FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Advice on Footwork

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on Footwork
    Posted: 06/24/2014 at 10:29am
Hi guys!

I've been playing table tennis on and off for just under a year now. Recently though (the last few months), I've been getting really into it. There are a lot of active players around where I live, but I don't really have a coach to help me.

I play with other people about 5 hours a week, and I probably practice myself about 2 hours a week.

I recently started to record myself practicing to try and see what I could do to improve.

Here is a short video of me practicing with a machine. I have it set to topspin. The machine is shooting one ball to my forehand and one to my backhand.

One thing I've noticed though, is that my opposite foot does this rolling action when I try to do a strong forehand counter.

My question is, is it normal to have this rolling action when you're quickly moving from your ready position to the far end of the table for a forehand shot? Is it something that I should be trying to correct with maybe some better footwork?

Also, any general advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mickd - 06/24/2014 at 10:32am
Sponsored Links

DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2014 at 10:47am
When you go to your FH you are really just moving your left foot and your right foot just gets dragged along for the ride. Your need to move/skip using both feet.

I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2014 at 11:08am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU9ThmrBNFY
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2014 at 11:50am
At the moment your action is mainly forearm and wrist, so you're getting away with it...

When your start rotating your torso for strong FH shots you may injure an ankle or stress your knees...

Get on the balls of your feet, then you'll be fine...

Edited by CraneStyle - 06/24/2014 at 3:38pm
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
dannyreventon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyreventon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2014 at 12:19pm
I find your backhand a bit weird and I find that you don't rotate your hips when doing FH loops. :)
Main Setup:
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Neo H3 Prov 39deg
BH: Xiom Musa

Stiga Clipper Wood
FH: Neo Skyline 3
BH: Stiga Neos Sound ST

Avenger 5
FH: Neo H3
Bh: Xiom Musa

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2014 at 4:10pm
Do you play or watch tennis? It's often seen professional tennis players use that rolling action when recovering from backhand to wide forehand from the baseline. Other than that, I think your shoes also play a role in why you do that.

Edited by zeio - 06/24/2014 at 4:16pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2014 at 5:42pm
Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

I think I see now. I generally find it hard to get into a good position, especially when the ball goes cross court like that. That said, what you said DDreamer makes a lot of sense. I'll slow the ball down and work a little more on my side step motion. Maybe with better footwork, that won't be a problem anymore!

Mikepong, I've seen that video before, but it was quite some time ago. Seeing it again now really helps. Thanks!

CraneStyle, I'll definitely work on that. Thanks!

Dannyreventon, any tips on what I should do to improve my backhand? Sorry about the camera angle. You should see what I use to hold my camera in place... haha. I'll get a proper stand soon.

Zeio, I do watch a lot of tennis, but I don't play it much. I guess in tennis it makes more sense, since they have a lot wider of an area to cover.

I'll upload another video after I get another chance to train with the machine!

Your replies are very much appreciated.

Edited by mickd - 06/24/2014 at 5:42pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2014 at 6:19pm
Like Dreamer iz sayin'... your right foot is draggin' sum serious azz. It is also NOT behind you, so you are not able to put much of a lick on the ball, also makes you hit out of zone and not on balance.

You also seem to dip your torso excessively downward. it is good to have a crouch, but each time you move to your FH corner to do a loop, you are dipping Ur tail like you want it to touch it to the ground. You are not rotating your torso much and that doesn't help you get much stability, control or power on your loop.

You also seem very reluctant to move your right foot, almost like you would want it to stay in place. What you ought to do is use either a 2-step foot work to move into position, or do a hop step pushing  off with your right foot to get there. Be sure before impact to plant your right foot and get it at least somewhat behind you.

You are also (because you are not moving your right foot into position) being excessively wide on your stance at impact. Side wide that you are not using waist rotation as much as you could. That takes your legs and waist out of the equation, which is giving away a LOT of control and power. when you use 1/3 of your body, you have less stability and control, since you are using less large muscle groups effectively.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2014 at 7:27pm
also, try using your free arm to help your shoulders pivot together with your waist and torso. it will improve your timing and have a better forehand stroke aside from being part of the side to side footwork or 1 step footwork as others call it
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2014 at 9:13pm
Great advice guys.

I just tried the footwork out (just in an empty corridor) and I see what I was previously doing, and what I need to do.

Previously, my right foot was being held firmly on the ground as my left foot reached out and got in position. Then, my weight gets transferred onto my left foot as my right foot is just dragged closer as I take the shot. This is what was causing the rolling action.

I will try what you are all saying and launch off my right leg instead. Once I get that movement smoothed in, I'll work on rotating my torso.

The place I generally play at has about 40 active players. At the moment, I'd say I'm in the bottom 10%. My goal is to move up to the bottom 20% within a few months. With all your help, I'm sure that will be possible! So thank you so much.

P.S. yogi_bear, I saw a video of you practicing in the MYTT members' video thread. Your strokes looked really solid :)
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2014 at 9:18pm
I think you are not starting with the right strokes in general. You also need to establish a better grip especially on the backhand.
I would start off with trying to develop from the basics starting with your counter hits and then moving up. 

This guide would be a good template to use for your development. Take note of each class of shot and especially the grip.

DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2014 at 2:17am
Thanks V-Griper. That video has a lot of good footage. There are just so many things to improve on. I'll definitely be taking a step back and reviewing the basics.

I'll pay more attention to my backhand the next time I practice it. It seems like my backhand is more of a midair flick, without any follow through or a good starting position. I'll definitely try to fix that stroke!

I'm getting super pumped for my next practice session.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic