Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tenergy Hard Sponge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenergy Hard Sponge
    Posted: 11/24/2013 at 10:28am
I already brought this topic up some time ago. I really don't understand why Butterfly doesn't produce a hard sponge version of Tenergy. I'm fully convinced that there would be a huge market for these rubbers.

I know many players that prefer harder/heavier T05, including myself. I don't like the additional weight, but I think that the harder T05 are significantly more stable as compared to the softer ones.

Of course I also know some players that prefer the softer versions, or use FX versions on the FH. I also know players that can beat me and use things that I find completely unplayable, like e.g. Tibhar Nimbus.

Anyways, now the main question:

If there was a hard sponge Version of T05, do you think you would use it, or at least give it a try?

Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 10:33am
I'm not sure, I am having a hard time imagining how they would play.  I suspect the market for the FX versions is not really that large, so the  harder version could capture as much. 
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I'm not sure, I am having a hard time imagining how they would play.  I suspect the market for the FX versions is not really that large, so the  harder version could capture as much. 

They would play like a hard Tenergy Wink

I think that a really hard/heavy T05 FX is harder than a really soft/light regular T05 (at least a heavy T05 FX is heavier than a light regular T05).
Some time ago, it was easier to get T05 that weight 100+ gr. in package (50+ gr. cut to a TBS).

I'm not suggesting extremely hard sponges. What I would like to see are Tenergy's that are harder than the regular version by about hlaf the difference between regular and FX, maybe a tiny bit more.

Edited by High_Arc - 11/24/2013 at 10:48am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 10:53am
Do you find that much difference from sheet to sheet?  I don't weigh my sheets but they seem fairly consistent to me.  It could just be, though, that I get used to whatever differences there are very quickly and also just figure the differences are due to new vs. old?  How often do you change sheets?

I guess what I meant to say was I can't quite feel that harder would be better, but I would try it to see, for sure.  Most of the time that's what you have to do.  (It's why threads where people ask how rubber x would pair up with rubber y strike me as strange, as there is only one way to really know for sure).

One reason I switched back from MX-P to T05 was because I preferred rubber just a touch softer.  But the topsheets of those two are not identical either, so like I said, I would certainly try it.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 10:56am
I always like to think I have good ideas when 2 years after I think of something original that I would like to have and does not exist, it comes to market.

Since I represent a vast majority of people (not rich but not poor either, not super educated but not illiterate either, not super smart but not stupid either...average kind of guy), I arrived at the simple conclusion that at the time I thought of it, somebody was already working on it after having identified the demand for it; 2 years to bring something to market after acknowledging people's need is about right.

I believe butterfly has already identified the need for a Tenergy hard sponge and will bring it to market very soon; if we look at the success of MX-P, Rhyzm and other high performance hard sponged rubbers, I see no reason why Butterfly would stay immobile about itl that's just not their style is it?

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 10:57am
It does occur to me that Tenergy is not quite the same as it was four years ago.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 10:59am
SpinArt.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 11:01am
also the way butterfly brought to market the bryce speed is revealing their timing; Tenergy 05 Speed is -I believe- right around the corner.

aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 11:08am
+1. Spinart.
That is what I play. I like Tenergy but also like something harder.
Spinart is kind of slower though.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Do you find that much difference from sheet to sheet?  I don't weigh my sheets but they seem fairly consistent to me.  It could just be, though, that I get used to whatever differences there are very quickly and also just figure the differences are due to new vs. old?  How often do you change sheets?

I guess what I meant to say was I can't quite feel that harder would be better, but I would try it to see, for sure.  Most of the time that's what you have to do.  (It's why threads where people ask how rubber x would pair up with rubber y strike me as strange, as there is only one way to really know for sure).

One reason I switched back from MX-P to T05 was because I preferred rubber just a touch softer.  But the topsheets of those two are not identical either, so like I said, I would certainly try it.

I think that if you exchange one Tenergy with another one, the difference is in average smaller than when you exchange e.g. one Viscaria with another one. And Viscarias (or Butterfly ALC blades in general) are fairly consistent in my opinion.

Anyways, I think that there can be large differences in terms of throw/ gripping characteristics in the open game, or whenever one swings really hard.
Softer versions just tend to have a lower throw in these cases, and I personally put many balls net-out or net only with softer versions (this is why I could never imagine having T05 FX on the FH).
This is also why in general I prefer Tenergys after about 2 weeks or so. The sponge (or overall rubber) seems to be a bit harder/denser.

But as usual, my words should be taken with a grain of salt, because I always tend to blame mistakes on the equipment when I change rubbers/blades...

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 11:23am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

also the way butterfly brought to market the bryce speed is revealing their timing; Tenergy 05 Speed is -I believe- right around the corner.

I really hope so!

In particular in combination with the Rossi Emotion, I so much prefer harder rubbers on the FH.

Similarly to what you've said in another post:
If an average guy like me (and many more or less average people I know) are looking for harder T05 since 2 years or so, Butterfly must have had this idea as well.

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 12:04pm
probably it would suck because tenergy has very little topsheet grip.
so always, including for opening loops and any kind of loop you end up using the sponge.
if the sponge was harder the ball would not sink enough and the resulting shot would not be good.

if you want something that feels harder you could switch to a harder blade.
that's why alc blades are such a great combination with tenergy.

they had bryce hard in the past but bryce was made to be used with speed glue which softens it.

Edited by puppy412 - 11/24/2013 at 12:09pm
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 12:20pm
A harder sponge would probably result in more speed but less spin like T25.  Do you really want that?  I am sure there are many rubbers that are faster and less spinny but cost much less.  i know that T25 has the same sponge as T05 and the difference is the top sheet but I bet harder sponges have been considered or even tried.

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

A harder sponge would probably result in more speed but less spin like T25.  Do you really want that?  I am sure there are many rubbers that are faster and less spinny but cost much less.  i know that T25 has the same sponge as T05 and the difference is the top sheet but I bet harder sponges have been considered or even tried.

I'm not talking about spin or speed, but consistent (linear) characteristics.

However, I can generate more spin with a harder T05 as compared to a softer one. Perhaps not in average, and certainly not more "easy spin", but if I want spin, a harder Tenergy can deliver more.

Here I also disagree with puppy412. I personally think that the topsheet of T05 is about the best ever.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

I'm not talking about spin or speed, but consistent (linear) characteristics.

However, I can generate more spin with a harder T05 as compared to a softer one. Perhaps not in average, and certainly not more "easy spin", but if I want spin, a harder Tenergy can deliver more.

Here I also disagree with puppy412. I personally think that the topsheet of T05 is about the best ever.

For the linear aspect, wouldn't a hard blade work just as well ?
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

For the linear aspect, wouldn't a hard blade work just as well ?

Not really in my opinion. For sure I don't want anything harder than ALC or ZLC (I use the Rosskopf Emotion as of now).

I have to admit that I didn't have the inconsistency problems with Tenergy 3-4 years ago, so maybe there was a change in the Tenergy production similarly to the changes that they made to their ALC blades (which are all about 5 gr lighter in average these days).

Anyways, when I asked some "high" rated players at today's tournament, all of them seemed to be very familiar with the issue. Many of them are using Evolution MX-P on their FH by the way, mainly because it is easier to get it a bit harder, with similar overall characteristics.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 3:09pm

I remeber Bryce was 35°, Bryce FX was 32° and Bryce Hard was 38° on BTY scale.

It would be nice if BTY come with a 38-39° Tenergy as well.

Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 4:07pm
Tenergy hard would only fill a need for a small percentage of players world wide. It would add weight and there would probably be a change needed in the Spring Sponge technology. I say those players seeking a harder sponge should look at Thors or Rasant or even Bryce Hard. Just my 2 cents.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 4:53pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I only glued for a short time.

The thing about rubbers like bryce hard or sriver kawatsuki is that they were good for the heavy gluers like Timo Boll who was a glue junkie. Tenergy is supposed to be a glue effect type of rubber, so it's not going to be super hard because it replicates what a rubber was like after gluing it down a bit. Bryce Hard wasn't still super hard after you put 4 layers of glue on that bad boy. 

However, I won't be surprised if a Tenergy EL or a Tenergy Hard comes out soon. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 6:27pm
Even without glue, hard sponge rubbers were popular with people who hit the ball hard enough to destroy softer sponge stuff.  For example, Sean O'Neil used to play with Sriver Kawatsuki partly because regular Sriver would bubble on him sometimes in a manner of minutes.

I recall when glue was legals I used to be able to bubble a Sriver FX after an horu of looping practice and Sean hits the ball quite a bit harder than I do.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 7:00pm
Spin Art Speed.. designed for rich and hard hitting players.. $99 per sheet, damn will Ovtcharov be using this.. :D
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Even without glue, hard sponge rubbers were popular with people who hit the ball hard enough to destroy softer sponge stuff.  For example, Sean O'Neil used to play with Sriver Kawatsuki partly because regular Sriver would bubble on him sometimes in a manner of minutes.

I recall when glue was legals I used to be able to bubble a Sriver FX after an horu of looping practice and Sean hits the ball quite a bit harder than I do.

ILya

Dang. LOL
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I always like to think I have good ideas when 2 years after I think of something original that I would like to have and does not exist, it comes to market.

Since I represent a vast majority of people (not rich but not poor either, not super educated but not illiterate either, not super smart but not stupid either...average kind of guy), I arrived at the simple conclusion that at the time I thought of it, somebody was already working on it after having identified the demand for it; 2 years to bring something to market after acknowledging people's need is about right.

I believe butterfly has already identified the need for a Tenergy hard sponge and will bring it to market very soon; if we look at the success of MX-P, Rhyzm and other high performance hard sponged rubbers, I see no reason why Butterfly would stay immobile about itl that's just not their style is it?

I think spin art fills that place in the market. Its hardness is 50+
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 7:52pm
I've thought about this same thing before. I like T05 because it has the hardest feeling of the Tenergy line. And sometimes I think it might be even better if it was a few notches harder. (Except in cold weather any Tenergy sometimes becomes unplayable.)

Likely if they started making the pores any smaller (denser rubber) it would lose its Spring Sponge characteristics. So to keep the Spring Sponge effect but make a harder rubber they would need to make a new rubber formula. Which would be interesting. Tenergy is all about the topsheet anyway. The sponge is good, of course, but I think "Spring Sponge" is all smoke and mirrors. Many companies have emulated the porous sponge idea, but no one has come close to copying that totally unique, super-grippy, albeit crumbly Tenergy topsheet. The real secret behind Tenergy's performance. Cool

And with the Spring Sponge they can probably only control the manufacturing tolerances to a certain point where regular and FX is the best they can divide it up. Maybe EL would be too hard to regulate. Some EL would just be like regular Tenergy, others on the upper end of FX.

Fun to speculate, anyway.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

I've thought about this same thing before. I like T05 because it has the hardest feeling of the Tenergy line. And sometimes I think it might be even better if it was a few notches harder. (Except in cold weather any Tenergy sometimes becomes unplayable.)

Likely if they started making the pores any smaller (denser rubber) it would lose its Spring Sponge characteristics. So to keep the Spring Sponge effect but make a harder rubber they would need to make a new rubber formula. Which would be interesting. Tenergy is all about the topsheet anyway. The sponge is good, of course, but I think "Spring Sponge" is all smoke and mirrors. Many companies have emulated the porous sponge idea, but no one has come close to copying that totally unique, super-grippy, albeit crumbly Tenergy topsheet. The real secret behind Tenergy's performance. Cool

And with the Spring Sponge they can probably only control the manufacturing tolerances to a certain point where regular and FX is the best they can divide it up. Maybe EL would be too hard to regulate. Some EL would just be like regular Tenergy, others on the upper end of FX.

Fun to speculate, anyway.

I already feel like FX doesn't have the tenergy magic like the regular sponge does. I used to use regular 05 1.9 on my BH, and then swiched to 05 FX 2.1 because I got it a bit cheaper. It just didn't amaze me like the first time I put regular 05 on my backhand. While I still enjoyed 05fx thoroughly on my backhand for a good while, I now am back to a regular sponge and the magic feeling is back. I think the regular tenergy sponge is just awesome. I can see a similar thing happening if a harder sponge is put out. I can certainly be wrong of course, but it is indeed fun to speculate. 
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 8:30pm
where's nextlevel to say "this is a technique issue" ?

if you're finding tenergy too soft, you're likely hitting too much and not really looping. the reason why you don't want a harder sponge is for counterlooping, where hard rubbers can't catch the ball well bc you have to dig in more. even close-range, you have to swing fast. at high pace and high spin, it's hard to do that. many pros boost tenergy, not just for extra speed, but to soften it up so it's easier to spin. and CNT with 39/40 deg H3 Neo - that's pre-boost.

you could try T25, which is on the harder side in the tenergy series. (koki niwa)

Edited by kurokami - 11/24/2013 at 9:14pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 9:59pm
why not spinart sponge with t05 topsheet then? unplayable?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

I've thought about this same thing before. I like T05 because it has the hardest feeling of the Tenergy line.

T25 feels considerably harder because of huge pips on topsheet.  I think a lot of people who find T05 to be a bit out of control would like it.  If somebody took away my T05, I would switch to T25, not T64.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 10:10pm
T05 Speed version?....damn some of you guys just want a laser! Timo seems to do just fine with regular T05. I like the FX stuff but it really depends on the blade. FX is picky. FX does have the magic, it just takes time to find the right blade. Regular T05 seems to go with a wider range of blades.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2013 at 10:10pm
It would play exactly like spin art, if you don't like spinart well then your imagination of what T05 in a hard version would be like is wrong :). Enjoy the spin art, its a good rubber for the few that hit hard enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic