Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

backhand attack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: backhand attack
    Posted: 11/12/2013 at 11:10pm
I am an intermediate player with a rating of USATT 1500...I can initiate an offense with the backhand topspin against any serve but fail to execute the backhand topspin during a rally or off a block against my first backhand topspin. I always end up trying to play the block shot when th ball comes to my backhand area. Any tips on how to get better at playing BH topspin in a rally? I am able to play consecutive BH topspins in the practice but during  a game I just resort back to blocks. 

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2013 at 11:17pm
The reason you block the ball instead of being able to topspin back is that you're not taking a backswing prior to making contact with the incoming ball. Without a backswing, you only have time to stick the paddle out for a block.
Back to table tennis...
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 12:16am
ANCHORFREE_VERSION="633161526"var _AF2$ = {'SN':'HSSHIELD00US','IP':'85.237.212.185','CH':'HSSCNL000232','CT':'XX','HST':'&toAdltIntr=1','AFH':'hss200','RN':Math.floor(Math.random()*999),'TOP':(parent.location!=document.location||top.location!=document.location)?0:1,'AFVER':'2.25','fbw':false,'FBWCNT':0,'FBWCNTNAME':'FBWCNT_FIREFOX','NOFBWNAME':'NO_FBW_FIREFOX','B':'f','VER': 'us'};if(_AF2$.TOP==1){document.write("");}
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

The reason you block the ball instead of being able to topspin back is that you're not taking a backswing prior to making contact with the incoming ball. Without a backswing, you only have time to stick the paddle out for a block.

Sorry Leshxa I and William Henzell disagree. These two videos of his are easily the best backhand coaching videos on youtube right now.

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 1:16am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

ANCHORFREE_VERSION="633161526"var _AF2$ = {'SN':'HSSHIELD00US','IP':'85.237.212.185','CH':'HSSCNL000232','CT':'XX','HST':'&toAdltIntr=1','AFH':'hss200','RN':Math.floor(Math.random()*999),'TOP':(parent.location!=document.location||top.location!=document.location)?0:1,'AFVER':'2.25','fbw':false,'FBWCNT':0,'FBWCNTNAME':'FBWCNT_FIREFOX','NOFBWNAME':'NO_FBW_FIREFOX','B':'f','VER': 'us'};if(_AF2$.TOP==1){document.write("");}

Sorry Leshxa I and William Henzell disagree. These two videos of his are easily the best backhand coaching videos on youtube right now.

I think it's just you that disagrees, brobot. 

Henzell takes a backswing all day long in his topspin against block video. 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 5:13am
Originally posted by Vdog Vdog wrote:

I am an intermediate player with a rating of USATT 1500...I can initiate an offense with the backhand topspin against any serve but fail to execute the backhand topspin during a rally or off a block against my first backhand topspin. I always end up trying to play the block shot when th ball comes to my backhand area. Any tips on how to get better at playing BH topspin in a rally? I am able to play consecutive BH topspins in the practice but during  a game I just resort back to blocks. 

Thanks in advance!
 Step back to give yourself more time and room to play a stroke, and practice irregular drills with a b/hand switch.
The Older I get, The better I was.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 5:17am

CorrectSmile he most likely recovers to a f/hand position in free play which gives little time to get his bat across, where as on return of serve its easy to predetermine his stroke.

You can watch Henzell's beautiful b/hand stroke all day, but it won't help if you recover to your f/hand as a default in free play because you won't have time to execute it.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 7:32am
hi vdog
you have some excellent advice there.

To get your backswing right do some self-analysis:-
notice that when you block the ball in practice the bat starts BEHIND the contact point, so that the motion can only be forward. If you did swing upward you would miss.
For backhand topspin, you should backswing so that the edge of the racket is BELOW the ball, at the beginning of the stroke. This will put the racket in position to brush upward at the ball.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 8:11am

I don't see the question in the OP as the technique problem. I see it as a mental issue. Why is this player unable to initiate a second backhand shot, even though he seems to be able to execute it properly in training? That is how I came up with the answer. If its not technique, then its either timing or position that is not allowing the player to execute a proper technical stroke. Hence, my answer.

APW46 and pingpongpaddy are much more experienced than I and seem to agree with my advice. I think this answer is probably the most precise one for the OPs question. But I would recommend anyone to listen to APW46 and pingpongpaddy even before looking at my suggestions any day. Wink

Edited by Leshxa - 11/13/2013 at 8:15am
Back to table tennis...
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 8:35am

I don't see the question in the OP as the technique problem. I see it as a mental issue. Why is this player unable to initiate a second backhand shot, even though he seems to be able to execute it properly in training? That is how I came up with the answer. If its not technique, then its either timing or position that is not allowing the player to execute a proper technical stroke. Hence, my answer.

Good detective work, this is the way to think when a player presents with this personal type of question, rather than just dig up a textbook execution clip and advise to copy. Getting to the root of the problem by tracking backwards usually works for me.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 8:51am
Hard to diagnose without seeing someone play.  But there is a person at our club I knew who couldn't seem to hit more than one good backhand in a row.  In his case the problem was he was reaching a bit too far forward on the first BH, and because his footwork isn't great, he is a bit out of balance for the next one when it comes back, and so isn't able to drive the ball again.  He got better when he figured out to wait just a bit longer and take the ball a little closer to his body.

That may not be the issue with the OP.  But it agrees in general with APW and Leshxa that it could be at the root, a footwork and balance problem.  There are other things that could cause this too,  but I just mention it because I saw one guy with a very particular issue that led to this.  He was able to correct it fairly quickly once he worked on it.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 11:36am
@Vdog,

I have just gone through the same analysis of my backhand.

Next time you are doing BH to BH drills at a regular pace decide to hit an occasional power shot. Get your training partner to just block.

You may find (like me) that initially it is unnatural to fit one in as you feel locked in a rhythm, until you set yourself up for the power shot (drive/ strong BH loop) just after the previous shot has left your bat.

Now you need to find your trigger for the power shot. I'll share mine - I tend to just cock my wrist down before a power BH because blocks can be touchy and leave my wrist without any range; this sets me up. I have also been experimenting with a driving from the left foot trigger, inspired by a Ma Long training clip I've seen.

Once you can time your mental set-up and trigger you will be able to throw them in at will.

Hope this helps. ...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2013 at 8:02pm
The back swing and leg loading need to be done by the time the ball is bouncing on your side of the table. Could be a timing problem. It's likely you are too close to the table so you feel as though you don't have enough time to execute a BH TS shot. If that is not the case then it's psychological and you are defaulting to a block in match play because your not confident that your TS BH is going to make the table. Besides training scenarios, you might need to take more conscious control of it during match play to override your blocking until you build more confidence. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2013 at 12:41pm
V-Dog, maybe it is possible that your 1st BH topspin is OK, but the return is different from what you are expecting. When the ball comes back different than you anticipate, you will be majorly off time and reluctant to attack again. Maybe you were subconsciously expecting the 1st good BH to win the point, maybe you were expecting a faster block, maybe you were expecting the ball to come to a different location.

It is also possible you are good at opening vs underspin, but not as good vs incoming topspin or light topspin, like on a block. The opening and continuing stroke dynamics and timing are different. Like said before, maybe you moved away from neutral to a FH ready position and when the ball comes to BH there is not enough time.

Try BH looping practice where partner blocks your BH and you either continue BH attack from BH corner or step around FH as part of recovery.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2013 at 1:01pm
to OP: opening BH topspin and rally counter topspin are very different shots. If you try to use the same technique you will always fail. I know what you mean because I had exact same problem. I practiced with my robot and learned to open with BH loop on virtually any serve, and yet could not do BH counters during rallies.
The opening BH is almost always a pure brush stroke. It has a very short trajectory, and main strenght is spin. Main objective is to clear the net. 
The rally counter BH is NOT a brush stroke! Forget about brushing or you will have no quality even if u make it to the table! You need to go a lot more directly through the ball. Make sure your paddle is open and moving forward, not making a circle like during opening. You still have lots of topspin because you don't go 100% flat on the ball, but have a very slight angle for topspin, so you have stable trajectory. Main goal is no more clear the net. Look for the end of the table and try to place them deep. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2013 at 9:31pm
To OP: What you're experiencing with being able to implement something in warmup/practice, but not implementing in a game, is a pretty common thing even for higher rated players.  The key difference is that in the warmup/practice you know exactly what kind of ball is coming to you, whereas in the game you need to react with little notice.  Also, it is typical that you mentally put pressure on yourself to avoid making mistakes in a game situation, and thus are less comfortable committing to the stroke.

I would argue that the BH requires getting into the proper position to execute the stroke more so than the FH.  Thus in a game you are having trouble instinctively moving to the ball to be in the right position and/or also you are uncomfortable with committing to it under pressure because of lack of confidence.  Just as the technique video demonstrates, a BH counter drive/loop should be executed by waiting for the ball to come closer to you and then following through with the right arm/wrist motion.  You are clearly either not getting into position to do that, or you are doing the "safe" thing and reaching out to take the ball earlier to block.

There are a number of things you can try to break this pattern, such as:

1) During a game, just relax and try to consciously commit to hitting the BH counter.  This requires that you mentally "throw caution to the wind", which is very difficult for most people to do if the game means something.  Perhaps try playing "friendly" games instead, where the outcome has no consequence on ratings or whatever, to shed the mental pressure.

2) Drills.  In particular do drills that involve movement from side-to-side, from forehand-to-backhand, etc in order to learn the "flow" of moving your body into proper position and executing the shot at different angles and speeds.

3) Coaching, of course.  Maybe there are simply some problems with mechanics of your movement and stroke that you are not recognizing.  A coach can really help to weed out what is important in your particular situation.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2013 at 9:47pm
Geardaddy gave good advice.
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 12:50am
I would watch Michael Tsai
He has one of the prettiest BH I have seen.

Henzel is good but what I don't like about his BH is that his paddle is always changing angles or attitude so is very timing dependent.  It works for him but I don't think it is a good example for novices.

Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2013 at 12:23am
What you're trying to do is an advanced shot. It requires for you to master quite a few things: perfect timing, drop and semi-drop shots, being able to hit high with the same stroke, positioning, weighing in your power according to the speed of the incoming ball.

The common denominator is correct technique. Without it you might be able to execute 1 or 2 of these elements well, but you will bog down at the rest and your self-preservation instinct kicks in.

If you can do a really fast drop shot out of a medium-short float serve, you have a correct technique. Timing is next, so have your training partner shooting float multiballs at you with mixed placement and length. Then light topspin ones, and so on…

Edited by Lestat - 11/16/2013 at 12:24am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2013 at 12:46am
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Henzel is good but what I don't like about his BH is that his paddle is always changing angles or attitude so is very timing dependent.  It works for him but I don't think it is a good example for novices.

So how many novices have you taught the BH topspin and concluded that Henzel's technique is hard to teach?  All strokes are timing dependent as long as the incoming ball is not exactly the same, so showing a stroke that was done once and not repeated at a close camera angle is a misleading way of arguing that a stroke is not timing dependent.

Henzel uses the modern backhand with the wristy stroke.  If you were a member of his website, you would see him discuss the advantages and disadvantages of a less wristy stroke like the one that Tsai (or Wang Liqin, for a more popular exponent) uses in that video, the biggest thing being that the wristy stroke is more versatile for over the table play and sidespin shots and has more power for a smaller motion.

I seriously recommend that you remember the limitations of your TT knowledge when commenting about more advanced players or novice players.  The modern backhand topspin is not that hard to learn as long as it is shown to you like any other technique.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2013 at 4:48am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

So how many novices have you taught the BH topspin and concluded that Henzel's technique is hard to teach?
I wouldn't even try.  Wannabe,  what do you think your chances are of placing the ball with stroke like that?  Do the math or make an estimate if you can.  Look at the stroke critically.  You can see Henzel's paddle is waving all over the place more like a base ball bat.  I bet his paddle attitude is changing much faster than one degree per millisecond.   If Henzel hits the ball one millisecond early or late what difference will that make after going 3 meters over a table?
Would you swing like that?   I don't.  At least I hope I don't.  I prefer to keep the paddle attitude relatively constant during the possible times of impact.

@Baal,  here is a question that some one in your field might be able to answer.  How consistent do you think people are at timing when they hit a ball?   For instance if a robot was setup to shoot a ball every second and a person would told to hit the ball every second when a strobe went off,  how consistent do you think they would be?  Do you think they would be consistent within 20 millisecond or longer?   What if the test was made more realistic so the ball was shot at in consistent intervals so the player couldn't get into a rythm but the strobe always went off a fixed time after the ball was shot.  Now how consistent do you think the player would be?

If you don't know it would be an interesting thing to find out.

If the paddle attitude is changing 1 deg per millisecond and the impact varies  by 10 millisecond that makes a big difference in where the ball will land.  This could be computed with a little trig.

The low tech way of learning how to swing is to look at a side view of your paddle in the mirror during a stroke to make sure the paddle attitude is relatively constant around the time of impact.  I actually do this because I think it is important for consistency and placement.  I also have used my high speed camera too but if I really wanted to help someone like Henzel I would make a special paddle with a MRU, or motion reference unit, on one side and record data during the stroke at the highest speed possible.  Then one can plot the swing in 3D and determine where in the stroke the paddle is moving the fastest for the highest impact speed and where in the stroke the paddle maintains a relatively constant attitude for consistent placement.  Also, one could see the impact of the ball so and actually measure the dwell time if it were deemed important. I would be not.

6 ( x,y,z, yaw, pitch, roll) 16 bit analog channels would be over 100s bit if overhead was included.  A 10KHz sample rate would mean the data rate would need to be over 1 MB per second but a USB 2.0 would do the trick.  The problem is finding a MRU that updates at 10KHz.  A couple of us TT geeks have thought about this.  Oh, yeah,  it must weigh about 40gm or one sheet of cut rubber.

About TT knowledge.  Just what do you think you know that I don't know and who do you think cares?  All you are trying to do is score some sort of forum points.  zeio at least has the balls to post some calculations during mecuur's dwell time thread.  From you, nothing but criticism.  What do you really know?

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2013 at 8:30am
OK, tt4me.  I think my point has been made.  No experience, pure rationalization.

By the way, most young coaches with inverted backhands encourage the wristy backhand because of the reasons I gave already. They do not consider it any harder to teach and think it is more about whether the player wants an aggressive and versatile backhand or not.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/16/2013 at 8:32am
Cybershape Carbon
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2013 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

OK, tt4me.  I think my point has been made.
In your mind only.  You haven't refuted anything I have said.  You never do.  You just criticize and try to belittle.  I don't see where you have contributed anything.

No experience, pure rationalization.
You are clueless even though you have been given many clues.  You just don't recognize them.
I was playing TT when your parents were little kids.  I just took a break for many years.
About experience,  what have you done that the rest of us might recognize as a worthy accomplishment?

By the way, most young coaches with inverted backhands encourage the wristy backhand because of the reasons I gave already.
If you could read my post you would see that isn't the point I am making.  First try to understand before criticizing.  The point is keeping the normal vector to the face of the paddle pointed in the same direction during possible contact times.  Do you know what normal means in this context?

lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2013 at 7:01pm

I also have difficulty pulling the trigger on my BH against topspin, sidespin and many times just block but when I get backspin my response is generally to attack it properly. Maybe as some has  suggested reading the spin takes time and when one gets comfortable or can anticipate it properly then one's training kicks into play.   So this has been an interesting discussion to read,

thanks to all.  
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2013 at 3:11am
I suggest trying to block more and increase strength gradually. Then start on looping with back spin then to rally. Skipping those step might make you miss the basic.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2013 at 10:41am
One thing I love about Table tennis is that people who don't know enough about the game, instead of learning from people who do, try to prove points with science and physics because they don't know that they don't know, and invariably, they learn nothing. The people who do know what they are talking about all have something in common, they once knew nothing also, but are good at listening instead of arguing.
There is a guy at my club who is a massive intellect, he has written books ( not about TT) I have huge respect for him, but he has an absolutely awful TT brain and plays like an idiot. Sometimes you just can't bottle it.
 Nothing wrong with WM Henzell's b/hand technique, its beautiful. You don't 'teach' a stroke like that, you teach what falls in the basic parameters of requirements, the individuality then finds itself.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2013 at 10:58am

@Baal,  here is a question that some one in your field might be able to answer.  How consistent do you think people are at timing when they hit a ball?   For instance if a robot was setup to shoot a ball every second and a person would told to hit the ball every second when a strobe went off,  how consistent do you think they would be?  Do you think they would be consistent within 20 millisecond or longer?   What if the test was made more realistic so the ball was shot at in consistent intervals so the player couldn't get into a rythm but the strobe always went off a fixed time after the ball was shot.  Now how consistent do you think the player would be?

This is an interesting question and an interesting test and I don't know the answer but if I was guessing, I would not be surprised if it fell right around 20-50 ms, as you suggested.  But I am just guessing, and don't have a lot of confidence that I am correct on this point. 

Yesterday I was hitting with Jim Butler (who has one of the great BHs you will ever see, but the way).  At the maximum pace I am able to reliably play, he almost never mistimes and I do.  Jim started playing when he was about five years old.  The more simple the stroke, the fewer "degrees of freedom" that will cause timing errors.  Jim often talks about a "floppy" BH being an erratic BH.  But I don't think he would say William Henzell's BH is floppy, and there needs to be enough backswing to generate power, even if you time things perfectly, so there is a tradeoff.  Henzell's video emphasizes keeping head steady, and consistency in where the stroke starts (except for height). 

The key is whatever stroke you do, you need to know two things:  (1) where the ball is, and (2) where your hands are.  It is easier to know where your hands are on BH side, so a much greater diversity of strokes can be effective, it seems to me.  What becomes a problem is if you are significantly changing the way you hit the ball every time, because in that case you need to know a third thing also, which is (3) what kind of stroke and I going to use this time to connect (1) with (2).  And if you have to do that, you are hosed.  William Henzell never has to worry about (3) because his basic stroke is flawlessly engrained, and the rest of what is required are minor variations.     
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2013 at 5:03pm
So much about making a shot in a match has to do with continuous input as the ball approaches and your continuous and patterned (ingrained) responses/adjustments.  I'm not sure that the kind of contact point consistency measured while playing against robots and with triggered strobes really means much in a real point.

Personally, I'm currently struggling with the whole issue of how much wrist to use on my backhand.  I get more spin and speed with more wrist, but unsurprisingly, I lose accuracy.  Locking the wrist in more increases accuracy, but at the expense of speed and spin.  Since I'm using hardbat in a largely inverted world, I'm always looking for ways to add speed and spin.  So I want to keep the wrist action.

As I've experimented, I've begun think that perhaps a more important consideration than wrist action for shot consistency is having a consistent starting point. With the goal of addressing that, I've begun to try to always bring my racket to my middle and touch the edge of it with the fingers of my left hand.  It's a form of "reset".  I also try to keep the racket at or near this central location as long as I can. I find this encourages me to first move my feet to get to the ball rather than my hands.  This seems to be helping with my struggles to improve my footwork.  So APW46's comments/observations seem pretty spot on from where I sit. 

BTW, Butler does have a great backhand.  I love how he can adjust the stroke at the last moment so that he releases either a smash or a loop with seemingly the same initial stroke motion.

Edited by wturber - 11/18/2013 at 5:05pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2013 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

As I've experimented, I've begun think that perhaps a more important consideration than wrist action for shot consistency is having a consistent starting point. With the goal of addressing that, I've begun to try to always bring my racket to my middle and touch the edge of it with the fingers of my left hand.  It's a form of "reset".  I also try to keep the racket at or near this central location as long as I can. I find this encourages me to first move my feet to get to the ball rather than my hands.  This seems to be helping with my struggles to improve my footwork.  So APW46's comments/observations seem pretty spot on from where I sit. 

Ma Long did this for a while - I wonder if this was his motivation.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/18/2013 at 5:45pm
Cybershape Carbon
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2013 at 5:54pm
I think this also keeps the left arm bent at the elbow and not just hanging which I find helps me a lot.
Shifter
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2013 at 6:17pm
Going back to my post above, you need to always know where your hands are and where the ball is.   That trick Jay uses to have a constant starting point probably helps him to know where his hands are!  So it should help.   I try to make sure the hands are high so I don't lose track of them.  Proprioception of the hands is not always good enough when if you are off by a few millimeters it can mess up your shot.  A lot of people drop their hands in their ready position and it means they will mistime more on both sides.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic