Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Looking for tips to play with my son

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jay6447 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay6447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for tips to play with my son
    Posted: 02/05/2014 at 11:38am
My son is 10 years old and is being coached. I am a decent player but never went through professional coaching as a kid. He "looks" quite good when doing drills - forehand, topspin and backhand but if I play a game with him - he just can't play.

Q. Should I just do drills and get him to be consistent first and not bother with actual games? I am just looking for tips on how I should structure my 1 hour play time with him.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 11:56am
Originally posted by jay6447 jay6447 wrote:

My son is 10 years old and is being coached. I am a decent player but never went through professional coaching as a kid. He "looks" quite good when doing drills - forehand, topspin and backhand but if I play a game with him - he just can't play.

Q. Should I just do drills and get him to be consistent first and not bother with actual games? I am just looking for tips on how I should structure my 1 hour play time with him.

Thanks.

I would have thought Our member JKC would be best placed to advise you.
From my coaches standpoint I dont think a kid needs parent to be another coach, but a patient uncritical rally partner can help a lot.
see link below
JKC and Fred

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 02/05/2014 at 11:57am
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 12:16pm

He "looks" quite good when doing drills - forehand, topspin and backhand but if I play a game with him - he just can't play.

Need more info. What is it about his game that doesn't work when you play him? 

Do you mean playing a match? Or just hitting around. Maybe he's nervous.

All I can say is just keep it fun for him. He's only 10. I always reference this but when I was younger, my brother wanted me to be this really good tennis player. It kinda felt like work sometimes. When I got to high school, I think I was just either burned out or disappointed in not reaching the goals that were there for me... Long story short, I quit tennis for several years.

Keep it fun.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 12:51pm
You are not the only one who has this problem.  I saw lots of parents when they play with kids, they try to give 'easy' ball, but in effect they give floating ball, with no power, or spin.  Kids used to play with a certain tempo, and they do borrow power, and spin from the coming ball, so floating ball is not easy for them to handle at all.  Give the ball some gas, adjust the power, once you find the right range, you can watch them destroy you Smile.  Good luck.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

You are not the only one who has this problem.  I saw lots of parents when they play with kids, they try to give 'easy' ball, but in effect they give floating ball, with no power, or spin.  Kids used to play with a certain tempo, and they do borrow power, and spin from the coming ball, so floating ball is not easy for them to handle at all.  Give the ball some gas, adjust the power, once you find the right range, you can watch them destroy you Smile.  Good luck.

+1

There is some truth to this. When I was a kid, I could hit with my brother. I was use to the power & spin from my brother. Then when I would play other young kids (this is tennis I'm talking), adjusting to the much slower, less spiny balls was a problem.

In table tennis a funny term I heard once was calling being a spin leach. You're use the spin from your partners to help your loops. Then you play a less spiny player and your shot feels off.

It's important to know how to play against both styles. (ie - learn to generate spin vs floaty balls)

Edited by suds79 - 02/05/2014 at 1:29pm
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 2:56pm
Beside taking lessons from the coach, your son needs to play against players around his level (slightly above and slightly below) to gain actual experience dealing with different playing styles.

Taking lessons help and you play with him helps, but they are no substitute for gaining experience by playing real-life matches against players around his level.

Edited by skip3119 - 02/05/2014 at 4:21pm
skip3119
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 6:38pm
try to play situational games with your kid because drilling is different from practicing setting up of attacks or transition from blocking to attacking. he just needs more match plays i guess but it would greatly help him if you can teach him pre-programmed 3 rd ball attacking and then maybe have him attacked by 3rd ball randomly placed balls
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

Thanks.

I would have thought Our member JKC would be best placed to advise you.
From my coaches standpoint I dont think a kid needs parent to be another coach, but a patient uncritical rally partner can help a lot.
see link below
JKC and Fred

+1 on all counts.

When coaching your kid, love gets in the way; something has to give up: love or coaching...this will end up badly; the bond may suffer.

best is to just hit with the kid, staying a little bit ahead to pull him/her up and sometimes talk about the game without having an ascendant on the kid about ideas exchanged.

jay6447 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay6447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2014 at 12:58am
Thanks for the replies.

Earlier, I was playing at 70% of actual game but then he would still lose miserably and lose confidence. I think, he can not handle the randomness of an actual game as yet - plus my spins and speeds are higher than players of his age.

Here is what I am doing now: no games. mainly playing drills - so far, forehand drives and topspin, backhand drive and push. However, I don't coach him on style but improvise my returns to fit his game.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2014 at 11:52am
You can make a game out of some of the drills, like say a game to 11 where he serves, you push, he attacks, and point goes on. OR... maybe where you trade serves, you always push light until he attacks, then play out point. Lots of ways to make a drill a game. I did one once where all we could use were BH shots, underspin only.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
jay6447 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay6447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2014 at 10:19pm
Yes - that makes sense. Will make it fun.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2014 at 6:01pm
also ask the coach for some ideas, so not at conflick but helping you son
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2014 at 11:30pm
imo your kid will get alot better if you simply just beat him bad well maybe not bad but just keep beating him up( table tennis). kids are competitive they will try to beat you!!! try to control how he play, you can work on his loop by pushing to his FH or you can work on his footwork by blocking to where you want him to move, best thing is to work on his serve return increase your spin gradually as he start to return it better.

important thing is to not give him easy ball he wont improve that way because his opponent wont give him easy ball.

other than that just work on his placement on rally cross court, down the line etc

my coach use to train me by saying try to get 3 points from me i barely got one.-__- couple weeks later i got a set off him but then he went into beast mode then im back to where i started
butterfly Timo Boll spirit

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 2:30am
From a kid's perspective, make sure you never let him win. I've been told that parents cherish those moments, because they won't last forever. Just ask my dad…hasn't beaten me in over a year.
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 3:46am
Teach him how to serve and get him to practice serve and third ball attacks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic