FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: DHS Hurricane 3-50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 12:21am
Anyone still using this?  I like it on both forehand and backhand.  Livens up after some use.  Easier than the regular h3 neo, more forgiving, more dangerous on service.  Maybe I want something a little harder on forehand, but on backhand its a lot of fun.
Sponsored Links

berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 12:55am
i'm still playing with it on the forehand

you're right about it being more forgiving which i like. i can generate a lot of power with my swing so having the larger margin of error is nice

and the serve is seriously killer on this, the spin is great!

so yeah definitely still using it, it's awesome
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 4:51am
I just tuned it with 4 layer of falco tempo long, one layer each day. IMO i tuned too much heavily so It´s got a terrible dome since and  it´s almost imposible to stick it on the slippery surface of RW5. I guess i have to wait a few days more till the dome goes down a little bit. Once tuned it becomes into a speed-demon, bouncy as ESN and still keeps the original tack. Sound is definitely LOUD.

Quality of this sheet has NOTHING to do with h3 neo commertial, this one is far away better though different.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 9:16am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I just tuned it with 4 layer of falco tempo long, one layer each day. IMO i tuned too much heavily so It´s got a terrible dome since and  it´s almost imposible to stick it on the slippery surface of RW5. I guess i have to wait a few days more till the dome goes down a little bit. Once tuned it becomes into a speed-demon, bouncy as ESN and still keeps the original tack. Sound is definitely LOUD.

Quality of this sheet has NOTHING to do with h3 neo commertial, this one is far away better though different.

4 layers of long!!! Good night man consider this THE TEST for how durable H 3-50 is. Hope that doesn't bubble on you.

Report back to us in a month after you glue that on how it performs. Tongue

Edited by suds79 - 05/02/2014 at 9:16am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2014 at 2:58am
Well, at last  i could try it a while this evening. Definitely once tuned the rubber turns into a beast. Never heard any high- pitched with louder rubber than this, it was like old gen rubber glued with that bike tyres speed-glue.

Speed is great and as well as spin. Loads of spin  at services and shines at blocking. Great control. Hitting is great also, but i think this 37º once tuned has become  too soft and mushy for my personal taste. 

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2014 at 7:25am
Anyone else seeing durability problems with the topsheet? I have H3 NEO on a different blade and it looks like new after a similar amount of use where H3-50 looks like it's been in a war.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 5:30pm
It has been almost 3 week since i tuned it heavily. It´s still really fast, it has kept quite well tunning effect. Topsheet is LIKE new, at this time i would surely have ruined any H3 comercial.

I think this h3-50 can fit on FAST-Bouncy blades as a BH rubber, because it´s the less "Hurricane" of all,  once tuned it´s fast and bouncy enough but still keeps some of the chinese properties. Those who have a hard time at blocking may find a great ally on H3-50 on their BH.

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 8:23pm
I might have just got some bad samples but the black topsheet looks awful.  I mostly like the way it plays, but it's the most worn looking of all the rubber I have despite <20 hours of play time.  The red sheet on the same blade is still in good shape but it feels like there's sand in the sponge.  Meh, probably not going to stick with it.  

Good luck with yours! 
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 9:04pm
ttnpp is selling it now, I got a sheet of 35 degree there to test on the backhand.

As for looks, I had a few that were cloudy but played the same.
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 9:45pm
the topsheet looks like it's been fighting a bear, but i havent noticed it affect the play of the rubber
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2015 at 12:52am
i was disappointed with the H3-50 soft. when i opened and pressed the sponge it wasn't even close to medium hardness. it was very hard like a 40 degree dhs rubber! has anyone tried the h3-50 soft? also when i weighed the rubber on a digital weighing scale it was 79 grams uncut!
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2015 at 1:19am
I have a red H3-50 soft and it has about the same hardness of T05 when pressed. Definitely soft in terms of Chinese rubber. I only use WBG and no tuning to soft it up.
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2015 at 2:25am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

i was disappointed with the H3-50 soft. when i opened and pressed the sponge it wasn't even close to medium hardness. it was very hard like a 40 degree dhs rubber! has anyone tried the h3-50 soft? also when i weighed the rubber on a digital weighing scale it was 79 grams uncut!

Yogi thanks a lot for this information.I know that in the backhand is difficult to play with a chinese rubber, so I decided to buy a soft version of the H3 and put it at my backhand of a tamca5000 blade which is really fast.I am returning after many months to table tennis because of my injury and I would like something with a lot of spin and a lot of control in order to be easier for me to play after long time.But I think that this plan of getting a H3-50 SOFT on my backhand, is sinking!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2015 at 3:53am
i wish they never labelled it as soft. because for example the memo 3 which is medium in hardness is wayyy softer than the h3-50 soft! DHS is trying to scam us! the topsheet quality is very good and not so tacky. i will play with it once the dome lessens
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Alwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2015 at 7:32pm
For anyone still using this, how does it hold up?

I'm considering getting a sheet for my backhand, but I don't want to have to replace it every few months. I play maybe 4-5 hours (2 sessions) a week and generally take good care of my rubbers - plastic protectors and regularly clean with water and sponge.
T05H | HL5 | TG3-60
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2015 at 3:07am
Better get TG3-60 if you can. It is lighter and better. Suppose XX and ML are both using this #60 yellow sponge H3 for BH now.
Alwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2015 at 3:12am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Better get TG3-60 if you can. It is lighter and better. Suppose XX and ML are both using this #60 yellow sponge H3 for BH now.

Do you know how the TG3-60 compares to other newer rubbers from DHS? I was also tempted to get tin arc 3 or 5, but I can't find anywhere local that stocks it yet. Hopefully I can contain myself and won't go on a massive spending spree if I go to China for holidays at the end of the year.

Edited by Alwin - 04/06/2015 at 3:32am
T05H | HL5 | TG3-60
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2015 at 4:38am
Somehow I don't like both red sponge TA3 and H3-50. I can't get much out of these two rubbers, not even control. TA3 is also fragile among DHS rubbers.

TA5 is quite powerful and spiny. Only drawback might probably be the weight. Can be used on FH or BH.

TG3-60 might be too soft to use as a FH rubber for many. Yet most may not like a tacky BH either. But if you do then it is quite rewarding. Think of what XX and ML can do with something similar! It is nice to see the world number 1 and 2 move away from Tenergy and still rules.

Edited by TurboZ - 04/06/2015 at 4:39am
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2015 at 1:50pm
Is TG3-60 sponge harder than H3-50?
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2015 at 6:38pm
I have H3-50 Soft and TG3-60 Mid. The H3 feels harder by the touch. They are suppose to be 35 to 37 degree. In fact TT11 market the "Mid" as "Mid Hard" but they are actually mark as "Mid Soft" in Chinese on the package.

Edited by TurboZ - 04/06/2015 at 6:38pm
Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 12:21pm
Just got a sheet of H3-50 today. Glued it up to on my Adidas Accelum High Speed Carbon.

Here are my initial impression from playing 2 hours with my father. I was not able to go at full power so take my impression with a grain of salt.

Appearance:  This rubber does not have the funky smell of the Neos which suggest this is not tuned. The sponge is rough and very porous, it is almost as porous as the Tenzone glued on the BH side of my blade. Squishing the sheet between my fingers the rubber feels very soft. None of the Neos come close to the softness.  If my memory serves me right, it feels as soft/firm as a brand new Tenzone. The topsheet looks of high quality. It is tacky, it can pickup a ball for a second.

Feel: On my particular blade, the rubber feels very good. It gives very good feedback therefore control has improved. It is bouncier compared to my previous rubber - TG3 Neo. Although it doesn't feel the fastest nor the most powerful among the Neos I have tried, it sure is the easiest to play. I was very relaxed. I had a very fun time playing with it. It is also very forgiving. With the TG3 Neo you have to be very conscious of our bat angle and your power output, with the H3-50 you can just take your shot and the ball will land at the other end of the table. Even when I am out of position I can simply flick my wrist to give it a good amount of spin to land the ball safely.

Speed: Compared to TG3 Neo, power shots does not seem to be as powerful but it is not slow by any means. It is quite fast actually. But their speed is different. I am guessing the TG3 flies in a straighter trajectory therefore covering point A to B faster. Slower shots are easier to execute with the H3-50, probably because of the better hand feel.

Blocking: Very very good. The rebound is very predictable and stable. My dad enjoyed this a lot because I was able to block all his shots until he ran out of gas. :) It also seems less spin sensitive.

Looping: When looping I notice I had to relax more and execute a more compact stroke to land the ball consistently. Because of this, I find this rubber less tiring to use. The spin generated is equal to the TG3 but it spins the ball easier. A simple flick of the wrist is enough to generate good spin.

Serving: Seems very spiny. It is easy to keep the ball low and short.

All in all, I am enjoying the rubber so far. It is very easy to play. It has excellent control and feel. If it plays like this after my first training session, I might switch my BH from Tenzone to this rubber.

I will come back to this thread after my first training session with this rubber in a couple of weeks.

Tuly007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuly007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2015 at 7:17pm
Machine-head are u still using the h3-50...btw was it the soft or the mid hard one....????.am getting one Monday , have ever used anything to make livelier ???? How is the tackiness after a month of usage....tnx!

Btw I did liked the Spinart and tg3 neo with some Falco long oil on the zjk alc....
The 3-50 I plan to use on Joola ROssi emotion , avenger 5 and Tibhar furious that I just used today first time with boosted T05 and 05fx and although the Furious is very soft and flexible for being a 7 ply blade has a great feel ,   I do plan on buying a couple more of the same....

Edited by Tuly007 - 09/20/2015 at 7:26pm
still testing

Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2015 at 9:56pm
@Tuly007 - i have switched to anoter setup for a month alreary. I am not sure which version i got because the sponge nor the box has any labels regarding the sponge hardness. But from pressing the rubber, i think the one i got was mid hard.

On the blade i used it on, i found the rubber to be a lot more lively compared to h3 and tg3 neo. After a month of use the top sheet is still quite tacky but not tacky enough to lift a ball though. Compared to the neos i like the h3-50 the most. It is quicker,better at block and in my opinion has better feel. The only thing it does less compared to the neos is spin. The spin is less but it is still spinny enough to cause trouble to your opponent.

Let me know how you like yours.
GTeaLatte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTeaLatte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2016 at 11:02am
I just had a hit with the h3-50 2.15mm black 37° on a rw nct 7 coming from big dipper 38°. Tbh i wasn't expecting much because of the complaints that it seemed slow and bottoms out. However i didn't experience any of that. Perhaps the hard surface of rosewood nct 7 complimented the rubber well, but it seemed bouncy enough, no where near the level of tensors of course. However, i had a REALLY easy time with opening up loops and flicks over the table. The arc when looping mid distance (5-6 ft off the table) was mid-low and the ball dipped BEAUTIFULLY after clearing the net. More so than the big dipper that previously lived on my fh. Of course, this rubber rewards active shots, and i found the arc dips much much better when brush looping as opposed to the more forwardish motion when using tensors. I feel the h3-50 does not feel as "dead" as my big dipper, and passive shots are still playable. The only shot that was slow was the slow loop used with an extremely thin contact, almost 100% brush, near the table. It seemed as if the ball traveled in slow motion, giving my opponent time to prepare his counter-hit.

Overall, i would say the h3-50 is slower than the big dipper and h3 neo, but nowhere as slow as some people made it out to be. The spin capabilities seem to be the same as both h3 and BD, if not just a tiny bit less. The highlights of this rubber lies in its amazing control and feel in short play, while still rewarding active brush strokes. The rubber requires a harder, possibly stiffer blade to really shine (i can see how it might feel slow on a softer surface). Of course this rubber shouldn't be compared to tensors as the h3-50 is a different type of rubber for a different type of playstyle. If you are looking for a rubber which rewards active shots and brush looping, but isn't as "dead" as other chinese rubbers, i would seriously suggest giving h3-50 a try!

Note: these are just my personal opinions after playing for 3 hrs with the rubber. Btw, as said previously, the topsheet wears super quick and looks bad already only after 3 hrs of play. However, i dont think it affects performance. If you like beautiful topsheets, this wouldnt be the rubber for you!
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2016 at 11:26am
Good review GTeaLatte, my h3-50 played beautifully with 1 layer of FTL but the booster effect wore off quickly and without it the rubber felt a bit slow on my blade but not as bad as some people reviewed it.

I'm in the process of boosting my sheet with 2 layers of FTL to test it out.

Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
GTeaLatte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTeaLatte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2016 at 1:18pm
Thanks for the kind words! I've never boosted before so i dont know the difference. For me personally i feel with the proper blade there is no need to boost the rubber. Great to see someone who is enjoying the h3-50 as well! I will probably stick with it for a few months to see how long a sheet lasts. Hopefully the ugly topsheet has no relation to the rubber's longetivity!
Stiga Rosewood NCT V
FH: Stiga Genesis M red
BH: Stiga Mantra S black
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 6:22am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

I had a session last night with the red sheet on the Viscaria.

Short game was very similar to H3N. Perhaps a little bouncier on totally dead balls. Serving excellent.

On faster, loopier strokes, the throw is higher than H3N. For me - this makes it a safer rubber to use than H3N. When you're stretched and on the run, and the ball drops below the table, it's a lot easier to pick the ball up and bring it back down with spin. It has more all-round quality than H3N. Easier to keep the ball on the table.

However, you do lose power in heavy drive shots, that's for sure. It's not a great 3rd ball attack rubber like H3N is. And it's too slow for my BH side, which was the original idea. I felt it blocked well, and service return over the table was great, but mainly because it was slow and brushing spin was high. In faster BH rallies, it was just too slow to be threatening. I could get used to it (and it would benefit from a harder blade), but I'm just less effective with it than my regular BH rubbers. I ended up using it on the FH side more last night.

If you're already a traditional H3 specialist, I doubt you'll like H3-50. You lose something of a main feature of H3N - power over the table. If your game is based around setting up a hard kill shot, H3-50 does not help.

However, I can't play like this these days. So on a fast blade, I definitely prefer H3-50 over H3N. You get an awesome short game, impressive spin and tight control for serves, good countering, and higher throw on hard strokes to help a touch with playing from distance or when on the run. So I'm giving it serious consideration for the FH side.

All of this is vanilla, unboosted. I may use the black sheet on the FH, and boost the red sheet as an experiment.

Do you still feel its too slow on backhand with plastic ball?
I tried it last night on my new Allround Evolution and was surprised how easy it was too flat hit, but I was also surprised how many times my opponent returned. I know I need to wait for the tack too wear off a bit, but hitting with it really surprised me, I'm not sure it was as spinny as H3N or H3 but this might be because it was slower in speed but same spin, it was easier to return?
Felt very stable in short game and serve return.
Probably need to give it a couple of weeks before making a final assessment.
This was all backhand use!
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 6:49am
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

Do you still feel its too slow on backhand with plastic ball?
I tried it last night on my new Allround Evolution and was surprised how easy it was too flat hit, but I was also surprised how many times my opponent returned. I know I need to wait for the tack too wear off a bit, but hitting with it really surprised me, I'm not sure it was as spinny as H3N or H3 but this might be because it was slower in speed but same spin, it was easier to return?
Felt very stable in short game and serve return.
Probably need to give it a couple of weeks before making a final assessment.
This was all backhand use!

On a slow blade, yes - too slow for my BH.  I'm used to faster, bouncier rubbers and it's too much of a change for me.  It's good on faster, bouncier blades though.

If you feel that it's fast enough on the Evo then it's fast enough!
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 6:56am
Hmm, I'm not sure yet, like earlier stated need to try it for a few weeks really before making a decision.
Its certainly different to what I expected
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 7:31am
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

Hmm, I'm not sure yet, like earlier stated need to try it for a few weeks really before making a decision.
Its certainly different to what I expected

It should speed up a touch once the initial tack is gone, but yes - you need to give it time.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic