FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

ZApenholder's Coaching Videos April/May 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ZApenholder's Coaching Videos April/May 2013
    Posted: 05/08/2013 at 7:41am
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 8:08am
ZApenholder - you are a machine - nice feeding! How many balls are using for the multiball drills
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 8:19am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

ZApenholder - you are a machine - nice feeding! How many balls are using for the multiball drills

Thanks you for the compliments.
But after 4 hours of non stop feeding, my arm was paining

I can put about 180 balls in the container I am using.
I bought 5 x 144 balls, and I think we broke over 100 balls already since Dec 2012.
If I plan to have more than 1 multiball table, then I will bring a 2nd or 3rd container, otherwise just using 180 balls per session.

Some times we will refill straight away once the bucket is empty.
I once feed about 2.5 buckets in a row to one of our national senior womens players that is based at the High Performance Centre (but only 17 years old)

michael4ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael4ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 9:42am
where are you located ZA?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 9:45am
Originally posted by michael4ster michael4ster wrote:

where are you located ZA?

South Africa
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Thanks you for the compliments.
But after 4 hours of non stop feeding, my arm was paining

I can put about 180 balls in the container I am using.
I bought 5 x 144 balls, and I think we broke over 100 balls already since Dec 2012.
If I plan to have more than 1 multiball table, then I will bring a 2nd or 3rd container, otherwise just using 180 balls per session.

Some times we will refill straight away once the bucket is empty.
I once feed about 2.5 buckets in a row to one of our national senior womens players that is based at the High Performance Centre (but only 17 years old)

if i get straight  this, 450 balls feed nontop to the 17 year old?
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 2:43pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

if i get straight  this, 450 balls feed nontop to the 17 year old?

won't say 450, be defiantly 400+

only "stop" is when I had to refill the bucket, or maybe a 1 to 2 second pause/breather or when I change the drill.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

Good work as always. Some of those kids are using the infamous index finger grip, same as young Timo Boll. You could try duct taping their index finger down.

Yeah, I actually didn't notice it until checking out the videos.
Going to fix a lot of things this Saturday.

I will bring duct tape along - just to threaten them if they cant get it right LOL (jokes)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 7:52am
Excellent playing facility and you are incredibly patient!  I wish I had had a coach like you when I was a kid.  Those kids are lucky.

It is funny how really little kids always seem to want that finger to slide straight up.  My theory is that it is an adaption to being short, but anyway, you have to fix it early.  

Edited by Baal - 05/09/2013 at 7:55am
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 9:14am
I dont know why you worry about the finger as long as bh is ok.
The list is long of successful players with that habit. Deng YaPing is perhaps the best example.
Best to let players develop naturally
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 9:29am
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

The list is long of successful players with that habit. Deng YaPing is perhaps the best example.
As long they are learning - might as well learn the correct way.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 10:00am
Thanks Baal, you giving me too much credit.
Those players do have they own coach, I was invited by they coach to assist and train the players.
The girl is a contender for SA U12 girls title (less than 1.5 year play). Before I worked with her, she had no footwork at all (well I can copy this phrase for everyone I have worked with to date Wink)

The venue is one of the better ones we have in South Africa, maybe lighting can be better, and proper flooring and hope we can get a full time TT venue in the future. Right now that is a sport centre, shared with all forms of sport.

Pingpongdaddy, Jrscatman - you both are right.
However, one thing I notice with both of them is they then to be pushing forward into the ball (FH), and I believe the finger is the cause of that (it is locking the wrist).

I also guess they use that extra finger is maybe because the blade is a bit too big for them - so I don't think it is a big problem now, but will try and get them to use a bit more wrist and go over the ball, than to push the ball out.

Also need to fix the free arm, and a couple of other things.

Coaching is not easy.....

Edited by ZApenholder - 05/09/2013 at 10:01am
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 10:08am
It's especially difficult to correct things when youa re the one feeding the multi-ball.
My friend and I (we're pretty much training partners) get coached by an old school provincial coach from China. She often asks me to watch my friend's form to spot for incorrect form and she asks him to do the same for me.
I'm only rated around 1500-1600 and he's probably around 1700 now..but we still have a lot of stuff to correct.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 10:29am
Originally posted by gatorling gatorling wrote:

It's especially difficult to correct things when youa re the one feeding the multi-ball.
My friend and I (we're pretty much training partners) get coached by an old school provincial coach from China. She often asks me to watch my friend's form to spot for incorrect form and she asks him to do the same for me.
I'm only rated around 1500-1600 and he's probably around 1700 now..but we still have a lot of stuff to correct.

Agree, having the camera set up, helps me in a big way too.

What I'm also starting to do is to get the older juniors to feed balls too. So they can feed to each other. But they still don't really have the touch to feed properly yet.
I think once we can get them to feed properly - then they are able to train mutliball without me being present - thus a long term solution.

From a coach point of view, then it will be easier for me and better for everyone that I can walk around and make corrections than oppose to feed few thousand balls per session Confused(its reallllly tiring hahaha)

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 11:24am

Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

As long they are learning - might as well learn the correct way.

I would dispute that its "incorrect" to point the finger up the blade a la
Deng Yaping or Timo Boll. Its just a normal variation. All that is needed, is to give exercises that encourage fh and bh strokes that flow well. When a young player chooses to vary their grip, then as long as their stroke is consistent and natural individuality and freedom of expression should be encouraged. Unfortunately some coaches schemes try to run an assembly line in their own image, and suppress individuality. (I am not suggesting that is the case here). The idea of 'Duct Tape' is repellent to me.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 12:18pm
Timo doesn't do it on every shot, it is mainly on return of serve.  It is possible to play with finger up but it robs power so better to correct it -- if it is a problem.  I agree with not coaching anyone out of an unorthodoxy that is effective, though.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Timo doesn't do it on every shot, it is mainly on return of serve.  It is possible to play with finger up but it robs power so better to correct it -- if it is a problem.  I agree with not coaching anyone out of an unorthodoxy that is effective, though.

Why do you think it robs power? i am surprised.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic