Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Why is Tenergy 05 considered the best rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I think bouncy can be used both positively and negatively. People often prefer a rubber with more bounce on their backhand for example as it can be used to provide extra energy. People also prefer bouncy rubber for smashing especially against a lob. It can also be used negatively by associating it with a lack of control or a lack of gears.

This brings up a point about your definition of linear. I think you combined the definition of linear with the definition of gears. Linear tends to mean a rubbers performance is predictable and consistent. While gears are proportional to the effort you put into it i.e the soft stroke, hard stroke example you gave.

all the liveliness and bounciness and requiring less effort characteristics that rubbers like tenergy have are not appreciated when training or in some matches.
you appreciate them in matches where you play many balls and many times get caught off guard and out of position, with very limited time to move and prepare a shot (many times you even react by instinct, just putting the paddle there).

I think there are many rubbers out there that can produce a better shot than tenergy.
evolution, h3, they all produce better shots than tenergy.
but tenergy has that characteristic that you just put the paddle there, make a tiny arm movement and you have a nice counterloop with nice speed and spin.

I guess that's also why so many pros use them, because they don't care about how many spin they make or if the arc of their arm is correct when looping.
they are not focused on how good the rubber is for training but how good it behaves in the type of matches they play in their level.
also a very small arm movement means recovering faster.
that's why pros need very fast rubbers.

Edited by puppy412 - 10/29/2013 at 1:28pm
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 2:05pm

I would argue that since Rakza 7 (the best of its generation) and the sequential (our current) generation onwards, euro rubber has been able to match the performance of Tenergy. However, Tenergy had a HUGE head start which caused it to take the lion's share of top players.

I think this is true.  A four year head start is a long lead.  I still think though that T05 has a somewhat different feel from all the other rubbers that have pretty similar performance.  I don't want to say that it is a better feel, but it is pretty unique.  I have been using it so long that I like it best.  And maybe that is why it maintains its market share?
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I would argue that since Rakza 7 (the best of its generation) and the sequential (our current) generation onwards, euro rubber has been able to match the performance of Tenergy. However, Tenergy had a HUGE head start which caused it to take the lion's share of top players.

I think this is true.  A four year head start is a long lead.  I still think though that T05 has a somewhat different feel from all the other rubbers that have pretty similar performance.  I don't want to say that it is a better feel, but it is pretty unique.  I have been using it so long that I like it best.  And maybe that is why it maintains its market share?

I agree, Tenergy feels different, and the sponge IS different, it plays nearer to speed glue when re-looping than any other untuned rubber IMO. 
The Older I get, The better I was.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I agree, Tenergy feels different, and the sponge IS different, it plays nearer to speed glue when re-looping than any other untuned rubber IMO. 
But you are not an EJ are you, so how would you know? Big smile
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 3:12pm
imo its considered the best rubber because its one of those autopilot rubbers that does so many things for you all you have to do is be in the vicinity of the ball and stuff will happen.
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Between sp glue being banned, and giving in the to enormous expense of Tenergy I tried loads of rubbers, and I don't live in a bubble you know, I ask for a hit with most players set ups I come in to contact with. 
 but I don't spend vast fortunes trying to improve my game via my equipment , my definition of an equipment junkie. 
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 5:14pm

Yes, Tenergy has it's own unique feel but by that argument, that same statement can be made about the current generation of rubber also. My Xiom Sigma has its own feel and I'm sure Evolution has its own feel, etc.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 5:34pm

Between sp glue being banned, and giving in the to enormous expense of Tenergy I tried loads of rubbers, and I don't live in a bubble you know, I ask for a hit with most players set ups I come in to contact with. 
 but I don't spend vast fortunes trying to improve my game via my equipment , my definition of an equipment junkie. 
I just thought you would have to use something more extensively to be sure, that's all.  Few people push equipment to its limits when hitting with other people's blades.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 7:00pm
VAMPIRE OF A RUBBER.

Т05 rubber (as well as the others of large-pore rubbers) is very much like a mad sexual vampiress.

She takes all your sexual and physical potency to have carnal satisfaction enough.
Once you happen to contact the ball at lower speed, you will lose controll over the rallies.

Look, Timo Boll seemed to be a bit UNWELL at his latest match Vs. Samsonov, and he lost ball control outright for not being able to play the ball at full speed.
T05 favoured him NO mercy.

T05 IS SOME VAMPIRE, IT WANTS ALL YOUR BLOOD, TO THE VERY LAST DROP.
BE PREWARNED, BOY...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

VAMPIRE OF A RUBBER.

Т05 rubber (as well as the others of large-pore rubbers) is very much like a mad sexual vampiress.

She takes all your sexual and physical potency to have carnal satisfaction enough.
Once you happen to contact the ball at lower speed, you will lose controll over the rallies.

Look, Timo Boll seemed to be a bit UNWELL at his latest match Vs. Samsonov, and he lost ball control outright for not being able to play the ball at full speed.

BE PREWARNED, BOY...

igorponger for forum admin 2014!
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 8:46pm
Why isn't the FX variants of tenergy up there with the regular version in terms of popularity? (disregarding Kreanga and ZJK)
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Why isn't the FX variants of tenergy up there with the regular version in terms of popularity? (disregarding Kreanga and ZJK)

Even Kreanga switches between fx and regular depending on his location.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 9:25pm

@General sorry was that meant to be a joke against the Greek economy? :o sorry Im confused could you go into more detail please?

Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 9:30pm
Haha not a joke about Greece. Kreanga stated in an interview once that in small halls he will use 05fx for the added control and in large halls he will use 05 for the added power.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 9:31pm

VAMPIRE OF A RUBBER.

BE PREWARNED, BOY...

I like the allusions to a vampiress, carnal satisfaction, and bodily fluids--Igor, clearly this is some of your best work yet --but perhaps you might want to reflect that Samsonov was also using a large-pored rubber in his latest match against Boll that you mention.  Maybe Russians and Belarusians are immune to these effects?  Maybe Vladi plays with a clove of garlic in his pocket?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 9:37pm

Haha not a joke about Greece. Kreanga stated in an interview once that in small halls he will use 05fx for the added control and in large halls he will use 05 for the added power.

Here is the interview where he discusses it.

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
mertus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mertus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2013 at 1:25am

It was first to market among the extremely spinny high throw speed glue effect rubbers and had amazingly high throw and spin, making it excellent for counterlooping, especially close to mid distance. It also makes it easier to loop chop with a closed blade.

As a pro, once you get used to something, you hate to switch if nothing else plays similarly enough and T05 is unique enough that people who built their technique around it at the top level have switching pains because of the throw. You can play with a very closed blade and loop extremely hard with confidence.

Other rubbers have closed the gap now but not to the point that Tenergy users have to switch.

+1. IMHO latest generation tensors are closing the gap in terms of speed, spin and trajectory. Also lots of them have even surpassed the Tenergy's speed and durability. But unfortunately these improvements were not enough for the pros to switch allegiance.
Forehand: Haifu BWII RS
Backhand: Xiom Sigma II Pro
Blade: Butterfly Reygundo FL
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2013 at 11:05am

It was first to market among the extremely spinny high throw speed glue effect rubbers and had amazingly high throw and spin, making it excellent for counterlooping, especially close to mid distance. It also makes it easier to loop chop with a closed blade.

As a pro, once you get used to something, you hate to switch if nothing else plays similarly enough and T05 is unique enough that people who built their technique around it at the top level have switching pains because of the throw. You can play with a very closed blade and loop extremely hard with confidence.

Other rubbers have closed the gap now but not to the point that Tenergy users have to switch.

I missed this one, absolutely spot on IMO
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2013 at 11:12am
Originally posted by mertus mertus wrote:

+1. IMHO latest generation tensors are closing the gap in terms of speed, spin and trajectory. Also lots of them have even surpassed the Tenergy's speed and durability. But unfortunately these improvements were not enough for the pros to switch allegiance.

Tenergy was never the fastest rubber.  From the beginning, there were tensors just as fast -- things like JO Platinum for example.  But nothing felt as much like speed glued rubber and still nothing else does.  The gap has narrowed a lot, but I still think there is a gap.  For me personally that means I can tolerate a gap in price -- up to a point.  Tenergy reached that point but have come back to earth so I continue to use it.  But there will come a day soon when something else comes out that completely bridges the gap.  Now, there are some people who never liked Tenergy.  But most people who try it for awhile really like it.
Pushdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2013 at 11:35am
If I play 8 hours a week, how long will Tenergy 05 or 80 last?
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2013 at 12:26pm

Tenergy was never the fastest rubber.  From the beginning, there were tensors just as fast -- things like JO Platinum for example.  But nothing felt as much like speed glued rubber and still nothing else does.  The gap has narrowed a lot, but I still think there is a gap. 

This is what I have always felt, after the sp/glue ban attempts, at replicating the speed glue feeling just resulted in extremely fast rubbers, T05 has lots of control, but a huge 'gear' up in speed when activated by incoming topspin, this allows a slower arm when re-looping giving increased consistency over its competitors. Its very personal though, the last rubber I tried on recommendation was Xeom Vega pro about two seasons ago, and it was just too one paced for me and I struggled with consistency.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2013 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Pushdeep Pushdeep wrote:

Tenergy 05 and 80 are in my opinion among the most durable non-Chinese rubbers, and their performance (spin, speed, feel) remains pretty stable for  quite a long time, even after the topsheet starts to look worn.  I found that Evolution and Bluefire series, which come closest to Tenergy, show a more rapid change in performance as the factory tuner evaporates.  However, those rubbers are very durable in terms of the topsheet not crumbling, tearing, etc.  For all of these I recommend wide edgetape that comes all the way from top sheet to topsheet.  Clean them with water between use.  I don't use Chinese rubbers, but those things from other people who do use them seem to last forever, but they favor a completely different playing style, and I simply can't use them.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2013 at 6:18pm
"imo its considered the best rubber because its one of those autopilot rubbers that does so many things for you all you have to do is be in the vicinity of the ball and stuff will happen."

Yes. All I do is put the racket on top of the table and go eat a sandwich while serves and loops get produced as if by magic. You should see the face on my opponents.
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2013 at 7:12pm

VAMPIRE OF A RUBBER.

BE PREWARNED, BOY...
I totally agree with this! 
Recently, I got both of my cousins into TT, both are in their 30's. I started them off with slow tacky rubber, and they could hit the ball pretty hard and confidently. I then gave them a racket with T05, they suddenly turned into scared cats. They could no longer hit the ball!! They were baby brushing/cripple stroking. In one second, the stroke totally changed!
It's a dangerous rubber without a coach/garlic. A coach will correct you instantly and shield you from going down a cripple path/crap stroking. I told my cousin exactly what he was doing, and switched him back and forth between tacky and T05. I would not recommend anyone use T05, without coach supervision. Unless, you are 2000++ usatt or have been coached in the past or you have a good coach watching you. I've seen some coaches stay silent, while their student was using extremely bad technique. Slow equipment ftw.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

"imo its considered the best rubber because its one of those autopilot rubbers that does so many things for you all you have to do is be in the vicinity of the ball and stuff will happen."

Yes. All I do is put the racket on top of the table and go eat a sandwich while serves and loops get produced as if by magic. You should see the face on my opponents.

sarcasm?
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Really, I'm too cheap to go for a Tenergy - but what kind of sandwich? That might be in my price range!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 1:03pm
Sandwich?

Try a BLT

A Ball Looped without Tenergy...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Pushdeep Pushdeep wrote:

Depends on how hard you really hit the ball; whether you produce a topsheet-ripping loops etc.

But on average I would say that you will have to change it no more than three times a year.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Please someone justify this or prove me wrong, I really want to know why people think Tenergy 05 is the best rubber and why.

Best for whom? I am of the firm opinion that generally speaking, when players below USATT-2000 use T-05 it is a waste of money, time etc. Not to mention these players would get better results, better loop execution technique and healthier wallet using 30 dollar rubbers instead (Palio Blitz, Xiome Omega IV, Tibhar Aurus and some others; I am not even talking about cheaper alternatives as they are more controversial).

My clubmate (USATT-2200 player) plays with T-05 and he says that for the first 2-3 weeks he hates it as it is super sensitive to the incoming spin and he literally has to spend many hours in the club before a tournament when he puts on a new Tenergy - not to get used to it but to get rid of the "newness" of the rubber.

For players at below 2000 this is extremely frustrating. Especially for players who are not teenagers with a lot of energy and fast legs. If you don't work every ball, if you sometimes get careless, lazy or tired, you will get punished right away. And why would you even use it when there are rubbers which are twice cheaper and play better for you.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 4:22pm
I agree 100% Jim T. Right equipment for the right level is a no brainer. I have beginners ask me what they should be using and I do my best to recommend something that will help them develop. Next week they show up with a OFF+ carbon blade and T05. Wacko
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic