FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

"Chopping rubber"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Chopping rubber"
    Posted: 03/26/2014 at 7:42pm
So what makes a good chopping rubber? Both referring to inverted chopping and pips. Referring to the full defensive chopping style though, like Joo Se Hyuk and Matsushita.

For inverted, is tacky preferred? 1.5mm sponge?

For long pips, is it the more reversing pips that are ideal, or less reversing?

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
Sponsored Links

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 7:59pm
The rubber should be on the slow side. After that I think it is what you get used to and are more comfortable with.
For inverted I like Reflectoid on my FH.
I think the frictionless LPs are easier to learn how to play with because you don't care about incoming spin but then you can't vary the spin on the chopped ball.
I like Dawei 388D-1 Quattro 0.6mm for because it chops and I can hit balls with it.  I think it is important to be able to attack with the LP as well as chop.
Note, I can chop and I have a chopping paddle but I am not a chopper.

tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 8:10pm
for inverted, you want a sponge that is not bouncy/high catapult.  usually something with a softer sponge.

for LP, if you want to create good backspin you need a topsheet with good friction.  a good cheap one is Giant Dragon Cropcircles.  TSP P4 is good but quite expensive. get either one in a thin sponge.
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Avallo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 9:36pm
tacky or not, it's your choice....
the important thing, it should be not bouncy and have good control

Tibhar super def, Stiga C n D, Tackiness C, Xiom Yanus is good enough
an indonesian tennis table maniac

MY FEEDBACK

tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 9:53am
Anything that is not too speedy and doesn't have too much spring in it, so usually a thinner sponge helps, but enough spin to be able to play good defence and also have the option to attack if your style wishes so. Short pips are actually becoming more popular for chopping players as it is easier to create deception and more spin variation (i.e playing no spin becomes harder for the opponent to read).
100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 10:01am

BTY Feint Long III - Sauer & Troger Hellfire - Neotec Tokkan - TSP P1R and/or P4 - Palio CK531A

Blade, Rubbers, Shoes, Socks ...
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 7:58pm
I guess the next logical question would be, what are the most popular rubbers (inverted or pips) being used by choppers?
Arthur Lui
Avallo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 11:42pm
hmm
in my country
1. Tibhar Super Def
2. Bty Tackiness Chop
3. Xiom Yanus
4. Stiga CHop n Driver

an indonesian tennis table maniac

MY FEEDBACK

chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 9:19am
I used to play with Flextra 1.9mm sponge (come off from an old Flextra sheet) to combine with DHS C8. 
Choosing right blade for defensive chopper is also very important.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2014 at 5:00pm
What sponge thickness did you use on the Reflectoid?
Arthur Lui
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2014 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by ppgear ppgear wrote:

What sponge thickness did you use on the Reflectoid?
I assume this was directed at me since I was the last to mention Reflectoid.
1.0mm or 1.5mm on the BH and 2mm on the FH.
I have a friend that bought a LQ2+2xReflectoid 2mm from colestt.com
and it works well for him.  He keeps his chops low but now the coach has converted him to C8 1mm.

townhousecrackers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townhousecrackers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2014 at 9:02am

For inverted, is tacky preferred? 1.5mm sponge?
Top choppers often play with max fast tensors because of the required need for attacking ability. Plus these rubbers reward good chopping form with high spin and speed variations. I beleive one of the most popular inverted rubbers for high level choppers is the Tenergy series.

For long pips, is it the more reversing pips that are ideal, or less reversing?
Reversal is usually frictionless LP with no sponge. Choppers at a high level need to be able to have more control over spin variation and so sponge is often seen as a requirement. And the popular trend of high level choppers tends to moving towards grippier LP.

The most popular LP for chopping at the world class rubber is P1r, often in a thicker sponge which allows for more variation in spin. Some sponge is required at a high level in order to absorb pace/spin and allow for more variation.

Other popular chopping rubbers are P4, Feint Long 3, and also to an extent Grass Dtecs which is not a grippy LP but provides enormous backspin and has its own set of interesting characterstics and properties (hard to use though).

VKM
RED Tenergy 05 2.1
Black Dtecs OX
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2014 at 3:56pm
Thanks, guys.

I'm trying to see if there are clearly defined parameters for a good chopping rubber, to see if I can effectively categorize the rubbers on the TTDB using their ratings on tackiness, speed, spin, etc.

The goal is to see whether I can make up categories using the physical properties and automatically tag each rubber as being suitable for various playing styles.

Do you think this can be done reliably, and be useful to people?

If so, what playing styles might be good for tagging?

Arthur Lui
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic