Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Table top modifications

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table top modifications
    Posted: 03/25/2014 at 10:23pm
In another thread people were talking about slowing the game down. Can the table top be modified in such a way it would slow the ball down? Similar to how clay slows a tennis ball down. Is it possible to use certain types of wood and paint to scrub speed off a table tennis ball?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 1:40am
Use outdoor melamine tables. They are slow and awful.
neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 7:38am
I'm imagining a whole table with a frictionless long pips surface. Spin wouldn't be affected but it would certainly slow things down.
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 11:02am
All the Rubber Floorings are known to damp down the ball bounce pretty much.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Use outdoor melamine tables. They are slow and awful.
Aren't these shiny - the ball slides on these don't they?
Butterfly MPS
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by neutronbomb neutronbomb wrote:

I'm imagining a whole table with a frictionless long pips surface. Spin wouldn't be affected but it would certainly slow things down.
Bounce has to be true - not sure if that would work - but I think I'll have to try it out.
Butterfly MPS
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Hmmm maybe what I'm thinking about is not possible - the rubber flooring does kill the bounce and speed. I was thinking of someway to reduce the speed but maintain the bounce - not sure if that is possible. I have to stop posting in the middle of the night!
Butterfly MPS
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Hmmm maybe what I'm thinking about is not possible - the rubber flooring does kill the bounce and speed.
The bounce part is a myth.  OK, the bounce is is reduced by 0.001% but how can you notice that?  The variations in the wood density will be greater.
The speed is going to be dependent on the friction of the table.  The ball spin will affect the speed if the table has more friction.  The tables with more friction will help chopped balls stall and spinny loops jump out after the bounce.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

The bounce part is a myth.  OK, the bounce is is reduced by 0.001% but how can you notice that?  The variations in the wood density will be greater.
The speed is going to be dependent on the friction of the table.  The ball spin will affect the speed if the table has more friction.  The tables with more friction will help chopped balls stall and spinny loops jump out after the bounce.

I think so too.  We had a long discussion about this on about.com and there are quite a few experienced players who think that the presence or absence of rubber mattes makes a clear difference. The problem is that nobody could come up with any reasonable explanation of why that would be true.  Further, nobody seemed to notice differences based on legs made of wood vs. steel or when equipped with plastic feet.  Given the mass difference between a ball and a table top, it seems extremely unlikely that the floor type makes any difference.  Ball seams and imperfections should have far more pronounced effects.

Table top surfaces, OTOH, make a clear difference.  We have new Butterfly Centerfold 25s in the club and Killerspin MYT10 tables.  The extra friction of the Butterflies is quite noticeable.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 11:59pm
I was thinking Igorponger meant put the rubber flooring material on the table top. You guys are talking about placing the table on rubber floor making a difference. I was going to test placing a OX pips rubber on the table surface to see how it would work - but forgot - try it next time I go to the club!
Butterfly MPS
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 12:31am

I was going to test placing a OX pips rubber on the table surface to see how it would work - but forgot - try it next time I go to the club!

You are wasting your time.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 1:24am
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

I was going to test placing a OX pips rubber on the table surface to see how it would work - but forgot - try it next time I go to the club!

You are wasting your time.
You're probably right.
Sometimes it gets slow at the club - when I'm tired of practicing serves - will try it and see what happens! 
Butterfly MPS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic