Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Want more speed on 802-40 SP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want more speed on 802-40 SP
    Posted: 03/27/2014 at 11:38am
I have a clipper classic penhold (class OFF) with 802-40 on it. I got the rubber from zeropong which sells 802 & 802-40 in their "Special Soft Pro Version #35" sponge. It's suppose to have more control which I would say it does but honestly I don't feel the speed effect that I feel it should have. Speed I would say is just okay.

I've watched HE Zhi Wen & Wang Zeng Yi play. Two well known penhold SP players. I believe they both use or have used 802. Honestly I don't know how they generate all the speed they do. Is it the sponge?

I have some falco tempo booster laying around. Anybody ever boosted a SP? Does that even make sense? Or would I be wasting my time and should try simply a different pip with more speed. 

If so, what do you recommend? Flarestorm 2? Spectol 21 offensive sponge? Are these faster?

I know that's a lot of questions there so any insight some of our SP experienced players might have I'd appreciate.

Edited by suds79 - 03/27/2014 at 11:42am
Sponsored Links

schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 11:46am
I've had good results boosting 802-40 on a clipper.  what sponge thickness are you using?

Edited by schen - 03/27/2014 at 11:46am
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 11:49am
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

I've had good results boosting 802-40 on a clipper.  what sponge thickness are you using?

2.0 Don't get me wrong. It's nice. The control is good. The speed is okay. But I was having a counterdriving exchange with my buddy. He's playing a couple feet off the table hitting and I'm up on the table playing shots off the bounce, trying to apply speed and I feel like he's getting the better of the exchange.

Do you also have the 35 deg sponge? 

Sorry edit here: I just noticed you said you've boosted that. Is it just like boosting inverted? What product did you use? Maybe I should try that.

Edited by suds79 - 03/27/2014 at 11:50am
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 11:52am
I have a lot of people ask me to glue that sp onto a harder sponge or at least a bouncier one.  It's a common request.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 11:53am
yes i have the 35d sponge, i got it from megaspin in 1.5mm.

boosting it was just like inverted - i used a couple layers of haifu seamoon.  it gives it a snappier feel and crisper sound and definitely a notch up in speed.  I found 1.5mm boosted 802-40 on my clipper wood to be plenty of speed, but if still feel you need more after boosting 2.0mm, give the 2.15 (max) a try.

Edited by schen - 03/27/2014 at 11:53am
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 12:08pm
"I've watched HE Zhi Wen & Wang Zeng Yi play. Two well known penhold SP players. I believe they both use or have used 802. Honestly I don't know how they generate all the speed they do. Is it the sponge?"

HZW - a 50+ year old that is still world rank #69. He can generate speed because he is a professional with great technique and skill.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 12:16pm
Plain old 802(from zeropong or the chinese mystery sponges) does have speed problem… harder sponge does give you greater potential for speed but the demand on technique and power to tap into the speed increases exponentially. 

i am pretty sure the pros plays with pre-boosted versions of the 802 there is no way it is only skill...

729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

HZW - a 50+ year old that is still world rank #69. He can generate speed because he is a professional with great technique and skill.
That is short for he swings faster.
You can find a faster sponge to increase the coefficient of restitution or increase the paddle speed at impact.

I play with 802 and its variants.  I find the stock 802s from zeropong to be fast enough. 
My issue with faster sponges it that it will be harder to block fast loops.

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 12:42pm
I had a similar speed problem like you when I used the Bomb Hammer 2.2(which is supposed to be similar to 802-40) on the Clipper Wood WRB. I think you should try Butterfly Raystorm or TSP Super Spin Pips both are a lot faster and more dynamic. After using the Raystorm on a Schlager Carbon there was no speed problem anymore, it played just as fast my regular inverted setup. I really liked the TSP Super Spin Pips on my Armstrong Hi Level blade which is a 6 ply basswood blade. To my information He Zhi Wen is using Haifu Dolphin now which is a very fast pip aswell.
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 1:32pm
From what i know He Zhi Wen  uses the Dolphin and also 802/ with spectol sponge. 

Thats where the speed comes from.

I have used several sheets of 802-40 and love it but it does need more speed so various sponges could be an answer.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 1:57pm
Spinlord Degu
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

That is short for he swings faster.
You can find a faster sponge to increase the coefficient of restitution or increase the paddle speed at impact.

I play with 802 and its variants.  I find the stock 802s from zeropong to be fast enough. 
My issue with faster sponges it that it will be harder to block fast loops.

HZW plays with 802 and TSP sponge, i know several pros use special sponge+802  mi guess they must take it from tensor rubbers, i know that most of the cpens in the chinese team play with dolphin
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 2:51pm
Don't waste your money. Get Nittaku Hammond FA - it works very well on Clipper.  One of the best rubbers for the penhold style. It is also extremely durable.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 03/27/2014 at 2:53pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 3:13pm
I found the Hammond FA much too hard and not like the 802-40 at all..
I gave mine away
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 3:18pm
Got a lot of good info from all this. Really appreciate it.

I think I'll  first try boosting my 802-40 and see how that goes. Will try to report my findings.

Going forward, I really like how 802 & 802-40 feel behave. Just wanted more speed. Next time I buy I'll probably just order those topsheets with a faster sponge from Cole. Should have done that in the first place. ;)

But you live & learn.
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 5:36pm
Hammond FA is medium hard, extremely fast and just a notch less spinny than 802-40. Control is much better.  I find Hammond FA and Flarestorm to be the best suited to the penhold style.  
The topsheet of 802/802-40 is not bad but the sponge is crap. 
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Don't waste your money. Get Nittaku Hammond FA - it works very well on Clipper.  One of the best rubbers for the penhold style. It is also extremely durable.

this is the rubber tang peng was using when he was in the chinese team around 2001, what are the features of hammond Fa?  Is it spinny more than flarestorm?  cos flarestorm is not very friendly on the other hand moristo sp is more used short pips at prolevel..i wonder why there are no revies about hammond fa, please give a review chicho. do you have skype to chat PM
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

this is the rubber tang peng was using when he was in the chinese team around 2001, what are the features of hammond Fa?  Is it spinny more than flarestorm?  cos flarestorm is not very friendly on the other hand moristo sp is more used short pips at prolevel..i wonder why there are no revies about hammond fa, please give a review chicho. do you have skype to chat PM

I went through a similar thing with hammond FA not that long ago. I kept coming back to wanting to buy it, but repeatedly heard from good SP players that Hammond FA was not good.  Not a lot of people like it. 
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I went through a similar thing with hammond FA not that long ago. I kept coming back to wanting to buy it, but repeatedly heard from good SP players that Hammond FA was not good.  Not a lot of people like it. 

Hammond FA is terrible for me.  Not enough spin on serves and pushes, and control is worse than other similar rubbers that don't produce lots of spin either, such as Juic Offense Ultima, which is loads better than HFA at what it's designed to do...

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 11:24pm
802-40 on a clipper should be more than fast enough. If you are struggling with power then work on your timing and technique.
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 2:50am
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

802-40 on a clipper should be more than fast enough. If you are struggling with power then work on your timing and technique.

cpen hitters in china also get 802 national versions  and they never play with stock sponges prolly they  rip the sponge of a last generation tensor, but i got told that the secret is in the sponge..gao jun had national version of some SP and they were way different .
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 5:43am
If you have just switched from inverted rubber then chances are that you are trying to simply apply similar stroke mechanics with SP rubber, and from what I see it doesn't work this way. With inverted you normally use long swings to increase dwell time which lets you impart more spin - but both He Zhi Wen and Wang Zeng Yi attack with very short and quick, wristy movements - and their dwell is minimal (its like mini-smashes, and actually such shots are plenty fast even with inverted). My guess is that just changing the rubber - without adjusting the stroke mechanics for a hitting game - may not solve the problem for you.  
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Krantz Krantz wrote:

If you have just switched from inverted rubber then chances are that you are trying to simply apply similar stroke mechanics with SP rubber, and from what I see it doesn't work this way. With inverted you normally use long swings to increase dwell time which lets you impart more spin - but both He Zhi Wen and Wang Zeng Yi attack with very short and quick, wristy movements - and their dwell is minimal (its like mini-smashes, and actually such shots are plenty fast even with inverted). My guess is that just changing the rubber - without adjusting the stroke mechanics for a hitting game - may not solve the problem for you.  

Well I certainly have more experience with inverted but I have not just switched. Probably have a little over a year total of experience with SP. But broken up in time. :(  Certainly with more time on SP, that would improve as the learning curve is longer with SP vs Inverted. I probably play better currently with inverted but keep coming back to SP because I love them. They feel more crisp, accurate and I love the old school SP penholder days.

As far as stroke, I'm finding that I get good results when I change my stroke to a more compact arm bent, snap forward across my body type of stroke. Something similar as to pictured here.

My chest gets one crazy workout as that muscle seems to be the one working hard bringing the arm & shoulder through. It's certainly different from my other very Chinese, arm extended stroke, more body used (at least my opinion) type of stroke. 

I was just asking about sponge primarily because I'm playing this speed game yet my sponge is 35 degrees on my 802-40. To me that just didn't sound to match up so I was asking.

Edited by suds79 - 03/28/2014 at 9:21am
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 9:40am
Clipper Classic is not 7 plies Clipper, isn't it ? How heavy is your bat totally?
My two cents is your backhand rubber, change it to inverted rubber.
A setup of 802-40 2mm on Clipper 7plies (~90gr)+ any hard inverted rubber on BH, which is totally around 185grs, would be strong enough for FH shots, IMHO.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 12:16pm
Coming from the mind of a blade maker you might think about making the blade ( harder) by using a thicker version of super glue, i have used this idea several times.

It could make the 802-40 faster
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

I've watched HE Zhi Wen & Wang Zeng Yi play. Two well known penhold SP players. I believe they both use or have used 802. Honestly I don't know how they generate all the speed they do. Is it the sponge?

Consider that the ball weighs only 2.7g.  It really doesn't take that much force to make the ball go fast. So the first place I'd look is in improving your technique.  If you are below a 2000 level or so (or even above actually), I'm betting a good coach can show you where you can find some additional speed through technique.

Certainly, a different rubber or blade can be found that will give you more speed.  But there will probably be something else that suffers (control, spin ... something).
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Consider that the ball weighs only 2.7g.  It really doesn't take that much force to make the ball go fast. So the first place I'd look is in improving your technique.  If you are below a 2000 level or so (or even above actually), I'm betting a good coach can show you where you can find some additional speed through technique.

Certainly, a different rubber or blade can be found that will give you more speed.  But there will probably be something else that suffers (control, spin ... something).

and now whats using  wang zenyi

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 9:46pm
Yes let Cole glue up a harder sponge for you. Your stroke and blade are good.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

and now whats using  wang zenyi

Well, I guess I really don't care.  So I'm not really the person to direct this toward.  IMO, high level players use whatever they use to support a game that is so much stronger than most players on MYTT that I think it is hard to use their choices to inform us much on what we should use.

I think the OP's original question is kinda (though maybe not entirely) backwards or wrong minded.  802-40 is a fairly fast and spinny for a short pip rubber.  So if you are looking for more speed than you can get from 802-40, then finding something faster is probably not a solution  - if your goal is to play better.  A different rubber may certainly help you hit harder.  And if that is the goal independent from playing better (and why not if you enjoy slamming the ball), then by all means get a faster rubber.  Just don't kid yourself that it is likely to improve your game.  Buy it and have some fun hitting harder.

And it isn't that I don't think players (even at our lower levels) can benefit from tweaking their equipment choices.  They certainly can.  I just think that so long as the rubber is appropriate for the playing style they've chosen, most players would benefit lots more by pushing the envelope on what they can do with the rubber they are currently using (improve their technique)  before trying something else.  All too often, I think players are looking for the "quick fix" - which is generally non- existent if you've done the basics and are already using a rubber and blade suited to your general style of play.

BTW, I exempt true equipment junkies from most of the above comments.  I understand that they enjoy experimenting with equipment for its own sake.  And if that's your aim, then have at it.  I think it's perfectly fine to have fun being an EJ so long as you understand that's what your really doing.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2014 at 1:07am
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

[QUOTE=bbkon] . . .BTW, I exempt true equipment junkies from most of the above comments.  I understand that they enjoy experimenting with equipment for its own sake.  And if that's your aim, then have at it.  I think it's perfectly fine to have fun being an EJ so long as you understand that's what your really doing.

Is there a 12-step program in the PHX area for EJs? :-). Hi Jay!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic