FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Types of Spin and serve returns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Guys,

No need to be rude to DDreamer.  This is either a terminology difference or just a difference in perspective.  We aren't going to beat DDreamer 3-0 (I wish!) or have a better loop because of it.

I think what DDreamer is saying is that pure side rotates as most of us know it, but side top is corkscrew in the general sideways direction of the ball motion and side back is corkscrew in in opposition to the sideways direction of the ball.  He takes the forward motion as a given while we think of the forward motion as being something other than what the spin is doing to the ball.

Of course, DDreamer's views are more nuanced than what I am saying but I am just trying to bridge the gap.

Sure, no disagreement with what you're saying.  But, I think using the term "corkscrew" to describe the spin on a certain axis is more descriptive.  As others have already stated, we have 3D space with X, Y, and Z axis.  X is topspin/backspin, Y is sidespin, and Z is corkscrew spin.  DDreamer seems to want to call spin on both Y and Z to both be called "sidespin".

Corkscrewspin is also sometimes called Deviation spin. That's the terminology used in the ITTF coaching handbooks. I believe they also break it down as topspin/backspin, sidespin left or right, and deviation spin left or right. 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Sponsored Links

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 2:19pm
Don't forget to say 'thank you' Smile:

Edited by slevin - 05/02/2014 at 2:19pm
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Don't forget to say 'thank you' Smile:

Nice link - I'll have to that that in my blog sometime. 
-Larry
www.MDTTC.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 2:45pm
A lot of terminology that is not-intuitive and that obscures the key feature of all most serves; that it is not quite what it appears to be.
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 2:46pm

I have been playing for 40 years and until today have never heard of the term 'corkscrew spin'. I have always treated corkscrew serves simply as varieties of sidespin serves because that's what they are! If you hit a corkscrew serve it spins sideways off your blade. Moreover the means of returning a corkscrew serve is fundamentally the same as you would return any sidespin serve. Have I miraculously had no particular trouble against corkscrew serves all these years despite being ignorant of a totally distinct dimension of spin? If it provides a practical purpose for you to call the spin on such serves 'corkscrew spin' as opposed to sidespin then go for it but I don't see the point. When a pupil asks me to go through the possible spins he will have to be able to handle when returning serves (which I think was also the intent behind the OPs original question) I will not have to give a separate module on 'corkscrew spin' (along with talk of arixes and dimensions) rather such spin will be adequately covered in the explanation dealing with returning sidespin.

Edited by DDreamer - 05/02/2014 at 2:57pm
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

I have always treated corkscrew serves simply as varieties of sidespin serves because that's what they are! If you hit a corkscrew serve it spins sideways off your blade. Moreover the means of returning a corkscrew serve is fundamentally the same as you would return any sidespin serve.

You're a coach? 

Did you read that link I posted? 

I'll take a test afterwards on exactly how sidespin is different from corkscrew spin in terms of how ball behaves after bounce on table and after bounce on racket. And what is the best way to counter a corkscrewspin serve (that is different from how you would counter sidespin)...

Sorry for coming down at you so hard, (it is partly in harmless jest) but your thought process is so difficult to break through...

Edited by slevin - 05/02/2014 at 3:02pm
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 3:07pm
"If it provides a practical purpose for you to call the spin on such serves 'corkscrew spin' as opposed to sidespin then go for it but I don't see the point."

The point is clarity.

3 axis, three directions of spin. The rest are combinations of them with differing degree.
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

Corkscrewspin is also sometimes called Deviation spin. That's the terminology used in the ITTF coaching handbooks. I believe they also break it down as topspin/backspin, sidespin left or right, and deviation spin left or right. 
-Larry Hodges

Hey LarryTT, the answer to the unique spin directions is 19, not 27.  Try this ... draw circles around the circumference of a ball, starting with the X, Y, Z axis first (so 3 circles around the ball).  Then draw circles that go halfway in-between each of those X, Y, and Z axis to represent the combinations between each group of 2 axis.  You will get 9 distinct circles (there is overlap in some of the combinations).  Thus each circle can spin either direction, and you get 18 different variations.  Add one more for the no-spin ball, and you now have 19 distinct variations.

Edited by geardaddy - 05/02/2014 at 3:12pm
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 3:11pm

Quite an interesting topic and no so trivial that one might think.

Problem is that while we may be inclined to describe a tt ball as a 3D object it looks to me that when we discuss its spin alone then more appropriate is treating it as a sphere (or surface of the sphere), which (as I just checked) is a kind of a 2-D object. We need 3-rd dimension (X,Y,Z coordinates) to describe how it moves through space ( forward, upward, etc); but to represent all possible axises of its rotation only two values (X and Y) are enough:

If we mark the point at the very top of the ball and imagine that it rotates through the axis that pierces this point then we achieve a spin which is simply and not controversially called a pure sidespin.  We can do only two thing with this point: move it forward (or backward which is the same but further along 2-d surface) or move it left(right). If we only move it 90 deg forward we achieve pure corskpin, if we go back and move it only 90 deg left we have pure back/topspin and looks to me that all other possible spins are a combinations of these side/back(top) variations. So corkspin does exists but only in this very special case and all of you are partially right. 

(Except that i counted 3 special cases times two of spin plus 8 combinations, which gives 14 total general spin categories :D:D)

edit: But i forgot to count no-spins.. But under these conditions its doesn't makes a difference along which axis the ball doesn't spin, so i would just add 1 for 15 total. 

Edited by Krantz - 05/02/2014 at 3:45pm
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 3:13pm

Hey LarryTT, Then draw circles that go halfway in-between each of those X, Y, and Z axis to represent the combinations between each group of 2 axis.  

Why 2 axes, geardaddy? Try combinations of 3 axes (& get rid of that no-spin thing) and you'll see how you get 27 lines.

Edit - I see what you're saying in terms of your circles. Let me finish my day-2-day work here in a couple of hours and I'll clarify.

Edited by slevin - 05/02/2014 at 3:32pm
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 3:18pm

I have always treated corkscrew serves simply as varieties of sidespin serves because that's what they are! If you hit a corkscrew serve it spins sideways off your blade. Moreover the means of returning a corkscrew serve is fundamentally the same as you would return any sidespin serve. 

Maybe it's the having played 40+ years thing so there's an element of being unable to believe there's a concept that you didn't know about but the bolded part above is just flat out wrong. It's not even an opinion matter. It's simple physics how how the ball reacts off your blade depending on how it's spinning.

The link Selvin provided can't make it any clearer. How many sources now in this thread is it stating otherwise to your proposal? Do they have it all wrong and you have it right? 

Corkscrew:

Sidespin:

Edited by suds79 - 05/02/2014 at 3:18pm
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 3:27pm

I have been playing for 40 years and until today have never heard of the term 'corkscrew spin'. I have always treated corkscrew serves simply as varieties of sidespin serves because that's what they are! If you hit a corkscrew serve it spins sideways off your blade. Moreover the means of returning a corkscrew serve is fundamentally the same as you would return any sidespin serve. Have I miraculously had no particular trouble against corkscrew serves all these years despite being ignorant of a totally distinct dimension of spin? If it provides a practical purpose for you to call the spin on such serves 'corkscrew spin' as opposed to sidespin then go for it but I don't see the point. When a pupil asks me to go through the possible spins he will have to be able to handle when returning serves (which I think was also the intent behind the OPs original question) I will not have to give a separate module on 'corkscrew spin' (along with talk of arixes and dimensions) rather such spin will be adequately covered in the explanation dealing with returning sidespin.

If you are looking for a reason to explain it, think about this:

Corkscrew spin is invisible! Until it hits the table that is... 

Backspin balls float as they fly
Topspin balls drop as they fly
Sidespin balls curve as they fly

but corkscrew spin flys regular until the ball hits the table, at which point it jumps to the side.

As far as returning corkscrew, it matters depending on the angle of your paddle. If you angle to the right or to the left as the corkscrew ball approaches, it could mean the difference between your paddle "reading" topspin or sidespin.

That being said it is hard to put significant amounts of spin on corkscrew serves without being obvious. But to those of us that use them and can place them effectively to take advantage of this spin change when opponents angle left or right, it can be very beneficial.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 3:31pm

Thanks for the image suds.

This helps explain what I wrote above. If they angled the paddle to either side it would "read" top or backspin, causing the ball to pop up or drop down.

Edited by Reinecke - 05/02/2014 at 3:31pm
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 3:47pm
btw, nothing derails a thread more than bringing up the topic of sidespin Smile This is from the thread "topspin balls can not be attacked":

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66169&PN=2&title=topspin-balls-cannot-be-attacked

Originally posted by TTFrenzy TTFrenzy wrote:

Originally posted by Reinecke Reinecke wrote:

Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Originally posted by Reinecke Reinecke wrote:

Keep in mind hitting with some sidespin can help against heavy backspin as well as heavy topspin. 
As said above it will prevent the ball from biting into the rubber so much. Just watch out for "corkscrew" spin, similar to a football (American) being thrown. This spin is almost undetectable when the ball is traveling, unlike back, top, and sidespin, but has drastic affects if not accounted for when trying to hit a return with sidespin.
"corkscrew" would explain a strange serve I once encountered. Ball appeared to defy the laws of physics. I'll keep this in mind.

Not many people think much about corkscrew spin.

One of my Chinese friends a long time ago told me about a secret shot Ma Lin had in his arsenal called a "backspin loop", a topspinning shot with enough corkscrew that when an opponent tried to angle their next shot it would hit the paddle with backspin and die into the net.

I have a corkscrew serve with three variations that all look quite similar. I can almost always win points in desperate moments with these serves.

1.How old are you?

2. You watch too much tv

3. Your post was hilarious

4. Im with stupid

5.Jesus christ, Did I really READ THIS??

6. I quit
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 3:49pm
Moving back slightly closer to the OP --

How do you good players judge the incoming spin and react when you are receiving?

I doubt you consciously think 'It's side-top! Flip it!' or some front-brain process like that.  

I was taught (unsuccessfully so far) to mirror the server's paddle face at contact.  Unfortunately I am spatial-relationships challenged in my brain, so even if you gave me five minutes I would have a hard time figuring out what angle and direction of my paddle face mirrors his.  

Is there a commonsense rule like if the ball is spinning this way touch it on this part to cancel the spin? 

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 3:52pm

Hey LarryTT, the answer to the unique spin directions is 19, not 27.  Try this ... draw circles around the circumference of a ball, starting with the X, Y, Z axis first (so 3 circles around the ball).  Then draw circles that go halfway in-between each of those X, Y, and Z axis to represent the combinations between each group of 2 axis.  You will get 9 distinct circles (there is overlap in some of the combinations).  Thus each circle can spin either direction, and you get 18 different variations.  Add one more for the no-spin ball, and you now have 19 distinct variations.

Basically:

assume at each orthogonal spin axis, you can categorize the infinite possible values in 3 categories:
{topspin, 0, backspin}
{left sidespin, 0, right sidespin}
{clockwise corkscrewspin, 0, anti-clockwise corkscrewspin}

Now, each serve shall have a spin axis with 3 orthogonal components (each of which can have one of these 3 basic values). Now, your no-spin serve shall be 1 of 27 different basic combinations. 

Or am I writing while high on a Friday afternoon?
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 3:54pm

Or am I writing while high on a Friday afternoon?

Could be bothThumbs Up

And yeah you got it.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Is there a commonsense rule like if the ball is spinning this way touch it on this part to cancel the spin? 

This question you mentioned immediately reminded me of something Joola coach Richard McAfee was talking about here from 8:09-8:50

Link directly to that point:

or here's the whole video and you can go to that point.

Edited by suds79 - 05/02/2014 at 4:02pm
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 4:19pm

-Larry Hodges

There really are 27 combinations of topspin/backspin, sidespin left and right, and corkscrewspin left and right. I'll list them in my blog on Monday. (I'm too busy right now, as noted in my blog this morning.) I've done this before, and I'm hoping I can find one of those listings rather than have to tediously write them out again. I think you may be missing the eight combinations of all three spins - such as a topspin-sidespin left-corkscrewspin left serve. (Yes, you can do all three. I'll explain this in my blog on Monday Tuesday.) 
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 05/05/2014 at 1:44pm
www.MDTTC.com
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

This question you mentioned immediately reminded me of something Joola coach Richard McAfee was talking about here from 8:09-8:50

Nice video. It's always fun to steal presentation ideas from other coaches. Smile
I think one of the highlights of my coaching career came in 1990-91, when I was Dan Seemiller's assistant coach all summer long for his summer camps. I volunteered to give a lecture on serving, and I noticed that Dan was taking notes, more than even the students. I asked him about it afterwards, and he said he liked the way I taught it, and was taking notes for his own lectures! 
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 05/02/2014 at 4:29pm
www.MDTTC.com
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 4:31pm
In contrast to DDreamer I have been aware of corkscrew spin and side spin for 40+ years
One of the problems here is that we are not allowing for the fact that usually corkscrew and sidespin are not usually pure but are blends of the 2 spins with the axis of spin tilted at around 45 degrees.
So ball can sometimes both curve through the air a bit and kick sideways off the table a bit.
But if you can visualise, Say, an HZW type(pure)corkscrew wide to rightie's fh
You'll notice that if the righty is hooking slightly then effectively he is receiving topspin. If the righty tries to fade it down the line, the more he comes to the left of the pole, the more he will experience backspin. If he gets right on the pole it will be little spin.
However as there is likely to be some element of normal side there may be some kick off the receiver's rubber which will be affected by whether racket angle is open or closed.
Its quite difficult to work out what the effective spin received merely by thinking about it.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 4:34pm

There really are 27 combinations of topspin/backspin, sidespin left and right, and corkscrewspin left and right. I'll list them in my blog on Monday. (I'm too busy right now, as noted in my blog this morning.) I've done this before, and I'm hoping I can find one of those listings rather than have to tediously write them out again. I think you may be missing the eight combinations of all three spins - such as a topspin-sidespin left-corkscrewspin left serve. (Yes, you can do all three. I'll explain this in my blog on Monday.) 
-Larry Hodges

Your example here demonstrates where the combinations in terms of groups of 2 axis overlap and are really the same thing.  A topspin/left-sidespin serve is really the same thing as a right-corkscrew/left-sidespin serve.  I don't think it's intuitive to think about the spin beyond the combination of 2 axis.

An analogy would be compass points, where the first level is North, South, West, and East.  The second level is NorthWest, SouthWest, NorthEast, and SouthEast.  The 3rd level is North-by-NorthWest, West-by-NorthWest, and etc.  Well, I don't think it's useful to delineate further beyond that 2nd level when explaining the variations.

Draw the circles on the ball like I described and you'll see what I'm talking about.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 4:39pm

There really are 27 combinations of topspin/backspin, sidespin left and right, and corkscrewspin left and right. I'll list them in my blog on Monday. (I'm too busy right now, as noted in my blog this morning.) I've done this before, and I'm hoping I can find one of those listings rather than have to tediously write them out again. I think you may be missing the eight combinations of all three spins - such as a topspin-sidespin left-corkscrewspin left serve. (Yes, you can do all three. I'll explain this in my blog on Monday.) 
-Larry Hodges

Your example here demonstrates where the combinations in terms of groups of 2 axis overlap and are really the same thing.  A topspin/left-sidespin serve is really the same thing as a right-corkscrew/left-sidespin serve.  I don't think it's intuitive to think about the spin beyond the combination of 2 axis.

An analogy would be compass points, where the first level is North, South, West, and East.  The second level is NorthWest, SouthWest, NorthEast, and SouthEast.  The 3rd level is North-by-NorthWest, West-by-NorthWest, and etc.  Well, I don't think it's useful to delineate further beyond that 2nd level when explaining the variations.

Draw the circles on the ball like I described and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I've done that before. Drawing circles is no different than finding the axis of rotation. As I noted, I don't think you are taking combinations of three spins into account. I'll go over the 27 theoretical combinations on Monday (not all are practically possible, such as a pure corkscrewspin), and there will be no redundancies; each will have a different axis of rotation (or no rotation, with no-spin), and each will be a different combo of the three main axis of rotation. (I'm pretty sure the two spins you mention above are distinct, but I'll look at it more closely before I post on Monday.) 
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 05/02/2014 at 4:40pm
www.MDTTC.com
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 4:43pm
"One of the problems here is that we are not allowing for the fact that usually corkscrew and sidespin are not usually pure but are blends of the 2 spins with the axis of spin tilted at around 45 degrees."

Yes, that's why I alluded to the Nirvana Fallacy..."The nirvana fallacy is the informal fallacy of comparing actual things with unrealistic, idealized alternatives. It can also refer to the tendency to assume that there is a perfect solution to a particular problem."

In other words, simply because we can't realistically produce pure corkscrew spin, doesn't mean it does not exist in practical terms. It is not a type of sidespin as DDreamer wants to claim.
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 4:50pm
in a absolutely perfect environment, corkscrew spin - you would be able to parry/hit it, and it would go straight back, since there would be no side or topspin (on any axis) to deal with....however, it would bounce sideways upon landing on the opponent's side?

:)
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 5:00pm

You're a coach? 

Did you read that link I posted? 

I'll take a test afterwards on exactly how sidespin is different from corkscrew spin in terms of how ball behaves after bounce on table and after bounce on racket. And what is the best way to counter a corkscrewspin serve (that is <u style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;">different from how you would counter sidespin)...

Sorry for coming down at you so hard, (it is partly in harmless jest) but your thought process is so difficult to break through...

What standard are you? When receiving ANY type of individual sidespin serves - including corkscrew serves -there are always subtle differences in the means used to return them but fundamentally they are the same. You angle your bat a certain way, you hit the ball at a particular speed etc. For goodness sakes, corkscrews serves are just sidespin serves - they do not require a special training regimen or a complex theoretical framework in order to learn how to handle or understand them. This is a very straightforward area. You are grossly overstating the importance and effect of 'corkscrew spin', and the accompanying theoretical baggage serves no practical purpose.

The bottom line is that when you are returning corkscrews serves you simply treat them as a type of sidespin serves and you use the same general approach and range of strokes for both. You don't not approach them as if they have some fundamentally different type of spin.

I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

in a absolutely perfect environment, corkscrew spin - you would be able to parry/hit it, and it would go straight back, since there would be no side or topspin (on any axis) to deal with....however, it would bounce sideways upon landing on the opponent's side?

:)

Yessir thats right. The real question is would the spin reverse???

Like if it is coming at you with right corkscrew, would it continue rotating the same way or reverse when it dug into the rubber? I go with reverse. I think Confused
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 5:08pm

What standard are you? When receiving ANY type of individual sidespin serves - including corkscrew serves -there are always subtle differences in the means used to return them but fundamentally they are the same. You angle your bat a certain way, you hit the ball at a particular speed etc. For goodness sakes, corkscrews serves are just sidespin serves - they do not require a special training regimen or a complex theoretical framework in order to learn how to handle or understand them. This is a very straightforward area. You are grossly overstating the importance and effect of 'corkscrew spin', and the accompanying theoretical baggage serves no practical purpose.

The bottom line is that when you are returning corkscrews serves you simply treat them as a type of sidespin serves and you use the same general approach and range of strokes for both. You don't not approach them as if they have some fundamentally different type of spin.

While you may be able to get by returning serves with corkscrew by treating them like sidespin, I think is pretty shortsighted to completely overlook an entire category of spin. 

If you would like to remain ignorant to corkscrew spin and fully understanding it, then that is fine. But people on this thread are trying to discuss the benefits of it and how it affects the game, so please refrain from bashing the whole topic.

My corkscrew serves will continue to baffle opponents who try to treat them as sidespin. Tongue

Edited by Reinecke - 05/02/2014 at 5:09pm
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

God bless you suds - that video is super.  I'm sorry if OP got little from his thread, or anybody else except a chance to argue about geometry and physics, but to me that video is worth the two hours I wasted on the forum today.  
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 6:08pm
When I serve, I exclusively use Service spin every time LOL

I thought what actually defined the type of spin was the axis on and direction in which the ball is spinning. Corkscrew spin is definitely a different axis to sidespin. Those two are as much the same as topspin is to sidespin. I think the grey area is when people say corkscrew/under or side/under. But it's pretty clear-cut that corkscrew is it's own thing. 

my 2c. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic