Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Speed Glue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed Glue
    Posted: 01/10/2014 at 3:43pm
Would this make sped glue?
Rubber cement 70%
Baby oil 30%
I'm Nate
BLADE: YEO Cpen
BH: Xiom Omega IV Asia/Pogo pips out
FH: DHS Hurricane 2 neo

Blade: Nittaku Ruforal Jpen
FH: Nittaku Renanos Soft
RPB: focus 3 snipe<
Sponsored Links

neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 4:08pm
If you be apply the rubber cement first, let it dry completely, then apply a think layer of baby oil on top and let it sink in for a day, it will dome up a it  and that's basically how booster works. Most people use paraffin oil, though. That would be what I would recommend.
The speed glue part comes from VOCs, which rubber cement does have a low amount of. If you are mixing the two together, it wouldn't do much. By the time the baby oil absorbs completely, all of the VOC from the heptane in the rubber cement would have evaporated. I'm not even sure how well the rubber cement would dry if you mixed the two together. You might just end up with a mess.

USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 4:33pm
in my days of illegal player I would put one layer of lem-oil, let it dry (around 1 minute) then immediately one layer of haifu whale speed glue.
let dry, adhere.

this was ridiculously fast with h3, like 100 times what any real booster gives you.

also the more times you do it, the more it reacts and the softer and better the h3 becomes.

there's no better fh combination than this.

Edited by puppy412 - 01/10/2014 at 4:37pm
n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 4:49pm
lem-oil?
I'm Nate

n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by neutronbomb neutronbomb wrote:

If you be apply the rubber cement first, let it dry completely, then apply a think layer of baby oil on top and let it sink in for a day, it will dome up a it  and that's basically how booster works. Most people use paraffin oil, though. That would be what I would recommend.
The speed glue part comes from VOCs, which rubber cement does have a low amount of. If you are mixing the two together, it wouldn't do much. By the time the baby oil absorbs completely, all of the VOC from the heptane in the rubber cement would have evaporated. I'm not even sure how well the rubber cement would dry if you mixed the two together. You might just end up with a mess.

I did mix them and it didn't make that much up a mess. I did it trice with 3 different set-ups. The first one I mixed them than put 3 layers of glue on the rubber and let them dry 50% then set them to the blade. The second one I did what you told me to and it said exactly what you said it would do. The third one I di d the same thing as the first but let it dry completely then put a layer on the blade and mounted the rubber to  the blade. It worked but not as well as the first one.
I'm Nate

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by n8stee n8stee wrote:

lem-oil?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/kyser-dr.-stringfellow-lem-oil

the magic potion
LOL
n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

lem-oil?

the magic potion
LOL
Anything else like it? Because I can't find it in any local music store ... or any store for that matter
I'm Nate

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 5:30pm

lem-oil?

the magic potion
LOL
Anything else like it? Because I can't find it in any local music store ... or any store for that matter

don't know, this is the one I used.
I don't live in US but ordered from ebay.
it's really cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyser-Lemon-Oil-Guitar-Fretboard-Polish-Cleaner-Preservative-/191019240212?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c79a24b14
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 6:40pm
Lem-oil is liquid used for cleaning and conditioning guitar fretboards. It is not to be confused with high grade lemon oil. I should know since I am also an advanced guitarist. If you want speed glue any good bike shop should carry Vulcofux glue used in tire repair. Full of voc's and perhaps not available anymore I'm not sure. That stuff was the ultimate speed glue back in the day.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Lem-oil is liquid used for cleaning and conditioning guitar fretboards. It is not to be confused with high grade lemon oil. I should know since I am also an advanced guitarist. If you want speed glue any good bike shop should carry Vulcofux glue used in tire repair. Full of voc's and perhaps not available anymore I'm not sure. That stuff was the ultimate speed glue back in the day.

LOLLOL I had some i'm tempted now. Lemon smelling table tennis rubber.

Edited by n8stee - 01/10/2014 at 7:19pm
I'm Nate

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:30pm
When we ran out of speed glue back in the day, we would use something like this stuff, which we found at Pepboys and some Walmarts:  rubber vulcanizing cement, ususally used to repair bicycle tires and such.  It was a very powerful speed glue.  If you are completely unconcerned with legality and just want to see what it was like, this is the stuff.  Only one coat needed on blade an rubber.  Wait for rubber to dome (which will be very quick).  If you really want to experience speed glue, don't improvise with rubber cement.  Go for the real thing, and this is it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tire-Repair-Vulcanization-Solution-Glue-Cement-32oz-1-Qt-for-Patching-Plugging-/230972171563

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rema-Tire-Repair-Glue-Cold-Vulcanizing-Fluid-8-oz-203-Made-in-U-S-A-/151189488261

This is some nasty smelling stuff, so use it in a well-ventilated area.

Put it on your rubber and then party like it's 1999.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:33pm
Alternative two for OP.  Use lighter fluid mixed with rubber cement (not baby oil).  Maybe about 50-50 mixture.  Use as above.  Also pretty good.  Back in the day, people would also use lighter fluid to remove built up speed glue from rubbers.

Remember, these speed glues have to be re-used each time you play.  The effect only lasts a few hours, with some small residual effect for the next day or so.
n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Alternative two for OP.  Use lighter fluid mixed with rubber cement (not baby oil).  Maybe about 50-50 mixture.  Use as above.  Also pretty good.  Back in the day, people would also use lighter fluid to remove built up speed glue from rubbers.

Remember, these speed glues have to be re-used each time you play.  The effect only lasts a few hours, with some small residual effect for the next day or so.

Yah I had haifu whale 2 but used it all up so just trying out different things.

Edited by n8stee - 01/10/2014 at 7:37pm
I'm Nate

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:39pm
actually I read about this lem-oil here, but it was some years ago.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:41pm
Vulcanizing cement gives best effect.  It is like early day speed glue.  People forget, but ITTF banned speed glues in two stages.  First they banned glues with certain solvents, in the 90s a some point.  Probably not a bad idea to get rid of halogenated hydrocarbon solvents.  Then in 2008 they banned anything with an organic solvent at all (they claimed for health reasons, but it was not really the problem with the stuff people were using by then, although they stank).  In between, companies discovered all sorts of speed glues with quite safe solvents.  Many were patented.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:42pm
Lemon oil and eucalyptus oil were discussed here a lot around 2008, and also on OOAK forum.  These are really boosters, not speed glues.  Speed glue gives a much stronger effect.  I am not sure at all what speed glue would due to a modern rubber not designed for it.  My guess is that the speed glue would still work, but after it's effect wore off, the rubber would have lost whatever was built into it at the factory and would play dead.

BUT, if you want to use Sriver, or plain Mark V, or better yet, Bryce or Bryce FX, then you will be good to go.

The term FX was introduced by Btfly for describe sponges that were affected by speed glue more than others.  FX = Eff-ects, get it?  Nice play on words.  Those came out late, maybe 2006 or so?  Now an FX version of a rubber just means softer. 
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:45pm

Lemon oil and eucalyptus oil were discussed here a lot around 2008, and also on OOAK forum.  These are really boosters, not speed glues.  Speed glue gives a much stronger effect.

together effect gets multiplied.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:49pm
Off the top of my head I doubt it but I can't say that I ever tried it myself.  Speed glue works by causing expansiion of the sponge that is greater than expansion of the top-sheet, so it puts some extra tension on the top sheet.  This is what causes it to dome (like the bimetalic strip on an old thermostat that changes shape with temperature).  There is no obvious reason why lemon oil plus one of these older glues would have greater effect.  But I could be wrong about that.  Anyway, the effect of those vulcanizing rubber glues is so strong, you won't need more, trust me!

People used to experiment a lot with these things back when it was legal.  Rubbers were cheaper too, so if you messed up it wasn't quite such a disaster.  I never saw anything better than vulcanizing glue.  But you could mix some lemon oil in and find out.
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:52pm

Off the top of my head I doubt it but I can't say that I ever tried it myself.  Speed glue works by causing expansiion of the sponge that is greater than expansion of the top-sheet, so it puts some extra tension on the top sheet.  This is what causes it to dome (like the bimetalic strip on an old thermostat that changes shape with temperature).  There is no obvious reason why lemon oil plus one of these older glues would have greater effect.  But I could be wrong about that.  Anyway, the effect of those vulcanizing rubbers is so strong, you won't need more, trust me!

well I'm saying that I tried it and it works that way, you doubt me without having ever tried it....
Clap
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:55pm
Well, cool then.  Having said that, I used Haifu Whale back in the day, and it was weak speed glue by pre 2008 standards.  The vulcanizing glue, and also something from Tibhar called rapid clear or rapid clean or something like that were much much stronger.  Could be that the lemon just brings Haifu to that level or maybe you are correct that it is something super duper. None of us used oils with glue back in the day.  
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:56pm

Off the top of my head I doubt it but I can't say that I ever tried it myself.  Speed glue works by causing expansiion of the sponge that is greater than expansion of the top-sheet, so it puts some extra tension on the top sheet.  This is what causes it to dome (like the bimetalic strip on an old thermostat that changes shape with temperature).  There is no obvious reason why lemon oil plus one of these older glues would have greater effect.  But I could be wrong about that.  Anyway, the effect of those vulcanizing rubbers is so strong, you won't need more, trust me!

well I'm saying that I tried it and it works that way, you doubt me without having ever tried it....
Clap

I have used vulcanizing cement.
lasts maybe the rest of the day, not more.
lem-oil + haifu whale lasted 3 weeks when I used it (I did for many months).
the h3 stretches so much that once in a while you need to cut a chunk off.

Edited by puppy412 - 01/10/2014 at 7:58pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:58pm
Now there you are on to something.  That IS interesting. Yes, vulcanizing cement only lasts a few hours.  So if you found a way to extend the effect, that is an improvement.  The super stretching effect where you had to periodically trim your rubber down so it would still fit on the blade, I remember that well LOL
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 8:03pm
I use the Haifu Whale 2 speed glue on my H3 sponges. I apply several applications and let it sit a few days before glueing to blade using a WBG. It seems to make the H3 as fast as a ESN rubber and I don't have to re-apply the speed glue,just the initial. But I would not use speed glue on a ESN or Tenergy rubber.
Shifter
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2014 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

I use the Haifu Whale 2 speed glue on my H3 sponges. I apply several applications and let it sit a few days before glueing to blade using a WBG. It seems to make the H3 as fast as a ESN rubber and I don't have to re-apply the speed glue,just the initial. But I would not use speed glue on a ESN or Tenergy rubber.

the trick of lem-oil + haifu whale
was that I would apply, let it dry in less than 1 minute and stick to blade as fast as possible.
this way the stuff in the glue and the oil had nowhere to go but to the sponge and the topsheet LOL
no contact with air = no evaporation.
this is what made it super powerful.

Edited by puppy412 - 01/10/2014 at 8:07pm
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 2:51am
@puppy412
? One layer of lem-oil + WBG ? Thanks.
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 11:03am
Originally posted by viktorovich viktorovich wrote:

@puppy412
? One layer of lem-oil + WBG ? Thanks.

if you do it with water based glue probably won't do much.
it's not haifu seamoon Big smile
I think the combination with haifu whale speed glue is what gave the power.

the oil is a spray so I would spray sponge 4 or 5 times, then spread the liquid all over the sponge and then let it dry.
then apply haifu whale glue 1 layer and let it dry.
the second the glue dried I stuck it with blade.

Edited by puppy412 - 01/11/2014 at 11:04am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 11:27am

That would explain why it lasts.  Too bad you didn't figure this out 15 years ago, could have made money with the idea.
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 11:28am

That would explain why it lasts.  Too bad you didn't figure this out 15 years ago, could have made money with the idea.

some people would put the rubber against glass to force stuff to go to the sponge.
I didn't invent anything.Smile

Edited by puppy412 - 01/11/2014 at 11:30am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 6:09pm
Me, I just glued every time I played.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2014 at 7:19pm
I'm happy speed gluing days are over! What a mess and hassle that was plus all the bad stuff that got into your skin and fumes going into your lungs.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic