FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

the greatest dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the greatest dilemma
    Posted: 02/21/2014 at 6:13pm
I noticed something that I don't know how to solve.

I have been using super fast bouncy amultart for some time.
gave me great results, only problem was in serving and pushing.

now I switched to off- blade and pushing is a dream but any other shot (basically blocking and looping) is worse than amultart.

should I sacrifice short game and go amultart or sacrifice regular distance play and go off- for serve and receive?

Edited by puppy412 - 02/21/2014 at 6:14pm
Sponsored Links

n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 6:48pm
Well how bout you get a blade that is off- on one side and off+ on the other
I'm Nate
BLADE: YEO Cpen
BH: Xiom Omega IV Asia/Pogo pips out
FH: DHS Hurricane 2 neo

Blade: Nittaku Ruforal Jpen
FH: Nittaku Renanos Soft
RPB: focus 3 snipe<
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 6:52pm
just swing faster. 
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by n8stee n8stee wrote:

Well how bout you get a blade that is off- on one side and off+ on the other

it's a matter of distance not side.
after short game pushes the amultart is better on both sides.
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

just swing faster. 

good advice.
problem is I noticed that when playing a real match against an adversary that pushes me most times I have no time to prepare the next shot with a good powerful swing.
so I end up doing a very small loop or directly just putting the paddle there and doing a flat shot.

probable advice number 2:
so become better so you are faster and you have more time to prepare a better swing.

good advice but this will take me years and I don't even train too much as to improve so probably this will never happen.

Edited by puppy412 - 02/21/2014 at 6:58pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

just swing faster. 

good advice.
problem is I noticed that when playing a real match against an adversary that pushes me most times I have no time to prepare the next shot with a good powerful swing.
so I end up doing a very small loop or directly just putting the paddle there and doing a flat shot.

so become better so you are faster and you have more time to prepare a better swing.

good advice but this will take me years and I don't even train too much as to improve so probably this will never happen.

Sounds like you need to hone your loop timing and your game. If he is giving you a push ball and you don't have time to take a big swing ? something is wrong with your game. No one is going to let you loop thru out the game, must learn to anticipate balls with different placements.

geswin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geswin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 7:11pm
suggestion 1
Train harder

Suggestion 2
Try faster rubber

Suggestion 3
Try linear off paddle that was good at short and faster on the top speed or try off- paddle that have great catapult

Hopefully it help or brings other dillema.

Once EJ never will retired in EJ
Fan of ELCON/conic handle
V'King 05/ Sigma 2 euro/ hexer+
Virtuoso+ Hexer HD/ SE II euro
Accoustic Vega japan / P3
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 7:22pm

just swing faster. 

good advice.

Sounds like you need to hone your loop timing and your game. If he is giving you a push ball and you don't have time to take a big swing ? something is wrong with your game. No one is going to let you loop thru out the game, must learn to anticipate balls with different placements.

yes of course opening loop is same as pushing (best with off-)
I'm talking about after that opening loop.
further blocks and loops and counter loops where time for preparing is minimal.
you are just playing on instincts.
we all have those matches...

Edited by puppy412 - 02/21/2014 at 7:36pm
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 7:59pm
This thread should not be in the equipment section as it has nothing to do with equipment (except for using too fast a blade which affects your pushing). You simply need to do a lot of drilling with a particular focus on footwork and recovery. What sort of drills are you currently doing? How long per week are you doing them? 
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

This thread should not be in the equipment section as it has nothing to do with equipment (except for using too fast a blade which affects your pushing). You simply need to do a lot of drilling with a particular focus on footwork and recovery. What sort of drills are you currently doing? How long per week are you doing them? 

I don't do drills these days, just play some matches.
so once more, more training is not a viable solution for this dilemma.

amultart is the perfect blade if you leave out serve and push.
off- is the perfect blade if you only consider serve and push.

which one do I choose?

also due to the current situation of my country I am not allowed to buy any other ping pong good.
so it's one of the two, no more possibilities.

Edited by puppy412 - 02/21/2014 at 8:21pm
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 8:30pm

which one do I choose?

also due to the current situation of my country I am not allowed to buy any other ping pong good.
If you don't do drills there is no viable solution to your problem. You could perhaps focus on footwork and recovery when playing matches but progress then would be very slow. Different equipment will not fix a footwork/recovery issue and it is bizarre to think it will. If you have trouble with serve and push with an Amulet then use a slower blade. If you can't hit powerfully with an OFF- blade then you need to work on your technique.  
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 8:32pm
This was a big waste of time.

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 8:32pm

which one do I choose?

Whichever your choice, if training is not an option, you're willing to live with the weakness? Then go with the one that causes you to lose the fewest points.

Edited by GMan4911 - 02/21/2014 at 8:35pm
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 8:36pm

which one do I choose?

If you don't do drills there is no viable solution to your problem. You could perhaps focus on footwork and recovery when playing matches but progress then would be very slow. Different equipment will not fix a footwork/recovery issue and it is bizarre to think it will. If you have trouble with serve and push with an Amulet then use a slower blade. If you can't hit powerfully with an OFF- blade then you need to work on your technique.  

so basically your personal answer to the dilemma is off-
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

which one do I choose?

Whichever your choice, if training is not an option, you're willing to live with the weakness? Then go with the one that causes you to lose the fewest points.

yes, this is simple.
I train little time and have only two blades.
one is great for serve/push.
the other is great for everything else.
which one do I choose?

so in the end you could narrow it down to what is more important, serve/push or everything else?
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 8:41pm

It seems the only logical answer. There are no negatives to using an OFF-. It will be perfectly fine for 'regular distance play'. 

As an aside, you appear to like TT and spend a bit of time on the forum, why don't you want to do drills and improve? Wouldn't you like to be able to play at a higher level and have greater control over your game?
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 8:55pm

It seems the only logical answer. There are no negatives to using an OFF-. It will be perfectly fine for 'regular distance play'. 

As an aside, you appear to like TT and spend a bit of time on the forum, why don't you want to do drills and improve? Wouldn't you like to be able to play at a higher level and have greater control over your game?

I do some drills but in order to see a real difference you need to train a lot.
I've been playing for a long time and realized that I got to a place where if I want to get better I need to train 4 or 5 times a week 2 hours.
if I just play a couple of times lightly I won't really change my level.
so I just accepted that my level won't change.

when you start training you have all these ideas that you will indefinitely improve and you can reach this or that level.
when you've been playing for 5,6,7,8,9,10 years you realize that you reached your level, that things won't change anymore unless you make a drastic change which will take you to the next level.
this means doubling or tripling your training which I won't do.
I've seen many people play in the same level for ages.
even myself, when I got to my level I just stayed there forever, with or without drills, with or without off+

I think there is a basic division between levels, and if you want to jump from one division to the other you need to make some big change.
in US the first level would be up to around 2400, those are the guys who play a couple of times a week, do some drills, etc.
then from 2400 up it's another level, you need a different kind of training and approach to the game.

I'm in this till 2400 level and I know I won't be on the 2400 and up level, so that's why I sort of dismiss training.

Edited by puppy412 - 02/21/2014 at 9:11pm
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 9:29pm
practice a little short game stuff
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 9:45pm
This is the problem of players that use off+ blade when starting or developing. The power comes from the equipment. Therefore it's hard to use slower blade. My advice is use off- blade and practice a lot.

Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

This is the problem of players that use off+ blade when starting or developing. The power comes from the equipment. Therefore it's hard to use slower blade. My advice is use off- blade and practice a lot.

I'm not a beginner, been playing somewhere from 5 to 10 years.
that's why I say doing a couple of drills per week won't do it for me.

Edited by puppy412 - 02/21/2014 at 10:07pm
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 10:39pm

What you need is a coach who can analyze your weaknesses and help you eliminate them.  Or, record yourself playing and ask for advice on the forums.  Doing drills is just part of the equation.

If you know what your weaknesses are, then just do drills that focus on eliminating them.

Edited by GMan4911 - 02/21/2014 at 10:43pm
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 10:51pm

What you need is a coach who can analyze your weaknesses and help you eliminate them.  Or, record yourself playing and ask for advice on the forums.  Doing drills is just part of the equation.

If you know what your weaknesses are, then just do drills that focus on eliminating them.

ok I see 99% of members focus on the "do drills" thing.
let's say I agree I will do huge amount of drills.
I need to do these drills with a paddle.

so we go back to the original question which started the thread.

do I choose amultart which is great for everything but pushing and serving?
or do I choose off- which is great for serving and pushing but mediocre for everything else?

Edited by puppy412 - 02/21/2014 at 10:52pm
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 11:07pm
Pick the one which requires the least amount of drilling.  Tongue
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 11:14pm

Pick the one which requires the least amount of drilling.  Tongue

that would leave the choosing of the blade to myself, which I could have done without coming to the forum...

the reason why I came to the forum was to hear what random individuals like yourself think is best between these two choices and why.

Edited by puppy412 - 02/21/2014 at 11:16pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 11:26pm

So just because you've been playing 5 to 10 years, you're not a beginner ? Really ?

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 11:34pm

So just because you've been playing 5 to 10 years, you're not a beginner ? Really ?

I'm not a beginner because I did many drills in the past LOL
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 11:45pm
Playing with a fast blade has its benefits as you've rightly figured out, but the problem is, you hit fast - it comes back fast so you have to be quick to react. Plus, you can't make any mistake in reading the short game. You can pop the ball all to easy. You need to train (a lot) to overcome these issues. Service on the other hand is just a bit of practice, but can't be ignored either as it will cost you valuable points if you can't load spin or drifts long.

The off- blade again has its benefits (control etc) but don't forget, you're not supposed to use full power in most shots. A good solid bh will help you stand more towards the middle so you can't be blocked or looped off the table but even so, if you have that kind of consistency required to win the point with a slowish blade, you are already good for a faster one. It's a catch 22.

Only you can tell whereabouts you fit in this diagram. In an ideal world you would want to play with a pure off setup, but one with a decent control/speed ratio, which not all have. There is this constant myth perpetuating all across the amateur tt community, whereby one can compensate the lack of speed in your gear with good strokes, timing, practice etc etc. Folks, stop parroting back this nonsense and do your own homework for a change.

p.s. opening loop should be a simple matter of adjusting, but if you keep opening off the table with Amultart, looks like it's back to off- for you then. Learn to brush consistently first.

Edited by Lestat - 02/22/2014 at 12:28am
collins.latag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 11:51pm
I suggest that you make up your mind by not considering the pros and cons of your equipment and just start practicing. Sooner than later you would find yourself doing what you want to do. Blaming ones flaw on equipment is a never ending topic.
PPisLife

Blade:TBS Rubber: Donic
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 12:23am
Originally posted by collins.latag collins.latag wrote:

I suggest that you make up your mind by not considering the pros and cons of your equipment and just start practicing. Sooner than later you would find yourself doing what you want to do. Blaming ones flaw on equipment is a never ending topic.

ok I will follow your advice, I will start practicing.
just one small detail, which of the two blades do I use for my practice?

Edited by puppy412 - 02/22/2014 at 12:23am
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 12:30am
Stick with your amultart and always serve long.
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic