FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Plastic balls delayed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

...they would say, "TT is a dangerous sport, give the Olympic spot to us! At least our equipment isn't highly flammable".

Celluloid being flammable is of zero relevance to table tennis. To burn, celluloid requires temperature about 150-160°C. So, it is impossible that somewhere in the process of playing, manufacturing or transportation celluloid burns unless there is fire already. Then yes, celluloid balls will not survive the fire like many other things.

You can equally demand banning books because paper is highly flammable.
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 6:36pm
Hey - if you read in the dark too much, you could go blind! Ban this sick filth!

I agree, not relevant to the sport. I haven't heard of any player suffering from celluloid burns. But books are a poor comeback from you - a pile of books burning makes a nice cosy bonfire of the vanities. A similarly sized pile of celluloid balls produces a towering inferno, once ignitied.

This is only a point about perception, not reality. Celluloid is highly flammable, in a dramatic way, when compared with most other sporting goods. It just doesn't compare well. Say, sprinters had flammable, yet slightly more comfortable shoes. Sure, under normal circumstances, no one's feet will explode. But it must seem a bit odd to the layman - why run in exploding trainers, when there are far more inert alternatives?

You know, I've just read all that nonsense back. That must be my worst analogy ever. If I wasn't already lying down, I'd have to go for a lie down.

Anyway, point is - dramatic exploding balls vs inert plastic balls. A health and safety win, for people who care more about health and safety than the real world.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 7:08pm

Anyway, point is - dramatic exploding balls vs inert plastic balls.

"Exploding balls" is a pure crap and you know that. Celluloid does not explode.

Any plastic burns at certain temperatures, but again, this is completely irrelevant to table tennis. Exactly like "flammable paper" is irrelevant to literature.

Even the ITTF perpetrators did not use such a nonsensical argumentation officially, in the BoD resolution from 2011 they referred to the worldwide celluloid ban, like Sharara did in his interview in May 2011. Of course, "worldwide celluloid ban" or "celluloid banned almost everywhere in the world", as Sharara put it, is a flat-out lie, since nobody has been able to present any evidence of such a ban just in a single country, but at least it was not that ridiculous as "flammability" argumentation.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 7:18pm
Celluloid is classified by the US DOT as a "Flammable Solid" Not explosive but will burn slowly

Some shipping restrictions apply.  

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 7:23pm
I am presenting a dramatisation. I should really use a different colour font when I'm being less than literal, or purposely exaggerating something to show how "safety" can be perceived. Then you couldn't take it out of context, mistakenly, could you?

Regardless, facts are facts. Are the new balls less flammable than the old? Is that relevant in a situation where the IOC are deciding on how clean and safe a sport is? Do you trust the IOC to arrive at a non-sensationalist decision?

I suppose you'd be OK playing with grenades for balls. After all, if the pin stays in, it's totally safe, right?

(I should colour that last bit, shouldn't I?)
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 7:23pm
I've flown all over the world with my paddle and a tube or two of 3-star white Nittakus in my carried-on...never once was stopped from flying.  To call them "explosive" or even highly restricted is a big stretch.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 7:26pm
The freakin' jet fuel will explode for sure with the tiniest of spark, and so is the gas in your car, and the methane in your home.  Stop sensationalizing the danger of ping pong balls, lol. 

Edited by roundrobin - 04/08/2014 at 7:27pm
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 7:31pm
Whoa, whoa. I was NOT being literal with my "exploding balls" reference.

However, I assume you've all seen a bulk load of balls go up in a nice pyrotechnic flume? More, or less dramatic than a similar pile of paper?

More, or fewer shipping restrictions on celluloid, compared to paper?

Celluloid is more, or less flammable, than the new poly balls?

I'm not even saying that this is the reason for the ball change. I do think it helps the profile of the sport in the round. A fringe benefit of the change. The comment was originally aimed at the odd posts regarding nitrogen.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

The freakin' jet fuel will explode for sure with the tiniest of spark, and so is the gas in your car, and the methane in your home.  Stop sensationalizing the danger of ping pong balls, lol. 

Ha! You know, the dangers of the sport keep me up at night. Is my next smash going to be my last? Or will I just lose a finger or two? Lol

We are talking Olympic sports here. They try to be whiter than white. I think it will contribute in some small way to a self-serving feeling of progress. A meeting where the ittf can say to the IOC "we got rid of that nasty celluloid stuff this year, and banned racket doping", and the IOC say "good work, we won't replace you with horseback jet fuel juggling this time". Everyone has a glass of gin and goes home with a feeling of achievement.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 7:46pm
Is this a flame war?   a wee pun

a table tennis ball cannot self ignite so why are we talking about it?
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 8:09pm
For fun? Are you not entertained? 😊

There was a previous comment about the new balls being as flammable as the old. Which I doubt is accurate.

Also, I think there are some positives in having a less flammable ball. Easier storage. Easier transportation. Less likely to be used to paint the sport in a dangerous light by fictional gin drinking IOC members who are up to no good. (last one exaggerated for silliness factor before it gets quoted and I'm asked to provide evidence that gin is the predominant drink of IOC members).

The world of health and safety is about risk reduction and incident avoidance. This can look like safety for safety's sake a lot of the time, but there is a whole industry of health and safety people doing health and safety things along these lines. Removing (or reducing) a potential risk is seen as a win, even if that risk is small to begin with. They might say - why wait until a celluloid fire incident, if you can remove celluloid from your process entirely?

Unless...you want a celluloid factory fire??? Is that what you want? All those people dead? You MONSTER!!!
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 10:08pm
lighten up, you are flaming the situation and you will cause the topic to heat up and ignite a explosion of questions and spark some discusion,
 I know are having a ball, but isn't this subject burnt out by now

Poly Embers
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 2:57am

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 3:20am
Other than just for amusement, why are we having this conversation? Adham Sharara has already admitted that the main purpose for switch to plastic had nothing to do with the "dangers" of celluloid and that the real goal all along was to slow down the game. 
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 6:06am
   Plastic family has just grown with four novelties,   this morning.

http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=balls

Сегодня, 9 Апреля, четыре новых пластмассовых бренда добавились в реестр,

-- Donic 40+ (шов seam)
    --Giant Dragon 40+ (шов)
    -- Nittaku SHA 40+ (шов)
    -- Stiga Optimum 40+ (шов)

If all the brands are found to differ one from another in playing behaviour considerably, it is most likely each single player gets wishful to use their own preferred ball.   How could we deal with this ?

Edited by igorponger - 04/09/2014 at 6:37am
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 9:31am
andro 40+*** (Plastic with seam)
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 11:38am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Other than just for amusement, why are we having this conversation? Adham Sharara has already admitted that the main purpose for switch to plastic had nothing to do with the "dangers" of celluloid and that the real goal all along was to slow down the game. 
yes.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 12:40pm
Oh, he has admitted that, has he? He's said, specifically, that the celluloid issue now is nonsense, and it's all about slowing the game down? Link please. Because I don't think he's backtracked on celluloid, he just changes his reasons based on who he is talking to, or which way the wind is blowing.

Even if so, are we now believing him? It's not celluloid, the entire plan was to slow the game down? And not to collude with manufacturers? Or to profit from the patent issue? He's definitely telling the truth now, right?

I don't think anyone on this forum knows why the poly ball has arrived beyond a reasonable doubt. It might have nothing to do with celluloid. It might be an elvis-alien-abduction conspiracy.

The reason why I like talking about stuff like flammability is that it represents an improvement on the current arrangement. And I love the reaction from some when any pro of the poly ball is presented. I'm not saying that it's the reason for the move to poly - I'm just listing benefits of the move as I see them. But some don't want to think about benefits, they just want to wail and howl about everything surrounding it. I like to balance out the doom and gloom. The sport will continue. I think it will improve after this change. I'm not happy with the behaviour of the ittf, but that won't stop me enjoying the game in the future.

So, a less flammable ball is an improvement. Players might not notice that at the table, but in the wider world it helps manufacturing, distribution, competition in the marketplace, and profile.

There are downsides to the poly ball, I'm sure. But there are upsides too, and to deny them just shows a cynical agenda.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 12:42pm
+1 Andy
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 1:39pm

Oh, he has admitted that, has he? He's said, specifically, that the celluloid issue now is nonsense, and it's all about slowing the game down? Link please. Because I don't think he's backtracked on celluloid, he just changes his reasons based on who he is talking to, or which way the wind is blowing.

Even if so, are we now believing him? It's not celluloid, the entire plan was to slow the game down? And not to collude with manufacturers? Or to profit from the patent issue? He's definitely telling the truth now, right?

I don't think anyone on this forum knows why the poly ball has arrived beyond a reasonable doubt. It might have nothing to do with celluloid. It might be an elvis-alien-abduction conspiracy.

The reason why I like talking about stuff like flammability is that it represents an improvement on the current arrangement. And I love the reaction from some when any pro of the poly ball is presented. I'm not saying that it's the reason for the move to poly - I'm just listing benefits of the move as I see them. But some don't want to think about benefits, they just want to wail and howl about everything surrounding it. I like to balance out the doom and gloom. The sport will continue. I think it will improve after this change. I'm not happy with the behaviour of the ittf, but that won't stop me enjoying the game in the future.

So, a less flammable ball is an improvement. Players might not notice that at the table, but in the wider world it helps manufacturing, distribution, competition in the marketplace, and profile.

There are downsides to the poly ball, I'm sure. But there are upsides too, and to deny them just shows a cynical agenda.

It's a ping pong forum, not a public safety meeting.  The pros and cons of plastic balls should be related to playing, not flammability.

As for "less flammable": that's a judgement that will vary by individual. 

1) Celluloid balls will burn faster, almost explosive in factory or shipping containers, where there is dust in the air.
2) Plastic balls burn slower but are harder to put out and put a lot of carbon into the air.  These kinds of fires are more dangerous to the lungs and environment and are harder to clean up afterwards.
3) Celluloid is made from plants, plastic is made from oil.  Rather than worry about flammability, I would prefer to use celluloid because it's more environmentally friendly (relatively speaking).
4) The world is full of stuff that is manufactured, shipped, and stored (even in our homes) that is corrosive, flammable, poisonous, explosive, and dangerous in a dozen other ways.  People know this and live with it all the time.  Most people would have no concern over the flammability of celluloid table tennis balls.

I have no opinion on the change to plastic balls because I haven't played with them yet.  However, I'm quite upset with Sharara for originally lying about his motivation for the change to plastic. Especially since there was no evidence to support his claim that the world is moving away from celluloid and all factories would eventually be shut down. And, no, I'm not going to look up the links for these statements.  Either you've already been keeping up with the prior discussions or you need to educate yourself.  I have better things to do.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 1:40pm
No Butterfly Brand approved, so far - may be some time down the road.

=======================

ITTF approved plastic balls.

With seam:

DHS 40+*** (plastic with seam) 

Donic 40+*** (Plastic with seam) 

Double Fish 40+*** (plastic with seam) 

Giant Dragon 40+*** (Plastic with seam) 

Nittaku Premium 40+*** (plastic with seam) 

Nittaku SHA 40+*** (Plastic with seam) 

Stiga Optimum 40+*** (Plastic with seam) 

=================================

Seamless:

Palio*** (plastic seamless) 

Xushaofa*** (plastic seamless) 

Edited by skip3119 - 04/09/2014 at 1:49pm
skip3119
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

No Butterfly Brand approved, so far.

=======================

With seam:

Seamless:

I have to wonder how many of these different balls are really the same balls imprinted to a specific name? Does anyone have plans to collect all these balls and test them out?
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 2:19pm
FWIW

I read somewhere on the ITTF site (please don't ask me where, I can't find it now) that the BD had approved companies re-branding approved balls, so many of these balls come from the same factory but with a different TT company as the dist.

Looks like seamed balls are clearly the favorite version.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 2:25pm
Somebody should give their ball 5 stars... why stop at 3?
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

No Butterfly Brand approved, so far.

=======================

With seam:

Seamless:

I have to wonder how many of these different balls are really the same balls imprinted to a specific name? Does anyone have plans to collect all these balls and test them out?

I belive all these balls with seam are made by DHS in China. Only Nittaku Premium 40+ is Made in Japan at their own factory.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 3:07pm
benfb - I wrote a reply, but it was huuuuuge, and it begins to look more and more off topic based on the title of this thread. It continues a discussion from previous pages though - so I don't think I'm intentionally derailing. This thread has been off topic for a while now, IMO.

So I'm starting up a new thread on pros/cons of the poly ball. I'll post on there, thus immediately making my rambling on topic.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 3:27pm

benfb - I wrote a reply, but it was huuuuuge, and it begins to look more and more off topic based on the title of this thread. It continues a discussion from previous pages though - so I don't think I'm intentionally derailing. This thread has been off topic for a while now, IMO.

So I'm starting up a new thread on pros/cons of the poly ball. I'll post on there, thus immediately making my rambling on topic.

Sounds good to me.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 6:26pm

We all got a giggle out of his "We got a solution to the celluloid problem done just in time" line.

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 9:14pm
ANDRO OVERTAKES ON EUROPA MARKET !!!

https://m.facebook.com/comment/replies/?ctoken=600822993329856_1712120&ft_ent_identifier=600822993329856&gfid=AQAuFxvdhWcUHgiI&refid=13

ANDRO will be the flag seller for Europa's market, to distribute PB in large scale, before other euro traders..
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by AndySmith<br>Regardless, facts are facts. Are the new balls less flammable than the old? Is that relevant in a situation where the IOC are deciding on how clean and safe a sport is? Do you trust the IOC to arrive at a non-sensationalist decision?<br><br>I suppose you'd be OK playing with grenades for balls. After all, if the pin stays in, it's totally safe, right?<br><br>(I should colour that last bit, shouldn't I?)[/QUOTE AndySmith
Regardless, facts are facts. Are the new balls less flammable than the old? Is that relevant in a situation where the IOC are deciding on how clean and safe a sport is? Do you trust the IOC to arrive at a non-sensationalist decision?

I suppose you'd be OK playing with grenades for balls. After all, if the pin stays in, it's totally safe, right?

(I should colour that last bit, shouldn't I?)[/QUOTE wrote:

Maybe you should just stop posting nonsense.  Making exaggerated comparisons like this is just silly.

BTW, our rackets must be made from 85% wood - which is flammable.  The whole flammability point about balls is mostly nonsense.  It only has real world practical implications for people that must ship large numbers of balls.  And that's because the shipping rule/regulations are simply no

Maybe you should just stop posting nonsense.  Making exaggerated comparisons like this is just silly.

BTW, our rackets must be made from 85% wood - which is flammable.  The whole flammability point about balls is mostly nonsense.  It only has real world practical implications for people that must ship large numbers of balls.  And that's because the shipping rule/regulations are simply not up to date regarding the nature of the celluloid used in table tennis balls.  And the net result is simply that it costs a bit more to ship them - which clearly isn't a big deal considering how low cost bulk training balls are.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic