Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T80

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T80
    Posted: 04/24/2014 at 12:16am
anyone who's tried T80, are you still sticking with it or did you change back to T05 or T64?

reason is bc I usually play T64 bh but I briefly tried T05 on bh and eventually got used to it. after changing back, i find T64 too soft, not enough spin, not really good for power looping. on the plus side, i get better control and more speed.

i'm not sure if i should switch to T80 as something in between.
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Sponsored Links

Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 12:36am
Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

anyone who's tried T80, are you still sticking with it or did you change back to T05 or T64?

reason is bc I usually play T64 bh but I briefly tried T05 on bh and eventually got used to it. after changing back, i find T64 too soft, not enough spin, not really good for power looping. on the plus side, i get better control and more speed.

i'm not sure if i should switch to T80 as something in between.

Try it. You only live once   Beer
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
SeeReed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 1:41am
Since you tried T05. Maybe we can help you more if you can explain what is your reason that you think T80 will be better for your game? or what you are looking for that T05 can not provide you?     
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 1:51am
I actually like it very much. It's just a very nice balance. I really feel like it's the best of both and not the worst of both. The spin of 05 and directness of 64. 

I started with T64, went to T05, and am now settled on T80. I don't plan on switching, I'll just keep re-buying it as needed. It's as easy to use as any, but fills the spin that I think is missing a bit from T64. It's a better active playing rubber than T64 as it has a firmer feel and is more balanced. It's more similar to 05 than 64. So imagine 05 with a bit less jump and more direct feeling, but about as much spin. I didn't like it at first, but after adjusting to it ended up being more pleased with it. I started using 80 last summer before the LA open. It's become a pretty popular choice on the BH. 
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 2:02am
Tenergy 80 is very good for the short game and service receive, and that is why most people stick to it it gives you confidence. 05 can really spin anything above the table that is where 80 need more talent. 64 you have to step back in order to spin with a full stroke.
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
GraemeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraemeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 4:32am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I actually like it very much. It's just a very nice balance. I really feel like it's the best of both and not the worst of both. The spin of 05 and directness of 64. 

I started with T64, went to T05, and am now settled on T80. I don't plan on switching, I'll just keep re-buying it as needed. It's as easy to use as any, but fills the spin that I think is missing a bit from T64. It's a better active playing rubber than T64 as it has a firmer feel and is more balanced. It's more similar to 05 than 64. So imagine 05 with a bit less jump and more direct feeling, but about as much spin. I didn't like it at first, but after adjusting to it ended up being more pleased with it. I started using 80 last summer before the LA open. It's become a pretty popular choice on the BH. 

Pretty much agree with all of this. I'm playing with T80 on 1.9mm sponge and I'm very happy with the results. The little bit of extra control/touch of T80 over T05 gets you into (or keeps you in) some rallies and I've never once thought "I would have won that rally if only I'd had T05 instead of T80"! The two are fairly close together in terms of what they can do, however for me the extra touch/control over the table is what gets me into the rallies in the first place... no point in having a "looping machine" (as someone described their canon-like set up recently) if you can't get far enough into rallies to use it.
Butterfly Korbel ST
Red FH: BTY Tenergy T80 1.9mm
Black BH: TSP Curl P4 1.5mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 12:24pm
I have played with T-05, T-80, T-64, T-05 FX, T-64 FX, T-25 FX. Each one of them has their interesting advantages (except for T-64 FX which in my opinion is an unnecessary rubber - it does not belong in Tenergy series, and there are other rubbers that play the same way and better). For instance T-25 FX is awesome for blocking, even better than T-05 FX in terms of lesser sensitivity and control of block direction etc.

T-05 has the best spin but as another side of the coin it has the highest sensitivity to the incoming spin. So much so that I would not recommend it to any U-2000 amateur player.

T-64 requires a lot of work. It has the best speed and control on power drives but you have to be a very aggressive player to use it properly. And it is not so easy to use in shorter touch game and in spinny openings.

T-80 is in a way somewhere between but it is closer to T-05 in terms of easier control in short and placement game. It does have lower sensitivity than T-05 and it plays pretty good when executing opening loop on FH.

FX versions are similar but with somewhat better control and more "dead-stop" effect in short game, slightly better spin but less speed. T-05 FX is surprisingly enough less sensitive than T-05 (I have a simple theory to explain that but who cares) and plays awesome on BH. It is by far the best backhand rubber for carbon blades that I ever played with. T-25 FX is superb on BH as well but I would recommend it for softer and flexier blades, because it is not as easy to loop. Has a noticeably better (lower) sensitivity, though.

So my advice to amateur veterans (ones who do not intend to run down every frigging ball all the time) - put T-80 on FH and T-05 FX or T-25 FX on BH. By the way, T-80 works as a BH rubber as well... for instance on non-carbon, OFF- blade it plays very good. Has very nice pace but is slightly worse than T-05 FX in opening loops but is a bit more universally reliable in general control over the table. Choose thickness 1.9 on OFF/OFF+ blades, and 2.1 on ALL+/OFF-/OFF blades.

But this is of course highly subjective. All possible caveats apply Wink
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 4:36pm

I am sad, now I must give my beloved T64FX a proper burial.

I know of a pretty spot in my back yard where there is a fountain and the birds sing and the squirrels play.

I will dearly miss my T64FX sheets....sob
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

robjkc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robjkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 5:28pm
Great review JimT!  I do have some T80 on order.  I think you're right about T05 and being over 2000.  I'm currently 1700 (1645 rounded up) and played with a new sheet of T05 2.1 on a viscaria last night. What you described was exactly what I was experiencing.  My idea was to use this for an upcoming tournament but I think I would get to frustrated using it.  On a side note, I did like the sheet of Xiom Omega II Asia 2.0 I had on the BH.  Similar speed and hardness to T05 with less spin sensitivity and slightly lower throw.  
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 7:37pm
T80 is very direct and unbelievably sharp...

I have been using T25-FX on BH for 5 months. I switched to it for added control and to develop my BH flip (banana) and it's worked. Quite sleepy on delicate touch shots, though it can really rip when you need it to.

I put T80 on the BH of my other blade out of curiosity and I could use it immediately. These are the differences - more serve spin, more immediate spin, easier BH flip (banana) and easier BH loop for lifting of backspin (I briefly tried it on FH looping but found the throw a bit low after long T05 & M2 use ).

The main difference between T25-FX was T80 is more immediate, direct and unbelievably sharp. I'm reluctant to say fast, because I don't want to imply that it was uncontrollable when it is far from it; shots land well in the table just sharper.

I am training and playing summer league with the T25-FX BH, because it improves my stokes then start using my T80 bat at the beginning of next season.

T80 feels really sharp on BH...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 8:49pm
JimT, you've really sparked my interest on 05-FX

any other opinions on T05-FX vs T-80?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

JimT, you've really sparked my interest on 05-FX

any other opinions on T05-FX vs T-80?

I assume we are talking about BH. Well, as I said, it depends on your blade. Here is the thing though - let's say you are playing with a not very flexible but fast carbon blade... like Amultart or T-8 or many many others. Then you'd be advised to use 1.9 mm T-05 FX on your backhand. However, with thinner and softer rubber (and it is a general thing, not just for Tenergy) comes the issue of aggressive BH shots having to be rather precise in terms of angle. Basically if your loop-drive or power-block is executed less tangentially than needed (that is, if you are hitting through the ball) then there is always a danger of rubber bottoming-out sooner rather than later, and that could be a problem.

Which means that you need to be quite precise more often than you'd like to. In that regards T-25 FX is better. However it will require more precision in speed because it hits a bit flatter than T-05 FX (same applies to T-80) and therefore is less convenient for high throw, slow-pace opening loops.

There is no perfection, is what I'm saying. The ideal course of action would be to try all three of them (if possible) and see what suits your style and your blade better.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I know of a pretty spot in my back yard where there is a fountain and the birds sing and the squirrels play.

I am sure someone will be happy to take their lifeless bodies off your hands... and even pay you some modest fee Big smile

What I meant is that T-64 FX has none of the three main properties of Tenergy rubbers. There is almost no catapult on vast majority of strokes; there is almost no dead-stop effect in short game, and surprisingly enough even topsheet grippiness is average. Why pay 60 dollars for such a rubber? You'd be better off with Palio Blitz 42.5 or Xiom Omega IV Europe or even cheaper soft rubbers like Gambler Outlaw Soft or GD Karate Soft.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 12:31pm
Sure T80 is good for BH (I plan on migrating to that again for my BH after trying out T64 on the SZLC as I have a sheet in inventory). However, my guess is that while T05 and T64 are fairly unique, there are rubbers quite similar to T80 out there.

I've never played with Xiom Vega Japan, but it reportedly is quite similar.

When I first tried out MX-P for FH, I put on a new sheet of T80 on the BH side. I was surprised at how similar they were in throw angle, trajectory, short game and general forgivability in semi-optimal rushed strokes. The only difference was that MX-P was distinctly spinnier and faster (& harder of course).

One issue I have with T80 in the 2 sheets I went through is that I feel that their durability is lower than the other Tenergies I've used.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 12:42pm
I do agree that some rubbers play pretty close to T-80 on FH. For instance, on slower (ALL+/OFF-) blades I have used KTL Red Diamond Mechanical and found it (after some break-in period) a great rubber somewhat similar to T-64 or even to T-80 on forehand. It is a bit more linear than those two but still plays - for my style - close enough to use it for $22 instead of $60. Same goes for Tibhar Aurus which is even close to T-80 in style than RDM but plays a bit differently.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

One issue I have with T80 in the 2 sheets I went through is that I feel that their durability is lower than the other Tenergies I've used.

That could be. One of the older T-80 that I have bought already used is starting to get a little dried out and harder ... I am not sure I mind that much. But it is pretty old and I am not sure even how old it was when I bought it. Still they seem to last quite a decent amount of time.

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I am sure someone will be happy to take their lifeless bodies off your hands... and even pay you some modest fee Big smile

What I meant is that T-64 FX has none of the three main properties of Tenergy rubbers. There is almost no catapult on vast majority of strokes; there is almost no dead-stop effect in short game, and surprisingly enough even topsheet grippiness is average. Why pay 60 dollars for such a rubber? You'd be better off with Palio Blitz 42.5 or Xiom Omega IV Europe or even cheaper soft rubbers like Gambler Outlaw Soft or GD Karate Soft.

I was in my dry humor just being a muse. Actually I play well with T64FX. I like this rubber for it's countering qualities. I tried T25 and T25FX and disliked them. My evaluation is different than yours JimT, but that's very normal since I'm sure our games are different.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 1:25pm

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I was in my dry humor just being a muse. Actually I play well with T64FX. I like this rubber for it's countering qualities. I tried T25 and T25FX and disliked them. My evaluation is different than yours JimT, but that's very normal since I'm sure our games are different.

But that's almost exactly what I'm saying - if you only use them for their countering and blocking qualities, that means you are not really using them as Tenergy; also there are tons of other rubbers that would it for you same way, cost you 50% less and offer you some extra qualities in other strokes as well. Just saying! Wink

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 3:40pm

JimT I don't only use T64FX for blocking and countering, I have a huge loop close/mid/away and happen to think T64FX is great for the short game also. Different for all of us. I think T05FX is a great BH rubber. Sometimes it's not just about the performance but the overall feel of a rubber sheet. I agree other rubber sheets can match it at a lower cost. I love Tenergys, I can afford them so that's what I use.   
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2014 at 7:25pm
I had t80 1.9 for very short time, it was too fast, and I sold it immediately. T05 and T64 (1.9) better for me.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic