tabletennis11.com

Kill Shot ADVICE NEEDED!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kill Shot ADVICE NEEDED!
    Posted: 04/10/2014 at 11:25pm

Which technique and rubber is best for putting away high kill shots that are loaded with incoming underspin?

Edited by tommyzai - 04/11/2014 at 12:50am
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 12:22am
I preferred the original post - it made it clear that you didn't want to hear the  truth.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 12:23am
This is a problem I have been analyzing in my game also.  I have come to the conclusion that for the kill over the table you need to use an entirely different stroke.  Because better players do not hit back the kind of short high balls you are talking about often, coaching discussions aimed at higher level players usually do not discuss this stroke and you do not see it being hit much if any when watching professional players play.  

In my opinion it requires somewhat of a modified flick kill shot.  You need to step in with your playing hand foot (right foot for right handed players).  Additionally you need to not step in towards the ball, but instead step in so you are on the opposite side of the ball from your playing hand (for righties you need to step in well left of the ball).  You then use the shorter flick type stroke using no body rotation, a little movement at the shoulder, and lots of movement of the forearm.   Unlike the regular flick stroke where you put you hand below the elbow, you want to do this one with the hand a little above the elbow so that the forearm snap is slightly down (more down for high balls and topspin return and less down for lower balls and balls with slight underspin).  

Try to find some pro footage where a player really pops up a short return of serve and watch how the server does his kill on that really high short pop-up return. 

When the high ball is deep enough that the top of the bounce is within a foot or so of the endline then you can revert to using a more conventional Fh drive type technique to make the kill.

As always, if a real coach tells you different please follow their advice and not mine.  Hope this does help get you thinking about a slightly different way to approach this kill shot.

Mark

Edit - PS  Sorry but I do not have a specific rubber suggestion.  I am able to miss those kills with anything I play with.

Edited by mjamja - 04/11/2014 at 12:31am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 12:33am
By the way, isn't a question about rubbers supposed to be in the equipment forum?

Generally, a high ball will get a more consistent smash from a less spin reactive rubber.  On the other hand, it is harder to generate spin with a less spin reactive rubber so the smash is less stable.  So the question is how much spin you need to generate on other strokes.

However, for smashing technique, coaching is unavoidable (I know you didn't want to hear this but I had to say it).  Not so much coaching, but practice.  I would recommend a less spinny short pip and lots of practice.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 2:02am
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Which technique and rubber is best for putting away high kill shots that are loaded with incoming underspin?

Without going into any analysis/details, I can tell you this.  Go watch 3 players for technique: Liu Guoliang, Johnny Huang, and He Zhi Wen.  They all use short pips.Big smile
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 3:22am
was liu Guoliang a high ball hitter? anyway all players from the past
 I think Tommy has tried every rubber in the World anyway
 but have a rubber for 1 shot seems strange to me anyhow softer sponge rubbers/ short pips or anything really if the ball is high , just practice 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 3:59am
@ tommyzai - Relax playing arm, then take your arm far backwards...

Drive through from legs to smash the ball. Your power will cancel out most of the spin. ...

Top players are known to twiddle their bats to the Euro/ Japanese side when smashing really high balls...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 5:31am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

but have a rubber for 1 shot seems strange to me...just practice

+1
Just use your usual smashing technique but open the angle of your blade more.
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

. . . Top players are known to twiddle their bats to the Euro/ Japanese side when smashing really high balls...

I'm half tempted to twiddle to my LP/OX that is on the BH for this . . . I couldn't do any worse.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 4:49pm
Tommyzai!! can I ask a question that's off topic? 
Where are you working as an animator if you don't mind me asking. 
I'm an animator too!

Cheers!

F.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

. . . Where are you working as an animator if you don't mind me asking.

I'm not really an animator. I'm a licensed psychotherapist, ESL teacher, and music producer. 
:-).
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 7:15pm

practice, practice, practice    ..... :)

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2014 at 12:49pm

Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

. . . Top players are known to twiddle their bats to the Euro/ Japanese side when smashing really high balls...

I'm half tempted to twiddle to my LP/OX that is on the BH for this . . . I couldn't do any worse.
It is good to be able to twiddle quickly.

Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2014 at 5:07pm
If a high short ball is loaded with heavy underspin - and since it is high you want to hit it (not use topspin) - then hit normally (open forward motion) - use a lot of force - as much as you can / have - and aim slightly long / off the table - the underspin will pull the ball down - since you aimed off the table it will clear the net... but as there is the underspin pulling it - it will go down and nicely land - normally a safe distance away from the edge. 

The most effective kills / smashes are with slightly harder rubbers - not rock hard - but harder than most tensors I have seen or tried. 

When you master the stright kill - right before you hit the ball flick the wrist (like a whip motion) it will add direction and even more sharpness- it becomes hard to miss these once you have it covered.

This is if most of your kills were ending up in the net (I assume so because you mentioned underspin) - if your kills are ending long it is different - just keep same power but close the angle more - the face of the bat has to be "looking" just above the white tape of the net with a forward / downward motion - flat hit - this is true for no or little spin balls. 

Summary:
imagine the face of the bat had eyes:
no or little spin - bat looks just above white tape of net
underspin - bat looks just off the edge of the table

in both cases HARD forward and slightly downward motion.

Once mastered add whip motion with your wrist if desired.

practising 30 kills per day for 5/6 days (bounce the ball for yourself) is enough to master this basic shot... the adaptation for underspin is logical and will come naturally.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2014 at 8:44pm
Great stuff! Keep it coming. This thread is becoming the ultimate KILL SHOT tutorial!
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2014 at 1:58am
Slap shot.

Like that

Of course, younger people are more flexible and will do it better.

PS. Slap shot with underspin is simply impossible.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2014 at 8:49am
Open blade full, swing forward with pace. Hit ball SOLIDLY while high, closer to net gives more room for error. Against heavier underspin, finish follow thru higher.

Coach McAfee talks about this shot a long time ago.

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2014 at 12:32pm
According to BH-Man, "Coach McAfee talks about this shot a long time ago . . . ."

Here's how!

1. Make contact with the ball at the top of its, bounce. Once the ball begins to fall it cannot be hit. It must be spun.

2. The contact point on the ball is the center or slightly below the center of the ball. The heavier the under spin, the lower the contact point.

3. Make "force", not friction, when you contact the ball.

4. The direction of the racket is forward and up (push up at contact).

5. The heavier the under spin the more you should accelerate your racket through the ball.

6. Stroke towards your target.

Edited by tommyzai - 04/13/2014 at 12:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic