Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which ball should our club buy to test?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which ball should our club get?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [36.36%]
6 [54.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 12:04am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Baal, can you weigh it or get someone to so we can check the tolerances?
  Will try, not sure when I will see him next.
Sponsored Links

hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 2:35am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

In increase in cost and reduction in durability will have a significant impact on smaller clubs. I do hope durability will improve and prices will come down over time.

I expect the price will drop.

The common price cycle of new technology products is:
1) Relatively high price at introduction
2) Price drops sharply as it is near maturity
3) Price stabilises at maturity
4) Price either bottoms out or spikes towards end of production life

Think smart phones, computer laptops, MP3 players, USB sticks.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 5:11am
I see the price is already much lower than that of the first released Palio pre-approved balls. They still cost 8+ RMB each now but the ittf approved Palio ball is like 5 RMB. May be they can still drop a little but may not be much.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 8:27am
I would suggest not buying until the price drops and quality/durability increases. Lower demand > price decrease > quality increase ?... maybe.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 11:40am
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

I would suggest not buying until the price drops and quality/durability increases. Lower demand > price decrease > quality increase ?... maybe.

note this disclaimer from this Dist. DHS 3 star 40+ table tennis ball made of new plastic material Approved by ITTTF. Available in the middle of July 2014. Official ball of World Games 2014-2016 6 pcs pack THESE BALLS ARE PRODUCED FROM NEW PLASTIC MATERIAL WHICH IS NOT AS DURABLE AS CELLULOID. WE TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY REGARDING THE DURABILITY OF THE BALL. http://www.dhs-tt.com/en/tt-ball-dhs-1-40-new-tt17406683

Pricing for clubs that provide 3-star balls for local RR play currently here is in the .50-.55 range, doubt they can afford to provide plastic balls 3-star anytime in the future unless the price drops significantly and durability increases.  Also durability issues may plague the seamed ball while the seamless reviews to date have not showed a significant durability issue this may led to seamless as the industry standard.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 12:43pm
Wow, they even admit that the balls are not durable.  Nice find.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Someone pointed this out earlier in an earlier post - what was still being considered was what the actual durability of the balls was.  But as long as the Nittaku does make a good ball, all will be well - others will either follow Nittaku or just be left on the sidelines.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 3:35pm

Someone pointed this out earlier in an earlier post - what was still being considered was what the actual durability of the balls was.  But as long as the Nittaku does make a good ball, all will be well - others will either follow Nittaku or just be left on the sidelines.

down to the Nittaku as the best hope for the seamed plastic Tongue, I read somewhere that they will be out in Oct 2014 in what volume and price is an open question.  
It seems everyone views the seamless as the ugly duckling it could be the easier ball to manufacture in volume, has good durability and with volume manufacturing a shot at the cheaper choice long term, the ITTF could say seamless in Jan 2016, thats all folksAngry
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 3:49pm
It doesnt matter as long as it has oval shape and bounces.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 4:00pm
I have placed a small order of the Joola Balls & Donic balls from megaspin.

I will post my impressions of the new balls, how they compare to celluloid & with each other. 

Both poly balls are with seams.

I will also try to get some footage from club of various players hitting with it.

Edited by suds79 - 07/28/2014 at 4:01pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 9:23am
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

down to the Nittaku as the best hope for the seamed plastic Tongue, I read somewhere that they will be out in Oct 2014 in what volume and price is an open question.  
It seems everyone views the seamless as the ugly duckling it could be the easier ball to manufacture in volume, has good durability and with volume manufacturing a shot at the cheaper choice long term, the ITTF could say seamless in Jan 2016, thats all folksAngry

Doubt they would want to piss off Nittaku and DHS that much, and those two companies have deeper pockets and can pay much larger bribes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic