 degree neo sponge and it is definitely harder than that so I'm guessing it's around 42. At mid-distance counterloops are great even considering the hard sponge. Like I had said in my review it has this sort of sinking feeling to it that really helps. It's not as difficult to engage the sponge as you would think even with its hardness but it still feels bottomless.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 7:34pm

Well I squeezed my friend's 40 degree neo sponge and it is definitely harder than that so I'm guessing it's around 42.

That's probably not the best comparison, as the Neo sponge (even when marked at 40deg) is much softer than a 38deg Hurricane rubber. Also DHS sponges vary so much, even when marked with a value.Confused I'll try a sheet myself shortly (thanks General Specific AngryLOL) and will weight and measure the hardness.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 7:59pm
Well it's harder than a neo 40 and harder than my provincial non-neo 39. Take from that what you will but I can tell you this much; close to the table when the sponge isn't heavily engaged it feels hard. Start engaging the sponge and it has the give of something a little softer.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 10:15am
Harder sponge, yet lighter? Sounds improbable. Definitely need actual weight and hardness measurements.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 10:30am

...How difficult is it to engage the sponge? If it's too hard, that would make distance-loops more difficult and somewhat flatter...

...At mid-distance counterloops are great even considering the hard sponge. Like I had said in my review it has this sort of sinking feeling to it that really helps. It's not as difficult to engage the sponge as you would think even with its hardness but it still feels bottomless.

Would you say Tau requires a full and fast swing like it´s needed with H3 Neo, or can I swing like using a Tenergy 05? How is the catapult effect of Xiom Tau compared to both rubbers?
Fixpoint View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 10:58am
I have bought eight sheets of TAU black MAX so far. When cut for IF ZLC C-Pen, the weights (grams) of them are 53x3, 52x3, 51x1 and 50x1. For the same blade, VEGA CHINA is around 49 grams and H3 Neo Nat tuned is around 50 grams. Therefore I believe TAU is one of the heaviest rubbers.
N301 national CS, TDE, HELLFIRE X OX
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Well I squeezed my friend's 40 degree neo sponge and it is definitely harder than that so I'm guessing it's around 42.

That's probably not the best comparison, as the Neo sponge (even when marked at 40deg) is much softer than a 38deg Hurricane rubber. Also DHS sponges vary so much, even when marked with a value.Confused I'll try a sheet myself shortly (thanks General Specific AngryLOL) and will weight and measure the hardness.

Hey, Haggis, I know you still use 999 Turbo, which I'm also using now (and loving it!). So, it'd be great if you could compare weight and hardness to the 999 Turbo, since it's one of the harder chinese rubers and definitely the heaviest rubber I've used at 80g uncut.

Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by kickass kickass wrote:

Harder sponge, yet lighter? Sounds improbable. Definitely need actual weight and hardness measurements.

Yeah, I could be wrong. It's hard to tell without a scale.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

...How difficult is it to engage the sponge? If it's too hard, that would make distance-loops more difficult and somewhat flatter...

...At mid-distance counterloops are great even considering the hard sponge. Like I had said in my review it has this sort of sinking feeling to it that really helps. It's not as difficult to engage the sponge as you would think even with its hardness but it still feels bottomless.

Would you say Tau requires a full and fast swing like it´s needed with H3 Neo, or can I swing like using a Tenergy 05? How is the catapult effect of Xiom Tau compared to both rubbers?

The stroke required is very similar to what is used for H3 however there is a little more room to play with when away from the table.

Tenergy 05 has the highest catapult effect, followed by Tau, followed by H3 Neo.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 3:08pm
On the Xiom hardness scale all the Pro sponges are 47.5, Vega China VM is 54 and Tau is 57.5.
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 9:00pm
I have switched to a red Xiom Tau on the FH for the time being.

I generally agree with the original poster.  I like the rubber quite a bit and it does have a rock hard sponge.  I did not find it unduly sensitive to incoming spin, but it is a spiny rubber, so the incoming spin grabs the topsheet if you play passively.  I tend to have fairly aggressive game and impart my own spin whenever possible.  If you do that, Tau is actually fairly forgiving.  More so than the DHS Neo rubbers I have tried.  It is not especially fast on flat shots, but blisteringly fast on loopdrives.

If you have the touch for thin contact, you can make really heavy short loops that kick all over the place after contacting the table.

As a disclaimer: I play with a thin blade that has hard outer plies and has good flex.  It seems to make good match with the rubber and helps with dwell time.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 4:53am
 @Koshkin
You wrote in other thread about Aurus on the bh. You can compare Aurus against Tau ? Thanks.
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 10:15am
Originally posted by viktorovich viktorovich wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.3;">@Koshkin</span>
You wrote in other thread about Aurus on the bh. You can compare Aurus against Tau ? Thanks.

They have very little if anything in common. Tau is much harder and less bouncy. Tau topsheet is sticky, while Aurus topsheet is all about mechanical grip.

Tau is for people who want something similar to a tuned Chinese rubber with no need for tuning and a little more pace.

Aurus is clearly aimed at people used to European or japanese rubbers.

They require a different contact to be used effectively.

Ilya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic