FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Is this a legal paddle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this a legal paddle?
    Posted: 04/24/2014 at 1:55pm
Sponsored Links

Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 2:00pm
I believe so. I remember when these came out that was the general consensus. 

Rules regulating blades are pretty lenient. Rules on the striking surface are much more specific. The rubber used must be legal (ITTF stamped)
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 2:15pm
2.04.01 The racket may be of any size, shape or weight but the blade shall be flat and rigid. 
2.04.02 At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood; an adhesive layer within the blade may be reinforced with fibrous material such as carbon fibre, glass fibre or compressed paper, but shall not be thicker than 7.5% of the total thickness or 0.35mm, whichever is the smaller. 
2.04.03 A side of the blade used for striking the ball shall be covered with either ordinary pimpled rubber, with pimples outwards having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 2.0mm, or sandwich rubber, with pimples inwards or outwards, having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 4.0mm. 
2.04.03.01 Ordinary pimpled rubber is a single layer of non-cellular rubber, natural or synthetic, with pimples evenly distributed over its surface at a density of not less than 10 per cm2 and not more than 30 per cm2
2.04.03.02 Sandwich rubber is a single layer of cellular rubber covered with a single outer layer of ordinary pimpled rubber, the thickness of the pimpled rubber not being more than 2.0mm. 
2.04.04 The covering material shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade, except that the part nearest the handle and gripped by the fingers may be left uncovered or covered with any material. 
2.04.05 The blade, any layer within the blade and any layer of covering material or adhesive on a side used for striking the ball shall be continuous and of even thickness. 
2.04.06 The surface of the covering material on a side of the blade, or of a side of the blade if it is left uncovered, shall be matt, bright red on one side and black on the other. 
2.04.07 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment. 
2.04.07.01 Slight deviations from continuity of surface or uniformity of colour due to accidental damage or wear may be allowed provided that they do not significantly change the characteristics of the surface. 
2.04.08 Before the start of a match and whenever he or she changes his or her racket during a match a player shall show his or her opponent and the umpire the racket he or she is about to use and shall allow them to examine it. 

is the racket flat and rigid?  the individual surfaces might be flat and rigid.  maybe it would be based on how you interpret 2.04.01.  it doesn't say anything about 2 completely distinct surfaces (joined)

:)
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 2:17pm
Well, I believe it is legal if you put ITTF stamped rubbers on it.

But do you really want to play with it??... that contraption must weigh at least 300 grams.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 3:02pm
I don't think it would be legal due to the following:
2.04.05 The blade, any layer within the blade and any layer of covering material or adhesive on a side used for striking the ball shall be continuous and of even thickness. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 5:51pm
2.4 THE RACKET.

2.4.1 the racket may be of any size, shape or weight...

Number of blades to be incorporated into a racket is not specified in the rules.

The Brodman's does comply with 2.4.1 as required, according to their promo adverts.
You can use it freely at any competitions.   

Good luck.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 6:03pm
whatever it be... it is very difficult to generate speed with.... i know cornelleiu used to show this paddle in a video.

just try holding hte head of your paddle by your finger and pulm on one side and play with wide side.. you will reaslize how difficlut it is due to shorter torque arm.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 6:07pm
there is a guy in the bay area here.....who plays with a modified racket

he holds a small fist sized 'handle' mounted to the back of his racket

his play resembles a penholder.  he plays pips out

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 9:19pm
Victor plays with a racket he designed (he is a good 1800 player)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCO5aPXm5og 
Pips are on the backhand side.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

there is a guy in the bay area here.....who plays with a modified racket

he holds a small fist sized 'handle' mounted to the back of his racket

his play resembles a penholder.  he plays pips out

Yeah, that guy is Joe Ching.  It is a fencing style
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 9:58pm
Although i give anyone credit for making and trying anything new like this.

I wonder it would be anything more that a odd blade or style.

I have made many types of blades and its hard to patent unless you have at least 10,000.00.

so is it worth it?

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

Although i give anyone credit for making and trying anything new like this.
I wonder it would be anything more that a odd blade or style.
I have made many types of blades and its hard to patent unless you have at least 10,000.00.
so is it worth it?
How many patents do you have?
Butterfly MPS
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 5:17pm
I have made many prototype blades , that do what i want.
I have talked to several lawyers who have told me a patent in the USA is 10,000.
If outside the US its even more.
also they told me companies will buy your paddle and copy it and dare you to sue them.
They have more money.

So the question is ....is it worth it?
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

I have made many prototype blades , that do what i want.
I have talked to several lawyers who have told me a patent in the USA is 10,000.
If outside the US its even more.
also they told me companies will buy your paddle and copy it and dare you to sue them.
They have more money.

So the question is ....is it worth it?
If your idea is truly new, unique and has mass market appeal then it might be worth it. The problem is very difficult to invent something that has not been done before. If you get a firm prestigious enough, they will be able to get the patent - even if the idea is not novel.
Butterfly MPS
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2014 at 7:57pm
Oh, the idea is new and unique and from all my research has not been done before.

Well most ... if not all the table tennis makers are out of the country so that might be 
hard to do. 

But good idea none the less.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic