FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Influence of temp and humidity on H3 Neo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Influence of temp and humidity on H3 Neo
    Posted: 07/20/2014 at 11:10pm
I have been playing H3 Neo (red) on my forehand for some time now.
It is a very interesting rubber, as has been indicated here quite a bit on other threads. Gives me good control in spite of my not so great technique, allows nice spin and speed attacks, too.
Recently, I have noticed that when playing in strongly air conditioned clubs, the rubber - at least during the first 30 min or so - is hard to break in, the ball slides a bit, and even to the touch the surface feels damp. Other rubbers do not seem to be affected that way.

Does anyone know if this is specific to Hurricane 3 Neo, or is it just this particular sheet, or whatever else you may have to say about it, please do Thumbs Up .
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Sponsored Links

hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2014 at 11:23pm

Yeah, I have experienced this too not just with DHS tacky rubbers but Nittaku rubbers too (including tensor). When this happens, I either wipe the rubber with my hand or just give it a quick clean - I use Nittaku Mist (basically water and a bit of TT soap). Sometimes, I would breath on the rubbers before rubbing it with my hand.

After which, if my stroke is still affected by it, I just alter the angle a bit to compensate.

The only time when I totally gave up was when both my hitting partner and I were experiencing the same thing - he was using Tenergy, as for me Nittaku Fast Arc. We both could not hit the ball over the net for simple counter topspin shots - strangest feeling for us all, no matter how much cleaning and stroking efforts we put into it. The next day we played, we didn't experience this issue one slight bit.

Edit: Please ignore, it wasn't in a strongly air-conditioned environment. So, what I have said is not exactly matching to what the OP has stated.

Edited by hithithit - 07/20/2014 at 11:45pm
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2014 at 11:24pm
That does sound a little strange.  Usually rubbers get a damp feeling and the ball slides when you play in a non air-conditioned (or poorly conditioned) room where there is high humidity.  Even then it is usually the non-tacky (Euro style) rubbers that have the most problems and not Chinese rubbers.

What kind of environment is the blade in before you get it inside the club?

Looking forward to hearing others experience with this kind of thing.

Mark
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2014 at 11:27pm
Hithithit,

Were you in a relatively strongly air-conditioned environment when this happened?

As I posted, I have had this experience in poorly air-conditioned situations, but never in the strongly air-conditioned environment the OP was describing.

Mark
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2014 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

That does sound a little strange.  Usually rubbers get a damp feeling and the ball slides when you play in a non air-conditioned (or poorly conditioned) room where there is high humidity.  Even then it is usually the non-tacky (Euro style) rubbers that have the most problems and not Chinese rubbers.

What kind of environment is the blade in before you get it inside the club?

Looking forward to hearing others experience with this kind of thing.

Mark

True that it more likely to happen when it is high humidity. But I have experienced it when there didn't seem to be high humidity. I think I should invest in a hygrometer otherwise it is not a reliable measurement.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2014 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Hithithit,

Were you in a relatively strongly air-conditioned environment when this happened?

As I posted, I have had this experience in poorly air-conditioned situations, but never in the strongly air-conditioned environment the OP was describing.

Mark

No, not too strongly air-conditioned. I guess it crosses that out. I have since struck off the comment, so it is not misleading.

Thanks mjamja :)

Edited by hithithit - 07/20/2014 at 11:47pm
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2014 at 7:37pm
Okay, one "strongly air-conditioned" playing hall was a really big hall with areas where "the cold" and "the humid - from open doorsWink" air streams would mix, I guess to create the overall impression of a good air conditioning system. The point is, however - and I am sure we are not missing it - that H3 Neo (red) seemed to be much more affected than other rubbers. Looks though like it was just my impression, others deleted their initial agreeable comments. 
Oh, and the racket before that had travelled with me in in my car, at about 73-74 degF for about 30 min. 
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2014 at 8:51am

Some things will definitely affect the performance of the rubber.

Cold is a bad one. In Korea, when I get to the venue, the bat would be very cold (winters get kinda fierce there) and I had to use my belly, hold it in front of the floor space heater and flip it over every ten seconds... whatever it took to warm up both the topsheet and sponge. A very cold sponge will play rock hard without much spring or rebound resulting in very flat dead shots.

Humidity is another bad one. I would think that H3 would be a lot better at resisting humidity than others. It is possible that bringing the bat to a colder place would for a quick spell be trouble in that the temperature aof the rubber/topsheet is much higher than the venue and would make it prone to moisture in the air. I guess one way would be to leave your bat in the case and under your windshield on a sunny day for a hour or two to make it significantly higher than room temp, then take the bat out and then toss it in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes, pull it out, and try a few underspin cuts standing up, allowing the ball to go forward  3-5 feet and try to allow the ball to spin back to you. (BTW, that is great serve impact practice for underspin serves) If the rubber performs similar crappy, you know what you are dealing with.

Many of us take a small cooler to the venue and why not toss a bat in that joker on the way to the venue so when you get there, bat will be around the venue temp.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2014 at 8:54am
Jacek, this wasn't the same hall where I did the Sep 2013 Open, was it? That place supposedly had the A/C working half-azz at best. I did notice the venue wasn't totally like a refrigerator to American standards, but it was pretty decent by my standards coming from daily 90 degree / 90% + humidity with monsoons. My rubbers seemed to perform decent enough then, but then again, Aurus, Evolution, and XP 2008 are pretty resistant to forming condensation on the topsheet compared to others, but not immune.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2014 at 7:25pm
Some excellent points, BH-man. So, with my No 1 setup (below) I have had the same problem in a few places, one of them being the one you mentioned. They actually fixed the AC, and quite well (at least as of last couple of weeks), such that people want the two doors open, and that gives the warm-and-humid air access to the cold air. 
That said, again, my other setup sporting T-80 and the best backhand rubber ever (Thumbs Upmind you...) Nittaku HPBeta comfortably had retained its usual performance, while the H3 Neo was playing like an icy brick... almost. Or maybe I did not strike the ball the way I should... who cares, as my CA friend says, we all had fun anyways. 
It also may be the time to put a new sheet of H3 Neo on my racket.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic