Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forehand warm up takes very long time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2014 at 1:46pm
There is a link on Larry's page to one of the best vids to see bounce timing in action. 

Notice that on his third shot the ball bounces before he does, he late on ball timing. He leans too far  backward and is off balance as a result. He still makes the shot but you can see the result of not timing the ball well. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
Sponsored Links

Ma_Long View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ma_Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by murraylp2 murraylp2 wrote:

Hello,
-Never had problems warming up before but when I went to warm up on day, for the first minute i literally couldnt hit the table (only with forehand, backhand is fine), my arm was not at all fluid and my motion was so bad that the ball would go straight up in the air and nowhere near the table.
- For the last few weeks I have been suffering from this, forehand takes 10 minutes to even become "decent" and way longer to become fluid.

-It is proving to be a major problem for me. Any tips of how I can fix this or how this has suddenly happened?

-Also I am only 15 years old and been playing for 2 year

Thanks

I have the same problem recently!

@murraylp2: Have you get this problem fixed? Pls share your experience.
cmba_x View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmba_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2016 at 2:26am
I had the same issue. I think mainly mental, which causes physical lock up on FH side. Although I think the lock up is mainly on lower body, so try immediately to be in good form on FH, bend your knees, active feet, do the rotation from bottom to up, and just think you can drive back the ball.

BH seems to be 'easier' as in warm up it involve less the body, and possibly just the forearm. So I had to start with BH to 'loosen' up, then start looping on FH side which causes the 'feel' of the ball to come back and the stroke movement on FH side to come back, then I can start FH drive.
I suggest to just start as if you can already do the stroke, and you know you can do it, focusing on the good form of the stroke, upper and lower body. Warm up properly to help loosen up.

Edited by cmba_x - 11/09/2016 at 2:42am
FX-P - JRE - FX-P    
H3 - Latika - FX-P
danseemiller View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2016 at 5:50am
I have seen this many times over the years. It is scary.
Almost always caused  by wrist flipping or moving too much. Do not use your wrist.
Dan
DS
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2016 at 1:56pm
I've experienced this exact problem myself. I started playing when I was 9 years old and then I quit at 13. When I started playing again at 18, I have this problem of forehand warming up taking too long. It was so embarrassing. My motion is really bad, I either drove it into the net or drove it off the table, it looked like I never played table tennis before. After at least 10 mins or 15 mins, it came back to normal and I could drive the ball consistently with good technique. The problem lasted for almost 2 years before I got over it. I'm pretty sure it's a mental problem because I knew how I should do it, but somehow my brain and muscle chose to do it incorrectly.

From my experience, it's due to the rotation of the forearm and wrist, if you have this problem, try keeping your arm and wrist stable, not too relaxed, not too firm, and use mainly the lower body and shoulder rotation to drive, when you get the feel, you can start using your arm more. Don't forget to breath out when you contact the ball, it will help you relax.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2016 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by danseemiller danseemiller wrote:

I have seen this many times over the years. It is scary.
Almost always caused  by wrist flipping or moving too much. Do not use your wrist.
Dan

I think the compact backhand stroke leaves less room for error.  My forehand stroke starts off wandering all over the place.  It always takes me longer to bring my forehand under control.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic