Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The Quest for Lighter Rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Rahul_TT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahul_TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Quest for Lighter Rubbers
    Posted: 02/12/2014 at 12:17am
I moved from regular red 2.1 Tenergy 05. I honestly don't think LT sound is THAT soft. In fact the top sheet is harder in LT sound than 05. 

I am not a mad looper on the BH after opening and I am loving LT sound. It feels harder in the short game which is key. It does feel softer BUT more direct in the longer game. I dont know how this can be but it is. It is also seriously faster any day but while my counterlooping on BH is non existent, my blocks and drives are good so it's now a keeper.

pushing.. well, 05 is way better in pushing.. but if you are pushing long in a rally consistently, you might as well buy spinart or P1R :D

Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Rahul_TT Rahul_TT wrote:

I was on the same quest. I have found my holy grail for lighter BH rubber in Calibra LT Sound. 11 Freaking Grams lighter than the 05 it replaced. Amen
did it replace 05 regular or 05fx? if you are used to 05 regular, going to lt sound is a freaking leap toward softness isn't it?
Rahul_TT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahul_TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 8:03pm
I was on the same quest. I have found my holy grail for lighter BH rubber in Calibra LT Sound. 11 Freaking Grams lighter than the 05 it replaced. Amen
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 7:38am
Xiom Vega Europe on the BH is excellent: soft, punchy, wonderful for blocking. I imagine it's not so good if you have a strong BH loop game (which I don't). I'm using T05 on FH, on a Waldner Senso Carbon JO-shape. Feels perfect, and weighs 166g.
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
regiz.rugenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 3:34am
Originally posted by regiz.rugenz regiz.rugenz wrote:

Since all Tenergies are on the heavy sides, it's no doubt you really have to switch. I too have problems with my wrist. What I would probably suggest close to T05 is a Rasant Turbo (I have Rasant on BH, a tod faster and spinier that T80.. but this one is more suitable for BH due to it's compact attributes).. Rasant Turbo on the other hand has hardness of 47.5 while Rasant has 45.. I would guess it's better on mid distance loop than Rasant, but equally efficient on close to table attacks and blocks.

Though I must admit these Rasants are far different from Tenergies. Rasants has more speed, spin and a bit lighter, while Tenergies has more controls but heavier. Rasant is softer and springier, Tenergies are harder but more controllable .....

..... So to make things short, Tenergy gets me calibrated, and Rasant gets me powered up. I still love playing with Tenergy though more than with the Rasant.. But in a competitive match, it's the Rasant that delivers my shots with relentless power.

I also modified the shape of my blade's head to evenly redistribute it's center of gravity and made it even lighter, resembling Jun Mizutani's blade but with a punch.. :)

I thought I lost my paddle last week but a friend didn't noticed he took it and left it on his car.

I just played tonight with a coach only to find both my tenergy and rasant has lost it's grip. I guess he left it in the car under the sun too long.

Oh well, I guess I'm now up for a new set of lighter rubbers.

Edited by regiz.rugenz - 02/11/2014 at 4:02am
Regiz°ᆗ
Rosewood_Carbon/Huricane_King   °FH:Vega_Japan/T64FX   °BH:OmegaV_Euro/Rasant
°°°°
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2014 at 12:38pm
Grip tape adds abot 4g in my case and i like the fact it balances the added weight from wbg and heavier tensors.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2014 at 11:37am
Rosskopf emotion + Grip Tape...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2014 at 11:02am
Originally posted by tabten5 tabten5 wrote:

Ordered a sheet of Xiom Vega Europe for BH - will see how it goes. By all reports, it's very light.

Also, a dabble with a Waldner Senso Carbon weighing 80g recently confirmed it's not overall weight that matters much to me, but simply head-heaviness. It's that which puts pressure on your wrist. Funnily enough, the WSC was worse for my wrist even though the total setup was 12g less than my Viscaria, because of the WSC's overly hollow handle.

You could also experiment with a grip tape if you haven't already.  I use one because my hands are big, and also frequently quite sweaty, so I was not able to relax my grip on a bare wood handle.  I found as a side benefit that the balance is much improved.   I'm sure my paddle is relatively heavy overall, Latika is supposed to be 88 gr, plus two T05, edge tape and the grip tape, but it feels good, and I have old wrist problems too.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2014 at 12:58am

Ordered a sheet of Xiom Vega Europe for BH - will see how it goes. By all reports, it's very light.

Also, a dabble with a Waldner Senso Carbon weighing 80g recently confirmed it's not overall weight that matters much to me, but simply head-heaviness. It's that which puts pressure on your wrist. Funnily enough, the WSC was worse for my wrist even though the total setup was 12g less than my Viscaria, because of the WSC's overly hollow handle.
try the Rosskopf Emotion then. The balance is really good. May even let you go back to Tenergy.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/18/2014 at 12:59am
Cybershape Carbon
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 9:02pm

ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 4:18pm
SF is still 45 degrees. Weight is usually more than 45gr
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 11:59am
assiduous was mentioning in another thread that Tenzone, Tenzone Ultra and Tenzone SF are less than $41 if we purchase 10 of them (25% reduction).

I bet the SF (softer sponge than the regular) in 2.0mm is also close to 42 grams but I'd love confirmation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 11:59am

Thanks regiz.rugenz. Do you have an idea how much lighter Rasant / Rasant Turbo is than T05?

Having played a couple of league matches with T05 (Max) on my FH and T64 (1.9) on my BH, I've come to the same sad conclusion: I have to give up Tenergy. I'm doing serious damage to my wrist. But this may be a futile search: I don't think there's a modern offensive rubber for with my FH or BH that will weigh under 40g cut to a 157 x 150 blade. So an extensive trial of a plethora of rubbers may result in 3 or 4 grams less, and I'm not sure that will make much, if any, difference to the pressure placed on my wrist.

Perhaps I need to switch to pips on one side, and become a modern defender!

not a whole lot with Rasant Turbo for it has a harder sponge than Rasant. if you are ok with softer sponge you might wanna consider the PowerSponge ver. but I would suggest a fast blade with it.
Regiz°ᆗ
°°°°
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 3:51am
Tenergy 64 FX in 2,1 cut to Viscaria gives you a weight between 40 and 42gr, pretty light. But this rubber is quite soft. 
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 8:07pm
Depends on what you care about. Nittaku Narucross GS and Xiom Omega IV Euro/Elite are pretty light.
Cybershape Carbon
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

There are good lighter rubbers as well.

Thanks. Any specific suggestions?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 7:33pm
That is probably the best route and R7S is a good choice. Some softer rubbers on a Viscaria may get you to the best place. There are good lighter rubbers as well.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/16/2014 at 7:34pm
Cybershape Carbon
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Try a softer or thinner tenergy. Softer rubbers maybe your best bet.

I already use Rakza 7 Soft on my BH. Recently switched to T64 1.9, which cuts to 43g on a Viscaria (i.e. the same weight as R7S 2.0). I'm considering switching to R7S on both sides.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 7:12pm
Try a softer or thinner tenergy. Softer rubbers maybe your best bet. The sponge loss will cost you but beats going to low quality rubbers with less spin.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/16/2014 at 7:15pm
Cybershape Carbon
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 7:08pm
Thanks regiz.rugenz. Do you have an idea how much lighter Rasant / Rasant Turbo is than T05?

Having played a couple of league matches with T05 (Max) on my FH and T64 (1.9) on my BH, I've come to the same sad conclusion: I have to give up Tenergy. I'm doing serious damage to my wrist. But this may be a futile search: I don't think there's a modern offensive rubber for with my FH or BH that will weigh under 40g cut to a 157 x 150 blade. So an extensive trial of a plethora of rubbers may result in 3 or 4 grams less, and I'm not sure that will make much, if any, difference to the pressure placed on my wrist.

Perhaps I need to switch to pips on one side, and become a modern defender!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 4:27pm
though I haven't used T05, I currently have T80 on forehand.. since they are relatively comparative, I would base my suggestion from them.

Since all Tenergies are on the heavy sides, it's no doubt you really have to switch. I too have problems with my wrist. What I would probably suggest close to T05 is a Rasant Turbo (I have Rasant on BH, a tod faster and spinier that T80.. but this one is more suitable for BH due to it's compact attributes).. Rasant Turbo on the other hand has hardness of 47.5 while Rasant has 45.. I would guess it's better on mid distance loop than Rasant, but equally efficient on close to table attacks and blocks.

