Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Enjoying Tournament play

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
robjkc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robjkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enjoying Tournament play
    Posted: 02/28/2014 at 11:44am
I don't particularly enjoy playing in tournaments, maybe it's nerves or the pressure of rating points. Matches always seem to go faster than I like and I'm already down 1-0 or 2-0 before I know it (I don't take the 6 point breaks, maybe I should). 

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated!  

Edited by robjkc - 02/28/2014 at 12:08pm
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 12:35pm
Take breaks if you are loosing or behind. If you're winning try to keep the momentum going to the end. 

Ideally, you want to develop, 1 speed - so winning or loosing - you try and keep that pace. It also throws the opponent off - as they don't know how you're feeling. 

You see that a lot in tennis - players have the same annoying routines throughout the match.

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 12:56pm
I've felt this way before. Sounds like the stress of a tournament, where wins & losses carry more weight, is taking away from the enjoyment.

I think this mindset is largely ego driven. "I don't want to drop in rating." "I should beat this guy." "I'd like to tell people about how well I did."

I think the trick is learning to let go and simply enjoy the ride. Truth of the matter is nobody cares about how you did as much as you do. Try to learn how to have fun during tournament play. Chances are you'll play better for it.

Edited by suds79 - 02/28/2014 at 12:57pm
robjkc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robjkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Take breaks if you are loosing or behind. If you're winning try to keep the momentum going to the end. 

Ideally, you want to develop, 1 speed - so winning or loosing - you try and keep that pace. It also throws the opponent off - as they don't know how you're feeling. 

You see that a lot in tennis - players have the same annoying routines throughout the match.

Great advice on developing the one speed!  I do tend to rush things when I'm loosing.  I grew watching a lot of tennis so I know what your talking about with the annoying routines.

robjkc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robjkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

I've felt this way before. Sounds like the stress of a tournament, where wins & losses carry more weight, is taking away from the enjoyment.

I think this mindset is largely ego driven. "I don't want to drop in rating." "I should beat this guy." "I'd like to tell people about how well I did."

I think the trick is learning to let go and simply enjoy the ride. Truth of the matter is nobody cares about how you did as much as you do. Try to learn how to have fun during tournament play. Chances are you'll play better for it.

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to hear.  I tend to have a bigger ego than I should.  I need to enjoy the competition and not worry about results. 

"I think the trick is learning to let go and simply enjoy the ride" - Great advice for life too!
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 4:53pm
There is no answer other than to keep playing tournaments, it just becomes normal to you after a while, then you will relax and beat the players who were like you started playing tournaments.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 5:36pm
I agree with the explanation that suds mentions.
I think you can get your ego out of the mix, if you start believing in the PROCESS. More tournaments means more opportunities to learn about your game and more opportunities to test your abilities in competitive settings under pressure. Both of these will have an improvement on your game. And really that's why you should be entering tournaments. If you believe in that process it will help you deal with dissapointments. Realize that the game just played or your current rating is not your utmost objective it's the future you and your future opponents should be your focus.

An example...I started playing three years ago and saw that I envisioned myself as a looper. Some of the guys I play with would be beat me and try to explain to me that if I was more selective and pushed more that I would win more. I would tell them beating them now is not my goal...my goal is to beat that guy (a higher rated player) 6 months, 1year or 2 years down the road. And to do that I need to develop certain shots and to do that I need to practice them every chance i got. If I lost and my rating went down...so be it...I'm not focused on my current rating or level...I just thinking of the future me and the vision I had for myself. To me it's all about the process!

Hope there something helpful in the long winded response.

Edited by Toprank - 02/28/2014 at 5:38pm
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:09pm

A match rating system is detrimental to the growth of TT in the USA.

A class rating system will inspire more participation in TT tournaments !

Read the "about section" at Facebook USA Hobby TT Coalition !

Then ask yourself a personal question, will I play more tournaments under a class system, even when I have life distractions which keep me from a practice routine ?
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

A match rating system is detrimental to the growth of TT in the USA.

A class rating system will inspire more participation in TT tournaments !

Read the "about section" at Facebook USA Hobby TT Coalition !

Then ask yourself a personal question, will I play more tournaments under a class system, even when I have life distractions which keep me from a practice routine ?

I respectfully disagree. To me tournaments are about competition. Playing people below, at and above your level. Who cares about the rating or the class? It's still just playing the guy or girl in front of them. I've never heard anyone say I don't play tournaments because of the rating system. The two reasons I hear are its too much money or they don't like tense competition and changing the system doesn't fix that at all.
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by robjkc robjkc wrote:

I don't particularly enjoy playing in tournaments, maybe it's nerves or the pressure of rating points. Matches always seem to go faster than I like and I'm already down 1-0 or 2-0 before I know it (I don't take the 6 point breaks, maybe I should). 

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated!  

I can relate something of how military operations apply to your situation.

We all have more success and confidence when our levels of training and experience are high. We rely on our training and experience to cope with known challenging and unknown challenging situations and overcome them. Success in this breeds confidence. We do not pile up a few decades of knowledge, experience and training in a year or two as much as we would like it to be that way.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic