Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best TT Robot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 2:54pm
This is a very good price, esp. considering the fact that you will get also 2 or 3 years warranty.

Sponsored Links

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 4:26pm
I'm leaning towards the Oukei S9 robot for $1600 unless someone can convince me there is a better robot for around that price.
Thanks so much to everyone for your posts on this topic.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 4:51pm
If $1800 counts as around the same price, you could look at the Newstar 2080-B.  Here is a link.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 12:28am
2080-B has to rest every 50 shots to cool down the electronics. This problem is solved in 2080-C, but I was offered to pay additional $240 for transportation, so the final price went up to $3000 incl. VAT and duty.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 2:10am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

2080-B has to rest every 50 shots to cool down the electronics. This problem is solved in 2080-C, but I was offered to pay additional $240 for transportation, so the final price went up to $3000 incl. VAT and duty.

Not sure where you got that info...but it is wrong.  The Newstar 2080 B can shoot much more than 50 balls before it has to take any pause.  It also depends on if you are shooting a combo of different shots where the head makes many adjustments between shots.  If you are shooting to one landing spot or the head does not make much changes between balls.... it can shoot quite a very long time.   If in an average 6 ball combo where every ball is different.....could be 300 balls or so before it has to rest....and even then the rest is not long.  It has never been an issue for me at all, though people will use the robots differently I can understand.  I normally practice serves for a few minutes after picking up balls from shooting out say 200+ shots.  That time of rest for the robot is more than enough where my training time is never ever stopped for the robot needing a break.  So it is rare that I ever have to let the robot pause from shooting too many balls while using it in this way. 

I know for a fact that Fareast sports does not charge any taxes.....only the customers home county custom agents may charge any duty fees.  Fareast sports also helps out by declaring a lower amount on any robot to countries that have normal import duty fees.  Some countries will have an added shipping fee pending on where they are.   I never was charged any custom fees here in USA for any of the many robots that were shipped to me.  But USA is just one country and not all are the same for possible custom fees on import items. 

Also, the shipping fees on the bigger robots went up dramatically in the past year from EMS services in China.  They added a "over-sized" fee for packages of certain weight and size.  The bigger floor standing robots are now in this category.  It has caused a problem for many manufactures and resellers.  You will now start to see smaller robots and more hanging type ones because of this.  Y&T is a good example of this, they made a hanging and tripod floor standing version of the 989E ...A9 and A8 robots.  I have not heard anything about a smaller/lighter 989H or newer high end one from them yet. 

I did like using the 989H robot because it is quick and easy to setup and use.  It can give you decent training with the ability to program sequences of different spin types and landing spots from ball to ball, but the Newstar robots run circles around it for ability.  Nothing comes close to the Newstar robots as far as all the functions and abilities and being able to move the robot around with the net still attached. It is quite nice for not getting bored with the same balls cumming at you from static positions most robots have.

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 2:20am
Oh....I almost forgot.....about the title of this thread.   BEST TT ROBOT. 

That is like asking which rubber or blade is the best......no one real answer fits all!

Depends on too many things as every one is different with their budget and needs/wants for a robot.  So its more like.....with x, y, and z perimeters.....what robot is the best choice for my requirements. 

Of course, I could say there are 3 top choices of the best robots out now....but those might not be options for most users.   Even with these top 3 or so....they are all different and you might give up one thing or aspect for another when choosing between them just as you will have to do with the lower priced robots as well. 

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 2:34am
Fair enough. You will never use 32 different landing positions and spins in a sequence, so 200 is good for 6 different shots. Still I don't like the fact of warming up and cooling down, esp. remembering the smoke coming out from the Amicus Pro command device.
For Oukei S9 I was charged $500 for 25 kg by EMS. Other services do not accept such bulk robots. But 2080 is abt two times less in weight and should not cost as much as Oukei S9 to ship.

As for the VAT and duty fees, we are to present link to the original product and document that the price has been paid by PP plus shipment. So the total price amounted to $3200 for 2080-C.

Showing invoice with reduced price is not an option here.

Edited by Imago - 07/13/2013 at 2:41am
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2013 at 1:07pm

For Oukei S9 I was charged $500 for 25 kg by EMS. Other services do not accept such bulk robots. But 2080 is abt two times less in weight and should not cost as much as Oukei S9 to ship.

As for the VAT and duty fees, we are to present link to the original product and document that the price has been paid by PP plus shipment. So the total price amounted to $3200 for 2080-C.

Showing invoice with reduced price is not an option here.

Yes shipping is getting to be so much of an issue now with many businesses all over the world.  I deal with it here in the US on a daily basis and it is a big issue for falling profit margins.  I was told that the EMS fees on robots from China almost doubled in the past few years now, and your quote of $500 for a big robot shipped internationally is spot on.....so much to deal with for seller and buyer. 

I see your country is pretty strict on import products to consumers and its pretty hard to work around that.  

Fair enough. You will never use 32 different landing positions and spins in a sequence, so 200 is good for 6 different shots. Still I don't like the fact of warming up and cooling down, esp. remembering the smoke coming out from the Amicus Pro command device.

With the Newstar robot:
The 32 different memory slots for the different balls is not just for landing spots actually.  Each of the different 32 saves in all the 8 different Lb's (spots where the robot sits on the floor and head height settings), have several perimeters of a ball set for each saved ball. 

1. spin type/rotation angle  - from straight up and down to full 90 degrees.
2. spin amount  - this is where this robot blows away the competition.
3. speed/power of ball projected  - with huge spin amounts, the ball can still be shot short over the net, which is also why this robot is so good compared to this ability of other robots. 
4. vertical height  - ball can land close to the robot end of the table and very high as well for big loft shots.
5. horizontal landing spot  - as well as all the other adjustments on ball perimeters, steps of adjustment are small enough that you can be more than satisfied with dialing each setting in to make the ball shot you want.

So with those elements being able to be set for each of the 32 different ball saves, you can create any type of combo you want pretty much.  I really like this for service training and 3rd ball training for lifting under spin returns. 

And each of the 32 different ball saves are different from each Lb.  So you can have so many different ball types saved.  You can even edit the different Lb's to be for any spot on the floor from the table.  So in effect, you could have all 8 different sets of LB's at one spot of the robot sitting from the table. 

The combos or sequences are the same for each Lb position as well.  There are 8 different combo memory slots for each different Lb. You can switch from one combo to another very quickly.

There is much more to the abilities of the Newstar robots, but above info is usually what the main attraction to its abilities.  As I mentioned before, it can do so much and is more complicated than other robots, but its self programming ability is amazing.

As for the heat up cool down thing....it really never is an issue for me using the robot.  This may or may not be an issue for others depending on how the robot is used.  Say if it is used in a training center with several users per session, you might want to go with the C robot for such long periods of use.  That would be the only time I think it could be an issue.  For most single users, it should not be an issue at all.

Smoke coming from any robot is not a good thing...but no robot or electrical devices are 100% immune from electronics blowing up or having problems.  Just search YouTube for smartphones batteries blowing up....from several different manufactures.  Though that is a different situation all together. 

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 9:09am

Thanks to everyone for their advice. One more thing I just started to think about is whether or not the new poly balls will make the current robots obsolete! I hate to pay that much for a robot and then have some new balls come out next year that won't work in these robots. Does anyone know if that will be an issue or if we really are going to the new poly balls next year? I've read some pretty bad reviews of these new balls with some reviewers saying there is no way the ITTF will go to these so soon.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 9:28am
Poly balls - who knows?  They should be coming in next year, but the ITTF reserves the right to make a dramatic u-turn at the last minute.  Your guess is as good as anyone's.

Like I said above, the Palio polyballs worked fine in the Amicus and 989H machines.  Even if the final balls are slightly bigger still, in both these machines you would only have to change the throwing wheels to slightly smaller ones to compensate.  I would expect the manufacturers to make slightly smaller wheels available, if necessary, probably, maybe.

This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 9:43am
thanks Andy. Guess I won't let that stop me from getting one then. You did mention that above but guess I kind of glossed over that since I wasn't thinking about the poly balls.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 10:43am
Always good to gather opinions about this kind of thing.  I'd be interested to know if anyone has had any problems with any robot and the Palio balls.  Some robots have far tighter tolerances than the two I've tried.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 11:07am
I'm really torn now between the Y&T S27 and the Oukei S9. Which one should I buy? The controller for the S9 seems to be pretty complicated, but the S9 has better variability and can produce short serves. The S27 can vary the spin more but not as variable. They are both about the same price. The Oukei model seems to have a better warranty and the build quality has been rated very high. Reminds me of the time I had 2 girlfriends...couldn't choose and ended up losing both!
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 11:18am
Having two heads on the robot is like having two girlfriends, indeed.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 1:01pm
good one Imago. I just watched a video of the Newstar and holy ****! The variety of spin that robot does is amazing! Don't know what their track record is or what kind of warranty they have, but man, I've never seen a robot that can do so many different things.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 1:13pm
No doubt, this is the best TT robot. So far.

Still, there is one thing about robots. They can draw your attention for a long time only if you live alone in the wilderness.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 10:38pm
Hi Dave

I have the y&t s27. Bought it last year. Used it less than a doZen times.

It's a good basic robot but nOt flexible enough to give you serves
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 11:34pm
Hey sandiway
I saw the video of you doing the fh drill on your robot. Supposedly the oukei S9 can do serves. Have you ever used it? Good to see you're playing again. You should come stay at our house sometime and enter one of our tournaments.
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

With the Newstar robot:
The 32 different memory slots for the different balls is not just for landing spots actually.  Each of the different 32 saves in all the 8 different Lb's (spots where the robot sits on the floor and head height settings), have several perimeters of a ball set for each saved ball. 

1. spin type/rotation angle  - from straight up and down to full 90 degrees.
2. spin amount  - this is where this robot blows away the competition.
3. speed/power of ball projected  - with huge spin amounts, the ball can still be shot short over the net, which is also why this robot is so good compared to this ability of other robots. 
4. vertical height  - ball can land close to the robot end of the table and very high as well for big loft shots.
5. horizontal landing spot  - as well as all the other adjustments on ball perimeters, steps of adjustment are small enough that you can be more than satisfied with dialing each setting in to make the ball shot you want.
That looks pretty good.  Now there are only two things that it is missing. 
1.  A motor to move the whole head assembly side to side so that balls can be shot at an angle.  This is a tough one because the ball feed system probably will need to move too.
2. A detector to tell when the previous ball has returned before throwing the next ball.

If I set up my Newgy for 1.0 second between balls and start moving back I find that I am hitting the next ball before the last ball I hit has got back to the Newgy.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 1:38am
tt4me, better teach your neighbour to play table tennis Big smile
Warranty and local Natl support/service is the most important thing about expensive and complex robots. BTW, it's not that difficult to extend the collecting net so that you can put the robot back from the table. Practically, all rotations in S9 greater than 10 require such viprakarSa (dragging away).
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 2:42am
Hi dave,

Be glad to play you again if we meet up.

I have no experience with the Oukei, but if I were to do the robot thing again, I'd definitely get one just to practice return of serve, no other drills are useful at our level
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 2:57am

tt4me, better teach your neighbour to play table tennis Big smile

This is off topic.
I have done better than that.  I have my own club.  I have a nice place to play at work where I can play 5 days a week and the 6th I play against my coach.  I have a robot, a Newgy 2050 when there is no one around.  A Newgy 2050 is not the best robot but it does a lot of what I need.

Warranty and local Natl support/service is the most important thing about expensive and complex robots.

Agreed.  I have wondered about getting spare parts.  My Newgy is 3.5 years old. That is a long time for a mechanical device without much maintenance.  Mechanically it has been pretty reliable.  The electrical and programming parts are amateurish as if done in a garage.  However, I bought the Newgy because it had a good parts list and there was an address in the US.

BTW, it's not that difficult to extend the collecting net so that you can put the robot back from the table.

I have moved my Newgy 2500 far back from the table and angled the head so it shoots the best approximation of lobbed balls I can achieve.  I can usually slam these back into the net even though it is 10-12 feet back.  In this case I don't have to extend the net.

I also have turned the motor up and thrown back spin balls from about 10-12 ft back to simulate heavy chops from way back.  I can't hit these balls back into the net that far back because the balls have a lot of top spin so they drop quickly after hitting the table.  I program the head so it moves back and forth between two points so I must move before looping the heavy chop.

I would like to have the heavy topspin and backspin features of the Newstar 2080-C but right now I have opponents and a coach that is willing to abuse me with all the back spin I can tolerate.

I am sure TT robots will get much better over time.  I expect the programming to get much better.

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 9:04am
Where did you see the video of the Newstar?  Could you post a link?  
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 10:43am
BRS...here is a link to some short video clips of what it can do. http://tt-robot.com/new-star-2080-c-table-tennis-robot-p-193.html  It's amazing!
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 9:24pm
reviving the thread!

Nobody mentioned the Paddle Palace robots.  Anyone know anything about them?
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2015 at 12:06pm
I've had the top end paddle palace robot for 18 months. The owners manual pdf is available on their website. If you have specific questions that aren't answered in there you can pm me or post them here.
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2015 at 4:14pm
are you happy with it?
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2015 at 5:37pm
Short answer -- no.  I am replacing it because it doesn't do everything I want it to.  IMO the price is too much for what it does, so I wouldn't buy it again (not new anyway).

Long answer -- I have used the robot for hundreds of hours in 18 months. I learned a lot.  My rating went up several hundred points.  It has never given me the least bit of trouble in all that time, because it is built like a rock.  It does what it said it would do, I just didn't know enough about what I wanted at the time.  And honestly after spending about 800 hours with anything I am liable to get kind of bored and want a change.  It's a severe EJing habit compressed all into one purchase. The new robot will be my fourth in three years.

You may want to ask about the less expensive two-headed (two wheels each head) robot at PP.  If I were going to buy from them again I might choose that one instead.  But I've never used one of those (or even seen) so I can't tell you anything not on their website.

Try to use any robot before you buy.  It's expensive to change your mind, and online reviews are good, but not like trying one yourself.

wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2015 at 7:34pm
Sure seems like there are a lot of robots on the market in the last few years.

I bought a Newgy 5-6 years ago and never really used it a ton, mostly because of leg muscle issues.

Lately I have been able to actually practice and I'm really noticing some limitations of it. I'm still getting value out of it but I sure think my development would improve with some extra features.

So now I'm in the market for a new one.

One thing it sure needs is variable spin to speed ratio (and no spin!). So for sure 2 wheels. The butterfly ones look rather interesting.
Has to be reliable. 
Needs a certain amount of precision.
Allow for random drills or longer sequences.

I may be willing to pay for game like sequences - short push serve, long push to the backhand, no spin to the middle for example.

Keep the thread going :)

bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2015 at 8:07pm
what's the best (most versatile, reliable, ease of use) robot in the ~$1,500 price range?  Anyone?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic