FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Expert in a Year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2014 at 1:47am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Originally posted by Ping Coach Ping Coach wrote:

I think if we shipped Sam off to the WSA for 12 months and had him train full-time he would almost certainly come back a top 250 player (or very close).

You better ship him to China.

I am still wondering, what would be your deconstruction points? And more importantly, the nodal points of noematic synthesis and levels of transcendental-technological constitution?

Yeah...what Imago said! 
What did you say?Confused

He is a PhD, he should know how to answer these questions. Any modern deconstruction. i.e., phenomenological reduction has its reflexive-intellectual (Wesenschau) and reverse-constitutional (ontological) counterparts.

As for the cognitive scientists, with all their naturalistic assumptions, the question boils down to how to transform the 10,000 hrs rule into 20 hrs rule...

Sponsored Links

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2014 at 3:45pm

Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

2nd Return 

Actually, one thing you're not thinking of is that to learn to return serve well, you need to learn the rest of the game anyway - for example, you need to be able to move and loop well from both sides. After all, serves can come long. And if you can return serves well, that's part of the foundation to being able to rally well anyway...

Sandiway
This is a good point, however, can you develop a loop that is good enough to trouble the top 1% in the country within a year? I would doubt it - so need a different type of return than trying to loop it.

One also have to learn to play against the different playing styles and different rubber surfaces. That's going to take more than a year.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2014 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

seriously, it hurts me to say it, but it takes very little to be 2000 USATT. Just look at some 2000 players at a big tournament. Most of them look pathetic. Occasionally there is some junior with good coaching who just happens to be passing through the 2000 mile on his way up and will have proper technique and some kind of footwork. But there are so many people who just put the ball back on the table and just outlast lower rated players. If I can't get to 2000 in a few years i better quit this sport. 

Haha. I can see where he is coming from, but really, not so many players make 2000 level, so it really isn't as easy as that.

I concur that at USATT 2000 level, we can see players of many different styles and they all have some major holes in their game for sure. In vids or even up close in person, some of these players appear to have no major attacking capabilities that would threaten a weak fly. A point won is a point won as long as it was lawfully won, it all counts as one point... and they add up.

I now firmly believe that the more I improved, the more and MORE I discovered how terrible I was at something. I mean terrible lousey in a dimension I never saw before. Improving in level and having to use strokes, tactics and shots that I didn't before really opened my eyes a lot, but I keep discovering so much more to improve upon just to move up a half level.

I really wish making 2000 legit level was as easy as playing a game of keep-it-on-the-table at all costs.

I ran into such a junior in David C in two tourneys and we see that in USA, a hopeful indicator of our pipeline and increasing interest in TT, albeit still very small.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2014 at 10:53pm
David Cui? I think hes 10 years old and 2100!
Although, realize he has been playing for more than 3 years
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2014 at 11:14pm

seriously, it hurts me to say it, but it takes very little to be 2000 USATT. Just look at some 2000 players at a big tournament. Most of them look pathetic. Occasionally there is some junior with good coaching who just happens to be passing through the 2000 mile on his way up and will have proper technique and some kind of footwork. But there are so many people who just put the ball back on the table and just outlast lower rated players. If I can't get to 2000 in a few years i better quit this sport. 

Of the current USATT membership of 6,230, excluding players over 2400. there are only 650 players rated over 2000.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Ratings/Ratings-Stats-by-TTSPIN
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2014 at 11:54pm
Some people will never learn to stop beating themselves. 
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 1:23am
For a keen player with access to regular practice, a willingness to focus on technique and drills, and no physical/age impairments; reaching 2000 is really not that difficult. With pinskills clips you can even get by without coaching. 

Most people don't improve because they don't want to do drills but rather only play games. I have heard that some even spend more time thinking about equipment than they do practicing but I find that very hard to believe. 

Edited by DDreamer - 02/21/2014 at 1:24am
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 2:18am
Believe it. These people are the community sponsors. Where else can you buy a new ZJK ZLC for $200? Or unopened Ludeack Fleet half the price?
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 10:58am
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

For a keen player with access to regular practice, a willingness to focus on technique and drills, and no physical/age impairments; reaching 2000 is really not that difficult. With pinskills clips you can even get by without coaching. 

Most people don't improve because they don't want to do drills but rather only play games. I have heard that some even spend more time thinking about equipment than they do practicing but I find that very hard to believe. 
Quite a few people I know - if they can't hit a particular shot - instead of getting coaching or doing some drills - will go and change equipment to fix the shot! I used to argue with them - but now I say - hey talk to this guy - I believe he has that blade/rubber etc. 
I guess we all have to our own way to the mountain top!

Edited by jrscatman - 02/21/2014 at 10:58am
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 11:05am
real coaching is not easy to find. I can teach some kid FH and BH loop but when I look at elite player matches i still don't understand the strategy. Here in IL there are only a couple of good coaches, and this is CHicago. What about Ohio? 
So when I say you can reach 2000 easy, i have to add that you need proper environment. In my club there is an abundance of over 2000 players and even some 2300 that will occasionally hit with me. If you live in a state where the clubs that you frequent don't have a single 2000 player, then no, i don't think you can get to 2000.. even if you are smart and pick up very quickly, its hard to learn by yourself. Even if nobody is teaching you, you need quality opponents so you learn to play those kind of rallies.

My biggest rating jump happened when good players started accepting matches with me. There is no substitute for that. You learn to operate in different environment, no time for comfortable swing, well placed blocks from opponent get you wrong footed all the time.. i see how I did some adjustments completely subconsciously. But now when I go back to play my old foes.. my god its so easy.. you have so much time for every shot, every return comes back in the middle of the table.. its just hard to get to 2000 if this is the quality of opposition you get every time..

Edited by assiduous - 02/21/2014 at 11:16am
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 11:19am
My biggest rating jump happened when I started playing tournaments. There is a world outside your club.

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 11:35am
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

My biggest rating jump happened when I started playing tournaments. There is a world outside your club.
+1...Some people can't look or see BEYOND their clubs. Strangely, your beloved cousin's rating never changes.....
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 12:01pm
i do play tournaments but unless you are in chicago or east or west coast there is not much competition there either. So unless you are willing to travel... I personally like TT a lot but its not important for me to travel out of state for that. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 8:03pm

My biggest rating jump happened when good players started accepting matches with me. There is no substitute for that. 
I think you will find that you will make vastly bigger jumps if you can get those players to train with you rather than play matches.  

Edited by DDreamer - 02/21/2014 at 8:31pm
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 12:03am
My biggest ratings jump happened when I got somewhere to do lessons, play matches and tourneys, and drink beerz/talk shyt after playing TT with my frineds...
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 1:22am
This is precipitation, not jumping.
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2014 at 4:25am
Bh-Man,
I love your practice!   We can hang n practice together.
Cheers. Beer  
(I need to practice my loop faster. Better give me bigger mug. Tongue)

Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

My biggest ratings jump happened when I got somewhere to do lessons, play matches and tourneys, and drink beerz/talk shyt after playing TT with my frineds...

Edited by aroonkl - 03/02/2014 at 4:27am
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2014 at 7:43am
Drinking booze will make you think your rating impored dramatically :)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2014 at 12:08pm
Usually the beerz would be AFTER the lesson and matches and after the club closed, but I am not below bringing a few beerz to the club and throwing one or two down in the back hallway smokers room between matches.

A beer or two actually helps some players not worry about mistakes and allows them to play a little less stress free and natural.

We prolly already discussed the daylights outta this over the years.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2014 at 1:50pm

Does anyone know why the post and video links for April 2014 can't be accessed ?

LINK
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2014 at 2:17pm
Because there are no links yet - only placeholder text.
JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2014 at 2:38pm
This is a very interesting journey. I'm predicting Sam to end up around 1800 by year's end. 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
chunyenliu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunyenliu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2014 at 9:03pm

This is a sport that requires lots of training hours to perfect some basic shots.  2400 in one year.  If that were doable, then lots of world-class players would have been easily mass-produced after that.  Even RG III's family thought he would be able to make the Olympic team by playing table tennis.   This sport is still perceived by many as an easy sport to be good at.  :-)  
My free Android app: "Table Tennis Time" at Google
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by JonathanVN JonathanVN wrote:

This is a very interesting journey. I'm predicting Sam to end up around 1800 by year's end. 

+1

I just watched a match with Ben playing left handed in week 14. Sam is not following through on his 4H shots. He lost 0-3.
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 3:01pm
To make this challenge remotely possible, you need someone with a Child's ability to learn and an adult's strength. NVM, it's impossible
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 3:48pm

Perhaps 1800 against inverted players,  prob <1400 against pips/anti/hardbat opponents. Confused

JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Perhaps 1800 against inverted players,  prob <1400 against pips/anti/hardbat opponents. Confused

Good point. I feel like he will be able to hold his own against some decent inverted players by the end of the year (not now of course), but against lp's he would get destroyed. I think that in a year you can teach the basics and some more advanced material like Sam is doing, but what you can't teach that quickly is how to adapt and adjust your tactics to a certain style of play. Thus, if a person plays a specific kind of way, Sam may even be able to play at a level close to 2000 if he's lucky. However, the moment his opponent switches anything up, I don't think he will have enough experience to handle it. At this rate, 2300/2400 is basically a joke. 

Nevertheless, Sam is making great progress and should be proud of himself no matter what happens. 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 5:29pm

==========================

No kidding, he is not going to reach that level by year's end.
--------------------------------------

Searched on Rating's Central:

Ben Larcombe:  No info what-so-ever on RC.
Eli Baraty (guest coach):  RC rating is 2182.

(The fact that Ben got Eli Baraty to guest-coaching Sam, means Ben regard Eli's table tennis skill highly.)
----------------------------------------

Googled "Ben Larcombe, Table Tennis", couldn't find any video where he played in a real tournament.

Edited by skip3119 - 05/09/2014 at 5:32pm
skip3119
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 5:52pm
Eli Baraty is ranked ~50 and Ben Larcombe ~190 among UK senior men. Please show some respect before making statements about their skill and abilities.
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 5:52pm
Ben Larcombe is rated 1965 under the English rating system.  His ranking is 187 out of 617 Senior Men.  No idea how that translates to the USATT rating system.

Edited by GMan4911 - 05/09/2014 at 5:56pm
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic