FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tenergy help for beginner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ttsquared View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttsquared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenergy help for beginner
    Posted: 02/28/2014 at 5:46pm
I was a basement player when I was a wee little lad, took a long break, but I started playing seriously about four months ago, playing often and getting occasional coaching. My current setup:

Primorac off-
fh: Tenergy 05
bh: Tenergy 80

I've heard good things about the Tenergy line, and from the forums and other tt outlets T05 seems to be the gold standard. Most of the people in my table tennis life recommend I stick with the newer tensors, Tenergy in particular.

Does anyone have any recommendations (given my recent foray into tt) for the best tensor to start out with on fh and bh? I don't have a rating, but I'd say I'm around 1300. I don't have a problem with my current setup per se, but I don't have the money to experiment with all the Tenergy rubbers to see if, for instance, the 64 would be more suited for my level; I'm due for new rubbers within the month.

I've thought about springing for the Xiom Vega Pro, but I'm still undecided.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 5:52pm
really no reason to deviate from that setup. if you're finding it a little out of control and you're using max sponge, you could back off to 1.9. 

definitely no need to experiment with other tenergy rubbers imo.

if you wanted to save cash, you could switch to Palio Blit'z on both sides (probably 47deg on the fh and 42deg on the bh). $28 each.

or something like tibhar aurus (reg on fh and soft on the backhand)

Edited by the_theologian - 02/28/2014 at 5:52pm
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 5:55pm
jesus christ, you started out with Tenergy both sides as a beginner? Who gave you this advice? Unless you receive proper coaching, most likely you have already developed wrong strokes and technique. 

Your blade is fine, keep it. Don't waste your money on Tenergy for now, get a $5-$30 chinese rubber like IQUL, Moon, 729-08, Focus Snipe III, H3Neo, etc. and use the money to get a coach. You can go back to Tenergy once you have developed solid foundations to utilize Tenergy's qualities. Otherwise, tenergy will just kill your technique
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
SKRHG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKRHG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:00pm
Tenergy setup and only around 1300? I would say that's a lil too much.  Tenergy is on the more expensive end.  The reason tenergy is so great is because it has so many gears and can easily make many shots.  However, in your case, I feel that there is no need to go so far to get tenergy.  It is probably easier and a lot more economical to stick with standard rubbers like maybe Mark V series or Sriver series.  They are far cheaper and can make a lot of the fundamental shots just as easily as tenergy.  Maybe, when you get around 1800, then switching to Tenergy will have its advantages.  Even some pros don't use tenergy because it's kinda overkill (i.e. Fan Zhendong has more of a topspin block backhand and uses Calibra Tour).  Just a though :)
Stiga Rosewood XO
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Calibra Tour M
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by vutiendat1337 vutiendat1337 wrote:

jesus christ, you started out with Tenergy both sides as a beginner? Who gave you this advice? Unless you receive proper coaching, most likely you have already developed wrong strokes and technique. 

Your blade is fine, keep it. Don't waste your money on Tenergy for now, get a $5-$30 chinese rubber like IQUL, Moon, 729-08, Focus Snipe III, H3Neo, etc. and use the money to get a coach. You can go back to Tenergy once you have developed solid foundations to utilize Tenergy's qualities. Otherwise, tenergy will just kill your technique
that's rather presumptuous... you haven't even seen him play

I expect an assiduous bomb soon
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by SKRHG SKRHG wrote:

Tenergy setup and only around 1300? I would say that's a lil too much.  Tenergy is on the more expensive end.  The reason tenergy is so great is because it has so many gears and can easily make many shots.  However, in your case, I feel that there is no need to go so far to get tenergy.  It is probably easier and a lot more economical to stick with standard rubbers like maybe Mark V series or Sriver series.  They are far cheaper and can make a lot of the fundamental shots just as easily as tenergy.  Maybe, when you get around 1800, then switching to Tenergy will have its advantages.  Even some pros don't use tenergy because it's kinda overkill (i.e. Fan Zhendong has more of a topspin block backhand and uses Calibra Tour).  Just a though :)

FZD uses Calibra Tour??? Let's see a pic of this. And I don't mean a Stiga promo.
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:02pm
I taught a student once, he was playing with Grubba Carbon Allround with Tenergy 80 and Tenergy 64.  Really depends how you combine the setup and this kid was doing perfectly fine with it on the first day, especially on smashes.  For a kid that only took 4 classes and be able to smash with good feeling, I say the setup was working fine for him. 
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:04pm
you don't need to be 1800 to effectively use Tenergy, or 1700, or 1600, etc

tenergy in 1.9 sponge on an off- blade is appropriate for any learning player who's dedicated to the game
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

well, it wouldn't be the first time. I have seen a lot of players who would start out with Tenergy and their technique ended up being literally dependent on Tenergy. They wouldn't be able to loop or play at all with slow rubbers like sriver or mark v. For example, thanks to Tenergy they would only use their arm/forearm without body-movement whatsoever, or no weight-shifting and no incorporating of legs. You know what I mean? Yes, I do make certain assumptions but I wouldn't be surprised if it was not far from the truth. 

Do not get me wrong, I am not saying Tenergy is the "wrong" rubber for beginners. Nor I am against fast setups for beginners. However, formal coaching and training is required in these cases to ensure steady and proper technical development. 

Edited by vutiendat1337 - 02/28/2014 at 6:08pm
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
Rahul_TT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahul_TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:13pm
I know a LOT of players under 1500 who play with tenergy without coaching. They look great in practice with loops and drives. But, once the game starts I see that their short game, touch and ability to keep serves short are pretty much nonexistent.

That hinders them from getting into the rallies they practice day in day out.

I agree with above comment - get tenergy under 1500 if you get regular coaching else, you would have bad form and lack of touch. Looping and driving is a small part of a player's overall repertoire.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:13pm
There even some 1500 level players who have difficulty with Tenergys. As stated above keep your blade and get some sound coaching that is the most important aspect of developing your style. There is absolutely no shame in not playing with Tenergys. Srivers, Mark V, IQUL, Moon, Vario, there are a ton of rubbers very suitable for you to develop. There is a misconception among lower levels that power/spin comes only from the equipment...WRONG! 90% is quality of stroke and excellent technique.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by vutiendat1337 vutiendat1337 wrote:

well, it wouldn't be the first time. I have seen a lot of players who would start out with Tenergy and their technique ended up being literally dependent on Tenergy. They wouldn't be able to loop or play at all with slow rubbers like sriver or mark v. For example, thanks to Tenergy they would only use their arm/forearm without body-movement whatsoever, or no weight-shifting and no incorporating of legs. You know what I mean? Yes, I do make certain assumptions but I wouldn't be surprised if it was not far from the truth. 

Do not get me wrong, I am not saying Tenergy is the "wrong" rubber for beginners. Nor I am against fast setups for beginners. However, formal coaching and training is required in these cases to ensure steady and proper technical development. 

When you get better or become serious about your style, you never let the rubber control the ball.  The problem is that some people don't care and believe the magic behind Tenergy and that's honestly a wrong mindset.  If I ever said "Tenergy is good," I feel a bit irresponsible.  I am also not against the setup, but when I see that they are relying on the rubber too much, then it's my job to remind them.  

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:13pm
Find something you like and stick with it for awhile. 
ttsquared View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttsquared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:13pm
I appreciate your thoughts. I know experienced players and coaches usually fall into two camps about when to start incorporating tensors into a player's setup.

I am getting coaching, though, be it sometimes irregular, and I'm certainly dedicated to becoming better. Crossing my fingers I won't regret starting out with Tenergy.
Rahul_TT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahul_TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:14pm
I am 1800+ but I can tell you that with 05, my BH form goes for a toss and I can barely return serves as well as I would like...
SKRHG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKRHG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:16pm
dedicated doesn't necessarily mean you need to use the best rubber out there, especially when youre technique isn't developed.

Personally, I feel like it's a waste of money.  How many people at 1300 do you think can do a heavy topspin backhand loop or can do a modern backhand flick?  Using the same rubbers as the pros doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to use the rubber like they do. LOL
Stiga Rosewood XO
ttsquared View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttsquared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:17pm

you don't need to be 1800 to effectively use Tenergy, or 1700, or 1600, etc

tenergy in 1.9 sponge on an off- blade is appropriate for any learning player who's dedicated to the game

Trying a thinner sponge is a good idea; it's at the top of my list. Thanks.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:21pm

dedicated doesn't necessarily mean you need to use the best rubber out there, especially when youre technique isn't developed.

Personally, I feel like it's a waste of money.  How many people at 1300 do you think can do a heavy topspin backhand loop or can do a modern backhand flick?  Using the same rubbers as the pros doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to use the rubber like they do. LOL

did I say any such thing?
SKRHG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKRHG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:23pm
lol that's too much effort yo

Calibra top sheet is kinda grainy and really different from any rubber I see... so if you don't believe me, search for yourself...
find a video where it zooms up on his blade or something and you'll see that this quality.... I've positive I saw this (maybe recent chinese trials) and it's definitely calibra Tongue
Stiga Rosewood XO
ttsquared View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttsquared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:27pm

Okay, I catch your drift. At this point, though, I don't know if I want to leave the tensor world entirely. Are there better tensors available for beginners who are getting coaching? I mentioned the Vega Pro in my original post.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by ttsquared ttsquared wrote:

Okay, I catch your drift. At this point, though, I don't know if I want to leave the tensor world entirely. Are there better tensors available for beginners who are getting coaching? I mentioned the Vega Pro in my original post.

Vega Pro is not fast compared to Tenergy.  I would recommend it to players who are starting off with tensor rubbers.  

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by ttsquared ttsquared wrote:

ttsquared,

folks are going to continue "drifting" in this thread I'm sure

just a technicality, Tenergy isn't in the tensor family, only rubbers that come from the ESN factory are

as I mentioned, Palio Blit'z and Tibhar Aurus would do well. you could toss in Joola Rhyzm. pick one of those three and save the headache of endless reading
Rahul_TT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahul_TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:44pm
i recommend markv or sriver and learning how to put power from your torso and legs and spin from your wrists. If you learn how to loop well heavy underspin, you will do wonders with tenergy...

Edited by Rahul_TT - 02/28/2014 at 7:25pm
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 7:35pm
I really hate the idea of any tenergy for a beginner.

I'm an intermediate player who has always played with cheaper, non tensor rubbers. Every time I hit with Tenergy, I'm amazed with how awesome it is and the ability to hit almost any shot. having said that had I started with it to begin with, I would have never had to learn proper strokes.That rubber will do all the work for you.

You can half @$$ certain strokes and still get away with it.

Edited by suds79 - 02/28/2014 at 7:37pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

I'm an intermediate player who has always played with cheaper, non tensor rubbers. Every time I hit with Tenergy, I'm amazed with how awesome it is and the ability to hit almost any shot. having said that had I started with it to begin with, I would have never had to learn proper strokes.That rubber will do all the work for you.

do you really believe this? it will do all the work for you?
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 7:39pm

do you really believe this? it will do all the work for you?

I don't want to get into semantics. Perhaps I shouldnt have said "all". I just think it can make you better than you really are and I really don't like the idea of it for beginners.

Edited by suds79 - 02/28/2014 at 7:43pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 8:14pm

You can half @$$ certain strokes and still get away with it.

People say this a lot, but I'm not sure I buy it.  Maybe it's right, I can't say definitively that it's wrong, but it seems to me like a lot of people hold to this view with almost religious piety.  When somebody writes "had I started with this....", the argument is bogus since the experiment was not actually done, so we don't really know at all what would have happened. 
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 9:12pm
No way that Tenergy does ALL the work for you. But still I wouldn't recommend Tenergies for USATT-1300 player for two (different reasons)

a) there is absolutely no need, there are better (for that level) rubbers which are more suitable for developing player

b) cost (that player can easily play same game, if not better, with rubbers which will cost him THREE times less)
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Avallo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 9:22pm
actually Tenergy not for beginners
it same as a teenager with ferrari, will it suitable??
hell no....

u must learn from the basic with a basic weapon
sriver series will be nice and help you to be better
wait for you good or skilled enough to use tenergy or you will stuck forever pals
an indonesian tennis table maniac

MY FEEDBACK

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 9:31pm
Sriver is almost half the price of Tenergys yet gives 90% performance compared to Tenergys. So much better value plus it lasts a hell of a long time. Ya coaching guy and save your money for that.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic