6 [15.00%]
2 [5.00%]
29 [72.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2014 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Recap of poll votes

8 say over 1800

17 say under 1800

I say he is definitely over 1800 !

I find it funny that every seems to know which player is "the kid" without asking. I look at that video and I see two kids.LOL

I assume we're talking about the younger kid. We have a 10 year old in our club whose play looks the same or slightly better, but very similar overall.  His level is about 1600. Being a kid, I've seen him beat 1800 players but also lose to 1400 players.  So for this video, I'd go 1500-1600.

Kid, means the smaller person, who is just a little taller than the table. The other player is over 18 and considered an adult.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 06/14/2014 at 2:41pm
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Sponsored Links

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2014 at 2:59pm

Kid, means the smaller person, who is just a little taller than the table. The other player is over 18 and considered an adult.

In your world-view, maybe.  In my world-view:

No grey hair; no paunch around the waist; doesn't have wraps around his knees and elbows; probably has no idea what "reading glasses" are for

=

"kid".
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2014 at 5:44pm
+1

haha.

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2014 at 7:27pm

Kid update

He is attending a TT training camp in Central Russia in June and will return home June 29 to play in another of these tournaments.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2014 at 9:52am
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Red kid - 1700. 
Blue kid -1650.

Here is recent local tournament match Sunday 6/29 for the red kid.

LINK

Do you still think he is 1700 ?

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2014 at 11:41am
I said U 2000, based on videos Ive seen on adults with an actual rating., Americans are funny, cause when ever they are asked to rate a no rated player, they rate them very low. From what Ive seen, 1800 isnt all that good and I think this kid would beat most of them pretty easy. Could perhaps struggle against some styles, like most kids, but over all consistent enough to beat most sub 2000 players that Ive seen.
The holy grail
JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2014 at 11:43am
Red kid - 1850 
Blue kid - 1600
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2014 at 11:44am
However, the kid in the blue does serve illegally almost every single time. There is no way that he does 6 inch tosses…more like 2 inches. 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by JonathanVN JonathanVN wrote:

However, the kid in the blue does serve illegally almost every single time. There is no way that he does 6 inch tosses…more like 2 inches. 

Can you cut him some slack because of his height ?

He is not gaining any advantage from the lack of toss !

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 06/30/2014 at 12:50pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2014 at 1:11pm

Can you cut him some slack because of his height ?

He is not gaining any advantage from the lack of toss !

I wasn't being any harder on him than anybody else who plays the game. The fact is, the rule clearly says that the ball should be tossed at least 6 inches. Now granted, most people do not follow this rule, so I will cut him some slack, especially because he is short like you said. 

And he actually may be gaining an advantage from the lack of toss, it just may not affect you like it could others. The problem is, since he is young and doesn't know how to manipulate the rule and spin the ball from his hand, he may eventually learn such things. 

I just don't want him to be called out at a tournament if he starts beating someone. 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2014 at 12:54am
He may be around 1800.  Although his form is good, he lacks the experience to pass that level right now, I think.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2014 at 10:34am

Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Red kid - 1700. 
Blue kid -1650.

Here is recent local tournament match Sunday 6/29 for the red kid.

LINK

Do you still think he is 1700 ?

Jokers be lacing their salads with those special California mushrooms if they think he is only 1700. Still, it can be easy to mis-classify someone from a peak at a vid. I have more than once stuck my foot my mouth deep doing the same thing. 
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2014 at 9:53am

Red kid - 1850 
Blue kid - 1600

07/13/14 video of red kid in another local tournament. The gal he is playing is the top female player on her University TT team.

Do you still think the red kid is 1850 ?

LINK
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2014 at 12:38pm
Is that the new ball?  Sounds different, and some weird rallies.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 4:52am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Is that the new ball?  Sounds different, and some weird rallies.

Not the new ball !

The rallies may seem weird because the Gal has LP's on her BH.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 4:50pm
Update on the Kid - 10 years old

Recent 9/14/14 tournament where he finished 19th of 30, in a very strong adult field.

In this video, he plays a female, my estimate at least 2100, who finished 9th of the 30. One guy who is at least 2200-2300 finished 12th in this tournament, usually beats the female previously mentioned.

VIDEO
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 4:23pm
He certainly looks a lot better in this video, to me.  Quality of opponent makes so much difference.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 5:26pm
is that his parent in the 3rd set that went to the side of table to take a pic? Very odd! If you take tt seriously, get the hell out there during a game
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by hhca hhca wrote:

is that his parent in the 3rd set that went to the side of table to take a pic? Very odd! If you take tt seriously, get the hell out there during a game

I don't think it was a parent.  He was in other videos taking pictures of other players.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 6:09pm
was it Rob of the outpost? :)

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 5:51am
The young boy is improving, for a while it looked like every rally was the same, it wasn't until the girl varied her backhand placement and shot selection, I would do shorter serves to him-myself
I still believe he should start doing legal serves, ....otherwise well otherwise
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
aob View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 12:03pm
The kid is nowhere near 1800.  I've played with kids his age or thereabouts who are much more rounded, have legal serves, better form, better footwork.  I probably have a 40-50% record against these kids.  They're probably around 1600 max, where I'm 1400 rising.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 8:35am
Originally posted by aob aob wrote:

The kid is nowhere near 1800.  I've played with kids his age or thereabouts who are much more rounded, have legal serves, better form, better footwork.  I probably have a 40-50% record against these kids.  They're probably around 1600 max, where I'm 1400 rising.

Using USATT estimates here

If your using Ratings Central Rating estimate, it is on the average 156 points below the USATT ratings per their website.

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2014 at 11:50am

Update: The 10 year old kid is playing in competition in Russia, for only Russian country players, the top players in his age group, I think 20 were invited.
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2014 at 1:00pm

Update on the Kid - 10 years old

Recent 9/14/14 tournament where he finished 19th of 30, in a very strong adult field.

In this video, he plays a female, my estimate at least 2100, who finished 9th of the 30. One guy who is at least 2200-2300 finished 12th in this tournament, usually beats the female previously mentioned.

VIDEO

If she's 2100-2200, he's clearly under 2000.  The way I saw it was that she was toying with him. She was running him around all over the table.  He got a few good shots in, but it was often on her mistake.  It almost seemed that if she wanted to she could just counter his loops to end the point - she did it a few times and it was very nonchalant.  She intentionally served everything long to his BH corner daring him to step around and loop.  She wasn't worried about the loop and used it to run him to the other corner. 
I could see him being 1800-1900, but that's probably the highest I would go right now.  
He also needs to learn a little about tactics - he fed right into her game.  Sometimes you need to open with your BH rather than run around and hit with your FH - especially if your opponent has shown that your opening FH loop not only doesn't present a problem, but gives them the advantage.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2014 at 1:27pm
I think this may be a case of training for the future.  That is, his coaches have him doing a lot of things that are not optimal for his size and reach at this time but which will be his fundamental tactics when is a little older and physically larger and stronger.

I once overheard a coach at a tournament tell one of his juniors something to the effect " I don't care if you are missing all those loops.  You are doing great trying to move into position.  Keep it up and soon they will be landing and you will really have a higher level game."    He was not concerned at all with her results at that tournament.  He just wanted to make sure that she was ingraining the techniques and tactics she would need for the higher level of play he was trying to get her to in the future.

Maybe something like that is going on here.  I think Larry Hodges blogged about this dilemma between playing with tactics that will give you the best chance of winning now at the expense of developing habits that will make it harder to develop the tactics and techniques that you will need later and playing with tactics that give you less chance of winning now but help you develop the skills you will need at higher levels.  He noted that part of the problem is you often need to win a lot when young to get recognized so that you get access to high level coaching and possibly have part of your training costs subsidized.

Mark  
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2014 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I think this may be a case of training for the future.  That is, his coaches have him doing a lot of things that are not optimal for his size and reach at this time but which will be his fundamental tactics when is a little older and physically larger and stronger.

I once overheard a coach at a tournament tell one of his juniors something to the effect " I don't care if you are missing all those loops.  You are doing great trying to move into position.  Keep it up and soon they will be landing and you will really have a higher level game."    He was not concerned at all with her results at that tournament.  He just wanted to make sure that she was ingraining the techniques and tactics she would need for the higher level of play he was trying to get her to in the future.

Maybe something like that is going on here.  I think Larry Hodges blogged about this dilemma between playing with tactics that will give you the best chance of winning now at the expense of developing habits that will make it harder to develop the tactics and techniques that you will need later and playing with tactics that give you less chance of winning now but help you develop the skills you will need at higher levels.  He noted that part of the problem is you often need to win a lot when young to get recognized so that you get access to high level coaching and possibly have part of your training costs subsidized.

Mark  

Great point.  I didn't take that into account.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2014 at 1:49pm
The kid looked several hundred points lower level than the  girl chopper, but then again, this kid is already above average USATT club player level...
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2014 at 2:13pm

I know nothing, looking for my rubber cleaner. I dislike these rating posts. Kid has a few skills.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2014 at 5:38pm
So hard to accurately rate someone from Vids. My form is terrible, but I have experience and can wiggle out wins here and here. Some players, especially young coached players, have excellent form, but lose a lot.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic