Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you think of this set-up for me?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bcbryan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you think of this set-up for me?
    Posted: 12/10/2013 at 12:12pm
First of all, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I'm new here as you can see haha. Anyway, a little bit about me. I'm a college freshman, and I play for my club team. My coach has me somewhere around 1000-1100 USATT rating, so I'm not great but I've only been playing seriously for about 4-5 months now. 

I'm thinking about buying a new set-up that's faster, spinnier, with less tackiness so I can develop my loops and my strokes in general. I've been using Cream Transcend rubbers for months now and they're starting to lose their grip and honestly I feel kind of underwhelmed by them now, but as far as I know, it could be because my strokes suck and not because the rubbers aren't enough haha. I don't want anything too crazy because I know it's a mistake for developing players to buy really fast equipment that they can't handle. Since you guys know your equipment much better than I do, I want to pose this question. I'm on a tight budget, and I thought about this set-up for a nice, cheap paddle that has good speed and control:

Blade: Huaruite Clipper
Rubbers: Mars II 

Do you guys think this is too fast for me? Also, all of the stores that have Mars II and aren't sold out only seem to sell it at a sponge thickness of 2.2 or 2.3, which seems really fast. Eacheng, the website I normally get my equipment from, only sells it "factory tuned" and honestly I have no idea what that means. 

Edited by bcbryan - 12/10/2013 at 12:14pm
Sponsored Links

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 12:19pm
I recommend something about 2mm sponge, possibly a controllable soft tensor like Xiom Omega IV Elite or Euro. Maybe you could use Sriver or Mark V as well.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
bcbryan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 12:29pm
Thanks for the reply. I've actually looked into all of those choices, and unfortunately they're too expensive for me. I'm your stereotypical broke college student haha, and I can't justify to myself spending over $100 on a new paddle right now.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 12:32pm
I recommend colestt.com cole will answer emails and phone calls as well. He will have something for you that will be close and better than what you are using now, without the big gap in features from which you could suffer if you buy something radically different. He specializes in inexpensive material that performs well so you'll be happy with his recommendation after you communicate with him. Give him the link to this thread if you choose to email him.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 12:37pm
Get any mid range setup from Cole and do get coaching.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
bcbryan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 12:56pm
I actually heard about Cole from browsing forums and from my actual coach. I e-mailed him a few days ago with a similar message to the one I posted here, and he basically said get something with more sponge and less tack to improve my looping. He didn't provide any specific recommendations though, and he said he has never used Mars II before but has some coming in a few weeks. 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 1:20pm
isn't mars pretty tacky, and I got it in 2.15 or whatever it comes in. 

I told him like matrix with UL 40 and scirrocco both 1.8
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 1:23pm
get the Palio CJ8000 on cannon sponge.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 2:27pm
awww...i don't want to do any more gluing than I have to over christmas rush

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 2:29pm
plus, my glue jobs aren't as stable as the factory, so I don't like to sell that rubber to people who don't know how to care/repair really well

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 2:34pm
matrix with iqul is a sure win
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
bcbryan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 7:18pm
So what's the story in the Dawei Matrix? I can't find any info on the properties of it. All I can find is that it makes a weird hollow sound when you hit with it.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by bcbryan bcbryan wrote:

So what's the story in the Dawei Matrix? I can't find any info on the properties of it. All I can find is that it makes a weird hollow sound when you hit with it.

7 ply, limba outer ply... nice blade but a little fast, as Cole points out. I've sampled several of them

w-6 would be a little nicer, but also an extra $16

R2 is also excellent

Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 9:19pm
Don't worry, bcbryan, you will get there... Smile just wait how this thread develops, you will be surprised...

Can you specify for us how much you can really spend on the blade and on the rubbers? Also, do you glue the rubber to the blade yourself or you want the job done by the seller?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
bcbryan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 9:28pm
Thanks JacekGM. I guess I don't really have a budget but if it's too much in my opinion I won't do it. I'm really starting to like the combination of Inspirit UL on Matrix or perhaps a similar blade like R2. I've never glued my own paddle though I've watched videos on it. I would much rather order everything from the same website and have it assembled for me to cut costs so I don't have to buy an exacto knife and glue.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 9:59pm
There are lots and lots of options...
For a very reasonably priced blade with ambition an Yinhe blade will be very good, in the $15-35 range they have quite a few choices. My preferred is T-7...
For inexpensive rubbers it is IMHO even more of a personal preference, tons of choices, just Google them. I did play with Cream Transcend and found it to be a high control but very heavy rubber. 
A couple of years ago I liked the LKT Rapid Soft/Pro rubbers... livelier, light weight and good control, and just enough power.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Goodah_Chunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodah_Chunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 10:30pm
bcbryan,

the hrt clipper is a little too stiff for looping, for your level.  look at the yinhe mc-2 and save yourself a couple more bucks...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic