Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suitable Tenergy Rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suitable Tenergy Rubber?
    Posted: 04/16/2014 at 6:22am
I'm going to buy a sheet of Tenergy tomorrow from tt-japan, and was wandering, what's the best suitable Tenergy rubber, in terms of blocking, opening loops and mid-far distance loops. I'm looking for a tad more control > speed, but not really wanting to buy the fx version. 

It's going to be on my FH on the TBS.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

channyboi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channyboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 6:28am
What happened to the rosewood :o

05 for forehand definitely, just hands down 05.
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 6:30am
Originally posted by channyboi channyboi wrote:

What happened to the rosewood :o

05 for forehand definitely, just hands down 05.

I sold it. It was too frustrating for me to glue the rubbers down.

I was going to keep it but the instant I put it up, it got sold!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 6:30am
It's all a personal thing. Discounting the FX sponges:

Blocking - T80
Opening Loop - T05
Mid-far Loop - T05

I like T80's easier behaviour over the table for blocking, but that's just me. I'd say go with T05.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 6:33am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Blocking - T80
Opening Loop - T05
Mid-far Loop - T05

I like T80's easier behaviour over the table for blocking, but that's just me. I'd say go with T05.

Thanks! I have the T05 on my other blade on my backhand, and it's quite hard to block with it, where it'd just go over the table half the time. Other than that, it's great but I've never used the T80 so I'm in a mix here.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 6:37am
T05 is quite easy to block with once you accept that it is trying to suck up all the spin on the incoming ball and you can be active with it with good results. There is also the problem of people using faster blades than they can control but I digress.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/16/2014 at 6:38am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 6:44am
Originally posted by TonyL TonyL wrote:

Blocking - T80
Opening Loop - T05
Mid-far Loop - T05

Thanks! I have the T05 on my other blade on my backhand, and it's quite hard to block with it, where it'd just go over the table half the time. Other than that, it's great but I've never used the T80 so I'm in a mix here.

NextLevel is quite right - you'd get used to T05 eventually. It hurts you if you play passively - T80 gives you more scope for error, but is less effective in the looping parts of the game. Nothing is ever perfect!
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 6:46am

Originally posted by TonyL TonyL wrote:

Blocking - T80
Opening Loop - T05
Mid-far Loop - T05

NextLevel is quite right - you'd get used to T05 eventually. It hurts you if you play passively - T80 gives you more scope for error, but is less effective in the looping parts of the game. Nothing is ever perfect!

I guess I'll be going with the Tenergy 05 and train harder to stop the habit of playing passive. (When someone loops, I have an instinct to block that loop no matter what.)
GraemeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraemeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 7:18am
I have played with T05 (and 05FX) for many years in the past and have recently switched to T80 1.9mm on FH and have also practiced with it on my backhand.

I would have say that T80 provides the perfect balance of spin, speed and trajectory for my strokes and game. Once the present season finishes I'm going back to double inverted after 2 and a half years with LP on BH, and T80 will be my backhand rubber. Like yourself I always found T05 a little hot on my BH but find that I am able to block, counterdrive and loop very effectively with T80.

For my perspective, decisions on rubbers (and blades) need to be made pragmatically and not idealistically. In other words, what are we capable of as opposed to what is the rubber or blade capable of. Perhaps T05 might give you a touch more spin and reward very active blocking/countering at the table, however that requires a very high level of footwork and co-ordination to be able to maximise that consistently. Indeed this is true of all rubbers to a greater or lesser extent - there is no true substitute for quality drilling and match related practice.

The main thing is to make your decision pragmatically, stick with it, and practice!

Edited by GraemeW - 04/16/2014 at 7:19am
Butterfly Korbel ST
Red FH: BTY Tenergy T80 1.9mm
Black BH: TSP Curl P4 1.5mm
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 7:22am
Originally posted by GraemeW GraemeW wrote:

I have played with T05 (and 05FX) for many years in the past and have recently switched to T80 1.9mm on FH and have also practiced with it on my backhand.

I would have say that T80 provides the perfect balance of spin, speed and trajectory for my strokes and game. Once the present season finishes I'm going back to double inverted after 2 and a half years with LP on BH, and T80 will be my backhand rubber. Like yourself I always found T05 a little hot on my BH but find that I am able to block, counterdrive and loop very effectively with T80.

For my perspective, decisions on rubbers (and blades) need to be made pragmatically and not idealistically. In other words, what are we capable of as opposed to what is the rubber or blade capable of. Perhaps T05 might give you a touch more spin and reward very active blocking/countering at the table, however that requires a very high level of footwork and co-ordination to be able to maximise that consistently. Indeed this is true of all rubbers to a greater or lesser extent - there is no true substitute for quality drilling and match related practice.

The main thing is to make your decision pragmatically, stick with it, and practice!

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I guess the T80 is a touch lesser than the T05, but rewards with more forgiveness. I'll have my mind sorted out by tomorrow! 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 7:33am
For what its worth, T80 is a good rubber. T05 is extremely reactive to spin, but that should not be confused with being hard to block with. T05 real danger is that once you get used to it, it is really hard to accept substitutes. Also, level of opponent and amount of spin on your play are key.

When I switched to T05, the first thing that broke down was my forehand block. So I started using my counterlooping angle for my forehand block. T05 can teach you a lot if you continue to play to learn, that's all I gotta say. Because when you are playing that higher rated player whose spin is killing you, even if you can't control it T05, T80 will not be your savior. The understanding of spin manipulation will be.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/16/2014 at 7:37am
Cybershape Carbon
channyboi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channyboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 8:27am
As a general rule of thumb, your blocking should never be affected by your equipment. That being said, certain rubbers offer different amounts of room for error. 

Blocking takes practise no matter what but you should emphasise the timing of your blocks. You're almost guaranteed to hit it out if you contact the ball when it's ascending, because that's when it is the spinniest. Block it at the top of it's bounce, and angle your racket accordingly, another common mistake is having an arm too stiff and hitting it too hard. 
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 11:57am
I am a huge fan of T64FX and T05FX. There is this weirdness here that the FX versions are inferior. Only a pro can say that if it effects only their game. Everyone else suck it up and try a few sheets you may actually like it. Our state champion switched to T64FX exclusively from regular T64 and raves about.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

channyboi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channyboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I am a huge fan of T64FX and T05FX. There is this weirdness here that the FX versions are inferior. Only a pro can say that if it effects only their game. Everyone else suck it up and try a few sheets you may actually like it. Our state champion switched to T64FX exclusively from regular T64 and raves about.

I concur, they are by no means inferior. Personally for me it takes away the feel I like from tenergy but alot of people in my club use 05FX on their backhand or forehand, and they do very well with it.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 2:30pm

There is nothing wrong with the FX versions.  They are high quality rubbers.  However, for T05 FX, I have never understood why it seems far more linear than T05.  T05 just has that super high throw and T05FX just has a regular throw - I wouldn't switch from Narucross GS to 05 FX. But maybe even the one good sheet I had had other issues.

Tenergy rubbers are good, but the one that wows me is 05.  The rest, I could pretty much use another rubber and feel okay.  With 05, I play without regard for anything but my drive to drive.  I have it on an ALL/ALL+ blade so that might be why I feel so comfortable with it.
Cybershape Carbon
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 2:43pm
Agree regular T05 does have the "wow" factor. If I trained more frequently I would be using it. FX version is much better for my level.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Agree regular T05 does have the "wow" factor. If I trained more frequently I would be using it. FX version is much better for my level.
Of course it is when you use an OFF blade.
Cybershape Carbon
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 3:50pm
nobody use 64?
Avallo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 11:28am
for me blocking using 64 is very great... for mid far it is okay too (better than 05 for me)
but for open loop, it depends on your style, if you only need to break the game 64 is enough
an indonesian tennis table maniac

MY FEEDBACK

Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 4:01pm
I like T64 better than 05 for blocking and many other things.

I agree that 64 is better for mid to far range. 05 seems to drop way too fast for me. Maybe I put too much spin on my loops haha.

As far as opening loops, you will have to adjust your stoke for either one. Close to the table I can slow loop very well with the 64, though I imagine 05 would be a little better for this. Regular opening loops I would be fine with either one.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 4:31pm
Hmmm... seems like we have been invaded by a bunch of T64 users/fans.  People, there is nothing special about T64.  It is a good rubber but I can find 20 other rubbers, whether Calibras or Nanospins, that give me similar performance from distance with maybe a tad less spin.

T05 is something that ruins your whole approach to the game.  IF you get used to it, you only have 1 or 2 rubbers you can switch to after that.
Cybershape Carbon
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 6:36pm

If I were a pro and 20 something years old, trained 5 days a week I would be using T05. But alias I'm a fossil, move like a sloth, blind in one eye, and think about McDonalds and naked woman during tournament matches so T05FX or T64FX is good enough for me.   
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 7:41pm
I use 25 in fh and it's alright.
but I could also use 05 or 64.
the differences between them are so small that it's rather trivial.
if you want to go safe go for 05.
I think most use 05 because it's the first one to come out and it's the one that most pros use.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Hmmm... seems like we have been invaded by a bunch of T64 users/fans.  People, there is nothing special about T64.  It is a good rubber but I can find 20 other rubbers, whether Calibras or Nanospins, that give me similar performance from distance with maybe a tad less spin.

T05 is something that ruins your whole approach to the game.  IF you get used to it, you only have 1 or 2 rubbers you can switch to after that.
don't you just stay at the table and reach? not everyone plays the same style
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 7:49pm
In actual fact why recommend any tenergy to a younger kid doing limited training
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 7:49pm
Go with the most expensive Tenergy, you will never be wrong. Your coach will be impressed (if you bought it from her), your mates will be impressed (maybe jealous), and your BACK will LOVE you, as the wallet (and hence load on Ur back) got lighter! You also got prestige and stuff to tout around. 
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 8:08pm
Heck, let the kid play wit Tenergyz... he's only a KID once. let it wreck hiz touch on 99% of any other rubber he will use later, don't tell him it will ruin him, why spoil hiz childhood too early? Let 'em figure it out when he is chasing girlfriends.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 8:14pm

Edited by TonyL - 03/05/2015 at 8:36pm
Avallo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

i use 05 and 64, i love both of them ^^

maybe it's not special because it's about your style play bro...

let's check the BH of world Top player

Jun Mizutani (JPN)
R: Mizutani Jun (ST)
F: Tenergy 80
B: Tenergy 64

Liqin Wang (CHN)
R: Hurricane King (FL)
F: Hurricane III NEO

Jike Zhang (CHN)
R: Viscaria (FL)
F: Hurricane III NEO

Long Ma (CHN)
R: DHS W968 (FL)
F: Hurricane III Blue Sponge

Xin Xu (CHN)
R: Stiga Intensity NCT (Cpen)
F: Hurricane III Blue Sponge

Chih-Yuan, Chuang (CHN)
R: Viscaria (FL)
F: Tenergy 05

Niwa Koki (JPN)
R: Amultart (FL)
F: Tenergy 25

if there is nothing special for you, it's no problem as long as it is suitable for me and them

hahaha

an indonesian tennis table maniac

MY FEEDBACK

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 12:31am
Avallo,

We can all invent facts to back up our arguments.  I've read elsewhere that ZJK uses T05FX and that Ma Long uses T05 and that Mizutani uses T64 on the forehand.  And of course, we all know that like me, Timo Boll uses T05 both sides, as do a lot of pros in Europe probably because they got the first batch of T05 and never changed.

In any case, I stand by my statement that T64 is good rubber, but it is like a lot of other longer throw rubbers out there.  It has Tenergy level reliability, and that's about it.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic