Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Developing Player Rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Developing Player Rubber
    Posted: 04/24/2014 at 2:38pm
I'm using a Timo boll Spirit Blade with tenergy 05 on both sides and it's a bit too high class for me. I'm around a 1350 USATT rating. I play double winged loops (albeit somewhat inconsistent) and try to play a good controlled game).  Which rubbers would suit my play style best? I've considered going to some classic rubbers like mark V and mendo, but I'm not sure that those would loop well or have enough speed to thoroughly put the point away when i create the opportunity. 
I've also considered getting chinese rubbers, but they have inconsistency issues and I would like to adopt consistent rubber sheets. As far as sponge hardness, I prefer the medium or even medium soft sponges.

Edited by Mark H - 04/24/2014 at 2:40pm
Blade: Timo Boll Spirit AN
FH: Black Renanos Hold 2.1 mm
BH: Red Renanos Hold 2.1 mm
Sponsored Links

tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Mark H Mark H wrote:

... I play double winged loops (albeit somewhat inconsistent) and try to play a good controlled game).  ...

consistency comes from training.  stick with your T05 and practice practice practice....
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 3:18pm
I used Dawei IQUL on both sides from the a rating of USATT 1100 to 1700's over about 4 yrs.  The consistency of the sheets has been very good (got one set of two sheets that was tackier than normal) over maybe 20 sheets.  I just switched to short pips on my Bh due to some wrist problems which limit how I can stroke the ball.  I also just put on some Tenergy 05FX on the Fh.   I really did not see that much difference between the IQUL and 05FX initially.  Gradually I am seeing a little difference.  Slightly more spin on loops  (notice ball dipping quicker after bounce) with the 05FX.  Also a need to keep the blade closed with the 05FX.  With the IQUL there are some strokes that I can execute with a neutral blade angle, but with the 05FX everything seems to need a fairly closed blade or the ball just flies long.  The 05Fx is a little faster, but I end up hitting shots just as fast with each one by using a little more swing speed with the IQUL.

I use www.colestt.com  as the IQUL supplier.  At the price ($16/sheet) it might be worth trying a sheet to see what you think.  I like the 2.2 mm regular (40 deg).  The 2.0mm regular (40 deg) is a little slower but gives really good control.  I used that on my Bh for a while. 

Note: The IQUL comes tacky out of the package.  During the first week I clean it with water and a microfiber cloth a couple of times per session.  This gets the tackiness level to drop quickly and then it stabilizes for the life of the rubber.

Mark

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 4:42pm
What else have you tried besides T05 and Renanos?

I just started playing with Hurricane 3 Commercial unboosted/untuned about 3 weeks ago and I love it.  I think it mates well with my Yinhe T-7 blade, which from what I've read, is somewhat similar to your Timo Boll Spirit.  That combo seems to do everything well for close to the table to mid-distance play.  Better control, more spin, and at $11/sheet from ttnpp, much cheaper than Mark V.  I think some people who give it a bad rap are either speed freaks, used it on a slow blade, or bought a counterfeit.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 11:47pm

I'm using a Timo boll Spirit Blade with tenergy 05 on both sides and it's a bit too high class for me. I'm around a 1350 USATT rating. I play double winged loops (albeit somewhat inconsistent) and try to play a good controlled game).  Which rubbers would suit my play style best? I've considered going to some classic rubbers like mark V and mendo, but I'm not sure that those would loop well or have enough speed to thoroughly put the point away when i create the opportunity. 
I've also considered getting chinese rubbers, but they have inconsistency issues and I would like to adopt consistent rubber sheets. As far as sponge hardness, I prefer the medium or even medium soft sponges.

If you want something like Tenergy 05 but slower, try Donic Baracuda or Andro Hexer.  Whether T05 vs Mark V or T05 vs. Hexer, etc, the benefit to slower rubber is mostly defensive and consistencty/control oriented.  You can place the ball more linearly and your blocks will be easier to control vs. incoming topspin.  Against a higher level player who loops with sufficient spin, it won't matter, but with okay technique and within decent ratings ranges (+/- 200 pts), you will be able to control incoming spin better with slower rubbers.

On the other hand, you seem to be misguided on equipment speed.  The truth is that at 1350 USATT, you probably don't have good enough technique to argue that *any* equipment is too slow - if you think that something is too slow to put away the ball, you are either playing too far away from the table or just expressing the limitations of your current understanding of the game.  In fact, you don't need speed to win any point at 1350 USATT.  If I loop slowly with heavy spin to a USATT player under 1500, they usually block my loop off the table repeatedly.  What you should be focusing on is generating more topspin on your strokes.  If you do that, then you can decide whether you want to do it with faster or slower equipment given how other strokes fit into your game.  But without generating heavy topspin, looping equipment is mostly wasted (there are exceptions to this amongst some hitters/blockersr/choppers, but they are exceptions).
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 12:19am
yeah, I wana see how u gona like markV or a chinese sheet after trying T05. Its like somebody turned off the power from the power steering. Stick with your tenergy, at least until you wear it off. Aint gona find notn betta
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 3:03am
You may want to consider changing you BH rubber only, since that typically keeps me (maybe you)
in the game. That way you can develop the advantage of a strong and spiny FH when you execute...

Two slower spiny BH rubber - Xiom Musa, Donic Barracuda (not as slow as Musa)...
I'm sure other members can recommend others in this value performance range or cheaper.

Stick with Max. The speed difference with be dramatic, but you will stay in the game longer...

... And get some coaching if you can...

Edited by CraneStyle - 04/25/2014 at 3:09am
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 2:39pm

hi mark, 

if you stick with tenergy, try 1.9mm. TBS is a great blade for any level. if you have it, keep it. 
if you decide tenergy is still too fast or too spinny, your suggestions mark V, mendo are fine. they do loop well if you loop well. there was one 1600 i coached for awhile who ended up outlooping 2100's using tenergy while he was still using sriver. it's in the technique.

i recommend xiom's musa I is actually very good quality. it's a modern all-around with a small tension feel. 
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 3:01pm
people recommending to low level social players are nuts
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 3:29pm

You can call Paddle Palace, who have equipment consultants available for your help.

You can also call Zero Pong for too.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 3:30pm
Keep the TBS of course but try Moon on BH and Mars on FH. Very manageable with a low price. Of course there are always Mark V, Sriver but coming from T05 that would be a big adjustment.

I actually agree with assiduous to keep playing with your T05 or at least until it is worn out before considering switching to something else.

Another thought is to try T05FX, T64FX, T80FX. Expensive but provides great long lasting performance even at 1350 level.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 5:57pm
If you want to keep it relatively similar:

Vega Pro in 2.0.  Easier to control than T05 and less sensitive to spin
Baracuda in 2.0.  A little slower than T05 (someone has already mentioned this)
T05 fx in 1.9 on the backhand

Classis rubbers aren't a bad idea if you're lacking control and don't have time to take lessons.  They will be very different than what you're used to though.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

people recommending to low level social players are nuts

Getting to 1350 took me quite some work so I would not consider it low level social, especially if the person is ambitious enough to ask questions just as I did. You may respond that equipment doesn't matter but that is just one POV, as is my postion that his fear of losing speed is misguided. On the other hand, the 1350 version of myself would not have listened to the 1800 version...

As an aside, there are few things more satisfying than not having to move your loop that much against your opponent or knowing that your stroke is good enough to be dangerous without swinging at full power.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 6:42pm

since you have timo boll spirit which is a pretty fast blade already so you dont really need to worry about power but control. in that case i recommend
chinese rubber on forehand, because if you put your body into every shot it will be powerful and fast and you will not error much due to the control.

chinese rubber are slower but they are very consistent in what they give out, they have many gear they can be slow and spinny or fast drive if you want, its all in the technique chinese rubber are great to improve forehand because they have alot of control, but in order for it to be powerful you need to supply your own power, when you master it your forehand will be unstoppable because it will have power and control. chinese rubber i would recommend is

Hurricane 3 neo fastest one with no boosting imo the best one to get and try it has lower arc for power loop but opening loop is not as strong, flips and pushes are great with any chinese rubber

skyline tg3 neo is all-round, very good opening loop has high arc so be careful if its too high it will get kill, great pushes, slow closes to table but can be fast mid distance if you swing hard

hurricane 2 ex 19 sponge speed is okay but only fast  if you boost or else too slow but very accurate and alot of feel on brush looping, low arc

these are cheap so if you dont like it no harm done just try it out

some other good ones are globe 999 national and  Tin /Gold arc have not tried myself though only heard

these are all DHS rubber

national or provincial version of these rubber are boosted and more expensive imo they are unessecary even boosted they are not that much better then original except they just have more speed

and for backhand you can keep tenergy you need all the power you can get there i recommend T05 fx insted for backhand though or T80 , regular 05 is too hard to control on backhand

Edited by boaspirit - 04/25/2014 at 6:45pm
butterfly Timo Boll spirit

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
Mark H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2014 at 2:14am
Okay, i'll stick with my tenergy until it runs out of life. I rarely get the opportunity to play very much anymore. I'll revisit the forum when it dies.  I'll keep in mind switching to a classic style rubber since the blade is fast enough as is (their durability would be a huge boon as well).  I'll keep in mind mendo, mark v, sriver, and musa.  I assume other rubbers like Nodias would be an option as well. I suppose the deciding factors would be which ones loop well, high durability, and control. I dont really know the difference between the classic style control oriented rubbers.
I'm not quite interested in chinese rubbers because they have a bad reputation for being inconsistent (from sheet to sheet). 

Edited by Mark H - 04/26/2014 at 2:16am
Blade: Timo Boll Spirit AN
FH: Black Renanos Hold 2.1 mm
BH: Red Renanos Hold 2.1 mm
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2014 at 8:37am

I'm using a Timo boll Spirit Blade with tenergy 05 on both sides and it's a bit too high class for me. I'm around a 1350 USATT rating. I play double winged loops (albeit somewhat inconsistent) and try to play a good controlled game).  ...
Get off- blade and two soft not-max rubbers until you develop very consistent game.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic