Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Omega V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2013 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Thank you slevin :) Do you find that as it is softer than MX-P and M1, it has more control? Have you tried OVT on the backhand side? If you have, do you like it? Obviously this is a slightly newer rubber so there is some bias, but how would you honestly compare this with the modern tensors of today? A huge leap forward? Or a minor improvement compared to those of 1Q, T05, MX-P etc.. Thanks in advance also mate :)

Edit: Does the rubber thickness you use feel like it changes the speed/power/spin sufficiently to notice a small difference? 

I think M1 & MX-P came out as high power, grippy rubbers. Both had large pores in their sponges. I think in M2, the overall package delivers lower control and spin than M1.

Then, JP-01 came out just as grippy but with smaller pores. I haven't tried it, but from reports, it seems that it is slightly more difficult to generate spin with it than with M1 (perhaps due to it's tougher topsheet). 

OVT, while just as grippy (that seems to be a defining characteristic in some of the reviews above but I found it no more grippy than MX-P / M1) has smaller pores (=> more linear) & softer topsheet (=> easier to generate spin).

As mentioned earlier, it feels softer, has less speed, more control than those rubbers while offering the same hardness in sponge.

Regarding spin: I have a slight MX-P bias as that is what I (used to) use on FH. However, MX-P is only spinnier in the highest power loops. In everything else, this rubber spins more. 

I think if I am playing with a ALL+ / OFF- 5-ply all-wood blade, I'd choose MX-P. Anything faster, I'd go with OVT. M1: I find it a bit difficult to control incoming spin on FH counterloops (throw varies a lot based on how much ball sinks into sponge).

I'll try OVT on the BH side in a few matches tonight and see how it feels.

Edited by slevin - 12/14/2013 at 1:16am
Sponsored Links

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2013 at 6:41pm
Thanks slevin for the very indepth analysis. Also cheers for testing OVTour on the backhand soon :) I am definately going to get OVTour on the fh, however I'm also thinking about OVPro on the bh. Waiting on the (hopefully good) results :) 
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
lenwink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2013 at 9:15pm
Bare bones review.....I have Omega V Tour on FH, Omega V Pro on BH. I had Omega V Pro on both sides before trying the Tour. I am still in test phase and will switch BH & FH during my testing. They are all 2.0mm. I have them on a XIOM Strad flare blade.
To me, using it only twice for about 3 hours each time, the Tour is slower & softer feeling than the Pro. My son has also had both on an XIOM Zxi and says it was difficult to tell a difference. I know that the Pro allows me shorter strokes which implies to me a bit more speed and maybe a slightly higher throw angle. Reviews aren't my specialty, but I definitely would suggest these rubbers to an offensive player; playing close to mid range.
Quickly comparing this to using Tenergy 64 & 05 on an Innerforce ZLF blade; XIOM Omega V is faster & with more spin..also lighter in weight. That could be good or bad depending on your playing style and viewpoint.

Aloha,
Len
www.tabletennisandmore.com

Aloha,

Len, www.tabletennisandmore.com

http://www.tabletennisandmore.com
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2013 at 10:37am
Having played league night, I'd state that MX-P & M1 are a different class of rubbers (Power) and XVT is in a different class (Control) while still offering the same sponge hardness.

XVT plays quite well on BH as well (that is, of course, if you've played with 45 - 47.5 degree rubbers on your BH before).
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2013 at 2:16pm
After reading a lot of conflicting information regarding OV, the first thing I wanted to established when my shipment arrived was which one had a harder sponge. I first weighed a number of sheets and found no weight difference between Tour and Pro. I then checked visually, and by squeezing and found no difference. 

This prompted me to email my contact at Xiom product development.  I asked him the following:

"Do you have the sponge hardness for Tour and Pro? Do they both have the same topsheet? What is the difference between the two?"

Here is his response: 

"Tour and Pro have same hardness of 47.5.
The biggest difference between Tour and Pro are the pimple structure.
Tour, has bigger and larger pimples compared to Pro.
This should make Tour bit more aggressive and offensive compared to Pro.
While Pro is more smooth, controlling and spins better than Tour.
Because of the pimple structure."

This agrees with our play testing in Alameda.

lenwink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2013 at 7:12pm
Wow; thanks for that update from XIOM.

However, as I have played more & more with both on the same blade, I am finding the Tour slower & with more control than Pro. Interesting, indeed.
Aloha,

geswin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geswin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2013 at 11:37pm
I can't compare both rubber.
But OVT is definately amazing rubber. Its grippy, insensitive to spin, great control, great at flipping, great at close table, and tremendous spin.
It might just be differences of stroke that it have bi-character.
I found wristy stroke was good with OVT
Fan of ELCON/conic handle
V'King 05/ Sigma 2 euro/ hexer+
Virtuoso+ Hexer HD/ SE II euro
Accoustic Vega japan / P3
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2013 at 2:37am
 Pimple -  analogy to : T05 and T25 ?!

Edited by viktorovich - 12/17/2013 at 7:52am
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2013 at 9:01am
So whats the conclusion on this, which is harder/faster/spinnier?
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2013 at 11:50am
Originally posted by riker71 riker71 wrote:

I recently got Tour Max for FH and Pro 2.0 for BH. Previously had been happy with Omega IV pro Max FH and Omega IV Asia Max BH for last few years.  I put the new rubbers on a new Tibhar Stratus Powerwood, same as the older rubbers. I was playing a cup match and lost the first match easily using my regular bat (TSPW with OIV Pro/Asia) - admittedly the older rubbers were not in the best condition being around 15-18m old and needed replacing - I didn't realise how much -  I decided to play with the new setup in my remaining matches not having played with it before and won them both in 3 straight, against good players where the match would normally be closer.

Taking into account the age of the older rubbers I'd been using, the improvement was unreal, the Tour has upgraded power and the topsheet is also improved giving better spin, serves were fizzing. I believe these attributes are still improved over a new sheet of OIV Pro.

Tour Sponge is slightly softer than OIV Pro, throw is medium, maybe slightly higher than OIV Pro - The amazing thing is that the touch and short game have better control - the marketing hinted at this; "Amazing precision on passive shots"

Yesterday I was playing a good aggressive looper using T05 with Schlager Carbon, he looped hard four times to my forehand, I chopped 4 back in a row, he netted the 5th loop. Id never have done this with the Omega IV Pro. I like to mix up my game and fall back to chop occasionally.

Smashing did take a bit of getting used to because of the extra power of The OV Tour but is an easy adjustment. 

Loops fizzed with spin and looping was a breeze. Blocks felt crisp.

The OV Pro in 2mm to me feels like very slightly firmer sponge than OV Tour but hard to distinguish. Its certainly firmer than my old sheet of OIV pro but I think the sponge does soften with age.

OIV Asia has harder sponge than OIV Tour and Pro.

OV Pro has a higher throw than IV Asia, better control overall for looping and short game -  spin maybe a tad higher but not a major difference. Enough power without feeling too bouncy like Vega Pro or Sigma Euro. IV Asia is king for blocking still with its super firm sponge but the OV Pro feels like a better allrounder.

I'm happy with both rubbers and recommend anyone wanting an upgrade from previous Xiom Rubbers to try them. I got mine from TTNPP.

After playing a bit more I've come to the conclusion that OVT has better control but less speed and crispness than OIV Pro - OVT is bouncier which is why smashes go long for me. a Review on TTDB mentions it has a very long throw. I've stuck a spare sheet of OVT onto a Stratus Power Defense to see how it plays on that, with some Long Pips on BH. I also prefer OIV Asia on BH to OVP due to its better blocking ability and lower throw for pushes, chopping and drives. The OVP and OVT for me are less powerful than the OIV Pro and Sigma Pro, I would put them somewhere in between VP/Sigma Euro and OIV Pro

Edited by riker71 - 12/21/2013 at 11:51am
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2013 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by riker71 riker71 wrote:

Review on TTDB mentions it has a very long throw.

Compared to MX-P (my FH rubber on back-up blade), OVT has:
  1. distinctly shorter trajectory  (unlike what that reviewer said) and less top speed
  2. higher throw
  3. more ease in generating spin
  4. softer topsheet (that can be good or bad depending on user preference)
  5. better control (again, that assumes both rubbers are on same blade). If MX-P is paired with slower blade than OVT is, then this statement is not necessarily true
That reviewer did give the OVT his highest spin rating among his 20 ratings on ttdb (higher than T05, equal to H3 / TG3). IMHO, whether OVT or MX-P produces greater spin depends on user
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2013 at 5:33am
I have it in black max. I am having a hit tomorrow so just by bouncing a ball on the rubber I can best describe it as a springy Sigma Pro max, a very little softer.
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2013 at 3:40pm
After playing with V Tour 2.0 on a Tibhar Stratus Power Defense Blade, I was impressed. The blade negated the bouncier sponge that I found was causing my smashes and some shots to go long. (I'm used to smashing with Omega IV Pro using TSPW)

Spin was  high on serves chops and loops and with surprisingly decent speed on the slower blade. 

I have been looking at Xioms own ratings that they give on their website and on the back of each packet, according to this:

Omega IV Asia has the hardest sponge - marked as "extra hard" on the actual packet but only as "hard" on their website.

V Tour has the highest spin rating of any Xiom rubber. 

Our friends reply from Xiom re the differences between V Tour and Pro conflict somewhat with their own ratings.

"This should make Tour bit more aggressive and offensive compared to Pro.
While Pro is more smooth, controlling and spins better than Tour.
Because of the pimple structure."

Speed rating is the same for V Tour and Pro
Speed rating is higher for V Tour and V Pro than for IV pro -  I disagree with this. 
IV Pro has more speed, but is less bouncy, more linear

V Tour has higher spin rating than V Pro.

For strategy, Tour has one notch more on the lower scale - so supposedly more control, both have same upper rating.

Both have same precision ratings.

Personally I think there is negligible difference in the 2 so far but will post more when I've had chance to play more.  From some reviews here and OOAK it seems some people have found Tour is slower and with more control than Pro.

Xiom now released too many rubbers making it hard to distinguish for the consumer. Vega, Omega IV, Sigma I/II, Omega V, (just the more recent ones, not to mention  a late addition to Vega Series- Japan, China, Tau)

They introduced a new level of "Tour". Elite, Euro, Pro, Asia series was a useful guide to know which sponge hardness you got. Now with "Tour" this confuses things more as Tour is not harder than previous rubber series Pro sponge.

I'm going back to IV Pro and Asia on my regular setup for now on the TSPW as it is a more linear, faster and powerful Offensive setup - the V Tour will stay on the Power Defense Blade - which looks very promising as a very good allround setup with huge spin and control. I was hoping V Tour and Pro would be an evolution of IV Pro but it seems they just made the topsheet a bit softer to give marginally more spin and control - this isn't a bad thing but I was hoping the new rubbers would be more powerful and less bouncy. 

Edited by riker71 - 12/23/2013 at 6:40pm
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
lenwink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2013 at 1:29pm
As an XIOM dealer, I spoke to the representative from XIOM, here in the USA.  I sent him the info posted from the other XIOM person. He said that he thought the guy accidentally switched the info for Tour & Pro which would make your findings and mine more correct. However, there have been so many different views on the comparison that it really is difficult to make a definitive statement.
I am staying with Tour on my FH & Pro on BH as it just "feels" that Pro works better for me on BH.

Aloha,

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2013 at 2:10pm
FWIW (and I'm assuming it ain't worth much): Paddle palace has given the OVT its highest spin rating - all the other rubbers with that highest spin rating have hardness of 42 degrees or less.

BTW: here's a smartphone snapshot of OVT vs M1 pips: OVT has taller, thicker pips as well as a thicker topsheet than M1.

Now, in case of similar comparison in the Tenergy line, as we move from T64 to T05 to T25, the feel starts getting harder as pimple thickness increases. OVT feels softer than M1 (& MX-P for that matter) with the same hardness sponge. But certainly, this structure probably does help in generating the spin.

Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2013 at 4:58pm
I had a 5 hour long training session with a OV Tour on one side and IV Pro on the other. It turned out that I can be a lot more effective with the OV and I am going to get another to use as my primary setup.  Overall, it feels 85-90% like a Bluefire JP01on impact but there is a rather big difference in how it plays - their topsheets are visibly different. My teammate who plays with the JP01 remarked that they are similar but OVT has a nicer feel (the topsheet feels a bit former). The main difference is that OIV or JP01 catapult the ball forward automatically even at low speeds but OVT does not to the same extent. It is more linear in this respect.

This linearity allows for better control but it makes it slower at the same time. Therefore I would only recommend it to those players who have strong strokes and who are looking to make an active stroke on each occassion.  You get what you put in. On topspins: I have (the very subjective) impression that OVT can produce spinnier slow loops than OIV Pro.

dr_stalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_stalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 11:41am
Blade: BUTTERFLY M.Maze OFF
FH: BUTTERFLY Tenergy 05 2,1
BH: NITTAKU Flyatt Hard super thick
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 2:38pm
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2014 at 5:58am
Any updates on its durability and performances after e.g. 2-3 months of usage? And where can i get it? Thank you.
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2014 at 6:59am
I've use my Omega V Tour on my FH for about 30hours and its performance for sure has been decreased, but I would say the Omega V is pretty more durable than the like of Tenergies.

Edited by The soul of rock - 01/07/2014 at 6:59am
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2014 at 12:51am
Found that i can order from ttnpp online. is that a good one? which thickness is good for forehand rubber?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2014 at 6:23am
I got mine from ttnpp, too. It's a reliable site IMHO, and mine Omega V is 2.1mm.
Viscaria FL
-------
My feedback
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2014 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by The soul of rock The soul of rock wrote:

I got mine from ttnpp, too. It's a reliable site IMHO, and mine Omega V is 2.1mm.
do you mean 2.0mm in thickness?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2014 at 8:53pm
I got Max thickness, which is 2.1mm I guess
Viscaria FL
-------
My feedback
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2014 at 1:46am
I see. I always tot max thickness should be around 2.3-2.4mm as it is in most cases. but thanks for you reply.. Im ordering it once my chinese rubbers dies off. :)
ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2014 at 10:45am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Originally posted by shay2be shay2be wrote:

Im really enjoying Omega V Tour right now... between Vega Japan and MX-P

To me Vega Japan, at lower gears, is pretty much not a lively rubber. 
Is this the case with Omega V / V Tour ?
I am interested in this comparison as well. I currently play with Vega Japan in 2.0 mm on my Defplay Senso. I really like it for modern defense. I can chop back loops as well as attack effectively. I also like how controlled it is in the short game. I might try out Omega V Tour if I will still be able to play a controlled short game like Vega Japan as well as getting improved attacking capabilities.

Are there any more Vega Japan users out there that have tried Omega V?

Edited by ckhirnigs113 - 01/11/2014 at 3:51pm
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 3:53pm
^^I would also like to know if Omega V Tour or Pro is most similar to Vega Japan in sponge hardness. 
dr_stalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_stalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2014 at 8:40am
Originally posted by ckhirnigs113 ckhirnigs113 wrote:

^^I would also like to know if Omega V Tour or Pro is most similar to Vega Japan in sponge hardness. 

Omega V Tour is similar.
Omega V Pro is softer.
Blade: BUTTERFLY M.Maze OFF
FH: BUTTERFLY Tenergy 05 2,1
BH: NITTAKU Flyatt Hard super thick
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2014 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by dr_stalker dr_stalker wrote:

Originally posted by ckhirnigs113 ckhirnigs113 wrote:

Omega V Tour is similar.
Omega V Pro is softer.

According to Xiom they are same sponge hardness
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2014 at 10:23pm
I appreciate the info. Any more comparisons between Vega Japan and either of the two Omega V rubbers?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic