Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Weird rubber cut.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SadistiClown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SadistiClown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird rubber cut.
    Posted: 07/09/2014 at 12:29pm
My friend recently cut and glued a couple rubbers for me and he told me he cut the forehand rubber bigger on purpose because "a bigger rubber gets a bigger sweet spot and slightly slows down. it's meant for a forehand drive". is cutting it past the wood actually a common thing or should i just cut off this excess bit of rubber.

Sponsored Links

*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 12:33pm
It just makes your bat heavier...I've never seen larger sweet spot by leaving more uncut sponge-rubber.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
SadistiClown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SadistiClown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

It just makes your bat heavier...I've never seen larger sweet spot by leaving more uncut sponge-rubber.

heavier on just one side? would that really effect it much? also i made the blade light for a reason so cutting it off seems like it would probably be best.

*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 12:54pm
It is up to you my friend.If you like your blade heavier just leave it as it is.If you want lighter cut them down and if you like, when you  cut them down, you could put an edje tape.It is all up to you.Put I DONT THINK to have more sweet spot if you leave the rubbers as they are.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 1:25pm
i think a couple of factors will be added due to the overhanging rubber:

first, you will get more excess vibration (along with a slightly more head heavy set up)

and second, if you play short game, and hit the edge of the racket on the table, your rubber will come apart from the blade - causing dead spots on your striking area extremities

:)
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 1:28pm
also you will sacrifice control ,because some of the vibrations will be absorb by this rubber.
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 3:48pm
the only advantage of oversize rubber is you can sell the used rubber easier.
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2014 at 2:02am
@SadisticClown,

Be careful there! You don't want to slide the edge of your racket when doing a low push. You could tear the rubber, even rip it off the blade that way.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2014 at 7:48am
Many pro Chinese players cut their rubber with overhang so it can't be bad. Wink

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2014 at 8:20am
I like to cut the rubber a little bigger too, as I like to switch blade, and re-glue often, it makes re-glue so much easier.  It does not add much weight, also 173g is not heavy, so I wouldn't worry about the weight.  The only downsize is, if you push and hit the table, the rubber may come off at the edge more easily.  As for enlarging the sweet spot, I doubt it very much.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2014 at 8:46am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Many pro Chinese players cut their rubber with overhang so it can't be bad. [IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif"

I don't think there is anything bad having overhanging rubber. But just keep in mind the overhanging rubber can catch onto the table if you are not careful with a low push, which may then rip the rubber off the blade.

Personally, I think it looks cool.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2014 at 8:47am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I like to cut the rubber a little bigger too, as I like to switch blade, and re-glue often, it makes re-glue so much easier.  It does not add much weight, also 173g is not heavy, so I wouldn't worry about the weight. 

Agreed.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2014 at 12:24am
I think overhang rubbers help cushion the bump while pushing.  So my blade has extra protection.  Edge tape is not a solution as it leaves hard to remove glue residue.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2014 at 12:42am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

Edge tape is not a solution as it leaves hard to remove glue residue.

@doraemon,

What edge tape are you referring to?

The edge tape I use has an adhesive side and is easy to peel off so no glue is left behind.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic