FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Joola Rosskopf Emotion - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Slevin,

Could it be that your stroke wasn't advanced enough?

Of course, that is possible.

Back about 8 months ago, I used JRE in a few training sessions with Kewei Li (a chopper, but I'd say that he was at a 2500 level @ double inverted). He was using MJ then for these sessions. He tried my blade (we both had Tenergies on). He did not like it for the same 3 reasons (poor feedback on anything away from table, poor power and less dwell away from table). 

While the lack of feedback, dwell & spin (all mid-distance) are understandable given that it is a pure carbon blade, the power constraint I find puzzling. I can get more power from my Violin blade. Perhaps, this is a property of flexy all-wood blades in general as I saw similar results with Virtuoso relative to the JRE.

I am intrigued by ALC blades because of what happens when I loop hard. I cannot feel the difference between a good shot or a bad shot when I use my Rossi Emotion (they need to put some Artylate in that blade). I played with hurricane 5 long and a Michael Maze and the dference was clear.   I could feel the ball again and use the feedback to change my shot.

I asked in part because I expected you to quote me - you were the one who actually got me thinking about that, hence my quote which was influenced by your thinking.  So quoting me is more about my susceptibility to your influence than anything objective.  If you can date my statement as preceding yours, then I fully accept responsibility for it, though I doubt that will be the case.

I've switched to other blades since then, and as is often the case, there has been no radical improvement in my game - my looping consistency is largely the same, I am competitive in the 1700-2100 range with the occasional good win and bad loss,  and in some matches, I have looped people off the table with the JRE, while in others, I have struggled to make a shot with it. But ultimately, it is my game and no blade is a substitute for anyone's game and any blade can be mastered.  I largely miss the same shots when I change equipment - the difference is the feeling of what happens.

But it's good to know that your thinking was influenced by Kewei Li.  

Edited by NextLevel - 10/22/2014 at 7:14pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

balint_tt View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balint_tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 10:46pm
It is really interesting what you write slevin. Currently I'm using a Virtuoso and (as I wrote in another thread) I'm looking to upgrade it to a 7-ply or composite as I find it a little slow especially mid distance.

Now the fun part: an offense centric very good player has tried my Virtuoso out recently and he was really satisfied with its control- AND speed and even offered to buy it from me. He commented that the blade has good flex and if used well it kicks out the ball with good speed. Indeed his attacks were fast enough with it. On the same day an average club level player who uses Clipper has tried it out as well and he said it feels slow and I'm right in thinking in an update.

So now I stand here scratching my head and being unsure what to do :) The old saying that skill matters in what equipment to choose seems to be true again.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2014 at 1:23am
Originally posted by balint_tt balint_tt wrote:

It is really interesting what you write slevin. Currently I'm using a Virtuoso and (as I wrote in another thread) I'm looking to upgrade it to a 7-ply or composite as I find it a little slow especially mid distance.

Now the fun part: an offense centric very good player has tried my Virtuoso out recently and he was really satisfied with its control- AND speed and even offered to buy it from me. He commented that the blade has good flex and if used well it kicks out the ball with good speed. Indeed his attacks were fast enough with it. On the same day an average club level player who uses Clipper has tried it out as well and he said it feels slow and I'm right in thinking in an update.

So now I stand here scratching my head and being unsure what to do :) The old saying that skill matters in what equipment to choose seems to be true again.

The most important thing is for you to try out other people's blades and hope that the ones you like will play the same way if you purchase them.  Like I said, the Rossi Emotion's main benefit is that it is cheap and of course, plays well.  However, buying it without trying it is not a good idea for any blade in general unless you can resell or just have the money. IF you want something with mid distance power, try the blades of people in your club who have similar styles to the one you want to adopt and see whether it is the blade or just your strokes that need upgrading.  Ultimately, a blade mostly affects how a stroke feels.
Cybershape Carbon
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2014 at 3:39am
Have any of you tried the Waldner 89 and could relate it to the Emotion?

I'm this close to settling on this blade after my Viscaria got stolen, but I sometimes feel it lacks stability or solidity – as if it was a bit hollow.

Second question, I currently got a Maxxx 450 on the backhand, would you have any recommendations about a backhand rubber with a bit more dwell to compensate a bit for the blade's? I used to play JP03 on the Viscaria, but I'm worried it might not be so suited.

For the short review, I find the dwell average, it vibrates more than its ALC peers and is quite carbon-pingy when hitting harder. Other than this, I love its easy on/off behaviour to put the ball away, its woodiness in the short game, its blocking quality and how easy it is to counterloop with it. I find it awesome on the forehand side, a little bit less on the backhand where a bit more dwell and flex would help – I feel I can only power loop with it (due to the on/off effect I don't fully grasp yet). I do need a tad more time with it though, only had a week.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2014 at 11:33am
BTW: Aruna Quadri (the surprise performer in this year's WC) uses the JRE (think he's Joola sponsored).
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2014 at 12:34pm

BTW: Aruna Quadri (the surprise performer in this year's WC) uses the JRE (think he's Joola sponsored).
He's going to be here for the NA Teams so we can hopefully check then.  I don't think it's that obvious since that pattern isn't unique to the Rossi Emotion.
Cybershape Carbon
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2014 at 12:56pm

He's going to be here for the NA Teams so we can hopefully check then.  I don't think it's that obvious since that pattern isn't unique to the Rossi Emotion.

Aruna mentions it here
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2014 at 2:49pm

Aruna mentions it here
Thanks for the link.  Another crazy pro who by his own admission doesn't use Tenergy, uses a 42.5 degree low throw rubber with the plastic ball, and a blade which lacks power away from the table!

Edit: Rhyzm-P is actually 45 degree sponge...

Edited by NextLevel - 11/04/2014 at 12:52pm
Cybershape Carbon
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2014 at 3:05pm

Aruna mentions it here
Thanks for the link.  Another crazy pro who by his own admission doesn't use Tenergy, uses a 42.5 degree low throw rubber with the plastic ball, and a blade which lacks power away from the table!

@ Slevin - Nice one, great info...

First thing that came to my mind was - Wow! Interesting, he's a phenomenal athlete though...

That setup wouldn't suit me...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2014 at 4:18pm

Aruna mentions it here

Despite his statements, he was using Joola Maxx & not Rhyzm-P for the WC.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2014 at 4:34pm
That would make sense. How did you know?
Cybershape Carbon
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2014 at 5:57pm

That would make sense. How did you know?

Using this, assuming that it is genuine of,course.

Edited by slevin - 11/04/2014 at 6:03pm
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 9:37am

Aruna mentions it here

Despite his statements, he was using Joola Maxx & not Rhyzm-P for the WC.

another question is it 400, 450 or 500?
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 3:54pm
His interview reply looks very much like a PR statement, specifically about the Rhyzm-P. I do think he uses the Emotion though, the pics from the bottom and top of the handle are definitely an Emotion's. Of course, it could be a handle swap, etc.
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 7:09pm
I'm not suprised Aruna use the JRE. Top quality blade "despite" the fair price. The FL handle is the best i have seen so far for big hands also. I'm thinking about switching to my JRE and leave my TBalc. 
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 11:37am
Copying my message from the Waldner Legend topic in case more people watch this one. :D

Hi guys, and AndySmith in particular, what are the Waldner Legend Carbon strengths and weaknesses relative to the Rossi Emotion?

I could infer: greater speed, stiffer, more power, but I'm not so sure about the shortcomings. How good is it in the short game, for looping, for blocking? Is it much bouncier for touch shots?

Is it very carbon-y, or relatively woody?

Does the oversize head make it very head heavy, and how is it balanced? I'm a bit worried about this.

I'm fairly happy with the Emotion, which is a wonderful do-it-all blade. Can't flaw it, yet I can't help but want to expand my blade knowledge… for example, I don't know much about hinoki, and I don't think the Emotion plays or feel like a typical hinoki blade due to the thin layer, so I'm still curious as to how hinoki feels.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

Copying my message from the Waldner Legend topic in case more people watch this one. :D

Hi guys, and AndySmith in particular, what are the Waldner Legend Carbon strengths and weaknesses relative to the Rossi Emotion?

I could infer: greater speed, stiffer, more power, but I'm not so sure about the shortcomings. How good is it in the short game, for looping, for blocking? Is it much bouncier for touch shots?

Is it very carbon-y, or relatively woody?

Does the oversize head make it very head heavy, and how is it balanced? I'm a bit worried about this.

I'm fairly happy with the Emotion, which is a wonderful do-it-all blade. Can't flaw it, yet I can't help but want to expand my blade knowledge… for example, I don't know much about hinoki, and I don't think the Emotion plays or feel like a typical hinoki blade due to the thin layer, so I'm still curious as to how hinoki feels.

I think you've got the gist of it already.

The WLC headlines are:

Bigger headsize.
Thicker hinoki.
Softer feel.
Stiffer.
Faster.

It's a more typical 3+2 with hinoki outer. The JRE is a less common construction.

It can be head-heavy with 2 heavy rubbers on there, for sure. I did give some thought to sanding the head down, but in the end the overly soft feel led me to give up on the WLC anyway.

I felt that the WLC was brilliant in the short game. For a fast blade, it behaves incredibly well in the touchy, slow stuff. The hinoki bounciness only appears on more active strokes (or when the incoming ball speed is higher), and in slow impact situations it takes some speed off the ball. This is the classic non-linear hinoki thing, and rubber selection can be crucial (which in turn depends on your style, needs, insanity level, etc).

The JRE has *some* of the hinoki feel, but dialled down when compared to the WLC (or a "proper" 1 ply hinoki). The main thing to consider (IMO, as always) is the non-linearity. It's a very personal thing. The JRE has some of that - do you want more?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 1:53am
If you are interested in a similar blade to Waldner Legend Carbon but smaller head size there is the Xiom Ignito or Darker Carbon Esteem. If you want more honors feel and less carbon feel you can go for the Darker 7p2a carbon.
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 2:52am
I compared WLC vs JRE compared with nearly identical setups, i.e., 1) WLC, Adidas P7 + Rasant Grip, and 2) JRE, Adidas P7 + Adidas P7.

WLC has incredible control and feel, especially considering how fast it is when fully engaged. Excellent for fast loop drives, very good for direct hitting,  blocking is outstandingly crisp, excellent short game and very good short serves. It is very linear. It feels as if I can impart less spin on loops compared to when playing with a all-wood blade, which has longer dwell time 

JRE has slightly less control especially for looping (dwell time is shorter than WLC - many balls ending in net), but it is exceptional for direct hitting. I disagree with most other reviewers. To me the JRE has a harder, faster, less controlable and has a more carbony feel to it. 

IMO the WLC is the better blade, especially for as a more balanced match setup. It can be blistering fast, yet wonderfully controlled for short play and serves. The Hinoki feel is very special, but I got used to it within 2 minutes.  

Finally a quick suggestion how to keep the weight of the WLC down and attain a wonderful balance in my opinion. Simply attach the rubber half an inch higher on the blade than you normally would do. My WLC setup (Max and 2.1) is 188g, but it feels more like 175 due to the balance (I hate heavy setups, yet this does not bother me at all) . The JRE (with 2 x max) is 185g.

I hope this helps someone - 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 7:30am
Very interesting feedbacks, thank you all.

Andy, I'm not bothered at all by the on-off effect of the RE, it plays very naturally to me. I'm not sure if I want more or less of the effect, since I'm not feeling it. From your description, there's no obvious counter-indication for me with the WLC, apart from the soft hinoki feel (which I don't know yet) and the higher non-linearity. As for rubber selections, I don't mind changing BH (I've tried quite a few ranging from 40 to 45 degress) but I'm firmly attached to my T05 in the FH, but I'm pretty sure it will fit fine.

ttping85, I couldn't read a lot on the 2-3 alternatives you offered, and the Darker's are a bit beyond my budget for scratching an EJ itch. It's a bit silly since if I really turn out to enjoy hinoki, I might eventually get a Darker, since they're so famous for it. I've seen the Xiom Ignito had some bottoming-out issue a high power, this puts me off a bit. But I'll flag it, I may come back to it.

Patrick, you're probably the worst out of them all since your feedback is so positive! Loop-driving is my key shot (agressive looper at the table) so it's definitely a big plus. I also find the RE a little pingy, and I remember struggling to impart the same amount of spin, initially.

I did consider what you suggest for keeping the weight down, but I'm a little worried it will shift the balance further to the head. I like countering off the bounce and head-heaviness makes it much harder to get the timing right. So above all, this is my main concern.

Anyway, I'm really close to getting that blade. At £40+, it's a pretty good deal given all the praise it got, and it's also not too dear if it turns out I don't like it.
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 11:31am
Let us know what you think when you get the WLC...
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2015 at 7:13am
I've posted my review in the WLC topic.

Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

I tested the WLC for 30 min. I think it's pretty much in line with what was described.

The blade quality was OK, handle was a bit rough, which I don't mind, but the hinoki plies on FH and BH looked like they split vertically prior to gluing and still were glued side-by-side.

Compared to the Joola Rossi Emotion (RE), its bigger head size means it's not as easy to move around. It's probably a matter of habit. I put on new sheets of T05 and JP02.

The carbon layer and the hinoki are thicker than the RE's, and so the blade feels number, softer, and the hinoki effect is more pronounced. I generally like a touch more hardness and more vibes, because I mostly loop-drive on my FH (normal loop on the BH) and like hitting as well. For this, the RE is better, though at full power the WLC actually manages pretty well in flat hitting, thanks to the thick carbon layer.

It is faster, bouncier and more powerful. It's also stiffer, but it's hidden by the softness until you start hitting really hard, and this is where you can feel the blade's power. At medium gear, the speed doesn't feel that much more than the RE's. It feels fuller and more stable in the high gear.

The throw is a tad higher than the RE, so medium-high. Makes it great for looping mid-distance. Flicking I found good as well. The short game was good but I haven't grasped yet at what input strength the blade starts becoming bouncy. Dwell is good but I could feel my loops weren't as spinny – this doesn't say anything about the blade's abilities, just that I'm not yet used to it.

I think the main grips I have with it are the head size and the numbness. My loops weren't as spinny and it was hard knowing what to adjust given the lack of feedback. It's quite usual to have to adjust a bit your timing and stroke with a new blade, but numbness makes it harder.

I'll need to play more with it to make up my mind about this blade. It has undeniable qualities, but I'm worried it will just magnify my game, with its strengths and weaknesses. I may choose to revert to a slower blade to improve my consistency, at the cost of some power and direct kills, before going back to a more powerful blade once I've developed a "feel" for that consistency.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 5:05am
I've been playing with RW5&TRACTION2&M1 and was quite happy overally but now the season is over I'm planning about e'jing some slower stuff to correct my weak points.

I used to have some troubles with service returns and short ball because it's bouncy nature of my M1 as well as Top hardly of RW5. Otoh, I felt the spin wasn't deadly enough on my services however my power loops were devastating. (I'm a power looper, rather than control looper/drive player.

My question is... Dont you think this JRE might be a little bit "outdated" with this shitty PB? I mean, lack of power of not suitable for my gamestyle?

I was wondering about trying same rubbers on JRE or keep using my RW5 and trying Big Dipper as 2nd choice.

Thanks for reading me
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 6:20am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Dont you think this JRE might be a little bit "outdated" with this shitty PB? I mean, lack of power of not suitable for my gamestyle?

What's PB? If it's penhold backhand, then I'm not sure what I'll say is relevant, I know nothing and penholder needs as far as blades go.

The JRE is definitely great for short game, it's very controlled and isn't overly soft-feeling.

I'm also a power looper and I like the JRE a lot for this. I'm able to generate enough power with it while keeping good control over the rest of the game.

I can't say about BD vs Traction, I know neither.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 6:38am
He means Plastic Ball.

I was at a plastic tournament last weekend, and a lot of players were using the JRE. Including the 1st seed, who won the band 1 event.

Lighter JREs can feel a bit gutless, so go for a heavier one if you're worried. Also, everyone I saw was using harder rubbers. Lots of tenergy and rhyzm being used. Worth thinking about.

I also saw a lot of Waldner Senso Carbons knocking around, so that's my next port of cal .
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 6:39am
Plastic ball I meant
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 6:39am
Also - I really didn't like bd on the JRE, but that was the 38 degree one. Too off/on for me, but that's just me.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 8:53am
Mine was 86 gr, I traded to a friend a couple years ago... I guess that's the average weight. I was trying last summer and I did like it but lacked a bit power at mid distance shots. I'm also discarding the idea of trying it with BD, more lively ESN sponges will fit better

Edited by jonyer1980 - 04/18/2015 at 8:56am
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 12:21pm
Mine is 86g as well and it's not the best away from the table, it's more suited to close-mid. Not a major issue for my game, but if you like playing mid-distance, it may be.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2015 at 12:40pm
Ive been trying muy old M1&traction2 but didnt like it. I felt quite stiff but slow and turned TR2 into a quite mushy low-throw rubber...

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
  Share Topic