Though I must admit these Rasants are far different from Tenergies. Rasants has more speed and spin but lighter, while Tenergies has more controls but heavier. Rasant is softer and springier, Tenergies are harder but more controllable.

Since I warm up real slow and really suck with fast rubbers if I'm not warmth up, I tend to start my drills with Tenergy as it is more forgiving. Then I later easily switch to Rasant before play. I switched to Rasant for aside from being lighter, I get more gears with it than Tenergy. The Tenergy still kinda act as my calibration tool, and it helps get rid of my whacky shots as I switch to Rasant before play.

So to make things short, I'm a Tenergy to Rasant.. Tenergy gets me calibrated, and Rasant gets me powered up. I still love playing with Tenergy though more than with the Rasant.. But in a competitive match, it's the Rasant that delivers my shots with relentless power.

Well, I hope this doesn't sound confusing. I just thought it's worth sharing for it helped me switched to a much lighter rubber. I also modified the shape of my blade's head to evenly redistribute it's center of gravity and made it even lighter, resembling Jun Mizutani's blade but with a punch.. :)

Edit: 01/16/2014
here's how I adjusted my Viscaria Light.. red outline is MJ's head shape, green line is my cut line, halfway between Viscaria LT and MJ..  http://www.flickr.com/photos/regz32i/11991437075/lightbox/

BLADE: Viscaria Light, ST
FH: T80/Rasant Turbo, 2.1
BH: Rasant 2.1

Edited by regiz.rugenz - 01/17/2014 at 11:42am
Regiz°ᆗ
°°°°
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2014 at 12:47pm

Some great suggestions. As to Calibra, I'm personally not a fan, owing to the exact characteristics ttping85 mentions. If you have used Tenergy 05 for some time, and like the high throw and high spin, Calibra Tour H/M will not do it for you: it's low throw, pingy, and nowhere near as spinny.

The switch to Viscaria has yielded a benefit: it's 4g lighter than the Maze, and the handle is definitely more comfortable in my hands. In fact, the handle makes it feel as though the head is lighter, because it fills my hand so nicely.

I had been using T05 for about 9 months till i tried Calibra LT and honestly i like it better in many ways including it's lighter weight however the experience on a composite blade may be different. 
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2014 at 4:17am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

would that mean the tour h is less sensitive to spin than the other mentioned and it is better for smashing?

yep! it's amazing for counter looping as well!!!
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 5:56pm
Some great suggestions. As to Calibra, I'm personally not a fan, owing to the exact characteristics ttping85 mentions. If you have used Tenergy 05 for some time, and like the high throw and high spin, Calibra Tour H/M will not do it for you: it's low throw, pingy, and nowhere near as spinny.

The switch to Viscaria has yielded a benefit: it's 4g lighter than the Maze, and the handle is definitely more comfortable in my hands. In fact, the handle makes it feel as though the head is lighter, because it fills my hand so nicely.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by ttping85 ttping85 wrote:

Calibra Tour H is a 47degrees rubber so not so soft even if it is amonfst the soft 47degree rubbers. Cut to Mizutani mine is about 42gr.

H is a bit too hard for me nowadays but Calibra Tour M is definitely something I would like to try... on the cheap, that is Wink
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 4:45pm
would that mean the tour h is less sensitive to spin than the other mentioned and it is better for smashing?
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Calibra Tour H is a 47degrees rubber so not so soft even if it is amonfst the soft 47degree rubbers. Cut to Mizutani mine is about 42gr.

Interesting: can you provide your opinion of that rubber?

very fast and powerful but not as grippy as Tenergy, Evolution, Rhyzm or Bluefire. Throw angle is quite low.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 2:13pm

Interesting: can you provide your opinion of that rubber?
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 12:54pm
Rahul_TT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahul_TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 11:03am
I have the same issue as OP - double sided T05 is damn heavy.

I am leaning towards Tibhar Genius which seems like a lighter choice. Is this rubber close to T05 in any way? I dont mind it being slow but I would like it spinny

Also, people mentioned Genius sound. How is genius sound different from genius?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic