Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how does LP's pips density affect play

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how does LP's pips density affect play
    Posted: 04/20/2014 at 6:08pm
I boosted one of my LPs for fun. The sheet is completely spoiled. However, the density of pips is less than before. Just wonder how does long pimples' pips density affect play??LOLLOLLOL
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2014 at 8:55pm
I don't understand how treating affects the pips. Perhaps you're saying the sponge softened?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2014 at 9:45pm
Carl Prean used to speed-glue his long pips back in the day...

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2014 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I don't understand how treating affects the pips. Perhaps you're saying the sponge softened?

sry, it is ox. a pic is worth a thousand words, the upper is the non-boosted LP OX sheet. You can see the boosted LP(OX) 's pips are bigger than the non-boosted pips as well LOL.

Edited by Egghead - 04/20/2014 at 9:49pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 12:10am
So you're treating the pips. I don't know that boosted is the right word, but I'm not that into lp.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 3:25am

if you stretch the sheet  the pips will be more separated and the disturbing effect will be be greater
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 7:36am
you can actually boost the rubber itself, not just the sponge.. If you use certain oils, the pips will actually grow. Well, it's not just the pips but the entire rubber grows with certain oils. I once produced a DAWEI 388 D-1 with 3mm long pips (they are less than 2 mm out of the box).. I tried it in training but it was so fast that it was almost impossible to control..  It might be ideal for a chopper but it SUCKS for a long pips blocker.. Way too fast..

Edited by Pushblocker - 04/21/2014 at 7:37am
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 7:39am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

if you stretch the sheet  the pips will be more separated and the disturbing effect will be be greater
Any type of stretching will usually increase speed, no matter if it happened with manual stretching or with oils etc.

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 7:40am

So you're treating the pips. I don't know that boosted is the right word, but I'm not that into lp.
Well, boosting IS treating, no matter if it's done on inverted or pips..
Funny thing is that this type of treating is LEGAL on inverted  if the factory does it.. LOL

Edited by Pushblocker - 04/21/2014 at 7:41am

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 7:52am
Are there pips size regulations on inverted?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 8:17am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Are there pips size regulations on inverted?
Theoretically, yes, in real life, no..

I believe that the topsheet (base sheet and pimples (even inverted had pimples, just on the inside) may not exceed 2 mm. However, the devices used to measure rubber thickness only measure sponge and top sheet together. 
I remember back when Tibhar had to change the length of their long pips as some of them would exceed 2 mm in length (that's topsheet and pimple combined). Some people were disqualified for a untreated rubber as they were too long from the factory. However, nobody using sponge instead of OX was ever disqualified for the topsheet being too thick as they only measure a total and not just the topsheet.. In OX however, it becomes clear if the topsheet  is too thick.
As inverted comes always with a sponge (not legal without), only total thickness is measuered.

Anyways, if it's really obvious (as for example the 3 mm pips that I produced), they will find a way to disqualify someone.. 

Edited by Pushblocker - 04/21/2014 at 8:19am

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic