Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

forehand too vertical backhand as well

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: forehand too vertical backhand as well
    Posted: 05/02/2014 at 5:23am
so recently ive been having these bad habit of hitting too vertical on my forehand loop and it give's the ball a very high arc and lots of catapult but also makes it slow as molass, when i say vertical i mean like the racket goes behind my head, and my weight is shifted to the side instead of forward. this might have been cause by me playing tennis lately i love both game and dont want to stop either.

this happen on the backhand as well im simply not putting enough power forward. im brushing too much

in tennis i usually hit more upward not behind my head but more like as soon as i contact the ball i brush upward across my shoulder so i guess now im trying o go upward too much on table tennis and the reason i go behind the head is so i don't hit my temple Ouch this is not on purpose but more like instinctively 

any of you guys have this problem?  how did you guys deal with these chinks in your form suddenly?
butterfly Timo Boll spirit

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
Sponsored Links

ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 7:34am
I had the opposite problem. When I started playing tennis I often brushed the ball too much like a table tennis loop. Sometimes it bounced before the net.

I didn't really over-think it, I found the problem went away naturally the longer I played both sports.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 7:48am
i think it's in your waist rotation and ball contact timing. when you loop, (assuming you are right handed) pivot your waist and partially your knees towards your right side while bringing your racket beside your right knee. you have to crouch slightly making your right knee near your chest as your dip your body when you do your backswing. contact the ball at the side of your body while you are in that pivot position with an angle 40-45 degrees on the blade. follow through your stroke and finish your body rotation with your racket at the side of your forehead as if making a salute. also when you follow through its like your position is your original ready position where your body is parallel towards the table end. using your left arm as a swinging and leverage object will help your body rotateas you do your loops.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 9:13am
Aim to finish your stroke on the left side of your head and press into the blade with your finger between the first and second knuckle just prior to ball contact.
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by boaspirit boaspirit wrote:

so recently ive been having these bad habit of hitting too vertical on my forehand loop and it give's the ball a very high arc and lots of catapult but also makes it slow as molass, when i say vertical i mean like the racket goes behind my head, and my weight is shifted to the side instead of forward. this might have been cause by me playing tennis lately i love both game and dont want to stop either.

this happen on the backhand as well im simply not putting enough power forward. im brushing too much

in tennis i usually hit more upward not behind my head but more like as soon as i contact the ball i brush upward across my shoulder so i guess now im trying o go upward too much on table tennis and the reason i go behind the head is so i don't hit my temple Ouch this is not on purpose but more like instinctively 

any of you guys have this problem?  how did you guys deal with these chinks in your form suddenly?

Hi boaspirit
In troubleshooting strokes you need to look at what has gone before.

You say your swing is too much upward and not enough forward. Therefore, at the beginning your racket must be starting with the racket below the contact point.
You need to consciously line up the racket behind the contact point so that its natural to swing forward at the ball. You may also be letting the ball drop too much.
so go for
weight and racket behind the ball
more closed racket
swing consciously forward
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 1:33pm

You're probably not standing correctly i.e. too upright.  Your feet should be wide apart (wider than your shoulders), knees bent, and leaning slightly forward.  Having the correct form helps to keep the loop going forward instead of up.  Go on youtube and look for looping tutorials or look at videos of some of the top players for examples of the correct posture.

OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

Originally posted by boaspirit boaspirit wrote:

Hi boaspirit
In troubleshooting strokes you need to look at what has gone before.

You say your swing is too much upward and not enough forward. Therefore, at the beginning your racket must be starting with the racket below the contact point.
You need to consciously line up the racket behind the contact point so that its natural to swing forward at the ball. You may also be letting the ball drop too much.
so go for
weight and racket behind the ball
more closed racket
swing consciously forward

I did tried it like u said but then my contact was too early and the ball went into the net. i think i need to hit like 100 forehand back and forth with my buddy... as soon as i notice the problem i tried to close the racket more and tired to swing forward but most of the time it goes into the net

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

You're probably not standing correctly i.e. too upright.  Your feet should be wide apart (wider than your shoulders), knees bent, and leaning slightly forward.  Having the correct form helps to keep the loop going forward instead of up.  Go on youtube and look for looping tutorials or look at videos of some of the top players for examples of the correct posture.

I'am standing correctly that i know. but i think its something like yogibear was saying above im probably not rotating my body forward instead im just pushing my weight from my right foot to my left foot which would probably create and upward moving loop instead of a powerful forward trajectory loop

@yogibear thanks i think you hit it spot on i think this will solve the racket behind the head problem as well

sorry for double posting

Edited by boaspirit - 05/02/2014 at 2:02pm

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 2:27pm
There are two basic items which determine the vertical/horizontal ratio of the swing plane.

1. Height of the racket at the start of the forward swing.  This is not necessarily the height of the racket at the end of the backswing.  Most advanced players initially take the racket back lower than they really need and then make the necessary slight upward adjustment after the ball bounces and they can accurately determine the height of their contact point.  Against underspin there is not much if any adjustment since you most often want to be quite vertical.  Note that for slow looping vs loop killing of underspin the racket starts much lower.

In your case you may not be making the slight upward adjustment for balls that have really heavy topspin or for ones that bounce higher than expected.

2. The forward/backward distance where you make contact with the ball.  Since the swing is anchored at the shoulder the farther back from the table (relative to your shoulder) the contact point is made the more vertical the swing will be. 

In your case you may be letting the ball get too far back in your stance.  This is more common with looping underspin, but can also happen against topspin.  Try focusing on making your contact with the ball more in front of your right toe (maybe more even with the middle of the left foot).  This should flatten out the swing.  Focusing on the more forward contact point may also help you get more of the needed rotation that yogi mentions in his post.

Of course you can only move the contact point forward within the hitting zone (approximately from toe of left foot to heel of right foot).  Too far forward and the stroke will lose all its power.  If you have to move the contact point forward of the left foot then most likely you really need to have a higher racket starting point for the forward swing.

Note: Right/left as written above is for a right handed player.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 05/02/2014 at 2:30pm
CroNone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CroNone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 12:32am
I'm having this exact same problem too. Good to know that others have experienced this. For some reason when I see a ball that I need to lift i.e. backspin or a push I "wipe on" or stroke upwards and sideways with the end of my stroke ending up looking like I am holding a stop sign rather than my bat ending in front of my face. It drives me insane because I can correct it in drills and practice but not in a game. It just unconsciously returns.

I think that it's an unconscious fear that if I stroke too forward it will go long. I think that I will just need to multiball the proper stroke in practice until it feels natural. Super frustrating when you film your game and see the bad habits repeated over and over.
Hopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 5:29am
It helps if you mentally focus on creating spin i.s.o. focus on speed/power. If you're, like Cronone, unconsciously fear to continue you're forward swing or decelerate before contact, it might help if you make use of keywords like "spin", "accelerate" or something alike.
This could help to overcome bad habits.

I recently first noticed I decelerate my forward swing when looping underspin and then realized I focused and unconsciously reacted on the relatively slow speed of a backsspin ball. After this discovey, whenever I saw a backspin ball, I started using a keyword to focus on the amount of spin instead and as a result I started accelerating my upward snap to overcome the amount of spin.
Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
Donic Bluefire JP02 (2.0 - Forehand)
Donic Bluefire JP02 (2.0 - Backhand)
Hopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 5:37am
As for the OP's problem, I think above mentioned focus on spin should be combined with a focus on the contact point of the ball.

First you need to identify the amount of spin on the ball at an early stage. If you realize the ball has a fair amount of topspin, you know you have to contact the ball at the top (say 1 or 2 o'clock). By focussing on this contact point, you will unconsciously adjust your racketangle and swing (this adjustment will improve over time by frequent training).

Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
Donic Bluefire JP02 (2.0 - Forehand)
Donic Bluefire JP02 (2.0 - Backhand)
CroNone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CroNone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 4:33pm
Thankyou for the tip. What I am really trying to do is solidly get my feet behind the ball and take it more in front of me. I think that it's because I position my body too sideways and take the ball at my side therefore the weight is going vertical but not forward and I'm swiping the ball upwards rather than looping it.
Samsanov is an example of what I am trying to get at...this is the ideal foot position to have weight going foreward

Funny - I just saw Ma Long do what I am talking about here at 2:36 but I think he is taking it easy on this young guy and isn't being as strict on his aggression as usual

Great tip - I definitely use key words like "up" for lifting strokes, "move your legs", "get down" :) Always reminding the subconcious.

Edited by CroNone - 10/23/2015 at 4:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic