FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The search for ITTF approved poly balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 1:33am
do you only play with your friends in your basement??? you're clueless man.

LOL, you need to do a better job at insulting someone Theologian as I have a  nice basement set up with a regulation table and robot that I use daily.   Just a reminder theologian that you may consider yourself a big fish in a small pond by your concern about ITTF international racket covering tournament rules but for most of the TT universe of players it doesn't matter.  

Regarding the hot issue that many members here are upset about, the ITTF international Racket Covering Rules for Tournaments, its pretty clear they are not that interested in getting down to the local level unless someone who is running the tournament wants to go overboard and try to police racket coverings for REC players.  

Also regarding whether I attend tournaments the answer is NO.  I spend my money on weekly coaching,club fees and camps and happen to live in the San Francisco Bay area were there is an abundance of TT clubs that have weekly RR and I find most of them challenging so no need to push the envelope.

Have a nice week
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 3:09am
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

We have a sport dominated by rec players that continue's to  over emphasize the role ITTF has over there game yet they never play beyond a local tournament or RR event or backyard and hoot and holler as if they are major international players upset with the governing ITTF. If so many players are upset with the ITTF they can go their separate way and have non ITTF tournaments, speed glue and play to 21 or 50!  

This is actually pretty offensive and deserves a response.  Nearly everyone here who posts is a non-professional player and is by definition therefore doing it for recreation, but not everybody goes about it the same way. 

A substantial number of MyTT forum members living in the US will compete in a sanctioned tournament several times a year.  They pay the entry fees, they may buy a plane ticket or at least take a long drive, maybe spend a night or two in a hotel room, investing substantially in rubber, blade, plus several hours per week training, plus whatever they pay to belong to their club.  (See for example various threads on "who is going to the US Open this year").  Almost nobody in the US makes a living from playing the sport (including in my city four former US Men's team players), but they are also not  people whacking a ball around in a basement or who occasionally go enter a club round robin.  They are serious about the sport.  This is the grass roots that keeps the sport alive at higher levels.  These are  USATT members whose kids play, who keep the clubs you can play in alive in various ways, and who pay dues to our national organizations.  Those dues, including sanctioning fees, comprise pretty much the entirety of the USATT operating budget these days. 

Players like this are not unique to US (although here players tend to have to travel farther); our counterparts in other places play in official league matches, which while not professional level, are regulated as if they were, as well as all sorts of other formal competitions. 

What the ITTF does affects us because our national organizations (such as USATT) almost always follow their lead on almost everything, especially balls.  Lineup, it may not matter to you but only because as you say yourself, you don't have much invested in it (and consequently were blissfully unaware of the rules that come into play in sanctioned events).  You compare table tennis to golf.  Fine, go play golf, although even there if you actually play some sort of real competition, there will be rules.  Or you can go back to your basement where maybe you still have a few cracked 38 mm balls and play some pingpong.  Enjoy.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

"All racket surfaces needed to be USATT approved to be used in USATT tournaments."

So, whoever plays with DHS equipment is illegal.
Surgeon View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 4:05am
DHS is okay to use.  "Only USATT and/or ITTF Approved Equipment maybe used at all USATT sanctioned tournaments."

Regarding the frictionless ban, pressure didn't come from national associations, plural. It was one (influential) national association that pushed the ban through via the ITTF Board of Directors. The national associations never voted on it.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 7:40am
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

LOL, you need to do a better job at insulting someone Theologian as I have a  nice basement set up with a regulation table and robot that I use daily.

OH SNAP, a regulation table??? Clap Now that's impressive.

Is this a video of you with your robot and regulation table?

Edited by the_theologian - 02/10/2014 at 7:42am
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Why can't they be up front and say that they believe that the game is too fast and that they want to slow it down, here's the options. Simple.

But are we sure this is the true reason behind the changes?

Let us ask: when should we expect any change to happen? The scenario is the following:

1) On the one hand, there is a constant pressure made by manufacturers upon ITTF to make any change at all, and as frequently as possible, in order to sell more material;

2) on the other hand, any change that happens without a plausible excuse involving health would be too unpopular.

In such a scenario, when should we expect a change to happen? Only when there is an excuse involving health, which is plausible (not necessarily true).

That's what I would expect, given the forces at work. And this theory explains rather accurately what happened (with the exception of the increase to the ball size).

pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 10:36am
theologian:I built my table and its difficult due to sourcing High Density Fiber Board that can be used due to most HDF comes in 8 ft widths so yes I am happy that its meets standard regulation size, has a proper bounce and saved me money.  The paint is another story....

@Baal: If you think that some part of the post was offensive I do apologize.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 5:41pm
No problem man.  Keep playing TT, we all love the sport.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

"All racket surfaces needed to be USATT approved to be used in USATT tournaments."

It is amazing they don't have it on their list!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Why can't they be up front and say that they believe that the game is too fast and that they want to slow it down, here's the options. Simple.

But are we sure this is the true reason behind the changes?

Let us ask: when should we expect any change to happen? The scenario is the following:

1) On the one hand, there is a constant pressure made by manufacturers upon ITTF to make any change at all, and as frequently as possible, in order to sell more material;

2) on the other hand, any change that happens without a plausible excuse involving health would be too unpopular.

In such a scenario, when should we expect a change to happen? Only when there is an excuse involving health, which is plausible (not necessarily true).

That's what I would expect, given the forces at work. And this theory explains rather accurately what happened (with the exception of the increase to the ball size).

Follow the money.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 9:46pm
ummm HaggisV hows the ball search goingPinch lol
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 10:47pm

Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

It is amazing they don't have it on their list!

that list is just a sales pitch for certain retailers. read the heading at the top:

Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 7:40am

There are two new aprovals on ITTF list.

DHS 40+*** (plastic with seam)

Double Fish 40+*** (plastic with seam)

http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=balls

Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 9:22am
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

There are two new aprovals on ITTF list.

DHS 40+*** (plastic with seam)

Double Fish 40+*** (plastic with seam)

http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=balls

Welcome to last week. Wink
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 9:29am
Guys, yesterday I played with a Tibhar plastic ball. ITTF was clearly written on the ball. How can this be? Does this mean it is ITTF approved?

more info: the ball was with seam. The "+" sign was present on the ball, but not close to the 40. I mean, you did not read "40+", but you see 40 in one place and + in another place.

The ball had three stars on it. it was visually slightly bigger, but you had to look very hard to notice. and it was clearly plastic, because it played with less spin and was harder, as they describe it.

Very good control. Very easy to play and very enjoable. counterloop was incredibly easy. I will write a full review when I have time. But how come I've never heard it was approved?

Edited by seguso - 02/11/2014 at 9:30am
Vardant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vardant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 9:40am
You think they will wait for the actual approval before they start making them? They have guidelines, so they know if their balls meet the requirements to be ITTF approved.

AFAIK Tibhar and DHS are the only factories making poly balls right now, so they don't have time to mess around.

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 10:09am

Guys, yesterday I played with a Tibhar plastic ball. ITTF was clearly written on the ball. How can this be? Does this mean it is ITTF approved?

more info: the ball was with seam. The "+" sign was present on the ball, but not close to the 40. I mean, you did not read "40+", but you see 40 in one place and + in another place.

The ball had three stars on it ........

http://www.ittf.com/ittf_equipment/Balls_details.asp?ID=7241&Colour=&Company=&ID=&Stamp_colour=&

Here is the JPS+ marking to confuse you. It is not plastic, as yet.

Do take my hint for your special benefit:
--No Europian suppliers will take the risk of distributing PBs unless the Dr. Kuhn's patent issue is resolved once and for all..

Till then, you only can obtain PB from China's market directly. Try for Taobao first.

Good luck.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 10:27am
Than k you Igor. Very helpful.

What I don't understand: if it was celluloid, why did it play so different, exactly as they describe the plastic ball? Less spin, harder. I assure you. You had to loop with a paddle face more open and your loop had less spin.

I also dropped it on the floor side by side with the normal ball, and it bounced higher, and it kept bouncing while the other was still.
tt-panopticum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt-panopticum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 10:37am

The ball had three stars on it. it was visually slightly bigger, but you had to look very hard to notice. and it was clearly plastic, because it played with less spin and was harder, as they describe it.

Very good control. Very easy to play and very enjoable. counterloop was incredibly easy. I will write a full review when I have time. But how come I've never heard it was approved?

LoL  (sorry), that's the japanese production three star ball from Tibhar, called JPS +

So much about perception and "obvious" differences..........
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 11:25am

What I don't understand: if it was celluloid, why did it play so different, exactly as they describe the plastic ball? Less spin, harder. I assure you. You had to loop with a paddle face more open and your loop had less spin.

I also dropped it on the floor side by side with the normal ball, and it bounced higher, and it kept bouncing while the other was still.

Two possibilities come to mind.

1.  It was larger and that is the main thing that accounts for difference regardless of whether it is plastic or celluloid.

or

2.  You were expecting it to play a certain way and so perceived that it did.  This is not meant as a knock on you, as it is a very common thing in people--- so much so that in certain kinds of experiments in our lab we have to do them "blind" to avoid biasing the outcome.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 11:38am
There is still a fair variation in different celluloid balls. I've been using some Neottec 3* recently, and they feel harder and heavier than any 3* I've used before. Little bit more bouncy.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 11:51am
I am still in shock :)

I don't know what is real anymore...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 11:54am

I am still in shock :)

I don't know what is real anymore...

LOL. Maybe the ITTF will announce that they secretly changed the balls to plastic 5 years ago, but didn't tell anyone?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 12:17pm
Anyway, the best thing is that you liked them. 
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 1:06pm

Two possibilities come to mind.

1.  It was larger and that is the main thing that accounts for difference regardless of whether it is plastic or celluloid.

or

2.  You were expecting it to play a certain way and so perceived that it did.  This is not meant as a knock on you, as it is a very common thing in people--- so much so that in certain kinds of experiments in our lab we have to do them "blind" to avoid biasing the outcome.

I am still recovering from the shock, I'm not even sure I actually tried a ball at all yesterday...

But seriously, I think this ball is a lot harder, and this causes it to have many of the properties of the plastic ball. Bounces higher; bounces longer; spins less; has lower throw.

(I think the size is not larger after all. That may have been self-deception.)

lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 1:29pm
Celluloids are a class of compounds created from nitrocellulose and camphor, with added dyes and other agents. Generally considered the first thermoplastic, it was first created as Parkesine in 1866[1] and as Xylonite in 1869, before being registered as Celluloid in 1870. Celluloid is easily molded and shaped, and it was first widely used as an ivoryreplacement. Celluloid is highly flammable and also easily decomposes, and is no longer widely used. Its most common uses today are in table tennis balls and guitar picks.[2]
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2014 at 1:35pm
@ Seguso

From your personal impression, it looks like JPS has been using some complex material in the ball making.   Perhaps some polymeric additives mixed with crude celluloza to improve the ball wearing resilience. ("+" would indicate presence of some additives),

If so, the JPS hardness and springiness should be better as well.
The ball gives a true feeling of what the PB oncoming should play like.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2014 at 6:14am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2014 at 6:29am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Hmmm...looky looky...

http://ttnpp.com/store/home/695-xushaofa-new-seamless-poly-ball-.html

but no ITTF-approved sign on the ball?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2014 at 6:33am
Yup. And no "40+" either.

It's like the wild west out there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic