Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TBS with ALC handle, former owner Boll

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Timo1978 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TBS with ALC handle, former owner Boll
    Posted: 08/23/2013 at 2:07pm
Here is a used TBS with ALC handle, owned by Boll....
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 2:12pm
What do the letters say? It's difficult to read.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Timo1978 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 2:23pm
I do not really know, the letters are written by the person that sealed this blade.
Beginning is of course T.Boll ST or T.Boll Spirit and the others signs seem to be a Kind of code, maybe the date when he sealed the blade written in Roman letters and meaning the year. Sorry for the bad Quality, but Pictures from professional blades are rare.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 2:26pm
what would be the purpose of switching handles ? are the two handles (TBS & ALC) different ?

Is it for sale ?? Big smile

Edited by jt99sf - 08/23/2013 at 3:20pm
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Timo1978 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 2:33pm
There may be many reasons....Promotion to make People believe he is using ALC..
I suppose he does not like the TBS handle and feels more comfortable with the ALC due to Vibration
or other issues. I did not try both, so where are the Players that use ALC and TBS and can tell us something about it?Hug
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 2:40pm
The two handles are different – the TB ALC is a bit bigger and more square. That said, I'm sure Butterfly would also rather see him sporting a blade from his newer signature line (even though TBS is naturally also a Timo Boll signature blade). Are you entirely sure it's not a Viscaria with TB ALC handle? Knowing that Timo Boll played with Viscaria for several years that could certainly be a possibility.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 3:26pm
Yes, ALC handle is longer and more square.  Also, the newer TB-ALC is made of same woods, but they do something to the outer ply of wood to make it "shinier" and they often play a little bit harder and a touch faster than older TBS (depending on which ones you get, they are not all that different).  Maybe the TB-ALC blades are treated with UV light, like Stiga does with their "CR" blades?  Timo probably liked the feel of his old one.  You can see how much grain there is in the wood.  This is a really beautiful blade.

Also, I have to echo Pondus.  That surface looks for all the world like the surface if my Viscarias, and it doesn't look like any TB-ALC I have ever seen.

Edited by Baal - 08/23/2013 at 3:27pm
Timo1978 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 3:30pm
I am sure 100% that it was Bolls blade. Several sources confirmed that i was a blade that he used...
I also know the old rumors about Boll still using Viscaria, many heard that of course. I was not the lucky buyer of this blade, it was sold at ebay Germany for mor than 200€ and in offer it was described as a TBS with ALC handle....Maybe the basic is a Viscaria but i think the new owner will not give it away for an examination...Disapprove
Perhaps the Viscaria Case in not true and it has always been a TBS... So the Story goes own with supposing and not knowing...But this is also the stuff to create legends about Players, blades and rubbers
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Timo1978 Timo1978 wrote:

I am sure 100% that it was Bolls blade. Several sources confirmed that i was a blade that he used...
I also know the old rumors about Boll still using Viscaria, many heard that of course. I was not the lucky buyer of this blade, it was sold at ebay Germany for mor than 200€ and in offer it was described as a TBS with ALC handle....Maybe the basic is a Viscaria but i think the new owner will not give it away for an examination...Disapprove
Perhaps the Viscaria Case in not true and it has always been a TBS... So the Story goes own with supposing and not knowing...But this is also the stuff to create legends about Players, blades and rubbers

I wasn't doubting whether it is/was legitimately Timo Boll's blade – just wondering if possibly the blade (not handle) could be Viscaria instead of TBS.

Baal: It does seem like the newer editions within the Timo Boll series get a final surface treatment of some sort (could be UV light). As you said, they certainly have a different look/physical feel to them than previous versions and Viscaria. The Zhang Jike series appear to get the same final surface treatment as well.

Edited by Pondus - 08/23/2013 at 9:11pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 4:44pm
Yes, the ZJK is also shiny.  I for one do not like the resulting effect at all.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 5:28pm
Timo your very fortunate to own such a jewel. Never never alter anything on it ever, not that I think you would. Would you tell us how you became the owner? If you ever get another one I would be very interested in purchasing it. :)

Go Kaiserslautern!
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Timo your very fortunate to own such a jewel. Never never alter anything on it ever, not that I think you would. Would you tell us how you became the owner? If you ever get another one I would be very interested in purchasing it. :)

Go Kaiserslautern!

He's not the owner. Cry
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2013 at 12:10am
Cry Gawd somebody hit me again please!
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Timo1978 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2013 at 1:57am
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Go Kaiserslautern!

He's not the owner. Cry

So many different People were biding for this blade, you can imagine. So i decided not to hunt it,
if you start biding there are always other guys that think i have to get this blade and they do not care  if it goes up to 400 or 500€. If you are infected by the biding disease you cannot stop, it is even worser than collecting blades disease....There is always the moment coming the brain stops thinking and heart is telling you to rise the bids to get it the gem....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic