Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic balls delayed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plastic balls delayed?
    Posted: 03/10/2014 at 7:56am
Hi, on the Italian forum they say that the European Youth Championships in September 2014 will be played with the old celluloid balls.

Also, a friend of mine told me that an international umpire told him personally that the new balls are delayed until july 2015. Is this true?
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Sponsored Links

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 9:39am
Seems the new balls from the 3 manufacturers (DHS, Double Fish, & Xushaofa) are available. Someone reported that he was able to play test them in between matches at a tournament in Indiana.  He did not say how they were obtained.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 9:48am
I've got the xushaofa from ttnpp. It is harder but it spins; the rubber grips.  I need to test it better today (so far only with return board).
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 9:48am
I highly doubt there's been a delay. I do know that 2014 will be a transitory year so the European Youth Championships using the celluloid ball is more than possible. By the end of the year, all tournaments should be using plastic.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 10:00am
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

I've got the xushaofa from ttnpp. It is harder but it spins; the rubber grips.  I need to test it better today (so far only with return board).
Does the balls have red lettering or black?  The red lettered ones are not the ITTF approved balls.  The black lettered ones are ITTF approved. 

Edited by GMan4911 - 03/10/2014 at 10:10am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 10:01am
My THEORY is that the major non-Chinese companies may have to deal with patent issues first so until those are resolved, if an European tournament is being sponsored by an European company, they will just use celluloid.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 10:17am
Looks like Palio now has an approved ball so now there are four:

seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 10:26am
the xushaofa from ttnpp is not the approved one, (red letters, no ittf mark, see on ttnpp) but you can guess it is equivalent to the final product. it plays like plastic, spins less, bounces higher, is harder.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 12:14pm
I just posted the official ITTF letter that spells all that out.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 2:34pm
I hit with the new Palio for a couple hours last week.  It is slightly larger, harder, bounces higher, less spinny and much slower than celluloid.  I didn't dislike it but it was odd at first. Shots that would be winners, third balls attacks mainly, come back to you, which is a bit offputting at first.  Mind you, you stay in rallies yourself that would be finished with the old ball.  'How did I get to that?'  

Touch shots were tricky and the ball reacts oddly at times, particularly at very slow speeds. The hardest thing to get used to was watching the opponent's stroke and then preparing for a return, as you do, based on the speed of the stroke and finding that there far less pace and spin on the ball than the stroke would indicate.  

I was against the change from the start, but wasn't as put off by the Palio as I thought I'd be.  All in all, better than I expected and yes, the rallies did last somewhat longer. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 3:04pm

the xushaofa from ttnpp is not the approved one, (red letters, no ittf mark, see on ttnpp) but you can guess it is equivalent to the final product. it plays like plastic, spins less, bounces higher, is harder.
You could guess but that is all it would be.  One could also guess that the reason the xushaofa ball sold earlier is not ITTF approved is because it is not good.  Lot of speculation everywhere, and rumors, but that is all it is. 

Edit.  Cole has started a thread with some information that is more concrete.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 4:17pm
@Seguso

Caro Amico,

I gusti variano, e non ci sono due menti pensano allo stesso modo. Si sa.
Quindi, io credo solo che i fatti e i numeri mi dicono, non per gli esseri umani.
Voglio numeri, voglio sapere la
palla esatto di massa e il diametro
da numeri.

Grazie, grazie in anticipo.

----------------
Italian is mellifluent to your ear best of all other languages.. People all must hear Italian fluent speach and classical songs so as to have got a joyful mood.. Yes.

Edited by igorponger - 03/10/2014 at 4:21pm
n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 5:18pm
I played with one Xushaofa ball and I hated it.. lacked spin... my game will really hurt from this change but will be nice to see the anger on peoples faces against my LP's when they can't end a point like the used to
I'm Nate
BLADE: YEO Cpen
BH: Xiom Omega IV Asia/Pogo pips out
FH: DHS Hurricane 2 neo

Blade: Nittaku Ruforal Jpen
FH: Nittaku Renanos Soft
RPB: focus 3 snipe<
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by n8stee n8stee wrote:

I played with one Xushaofa ball and I hated it.. lacked spin... my game will really hurt from this change but will be nice to see the anger on peoples faces against my LP's when they can't end a point like the used to

In no time people will find out that against chops, they could just smash/kill the ball instead of looping it repeatedly.  Smashes are hard to chop.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 2:51am
tested yesterday. videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8XsczfRT2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED9RqRSJEkw

I like the new ball, but it's another sport (better IMHO).

1) I guess third ball is dead. If you cannot read the spin in the receive, you can just drive or soft push, and if you can keep not too long and not too high, the third ball is not deadly. You will block it or counterloop it easily.

2) even though backspin spin is less, you can't counterattack against backspin. power loops to kill against backspin are very difficult. You have to hit softer, othherwise you miss, because the ball does not dip. as a result, defenders with long pips are very difficult to defeat now.

3) you flip every receive, but the flip is softer and will be relooped. and the loop in turn is softer and will be re-relooped.

4) the ball is slower, but at the same time you feel it's for the better, because if you were to play as fast as before you would miss (no arc). rallies are slower.

5) as I said, loops have little arc. Brush loop on dead balls that barely go out is very difficult.

more to come...

Edited by seguso - 03/11/2014 at 3:11am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 5:26am
There will be new rubbers that grip plastic better and fix some of these things.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 6:30am
I doubt it, I think the lack of grip and spin is not due to the material but to the hardness.

Evidence: Tibhar JPS+ (hard celluloid) was similar or identical in spin, only faster.

All we can do is slightly decrease the rubber hardness, but I doubt we can recover all the lost spin.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 6:37am

tested yesterday. videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8XsczfRT2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED9RqRSJEkw

I like the new ball, but it's another sport (better IMHO).

1)
I guess third ball is dead. If you cannot
read the spin in the receive, you can just drive or soft push, and if you can keep not too long and not too high, the third ball is not
deadly. You will block it or counterloop it easily.

2) even
though backspin spin is less, you can't counterattack against backspin.
power loops to kill against backspin are very difficult. You have to hit
softer, othherwise you miss, because the ball does not dip. as a result, defenders with long pips are very difficult to defeat now.

3) you flip every receive, but the flip is softer and will be relooped. and the loop in turn is softer and will be re-relooped.

4) the ball is slower, but at the same time you feel it's for the better, because if you were to play as fast as before you would miss (no arc). rallies are slower.

5) as I said, loops have little arc. Brush loop on dead balls that barely go out is very difficult.

more to come...

Your set up is non tacky topsheet rubbers so the loopers of the future will probably use super tacky topsheet rubbers maybe even with softer sponge to get the most dwell time.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 6:45am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Your set up is non tacky topsheet rubbers so the loopers of the future will probably use super tacky topsheet rubbers maybe even with softer sponge to get the most dwell time.

Look, what you say is plausible, but the problem here is hardness, not lack of grip. if you switch to a DHS H3 to compensate, it will feel like playing with a 1.0 mm H3 today. For this reason, I think the proper way to compensate is to switch to a softer rubber, not to a tacky hard one.

When you play, you feel like the ball does not stay on the paddle enough to grip it. It's the kind of lack of grip that is due to hardness, not the kind that is due to lack-of-tack, if you know what I mean. Imagine playing with a 0.5 mm euro rubber to know how it feels.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 7:03am
First video - how did this happen to the ball? I hate to change $3 balls every 10 minutes.

seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

First video - how did this happen to the ball? I hate to change $3 balls every 10 minutes.

The ball broke after only 10 minutes of play. because I hit the edge of the blade...

Then I picked two more balls which did not break so far (I played 2 more hours. I hit the edge at least once.)

I hope the reason why the first ball broke is that everyone there kept pressing it with their fingers to test the hardness. But this is wishful thinking :(

apart from fragility, I have to say the ball is very high quality. very good feel. very hard implies very accurate placements. As I said, it plays very similar to tibhar JPS+ but slower. (which I 've heard is like Nittaku premium)
Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 12:06pm

2) even though backspin spin is less, you can't counterattack against backspin. power loops to kill against backspin are very difficult.

As Roundrobin and some others pointed out, less spin leads to more successful smashing.

Players will adjust soon and the first impression of longer rallies because of less spin will be gone.

It is spin that drives players away from the table now leading to longer rallies. If spin is not so effective any longer, the players will stop looping and start flat hitting closer to the table, which will lead to a faster game and shorter rallies.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Mastermind Mastermind wrote:

2) even though backspin spin is less, you can't counterattack against backspin. power loops to kill against backspin are very difficult.

As Roundrobin and some others pointed out, less spin leads to more successful smashing.

Players will adjust soon and the first impression of longer rallies because of less spin will be gone.

It is spin that drives players away from the table now leading to longer rallies. If spin is not so effective any longer, the players will stop looping and start flat hitting closer to the table, which will lead to a faster game and shorter rallies.

Wait a second. Power loop against backspin is more difficult than it was before, but is still easier than smashing. I don't see why someone would smash instead of powerlooping. He would have less margin.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 4:03pm

Wait a second. Power loop against backspin is more difficult than it was before, but is still easier than smashing. I don't see why someone would smash instead of powerlooping. He would have less margin.

Hardly the case when we tested the Palio seamless ball, which by your account should be even more difficult than the one you tested to power loop against backspin.  It is a piece of cake to smash/drive/loop the ball with full force once you are used to the bounce.  Our Chinese provincial players absolutely loved it for ease of attacking.

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Hardly the case when we tested the Palio seamless ball, which by your account should be even more difficult than the one you tested to power loop against backspin.  It is a piece of cake to smash/drive/loop the ball with full force once you are used to the bounce.

Our Chinese provincial players absolutely loved it for ease of attacking.

Don't they use a rubber with a super sticky topsheet ?

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 03/11/2014 at 6:25pm
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Don't they use a rubber with a super sticky topsheet ?

Sure they do.  I tried to block their attacks but I could actually feel the ball deform slightly with all the torque.  It's actually more accurate to punch-block or smash it back than simply blocking.  The plastic ball rewards active strokes.

seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2014 at 4:44am

Hardly the case when we tested the Palio seamless ball, which by your account should be even more difficult than the one you tested to power loop against backspin.  It is a piece of cake to smash/drive/loop the ball with full force once you are used to the bounce.  Our Chinese provincial players absolutely loved it for ease of attacking.

Are you saying that Zhang Jike will start smashing instead of looping?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2014 at 8:07am

Are you saying that Zhang Jike will start smashing instead of looping?

On high balls certainly.  In general he will be driving a lot more instead of spinning the ball.

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2014 at 4:40pm
Received my Palio balls yesterday.

NOT THAT BAD AT ALL!

They feel harder and heavier and the rubbers feel softer now. I enjoy that. It is much easier to get dwell inside the sponge. 
The bounce was the same when I tested them, maybe a tiny difference after they bounce 10 times. The ball seems to be higher above the table when u start playing but that is because the balls are extremely rough and grippy so the rubber just throws the ball higher.
Sound is different but now like a cracked ball. More like a glass or very hard plastic. I can see how I can get used to that in a week. 
All in all, I am very happy with the new balls. They are easier to play with. I can feel myself how it is easier to keep the rally going with this ball. It is grippy, a little slower, easier to initiate attack but easier to defend from attacks as well. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2014 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Received my Palio balls yesterday.

NOT THAT BAD AT ALL!

They feel harder and heavier and the rubbers feel softer now. I enjoy that. It is much easier to get dwell inside the sponge. 
The bounce was the same when I tested them, maybe a tiny difference after they bounce 10 times. The ball seems to be higher above the table when u start playing but that is because the balls are extremely rough and grippy so the rubber just throws the ball higher.
Sound is different but now like a cracked ball. More like a glass or very hard plastic. I can see how I can get used to that in a week. 
All in all, I am very happy with the new balls. They are easier to play with. I can feel myself how it is easier to keep the rally going with this ball. It is grippy, a little slower, easier to initiate attack but easier to defend from attacks as well. 

Very good news.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic