Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ultimate 7-ply fast wood blade? Stiga? Nittaku?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Ultimate 7-ply fast wood blade? Stiga? Nittaku?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Larnus View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultimate 7-ply fast wood blade? Stiga? Nittaku?
    Posted: 05/21/2014 at 10:29am

Hi,

I am a fast offensive power looper who likes to play near to mid table position. I am currently using Rosewood V, which I really love for its control and lovely spin - and generally decent power, however, I wished I had a bit more speed.

On the forehand I often alternate between Xiom Tau, Xiom China and sometimes DHS Hurricane 3; although I'm mostly settled on Tau (for sheer power, awesome spinny serves, and silly dangerous dippy loops). On the backhand I've started having great success with Donic Baracuda.

I'm looking for a faster blade which will give me the extra zip I need for stronger blocks (RW5 is a bit weak here), less tiring loops, close to the control of RW5, decent spin and 20-30% more speed i.e. close to carbon but with more feel/dwell time.

I am considering the Ebenholz VII, Rosewood VII and Clipper CR from Stiga. I also have a huge soft spot for Nittaku as I almost exclusively played with their blades 10-15yrs ago and loved their feeling - but have found it increasingly difficult to locate their blades (and reviews!) where I was living in China, which is easier now with Ebay - and moving to Hong Kong etc..!

Of the above I've only used Rosewood VII - which my coach has lent me for a few weeks and I actually like it quite a lot - the speed is just right, control is similar to RW5 but it's a bit too hard to use with Xiom Tau (now difficult to lift backspin over the net, especially when flicking - therefore I've been forced to mostly use Vega China which is a bit slow for my liking). Unfortunately, Stiga have decided to jack up their prices for hardwood blades by around $30-$40 in the last few months on Dandoy - which breaks my $100 limit (about to have a kid - so pennies matter!). A friend is offering their Ebenholz VII a very attractive price, but I hear it's even harder than RW7 and even lower throw. Is clipper CR right for me? Will I find the extra power I need there?

In the Nittaku camp, I can only dig up reviews of older 5-ply blades like Acoustic, Violin and the very old septear - all which I imagine will be too slow especially for the new ball. Any one have experience some of the hot new Nittaku 7-plies like the cheaper barwells, Ludeacks etc?

Also, as an aside which is Nittaku handle is thicker - FL or ST? I used to play with their AN handles, but I don't think they have blades with that any more.

Cheers for any help you can give me! I'm also open to other suggestions. 

Edited by Larnus - 05/21/2014 at 11:26am
---------------
Blade #1: Stiga Rosewood VII
FH: Xiom Omega Pro 4
BH: Xiom Vega Europe

Blade #2: Stiga Rosewood V
FH: Tibhar MX-S
BH: Xiom Omega Pro 4
Sponsored Links

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:08am
You can t go wrong with Clipper CR
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:09am
Try the DHS PG7, it is a 7 ply all wood blade. Handles, both the flared and strait are nice. Plus it is cheap, 25.00 to 30.00 dollars.
Shifter
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 12:00pm
I've REEEEEEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLY been loving Ebenholz 7 if you don't care about budget as much. Preferring it over Viscaria actually. After getting used to it and practicing with it, I'm really in love with it. But the PG7 and Clipper are always awesome choices too. Much cheaper. You can get them both for less than one Ebenholz. The thing about Ebenholz and Rosewood to me is that really extra awesome feel, and they just look really cool too. But I've always bought used. I'd still pay the money for one now after knowing how much I like it. I've heard great things about Rosewood 7 as well but have only played with the 5. 

The PG7 for me was faster than clipper, but has the worst feel of the three. For lack of a better way to say it, it has a 'cheap' feel to me. Could just be the one I had, but it still performs very well. 

If you get a clipper just get one that isn't super light and it will be fast with good feel. The light Clippers are not good in my opinion, and feel horrible and hollow. But it's all preference I guess. The heavier ones are amazing. 
patwhall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patwhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 1:24pm
You should try DHS Hurricane Long 2/3 or DHS 506.
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 2:24pm
I have a Hurricane Long 3 with strait handle and I 5 PG7. As far as I can tell they all play close to one another. The commercial Hurricane blades are not any better than the PG7 in my opinion.
Shifter
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 2:42pm
There is no ultimate 7ply allwood blade but maybe ludeack would be a good choice. Clipper cr is just great. But its not light and head feels heavy. So its not great for a close - mid distance player.   Rosewood or ebenholz are too hard and both headheavy.

P700 is a bit slower than a clipper and rosewood but head is lighter.

Ludeack 's head is not heavy but p700 is even lighter. On the other hand ludeack feels better. Its amazing , totaly same construction but the feeling is different. P700 is just fine but its a Dream spinning those sliced balls with ludeack. And its really easy to block with it. Key thing is ludeack offers good dwell-feeling-arc but still its easy to block with it. I was playing with a 5ply allwod blade and its easy to adjust to ludeack. I have say that St handle is slim and round. I had to wait for a while to getting along with it.

Ps: barwell fleet and ludeack fleet are great too. Both are not that silly fast and ball feeling is there. Nothing like butterfly alc stuff. Barwell is a bit smoother. Very very balanced, does everything right but it's just too expensive.

Edited by TSuBaSa - 05/21/2014 at 2:44pm
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 2:45pm
Clipper is quite different from Rosewood. All limba makes for softer, deeper feel, but unfortunately super bouncy. You will not have nearly the same control you have with Rosewood. Rosewood 7 is your best bet from these blades in my opinion.
However, if you dare to buy a synthetic blade, you can have both good feel and good control. Think about it.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Fidelio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fidelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 2:46pm
I've used both DHS 506 and PG 7.  Both are nice blades and they are somewhat similar to each other (as the composition is basically identical), however, the 506 is a few millimeters thicker which translates into a bit less flex - easier blocking, and the looping is not bad.  Overall, I wouldn't argue that there is a huge difference between the blades but to me the 506 just feels a bit better overall. I'd recommend it as a good 7-ply blade.  I've heard good things about Korbel SK7 as well.
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 4:09pm
Ludeak or korbel sk7, cheapest among all and far far better.
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 8:29pm
try the adidas challenge speed. it is surprisingly fast for a 7 ply limba blade
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 8:30pm
what about Yasaka Extra Special?  anyone gonna speak for that blade?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 8:33pm
the extra special isn't that fast
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 10:05pm
must be faster than Ludeak tho, right?
slowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 10:18pm
How about Yasaka Max Wood?
I think it's pretty fast. It pairs up pretty well with H3/TG3 Neo.

Feedback
Viscaria
FH: H3 NEO
BH: T05
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:35pm
max wood is like a faster p700

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

try the adidas challenge speed. it is surprisingly fast for a 7 ply limba blade

I like that one too. Paired with xiom sigma II euro, it pays like in a dream. Tibhar samsonov force pro, Nittaku ludeack pro or Barwell are also good candidates. Nowadays stiga clippers are unfortunately not any more what they use to be.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Larnus View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2014 at 12:45am
Thanks everyone for all the fantastic feedback! 

TSuBaSa:
I have to say, I'm leaning towards the Nittaku Ludeack - is it the Power version you have?  Is there much difference between normal and power?

The Pro version from Taiwan is above my budget - and I'd consider the Ludeack fleet if my budget was higher (unfortunately it isn't!). 

I have to say I'm also a bit biased towards Nittaku since I had delightful affair with their blades when I was at university over 10yrs ago.  :D

Yogi:
I heard that the Adidas blade doesn't pair so well with Chinese style rubbers due to the lack of lift.  I'm getting this issue slightly with the RW7 already - wouldn't this be problem?

slowman:
That Yasaka blde is intriguing.  What's are spins like on the Max wood?  Since I loop close to the table I will need decent dwell time to lift quick balls. 

Thanks again everyone for helping this EJ-newbie (even though I've been playing for 25+yrs!)!

Edited by Larnus - 05/22/2014 at 12:46am
---------------
Blade #1: Stiga Rosewood VII
FH: Xiom Omega Pro 4
BH: Xiom Vega Europe

Blade #2: Stiga Rosewood V
FH: Tibhar MX-S
BH: Xiom Omega Pro 4
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2014 at 1:06am
I have the non power version. My teammate is using power version. There is not much difference but power version is a bit stiffer so there is a bit less arc. It's closer to clipper but still crispier.

I also tried Max Wood and extra special. I hated the Max Wood. The old Max Wood was really great. New one (it has thin blue secondary ply) feels terrible. I don't know why but there is less dwell, and low throw angle. It's easy to block passively but that's it...

Extra offensive feels a lot different. It's thin but hard. Not that fast but feels like it (thanks to the hard top ply). Great for blocking, hitting or driving close to the table but it's not that easy to loop sliced balls.
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

nittakuball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nittakuball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2014 at 1:09am
http://www.teessport.com/blades-c5/butterfly-timbershot-off-table-tennis-blade-p8919

http://www.teessport.com/table-tennis-blades-c5/butterfly-finewood-off-table-tennis-blade-p8752

DHS 032
Butterfly Bryce Highspeed

Singapore & Canada

sonykurniawan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonykurniawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2014 at 1:11am
I have ludeack and SK 7. Both are awesome blade and pairs well with medium hard rubbers like vega pro.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2014 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Larnus Larnus wrote:

Thanks everyone for all the fantastic feedback! 

Yogi:
I heard that the Adidas blade doesn't pair so well with Chinese style rubbers due to the lack of lift.  I'm getting this issue slightly with the RW7 already - wouldn't this be problem?

nope. the adidas challenge speed is very good with neo h3's and globe 999 nationals. also, their strike carbon sold thousands of blades in a span of a month or 2 in china and most of the users use h3 

mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2014 at 6:45pm
clipper wood/ clipper CR. enough speed for high level games, great feel and its tested by time, ive tried those new clippers as compareed to an old clipper wod hey are actually not bad specially those heavier ones like 95g and above
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

Lalo. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2014 at 7:05pm
Nittaku Ludeack Pro 4ever!
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2014 at 4:59am
Adidas Challenge Speed hands down the best 7 ply offensive blade for me
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2014 at 5:03am
Nothing comes even close to DHS 08.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2014 at 6:48am
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

come to think of it, yeah its a good 7 ply wood, havent crossed my mind until you mentioned it, but yeah definitely a good blade
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2014 at 9:59am
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

come to think of it, yeah its a good 7 ply wood, havent crossed my mind until you mentioned it, but yeah definitely a good blade

the 08 national version is oen of the best i have tried. even the dhs 60th anniv. special 08 is still good though not as good as the national version

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic