Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Offensive" Defensive Blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NBSR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NBSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Offensive" Defensive Blade
    Posted: 07/03/2013 at 10:56pm
A) What defensive blades out there are suitable to be played offensively when using long pips on the backhand side? 
B) What qualities would it have? (stiff and hard?) 

And going off track with the title...
1. What long pips out there can be used offensively?

2. What defensive blades can play well with hard, tacky, Chinese rubbers? (Only Donic Defplay comes to mind)

3. What are some soft rubbers with low to medium low throw that may be used defensively?

4. Any reviews/thoughts on the TSP Super Defense blade?

I know most (if not all) of these questions are subjective but all input are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2013 at 12:27am
Originally posted by NBSR NBSR wrote:

A) What defensive blades out there are suitable to be played offensively when using long pips on the backhand side? 
B) What qualities would it have? (stiff and hard?)

I think most of them.  I have a DefPlay Senso and a Toni Hold White Spot.   I can attack with both.  I think offensive or defensive is more of a state of mind or the ability to play in either mode than an attribute of the blade or rubber.   However, I wouldn't not want to get into a match where I must slam the ball a lot of times against a lobber or loop from away from the table with these paddles..

And going off track with the title...
1. What long pips out there can be used offensively?

Most will have sponge to get a little friction.   I have used Pogo 0.6mm and 388D-1 0.6m.   I tried 755 1mm but I found it hard to control.  755 0X was much better.   I play pushblocker mode with Pogo 0X and Talon 0X.  One must have a fine touch to attack with these unless you are hitting high balls with a line of sight to the other side of the table.  Coach McAfee hit with Crop Circles 0X.

2. What defensive blades can play well with hard, tacky, Chinese rubbers? (Only Donic Defplay comes to mind)

My Defplay Senso currently has 388D-1 0.6mm and SST Pro Team on it.  SST Pro Team is very hard but not that tacky.  Fortunately the Defplay flexs a bit to compensate for the hard SST Pro Team. I can block about anything with it.  Looping requires more of a brushing stroke.  It chops OK too.  I don't get a lot of back spin unless I chop very thin.

3. What are some soft rubbers with low to medium low throw that may be used defensively?

Reflectoid.  One of my practice partners has a chopping paddle with Reflectoid on both side of either a LQ-1 or LQ-2.  It is a bitch to loop against his chopped balls because he can vary the spin a lot and put a lot off spin on the first chopped ball.  He can loop well FH and BH with the same paddle.  I prefer to chop with my 388D-1.  i am not a chopper but we chop for each other for practicing looping against chopped balls.

Quote 4. Any reviews/thoughts on the TSP Super Defense blade?

No, never used it.

The paddles I mentioned above I think of as defensive paddles.

My true offensive/defensive paddle is my Firewall Plus with GD Talon 0X and T25.  I pushblock with the Talon 0X and if the opponent starts hitting slow no spin balls I either step to my left and hit with the T25 on the FH or twiddle and hit with the T25 on the BH.  The combination of Talon 0X and T25 really seems to bother people because if they hit a loop I can chop block it so it goes back slow with back spin or twiddle and block with the T25 so it goes back fast with top spin. T25 on my Firewall Plus is very fast.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2013 at 12:51am
The osp immune is a similar blade to the defplay senso, little harder feel but the same class of blade and similar construction, ie loopers blade that also defends well
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2013 at 1:50am
A real offensive Def blade is Yinhe 980 - I find it better than Matsushita Pro and even better than Matsushita Victas. Excelent work down there in Hebei.
nachalnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachalnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2013 at 11:33pm
Andro Fibercomp Def is really good. There's also a bunch of similar balsa or balsa/carbo/fiberglass blades that would work, like BTY BalsaCarbo X3, TSP Balsa or Balsa Fitter 2.5, 3.5, or 4.5. They are all relatively stiff which makes them a great choice for LP blocking.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 3:42pm
Sword Dual Property Monster King Big smile
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 4:22pm
donic defplay senso is very solid and not very slow at all. i would say its ALL to ALL-.

its oversized like most every defenders blades

Dont get the classic senso though its crap

Edited by crackfst - 07/05/2013 at 4:24pm
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 5:16pm
The defplay senso is certainly much faster than a Stiga allround classic and that is the standard by which ALL is rated, the defplay is either ALL and half a plus or ALL+. I myself have no problem saying it's ALL+. It's not a slow defence blade, it's a genuine modern defence blade. The Immune is the same speed ie slightly slower than an Expert

Edited by bluebucket - 07/05/2013 at 5:17pm
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2013 at 2:59am
The Defplay senso is the best balance between attack and defence I have seen but I would rate it around all- when looping and def-def+ when chopping closest I have seen to it was the Grubba Pro very similar flex/speed and thin with vibrations.I compared it to Stiga allround classic and found it slower with more dwell,with ox rubbers the Stiga reversed the spin more when blocking but the control is better with the Defplay the Stiga loops were faster with a bit less control.There are a few pros using Defplay particularly in the womens game I think mainly for its backspin making ability
Note: Although the Defplay has a nice slingshot effect due to the flex for consistent loop/attack this blade needs a modern rubber like Tenergy or equivelant  with classic rubbers I found it too slow

Edited by firetack - 07/06/2013 at 3:04am
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2013 at 4:49am
Grubba Pro is more powerful and feels more solid than Defplay. It has also amazing catapult.
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2013 at 6:48am
Yes Grubba Pro is a little stiffer/faster but doesn't make as much backspin when chopping,very easy to change between the two the feel is close for me
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 12:11pm
Maybe try a combi blade, too. I've been experimenting w/ modern defense and getting one in soon. Don't really think two speed blade is necessary in general, but could be worth it w/ defensive BH and aggressive FH since they're so different.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic