Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which spin ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which spin ?
    Posted: 06/27/2014 at 9:48pm
Which of the basic spins do you think is served the most often at the higher levels in singles?

1. Under
2. Top
3. Side
4. Side-under
5. Side-top
6. Cork-screw
7. No-spin

Is that spin served significantly more often (say double ) than the next closest spin?

Which of the basic spins do you think is served the least?

In watching some of the slow motion compilations I was struck by the number of serves that seemed to be pure side-spin.  It is a small sample size so there could be no correlation to what happens overall.  I almost never serve pure side-spin so I began to wonder if I should be serving it more often.

Mark

Sponsored Links

kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2014 at 10:17pm
depends on style. overall though, you see mostly side under and side top. they're good for 3rd ball attackers. xu xin uses these.

for ppl who play fast attacks and loops on both sides like ma long, no spin is predominant

for control and power loopers, underspin is fairly common since it's low-risk in that even though everyone at the high levels can attack it, they can't do so strongly. - ccy

pure top is served the least lol. 

i'm not sure side, side-under, side-top, corkscrew?? should be separate. most players mix sidespin with top, under, and a little on no-spin (there is spin, but it's so light it's negligible) if you really did serve completely no spin at high levels, you're asking for a net drop or flip kill 
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2014 at 10:27pm
I have not idea but when I want a cheap point I serve a short serve under under spin ball.  This wins me a lot of point from higher level players. 

Most of the time I serve long because I want to get into the rally.  If the return isn't good I get a third ball attack.

When I get tired I do what I call dribble serves.  These are short without much spin.  I hope the opponent will hit them up so I can attack them.

I try to never do the same serve two time in a row.   I don't what the opponent to calibrate his return. 
I think it is important to have many different serves so opponent never figures one out.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2014 at 11:57pm
Short/half long: Obviously sidespin variations of all kinds with different degrees of spin.  For pure serves, backspin and light backspin is more common than pure topspin and light topspin.  The beauty of sidespin and pure backspin is that it is relatively easy to disguise the degree of spin with contact point deception and a foot stomp.  The ball trajectory doesn't reveal itself as quickly to the untrained eye until it is too late and at the highest levels, they don't need a huge popup to kill the ball, just something that is high or that isn't loaded with spin even if low.

Truly Long serves: I would guess topspin only because being late to the ball or getting something like an ace is more important and topspin controls the ball best at high speeds.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2014 at 4:21am
Actually placement is more important component at that level. If a receiver knows where the ball is going to bounce, and he can get into position in time, he's going to be aggressive no matter what the spin. That's why you see so much sidepin. It's the swerve through the air that puts doubt and consequent hesitation into the receivers' reaction.
At least that's what I've been told.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Short/half long: Obviously sidespin variations of all kinds with different degrees of spin.  For pure serves, backspin and light backspin is more common than pure topspin and light topspin.  The beauty of sidespin and pure backspin is that it is relatively easy to disguise the degree of spin with contact point deception and a foot stomp.  The ball trajectory doesn't reveal itself as quickly to the untrained eye until it is too late and at the highest levels, they don't need a huge popup to kill the ball, just something that is high or that isn't loaded with spin even if low.

Truly Long serves: I would guess topspin only because being late to the ball or getting something like an ace is more important and topspin controls the ball best at high speeds.

I would say the sidespin on a top/side serve is important to either cut the ball into opponent's pocket or make it break away from him/her on BH side.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2014 at 9:28pm

under spin service is the most used.

Аctual character of the spin is always disguised by the server.

Edited by igorponger - 06/28/2014 at 9:47pm
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2014 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

I find it interesting that many of those serves are done without watching the ball until contact.
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2014 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

I find it interesting that many of those serves are done without watching the ball until contact.

I have never observed a pro watch the ball contact on the serve. Once the ball passes below their chin they usually look towards the receiver. I think it's because of how close the ball is to the body when they make contact. The only exception might be the BH serve and even then I am not sure they watch the contact.
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2014 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

I have never observed a pro watch the ball contact on the serve. Once the ball passes below their chin they usually look towards the receiver. I think it's because of how close the ball is to the body when they make contact. The only exception might be the BH serve and even then I am not sure they watch the contact.

Yeah for the serve they have total control of the ball plus they practice it so many times, they just need to follow the first 75% of the ball trajectory after the toss, then they know exact where to make contact.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2014 at 2:50am

I disagree. I'd say that the pros use side and underspin in equal proportions, according to circumstances and personal style. In the video, perhaps most of those serves shown were sidespin only.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2014 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

Yeah for the serve they have total control of the ball plus they practice it so many times, they just need to follow the first 75% of the ball trajectory after the toss, then they know exact where to make contact.

Actually, I have seen many pros observe contact.  They don't observe the toss, but they often observe the contact.  It's largely peripheral vision so I am fairly sure they observe it all.

Edited by NextLevel - 06/29/2014 at 1:03pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic