FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Footwork and timing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Footwork and timing
    Posted: 05/20/2014 at 10:49am
Looking for tips on Footwork and timing - specifically footwork timing.
I find a lot of times (most of the time) I'm standing there watching my shot. To make sure it arrives safely to the other side of the table.

Do people have any tips or sayings that they use to make sure they are moving to the right location for the next shot. I remember a coach once told me a phrase he used to say mentally to keep his feet moving in rhythm with the ball - sadly I didn't write it down. (Maybe subconsciously, I knew - I ain't movin! - great CD)

Thanks in advance
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Sponsored Links

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2014 at 1:33pm

The sooner you get and process information about the incoming ball, spin, speed, height, depth, direction, the sooner you can decide where to go and what to do. So generally you want to look at the opponents body(CG), then arm, then paddle, just prior to making contact with the ball. For example if you CH to the FH and they hop back and start a large back swing then chances are they are going to loop or drive. If the arm dips down below the table it will probably be a loop with more spin then speed. If it stays above the table probably going to be a drive etc etc.... The thing is once the ball leaves your blade you need to transition your visual fixation to the other player. 

Where do I need to look to get the information I need so I can make a good decision about what to do?

Ha it's the OODA loop!!!!!

Of course in the beginning you going to loose points trying to do this but after awhile you will start to have matrix moments.

Edited by V-Griper - 05/20/2014 at 1:35pm
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2014 at 2:29pm
Multi-point falkenberg drill. Fixed point works as well for, say backhand-to-backhand then stepping around. Multiball at a really fast pace helps a great deal, too. The idea is to keep your body on the move to break the habit.

In real-life circumstances, you need to devise a plan to manipulate the situation in your favor so as to get the desirable return, so that you can move into place and be one step ahead, like this.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2014 at 4:04pm
I am now going through the transitioning that you need to go through.  The first thing I corrected was to eliminate the standing and watching my shot.  When I hit a ball I no longer need to know if it went in.  I assume it went in so I get ready to return my opponents hit.  To do that I watch his body movement and his paddle angle.  I try to stay low and move in the direction their body and stroke indicate. 

For me the key is to stay low.  Once I stand up straight I lose.  When I hit the ball I think "I hope they hit it back so I can play some more".  Play until the point is over, not until you think it's over.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2014 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I am now going through the transitioning that you need to go through.  The first thing I corrected was to eliminate the standing and watching my shot.  When I hit a ball I no longer need to know if it went in.  I assume it went in so I get ready to return my opponents hit.  To do that I watch his body movement and his paddle angle.  I try to stay low and move in the direction their body and stroke indicate. 

For me the key is to stay low.  Once I stand up straight I lose.  When I hit the ball I think "I hope they hit it back so I can play some more".  Play until the point is over, not until you think it's over.

I'm personally in the middle of drilling out this same thing. I've had time to practice a lot lately, and two of the biggest things are mentioned above: watching my own shot before moving, and not staying low. I have this tendency from a few years without practice to serve and then stand up before getting down to make a shot. Even if I get myself moving okay, It's much harder on your body, much less efficient, and throws off my timing if you have to force yourself down first and then make a shot. I've been really focusing on timing and staying down. But it's still hard to get used to because bad habits are drilled in hard. All you can do about it is focus on the right thing and practice. You can't get rid of doing it easily without practice. As said above, drills that keep you moving will help eliminate the habit of watching to see if your shot lands, because when doing drills the ball always comes back. 
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2014 at 5:19pm
Yeah, I have a hard time "staying down" as well. I'll start out okay (returning serve and such), but then a couple of shots into a rally and I pop right up again. It's a really hard thing to keep staying down no matter how hard you try to. No doubt that drilling it over and over is the way to go.

I think a lot of the "watching your shots land' is related to confidence (or lack thereof) in your shots. I have that problem too.

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2014 at 7:02pm
I have a contest with myself.  I try to see how many shots I can go in the rally before I stand up.  At the start I had trouble making it past the serve return.  Over a period of months I can no go 5 or 6 hits before I stand up.  Sometimes I make it through long rallies staying low the whole time.  The longer I stay low, the more points I win.  It's a nice incentive.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 1:57am
Thanks everyone for responses. 
Actually, someone might be VGriper once mentioned in another thread - Zhang Ji Ke hops with every bounce of the ball. 

Basically doing the split step when the opponent contacts the ball. Then making quick adjustments to make the stroke. Basically, you need to be stationary and balance when hitting the stroke. I am trying to figure out away to link the ball movement with the feet movement.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic